Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 6 vs 4, a different question
MoveQik
post Jun 30 2011, 08:09 AM
Post #21

What size wheels can I fit?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(brant @ Jun 30 2011, 05:23 AM) *

you'd be a lot safer planning on 10 for the conversion process

I would agree with Brant. Even if you did all the work yourself, I think $4k is unrealistic. If you are lucky like John, perhaps you can sell parts to offset some of the cost. I don't know of anyone lately that has purchased a good, strong 3.0, 3.2 or 3.6 for less than the $5-8k prices that you mentioned.

Just for fun, try and come up with an "all inclusive" list of parts that you MUST have to do the conversion. Then start shopping around and see what you would pay if you had to buy them today. No cheating....don't say, "I can find it cheaper if I look for a deal" Write down the price as of today and add it all up. I think you be shocked at how quickly it adds up.

You can start with Mark's list but I am sure there is more!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 30 2011, 08:54 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 29 2011, 07:57 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Everyone wants a sweet deal but no one wants this one. Go figure? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) That's OK though. Till I sell it I still get to drive it every week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

You have a wonderful car, but don't take lack of interest personally.

Did you see what Bill P. finally got for The Beast, also a great car, built from the ground up with all the right stuff?

Race car prices are worse than this economy at present.

+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jun 30 2011, 08:57 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My budget spreadsheet is looking like $7k for the conversion parts and engine...and selling off the 4-cyl stuff and CIS for around $2500...so I guess it'll be possible to do the conversion for around 4500-5000 total.

Then again my engine is the unloved 2.7 that I got a deal on and will slap some known-good carbs on it.
I'd LOVE to have a 3.2, but having a total of under 3500 into what I have now (motor/fuel delivery) it's hard to think of spending 2500-3000 more for a nice 3.2.

I have a feeling I'll go maybe $1k over that number...but one can dream.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 30 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 30 2011, 07:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 29 2011, 07:57 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Everyone wants a sweet deal but no one wants this one. Go figure? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) That's OK though. Till I sell it I still get to drive it every week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

You have a wonderful car, but don't take lack of interest personally.

Did you see what Bill P. finally got for The Beast, also a great car, built from the ground up with all the right stuff?

Race car prices are worse than this economy at present.

It's not personal. I understand the economy plays a huge factor. My post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I truly do understand why the car hasn't sold yet and I'm cool with it.
The decision people need to make is, buy a car already done or buy the parts piece by piece and make the car the way YOU want it not what someone else wanted. That's in fact what I'm doing with my other car and I think that way might even be more fun than buying a car already done. If you put the car together yourself, you also have the advantage of knowing the car inside and out and it will be much easier to maintain it in the future. You know... When it breaks down in the desert coming home from a Rout 66 tour. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 30 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #25

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 30 2011, 10:09 AM) *

I would agree with Brant. Even if you did all the work yourself, I think $4k is unrealistic. If you are lucky like John, perhaps you can sell parts to offset some of the cost. I don't know of anyone lately that has purchased a good, strong 3.0, 3.2 or 3.6 for less than the $5-8k prices that you mentioned.

Just for fun, try and come up with an "all inclusive" list of parts that you MUST have to do the conversion. Then start shopping around and see what you would pay if you had to buy them today. No cheating....don't say, "I can find it cheaper if I look for a deal" Write down the price as of today and add it all up. I think you be shocked at how quickly it adds up.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) My list was just off the top of my head. There is more needed to complete. Spedo sensor, O2 sensor, other dme parts, oil fittings, ect. and the "while you are there stuff" Just the GT style oil cooler setup is 2K when all is said and done.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jun 30 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 30 2011, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 30 2011, 10:09 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) My list was just off the top of my head. There is more needed to complete. Spedo sensor, O2 sensor, other dme parts, oil fittings, ect. and the "while you are there stuff" Just the GT style oil cooler setup is 2K when all is said and done.

Yea, I'll second that. When we were building The Beast Earl's Plumbing, Summit Racing, High Performance House and other vendors were very happy with all the "stuff" needed to complete a build.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Jun 30 2011, 02:14 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 10,741

I don't know of anyone lately that has purchased a good, strong 3.0, 3.2 or 3.6 for less than the $5-8k prices that you mentioned.

I picked up an entire 911 car for $6k with a good 3.0L (as far as I know, of course). Most of the interior was missing, but it was drive-able and I drove it 150 miles home.

I also got in on the group buys for the oil tank and engine metal. Then a Christmas sale on MSDS headers. Found some Weber carbs for $300 in a garage sale and got them rebuilt and jetted, with PMO manifolds my entire carb conversion will be around $1500. Same clutch from the /4 can be used, just need a new flywheel.

There are deals out there, just gotta look and sometimes be lucky. I think my /6 conversion will be 4 digits in $$ (once I sell the rest of the 911 and /4 parts). If it's more, I don't really care - to buy a new sports car these days you're looking at 30k+.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 30 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

Many 3.2's have cracked fan shrouds. Mine did. OEM is NLA from anyone. even used gets top dollar and no warrenty they won't fail as well. Vertex sells new castings for $600. Ask a rep nicely and you can get one for 500 inc shipping.

Fuel injector cleaning $20x6
Heavier rear springs
H 5th gear
911 intermediate plate

I wanted heat-
SS heat exchangers $2500
heat ducts for engine 120
new hose

Add in a couple hundred for u haul rentals.
+Quote Post
John
post Jun 30 2011, 07:57 PM
Post #29

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

I suppose that I should confess that this was not my FIRST conversion, and I have been wrenching on 914's for more than 20 years, and that I am accustomed to fabricating what I need and patiently build my collection piece by piece.

Currently, I am collecting for my 930 engine to put into a DE 914. My shell was free, the engine was removed from my 930 (I swapped motors in that), I have a 915 to mate to it (with a Vellios kit).

I do need time to put it all together and I have yet to figure out how best to fabricate an exhaust for the beast.

Patience is a big key to good deals.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 30 2011, 08:50 PM
Post #30

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Your best bet is a place like Parts Heaven. I almost bought a salvaged 911 2.7 for $4k once. The car was a driver. You can get a motor and part it out to pay for the rest of your needs.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Jun 30 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 10,741

QUOTE(John @ Jun 30 2011, 05:57 PM) *

I suppose that I should confess that this was not my FIRST conversion, and I have been wrenching on 914's for more than 20 years, and that I am accustomed to fabricating what I need and patiently build my collection piece by piece.

What machine did you use to fabricate your block off plates?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 30 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #32

914-6 GT in waiting

I'm a big fan of placing a WTB on pelican classified-or any classified for that matter. You set your terms and sellers come to you. You don't have to be 1st to a deal, just be the one to ask for it. There are plenty of sellers who want easy and no hassle over top dollar and they don't want tons of phone calls from flakey tire kickers. You have nothing to loose by asking.
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Jun 30 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #33

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

I hate to discourage people but your price is very optimistic. By the time you get engine, oil tank and hoses, coolers, exhaust, wiring, gauges, clutch, conversion parts and not to mention all the small stuff your wallet will be crippled. Take a look at the August Excellence Magazine and you will see actual numbers I published regarding costs. The prices may scare you right into a Kia (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Whatever actual numbers you come up with, add 20% for the unknown and you will be close

The article is on line Project 914 3.6 Part 18
+Quote Post
John
post Jun 30 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #34

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

QUOTE(patssle @ Jun 30 2011, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(John @ Jun 30 2011, 05:57 PM) *

What machine did you use to fabricate your block off plates?

Machine?

I used a plasma cutter to cut out sheet metal from a pattern, a hammer to form into shape, a welder to weld it up, a hand punch to punch holes.......

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Twise
post Jul 1 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 6,881
Region Association: Southern California

I have 10 or 11K in my engine swap. I bought a totaled 1971 911S in San Fran. I paid 3000.00. The owner was a friend and long time customer so he gave it to me for the salvage cost. I got the motor with webers, the fuchs and a few other goodies. I sold the rolling chassis for 2500.00. I thought I was ahead of the game. The engine was built by a trusted source, but I still topped 3500.00 having it re-built. BTDT - YOU WILL SPEND 10K OR MORE DOING THIS SWAP...

btw - I am about to drop 1600.00 to have my webers rebuilt. The hits just keep coming.

There comes a point when you just know you will never get the money back out of the car. I recently thought of selling my car, but changed my mind when I saw what it would fetch. My family owns and operates a collision shop in Ca. and even with the savings I picked up there, I have over 30K into my car. There is a reason that most of us spend years with our cars on jack stands. Money, time and distractions from every day life.

However, my car is truly my car and there is not one other 914 on the road that is its twin. That makes it all worth while. Good luck man...
+Quote Post
brp986s
post Jul 1 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 8,167

I had most of a 3.2 laying around. Figured rather than sell 1 part/month for the next 10 yrs I'd just go ahead and complete it. All I needed was P/C and some odds and ends. Couldn't resist the Mahle Motorsports. Having those, well you don't want to jeopardize them with old studs and tensioners. Forgot about the missing fan, alt, housing. Etc etc... Next thing you know I got more into completing this "essentially complete" engine than you're planning for your whole project. Ironic thing is, I've made a 1/3 of it back in Porsche stock in the last 3 months.
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Jul 1 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

Since I have never driven any 4, Stock or Built.. I guess I'd have to drive or at least ride in most of the possibilities, 4 and 6 before throwing down some hard earned cash to build one. Would hate to find out after the fact what I was missing ?? Or could have had for X number of dollars more or less.....

Then again, I haven't driven my own car since 86, so what do I know ??
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 1 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #38

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

A 914 with a 4 and a 914 with a 6 are two very different things. When you have gotten used to a 4, a 6 feels like someone strapped on rocket packs.

Zach
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 1 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #39

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 1 2011, 06:20 PM) *

A 914 with a 4 and a 914 with a 6 are two very different things. When you have gotten used to a 4, a 6 feels like someone strapped on rocket packs.

Zach

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I was planning on reusing my 2.0/4 until I drove a 3.2/6.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 1 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #40

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jul 1 2011, 05:45 PM) *

Since I have never driven any 4, Stock or Built.. I guess I'd have to drive or at least ride in most of the possibilities, 4 and 6 before throwing down some hard earned cash to build one. Would hate to find out after the fact what I was missing ?? Or could have had for X number of dollars more or less.....

Then again, I haven't driven my own car since 86, so what do I know ??

To funny....
So, set me up...make me drink from the 6 well of power.

I have time...winter project is my plan.
Still trying to get this 911 running right...
I have fallen in love with the 3.2 power plant...but I know how my brain works and I will want more power.
Building my own motor will do the trick...a 3.4 would be nice...

Rich
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 02:19 AM