Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 15 16 17  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2011 RRC Sept. 9-11 UPDATED INFO, Ouray, CO
rick 918-S
post Sep 11 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #321

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Sandy and I are in Lusk WY. Were headed for the Black Hills in the morning. So far no real issues. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I would really like to see Kent post. I have been where he is with a dead car and no way to get it home. It's not fun but is has to be an acceptable part of the risk of a long distance road trip.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Sep 11 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #322

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

I was there when he drove off, after the cap and timing Sat. night we called it quits but the reason it didnt fire was the head temp sesor was not reconnected.

Kent plugged it in and tuned it with the timming light and hit the road (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

had a great time and will post pics and video ASAP
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Sep 12 2011, 08:38 AM
Post #323

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

I left Ouray at 7 AM. Kent caught up to me in Green River, UT ... after I killed 3 hours in various places.

He used a full tank of gas between Ridgefield and Las Vegas ... found his return line pinched off by the air cleaner.

He made it home about 11:00 PM just like me .... hell of a run ... rain, hail, snow over the passes and one hell of a storm in St George, UT.

All is good.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Sep 12 2011, 09:05 AM
Post #324

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Glad to hear that worked out OK.
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Sep 12 2011, 09:07 AM
Post #325

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

Good to hear he got it straightened out.
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Sep 12 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #326

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27

Glad he made it back home.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 12 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #327

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

It's true. It's all true. I think the only reason that I made it to Ouray is that Ron ran his finger over the center contact and it popped out it's last .010". The car wasn't the problem; it was the owner. I missed that in my pre trip inspection. I also have a good idea of what I need to travel with for future breakdowns. Mine and others. Tony Binglis used to tell me that planes don't "just break down". They've been trying to tell you about the upcoming breakdown and you weren't listening. This is a good example. Mine told me 3 weeks ago. The idle mysteriously dropped. The car basically sat until the run to RRC. The 2nd time it told me was climbing the runs out of SoCal. The performance just wasn't there which I passed off as a tired engine. (Yeah; tired of my lack of concern.) When I got it started Sunday morning it tried to tell me that I had missed something. But in my rush to "get the hell out of Dodge" while it was running I turned a deaf ear to it's protest. To wit: gas pressure. A mistake that I shouldn't have made. Believe your gages before your intuition. The gage sender was in question after variances of 40psi between desert temps of 107F to an evening temp of 58F. So when I saw the pressure pegged at 100+ psi I thought that it had rolled over and died. But as Slits mentioned, I was going thru gas twice as fast as his 6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) So, while I waited in Jean to hook up with Ron I decdided to investigate a new gas smell. I found gas on the left side of the engine bay and thought that an injector was the culprit but traced it back the the PRV. It was the one I had gotten from Eric and it was leaking at the adjusting screw. No problem. I just put the old one back on. When I pulled the discharge side off the PRV it didn't spill any gas. Hmmm. Then I removed the hose from the other side and it shot gas everywhere. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) When I removed the air cleaner to improve access to the PRV the problem revealed itself. I had clamped the air box over the return line rendering the PRV useless. The gage was right! That's the nuts "n bolts" of it. But all good stories have their heroes and this one is no different. I would like to thank Brant, Joe O., Ron, Melba, Ed, Andy, Ed dV and Doug for their undying dedication to these cars and the people that drive them. These people were out working on someone else's (me) car until 1:30 am while missing "the party". Thank you from the bottom of my heart. kent ps I think one of my CV's went south a few blocks from home last night. I made it in but it was shaking. Whew! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Sep 12 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #328

Best friends

Member No.: 231

Glad you made it Kent. I hate it when someone has a problem, but I love it when I can help out with something that I brought along. My theory is that if I bring, it won't need it for myself - it's working well so far! Next year there will be a spare distro cap in the trunk.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 12 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #329

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Sep 12 2011, 01:23 PM) *

Glad you made it Kent. I hate it when someone has a problem, but I love it when I can help out with something that I brought along. My theory is that if I bring, it won't need it for myself - it's working well so far! Next year there will be a spare distro cap in the trunk.

LOL. Hey Ernie, PM me w/ your shipping info. I want to return your timing light and dwell meter as quickly as possible. Thx again, kent
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Sep 12 2011, 02:45 PM
Post #330

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881

Good to hear Kent! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 12 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #331

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

wow

I'm so glad to hear you made it Kent!
glad everyone is making it back

+Quote Post
RS22b
post Oct 9 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #332

Type Broken!

Member No.: 3,425

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 12 2011, 05:25 PM) *

wow

I always dream of going to this event, but find it really hard to make the trip out with a car that doesn't really run correctly ever and the fact that im from NJ...

PICS and videos please? Just want to dream of one year making it out...

thanks! and hope all had a good time!
+Quote Post
SharonG
post Oct 9 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #333

Snow tire

Member No.: 3,920

QUOTE(RS22b @ Oct 9 2011, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 12 2011, 05:25 PM) *

wow

I always dream of going to this event, but find it really hard to make the trip out with a car that doesn't really run correctly ever and the fact that im from NJ...

PICS and videos please? Just want to dream of one year making it out...

thanks! and hope all had a good time!

Check this link for photos (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 15 16 17
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 03:37 PM