Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jim Kelly's V8 re-conversion
jimkelly
post Sep 27 2016, 03:12 PM
Post #461

Delaware USA

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

my 1990 suby legacy is acting up so i am back to driving 914 for now.

turns out that despite best efforts, it is not very easy to uninstall and reinstall a timing cover and oil pan, and completely seal them both, with engine in car. my engine still leaks, more than before, thus i am now looking at removing engine from car, so i can repair this with engine upside down on engine stand. just wish i had my hoist here at work : (

watching steve do it has given me the confidence to give it a shot myself, along with a few youtube videos. we put a one piece felpro got at his local advanceauto on it and they are reusable, is that is good.

while i am in there i will check the teeth on my starter and flywheel to make sure non are missing as i have a weird sound when i start my engine.

also, one other problem with my car is the trans. i think i have end play. noticeable when i let off gas and then get back on it with a foot a tad bit more then very mild.

lastly, i've bleed my brakes to death and they are still pathetic : (

miserable drive to work this week, they were repairing the road and had all traffic standing still for about 30 mins. a ridiculous number of cars pulled u turns but i had no alternate route possibility : (

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 27 2016, 03:20 PM
Post #462

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I think the guy in front of you was taunting you!
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Sep 27 2016, 03:29 PM
Post #463

Delaware USA

you noticed that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Sep 28 2016, 09:50 AM
Post #464

Delaware USA

my excuses are running thin. looks like the wife won't be seeing much of me this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

don't need hoist to get engine out BUT do need it to get engine on stand, so i can work on engine upside down.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Sep 30 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #465

Delaware USA

decided to tackle this over the weekend at home in the comfort of my garage and closeness of my tools. bringing home an engine stand and made this lift bracket from some scrap laying around the shop.

and the removed for cleaning iacv from my 1990 legacy, could be causing my stalling issues?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 2 2016, 10:28 AM
Post #466

Delaware USA

the weather is rainy and overcast here in DE this weekend. I jacked car up yesterday in an attempt to actually see the source of the leak BUT holy shit, my car looks like it was deep fried, southern style, oil every where. add to this I just started wearing progressives, vision sucks, and being in the dim light does NOT help.

though I was fucked with suby and 914 not being driveable. checked some online threads for suby stalling (at idle and while driving) and found a few, one suggest fuel filter, and being the easiest, I bought a new one an popped it in.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/...alling-at-idle/

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/...ing-138323.html

well, first for the oil pics.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 2 2016, 10:30 AM
Post #467

Delaware USA

and now for the dirty gas in the OLD suby fuel filter. $47 for new filter at advancedauto, the only one they had in stock. I have suby running right now in driveway, idleing and no stall so far. drove it up street and all seemed smooth. looks like I have a car to drive to work this week, and more time to deal with 914. I did later in day drive it to gas station to fill up and on way home it did act up. and then again when idleing in driveway. not nearly as bad as last week, before filter change. may have to try a bottle of water remover in tank and injector cleaner in tank too??

I realized that I do miss driving my 914 v8. can't wait to get it buttoned up and driving it everyday again.

saga continues thus the plethera of suby pics. even with new fue3l filter, car still acted up. so i did a seafoam thru idle air control valve proceedure which seems to have helped some too. but then i discovered that my car was throwing a code 23, which is manifold air flow valve, so i ordered one from ebay, threw it in and car ran FAR WORSE, so i reinstalled orig MAF. i tried a swap of my cam sensor, but no change. i will do a maf sensor cleaning next, and may install a fuel pressure guage to be certain i have the expected 36 psi. lastly, the tranny is doing the suby binding thing again. hate simultaneous issues : (

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 14 2016, 12:21 PM
Post #468

Delaware USA

my 1967 283 arrives. seller tore it down and basically rebuilt and ran it. gonna replace my 307.

still need to pull my oil covered 307 out and then swap all needed parts over, trans, renegade trans conversion parts, carbs, etc etc etc.

and update on my 1990 Subaru, my SUPPOSED daily driver till me 914 gets back on the road. started stumbling again, so I have iacv out and will clean it and the maf. hoses so hard that they cracked, and I cracked a tee as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 15 2016, 11:20 AM
Post #469

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Jim, I'm guessing that you do not have the factory engine manual. If not, your chasing your tail. The factory manual will give you the diagnostic procedure to follow up on the error code. It will be something like; check pin 1 for "X" volts when key is on; pin2 will have "X" volt with key off, etc, etc. Informative and easy to follow. Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 16 2016, 09:21 AM
Post #470

Delaware USA

I do have the factory manuals but until last week I thought my suby was missing one of its two green diagnostic plugs. turns out someone removed the tcu in the past, I could tell cause one of the two nuts holding it in place was missing, when I removed it, I discovered that the other green diagnostic plug had been pushed up and buried where it could not been seen normally. so I will do the green plug testing one I have the iacv back in. got to replace a bunch of heat brittled hoses to do this. thanks : )

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 15 2016, 10:20 AM) *

Jim, I'm guessing that you do not have the factory engine manual. If not, your chasing your tail. The factory manual will give you the diagnostic procedure to follow up on the error code. It will be something like; check pin 1 for "X" volts when key is on; pin2 will have "X" volt with key off, etc, etc. Informative and easy to follow. Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 16 2016, 09:34 AM
Post #471

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 14 2016, 11:21 AM) *

my 1967 283 arrives. seller tore it down and basically rebuilt and ran it. gonna replace my 307.

still need to pull my oil covered 307 out and then swap all needed parts over, trans, renegade trans conversion parts, carbs, etc etc etc.

Man I hope you are running a different Water pump on the 283. Reminds me of my buick v8 with how far that water pump sticks out. LOL! Can't remember what you were running on your 307
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 16 2016, 02:20 PM
Post #472

Delaware USA

yes. I have renegade water pump to swap onto this 283, from my 307. the guy I bought this engine from just tossed this water pump on in case I needed one. great guy. though I've seen some colling problem threads that say the renegade pumps get corroded, etc, and need replace from time to time.

though I am thinking about electric pump and dedenbear manifold instead.
http://www.dedenbear.com/TXTwHead.htm
+Quote Post
rightpedal
post Nov 26 2016, 06:56 AM
Post #473

rightpeda;

Member No.: 19,133

Hey Jim any progress on the 307?? I am dying to know where the leak is. I have ten bucks says it is the timing cover at the oil pan from our second "fix".

Steve
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Nov 26 2016, 08:48 AM
Post #474

Delaware USA

rigthpeddle, contact me the day you decide to pack the moving van. as for 914, I knew for sure but the thought of taking the OIL SATURATED engine out and attempting to fix the leak and putting it back in with the potential of not fixing it, has me unmotivated. so I bought a refurbished 283 for $350 delivered, a from a really nice guy, whose wife's it turns out is seriously ill and he was down sizing his toys. I need to pull my 307 and get this 283 in, which is something I can do myself, except for getting the distributor back on properly. cause I did not have a reliable daily driver, I bought a Honda fit (perfect timing cause our nissan versa just got paid off), and it has HEAT, which is actually pretty nice in the winter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) and is automatic in traffic. the problem with my 914 is that it is a money pit, i'm pretty sure it has some UNGOOD backlash in the trans, needs a new starter, and the alt belt vibes its ass off though the old cracked harmonic dampener could have been partly to blame? aside from that, I bleed the shit out of the brakes and they still suck, guess I have air in master or proportioning valve. and then there is the costly alignment a 914 needs. my wife was, justifiable so, getting tired of the unexpected 914 expenses. so for now, she is back on jackstands, not the wife (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) the 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 26 2016, 10:38 AM
Post #475

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Good looking honda! I am surprised you were able to drive a 914 daily for so long!
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jun 17 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #476

Delaware USA

finally getting around to removing oily v8.

might convert both my cars to suby engine/trans?

starting with this one cause it already has a radiator in it?

my son being home for the summer helped me out. the two of us being about equally unmechanically inclined worked pretty hard in tandem getting the mufflers off using wrenches and big pipe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

if my wife didn't have somewhere to be, we would have had engine out in about one more hour. will do tomorrow.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jun 18 2017, 10:55 AM
Post #477

Delaware USA

engine out.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Dec 15 2018, 04:12 PM
Post #478

Delaware USA

planning to get my 914 back on the road. someday : )

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html

note to self.
sealant on thru hole.

heads >> http://www.competitionproducts.com/World-P...A/#.XB7j71xKjcs

decided to lose some of the renegade stuff, and not do dedenbear components after all, to minimize cost and the number of components and hose connections on the front of my engine. going back to heavy stock water pump as i had it before, since i already have a hole in my firewall. gonna go with mechanical fuel pump too, to limit how many things that need 12v also. and plan to get rid of the headers which makes access to spark plugs less pleasant, and replace with iron exhaust manifolds. mostly i want reliability and i plan to make exhaust real quiet.

nice little rams horns discussion.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads...huggers.825134/

i'm willing to give up some performance for simplicity.

i did pick up cheap, a modified dedenbear expansion tank which i hope to be able to use.
http://www.dedenbear.com/Cool_cat.htm

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/search.php...section=product

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EzxmVG7hlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuNuv6y2css

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrMa_OM1tMQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFv7WcrGFY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4WRL513Gx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQNooaW6g74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBxgDbvoeqE

5200rpm rams horns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe9ke0rQlT8

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 15 2018, 05:23 PM
Post #479

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bperry @ Nov 1 2015, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 1 2015, 04:43 PM) *

this is getting ridiculous. I really need a pickup truck. my hot water heater broke and I needed to replace it today. Porsche 914 to the rescue. even had to remove the trunk lid to pull this off.

I'm curious if it made it home safely without falling out.

Around here in Dallas for $20 you can rent one of their trucks for a little over an hour.
I have done this many times over the years.

--- bill

LA larger area as well.

You could build a 914 v8 pick up. Rod Simpson hybrids had one a few years ago when I was last there. Silver over BK

Bob B
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Dec 15 2018, 07:50 PM
Post #480

Delaware USA

but i finally got a pick up truck : )

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:19 AM