Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attention world, any Subaru projects being planned?, 12/9 Back up and running!
wingnut86
post Jan 10 2013, 03:18 PM
Post #161

...boola la boo boola boo...

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,645
Region Association: South East States

That's not Ian.

The real Ian's hair turned white overnight dealing with his new vendors and suppliers:D

Maybe a bit of Honors vector calculus to boot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thenewwazoo
post Jan 18 2013, 11:19 AM
Post #162

Member No.: 10,883
Region Association: Northern California

Got the first axle test-fitted with my cradle (not Ian's design). Everything fits with no binding. Good times.

Ian, your axles don't have the lip needed for the Porsche CV spring washer. Is this a problem?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
IM101
post Jan 18 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #163

Member No.: 12,367
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yep the missing slot (as you can see from the picture) is intentionally done by Sway-A-Way, its there "floating" design that allows for better torque transfer.

Got the image from Eric Shes thread on 5 lug conversion (which also shows how to put the Porsche CV together BTW)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91963

Attached Image
+Quote Post
thenewwazoo
post Jan 18 2013, 11:53 AM
Post #164

Member No.: 10,883

Right-o! So I just skip using the conical washer altogether, then. Thanks!
+Quote Post
IM101
post Jan 28 2013, 05:28 PM
Post #165

I am gearing up for another production run on the cradles, as i am sold out!

Also I am finally getting to the cable shift set up for the subaru 5mt. it is part of a customers build its a "got to" get done at this point. I will let update with some progress.

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 28 2013, 06:25 PM
Post #166

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Pencil me in for a cable setup...
+Quote Post
IM101
post May 16 2013, 10:12 PM
Post #167

Hello everyone, First off apologies for going in silent running mode for a while.  With an upcoming wedding and honeymoon, graduation/class, website rebuild, part time photographer job, a full ez30d build, and I’m sure I’m forgetting one of the 100 other projects on the todo list, overwhelmed is a good description of my life as of late.  To complicate things I am losing the shop that I have been working at compliments of JRust (thanks again btw, it’s been a real blessing).  I’m trying to take it in stride and viewing the loss of space as an opportunity to get organized and slimmed down for the big move to Boise ID this summer.  My fiancé was accepted to several grad programs (math) and we decided Boise was a good fit.

This will mean both immediate and long-term changes for Coldwater.  Immediately I will be trying to liquidate as much of my inventory/parts horde as possible, not only to make it easier to move but also, I need the cash for our Europe honeymoon (going to try and make it to the nurenbergring!!! As well as Greece Italy and Spain) as well as getting funding built up for getting the shop reestablished and running in Boise.  I have a production run of cradles to sell (of which several of you have dibs on, and I will be getting in touch with you shortly), axles, a couple of spools, transmissions, a complete ej22t, and more that I will be getting rid of (details in my member vendor thread).

Many of you have been asking the status on the cable shifter for the Subaru trans… I have still not been able to develop this further unfortunately but I know how much you guys need this part so I’m really going to try too get the production going and be able to ship a run out before the wedding in July.  I don’t need a full shop for that anyway…
Post wedding, things will have to change a little; while the wife will full tuition and a teaching assistantship I will be taking the lead and landing a good career building position in Boise.  What exactly this means for Coldwater I don’t know, I’m hoping that I will have some extra income/freetime to invest in the company, but who knows… I know more than a few of my customers have been dealing with job loss and economic difficulties.  Whatever the case my wife and our future is top priority and Coldwater will most likely have to take a secondary or tertiary position.

With all this in mind I’d Like to take a moment to say thanks to all of my customers and the 914 community for allowing me to take Coldwater this far.  I sincerely hope/believe that I will be able to continue to be serve and be a part of this community after the move (hell I better be, by then I will have my own 914 finally completed!!)
Best Regards
-Ian Megale
Cold Water Conversion LLC
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post May 16 2013, 10:30 PM
Post #168

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

PM's sent.
+Quote Post
IM101
post May 20 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #169

the list is up in my member vendor thread. Help me move and afford a honeymoon!

Thanks guys,
Ian
+Quote Post
badmiata
post May 28 2013, 01:09 PM
Post #170

Member No.: 7,826
Region Association: None

Ian, I dont have a 914 (yet) I do have a WRX though. I have taken a ride in DBCoopers car and it was eye opening to say the least. If I were to do this I would like to use a 2.5 with wrx & trans. Then use the stock ecu in the hopes of using a Cobb accessport for any tuning. They have a lot of useful parts...such as a lunch control...umm. In doing this I want the drive by wire as well. I would NEED AC! I have seen those under dash units will they hook up to the wrx compressor? Bob Loblaw! Oh yea question...When using an stock ecu do you need to use two keys? The 2.5 wrx's all have immoblizers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Just dont want to be on a 5 yr plain would like to get an idea on paper first. P.S. I was also thinking of methanol injection and keeping the intercooler were it is. I really liked the air to water idea but I need ac too. Does anyone know if the newer engines with the plastic intakes would run cooler temps for the intercooler? I know this is a lot but it gives your thread a bump too.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Jun 6 2013, 07:48 PM
Post #171

well if you want to go with the 2.5 the issue of DBW and chipped keys come up, however the easiest way to deal with both of those issues is by swapping the entire steering column/cluster from the WRX.
look up ruby914's build thread, basically exactly what you are looking for.

let me know if you have any other questions!

-Ian
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jun 7 2013, 05:54 AM
Post #172

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

Switching the steering column is the easiest? Another alternative is to use an aftermarket ECU. It's more expensive, but pretty sure it's easier than switching columns, modifying the harness, etc.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Jun 7 2013, 07:07 AM
Post #173

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

On my conversion I keep the stock steering wheel and gauge cluster. I've posted the wiring conversion on how to do it.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=199291&hl=
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jun 7 2013, 07:26 AM
Post #174

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

QUOTE(904svo @ Jun 7 2013, 06:07 AM) *

On my conversion I keep the stock steering wheel and gauge cluster. I've posted the wiring conversion on how to do it.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=199291&hl=

Yeah, but you're a lot smarter than the rest of us. Me, anyway.

+Quote Post
IM101
post Jun 7 2013, 08:52 AM
Post #175

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 7 2013, 04:54 AM) *

Switching the steering column is the easiest? Another alternative is to use an aftermarket ECU. It's more expensive, but pretty sure it's easier than switching columns, modifying the harness, etc.

Ah yes that is true... the way he phrased the question seemed like he had his ecu picked out (Cobb AP), but your right it is worth mentioning. A standalone ecu is definitely a possibility.

-Ian
+Quote Post
IM101
post Jun 7 2013, 07:21 PM
Post #176

Hey guys, inventory is getting lower, head over to my member vender thread for exact levels.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Jul 12 2013, 12:35 AM
Post #177

I Get married tomorrow and will be gone on honeymoon/moving probably until mid august. feel free to email me with any questions, I will respond when I'm back stateside and settled. Thanks for all the support! See you on the other side!
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Jul 12 2013, 08:38 AM
Post #178

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Congrats on the wedding. Best of luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Jul 12 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #179

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

Congrats!
+Quote Post
IM101
post Sep 1 2013, 09:48 AM
Post #180

Hey guys,

Sorry I have been out of touch lately, the wedding, honeymoon, and move has been a (predictably) a whirlwind. We have been in Boise for a couple of weeks now but are still waiting to move into our apartment on September 10th. Right now my top priority is getting settled in and getting a job to get some money coming in before we have to start paying rent. As much fun as Coldwater is it takes time, money, and a shop space to get back going again all of which I do not have at the moment. It’s also tough because as much as I love working on Coldwater it is still in its infancy and it eats what little profits in growth (new products and such) and I need something that I can give the support my new wife needs to get through grad school! Once I do get started back up that may mean price increases or I don't know what... guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Moving forward, I landed real-estate photography gig just to get us by for a bit and enable the search for a higher paying position to continue. I’m hoping that I will be able to find something that gives me enough capital to find a small shop and get started again. If anyone has any leads in Boise please feel free to PM me!

Otherwise for those interested in products, if there is enough interest I could possibly ***possibly, take a long weekend scoot back to Oregon and get a small production run busted out. I’d like to compile a list of who is serious and what they are ready to buy, if that is you please send an email to ian@coldwater914.com with the subject line of “parts interest list,” and I’ll see what I can do.

-Ian
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 10:27 AM