Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Converting to a 914-6, Back yard Bob's (Dan's) way
Root_Werks
post Aug 5 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #1

Village Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay, so this is about the 5th 914-6 conversion I have done. They are all drivers to this day. Heck, Even Craigh Laughlin has one of my old ones! My goal is to put as many 914-6's out on the road as possible since I think that is what the desing intended for them to be anyway. Anyway, I have heard soem thoughts about costs or how hard it is to convert. Nah, just time really. yeah, a few parts, but mostly just some time. Lets visit the part$ shall we. You will probalby need the following (as in not worth making):

Tank - Lots-o-options, but don't spend over $500 on one
Headers - $450 - 500
Mount - Zowie! Lots-o-options here as well. I have a jig to make my own, it works, but takes time. It is not hard, but takes a lot of time. I gave up and grabbed a patrick moly mount just today. I am running out of time.

Everyting else, you can make or do yourself. I will show you how in this thread over the next couple of weeks since that is all the time I have left!

Here is a shot of the holes drilled for the oil tank. Yep, I am using a Vellios tank yet again. They work great and use the later filters. Also, you can go down to your local industrial supply shop and have them make the pressure hose for like $40. The suction hose is even easier, but more on that later.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(120 - 139)
Root_Werks
post Jan 12 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #121

Village Idiot

Bummer, I didn't bring the left side heater tube picture with me. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) Oh well, here is a couple of shots of the bell crank throttle linkage installed, the hole in the rear tin etc...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 12 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #122

Village Idiot

Last one I brought with me today.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jan 12 2005, 12:13 PM
Post #123

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Here's my Root Bell Crank install...

Thanks Dan! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)

KT

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jan 12 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #124

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

I'll do the sheet metal tonight or tomorrow depending on how tired I am after work. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

Pics to follow, of course. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 12 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #125

Village Idiot

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) Sweet! can't wait to see more pics of the install!

Yep, trekkor has my prototype bell crank. I just got lucky with the angles and dimensions. They work really good, very smooth and linear in travel. I have sold like 15 now. Easy install/adjustment. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Phil Plummer
post Mar 6 2013, 08:52 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 13,973
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 5 2004, 11:24 AM) *

Okay, so this is about the 5th 914-6 conversion I have done. They are all drivers to this day. Heck, Even Craigh Laughlin has one of my old ones! My goal is to put as many 914-6's out on the road as possible since I think that is what the desing intended for them to be anyway. Anyway, I have heard soem thoughts about costs or how hard it is to convert. Nah, just time really. yeah, a few parts, but mostly just some time. Lets visit the part$ shall we. You will probalby need the following (as in not worth making):

Tank - Lots-o-options, but don't spend over $500 on one
Headers - $450 - 500
Mount - Zowie! Lots-o-options here as well. I have a jig to make my own, it works, but takes time. It is not hard, but takes a lot of time. I gave up and grabbed a patrick moly mount just today. I am running out of time.

Everyting else, you can make or do yourself. I will show you how in this thread over the next couple of weeks since that is all the time I have left!

Here is a shot of the holes drilled for the oil tank. Yep, I am using a Vellios tank yet again. They work great and use the later filters. Also, you can go down to your local industrial supply shop and have them make the pressure hose for like $40. The suction hose is even easier, but more on that later.

Wow you seem Knowledgeable on the 914/6 conversion .
Iam building a 94/6 and am using a 3.0 form a 81 911 sc ..I am sticking with the injectors .... all is ready only no spark..NO Spark.. none...zip but all is good coil etc.etc If you have any suggestions and can help please let me know or if you know someone who can help please point me ion the right direction.thanks in advance....Regards Phil
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 6 2013, 09:00 PM
Post #127

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Phil Plummer @ Mar 6 2013, 06:52 PM) *
if you know someone who can help please point me ion the right direction.

I can point you towards a good source for calendars since this thread is almost 10 years old ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 25 2021, 06:46 PM
Post #128

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Now this thread is 16+ years young and what has changed, the once lowly 914 has
become reborn, everything is more expensive and we are in a pandemic. Our '74 rustout is being made whole once again and looking at options for a power plant. For now I am thinking building a reasonably stock 2 liter, maybe boost the compression a bit, maybe decent heads, cam, Webers ......

Considering starting to collect the parts/pieces for the conversion. I have not found Vellios, are they still making tanks? or is anybody making steel tanks?

thanks
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 25 2021, 07:24 PM
Post #129

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 25 2021, 07:46 PM) *

become reborn, everything is more expensive and we are in a pandemic. Our '74 rustout is being made whole once again and looking at options for a power plant. For now I am thinking building a reasonably stock 2 liter, maybe boost the compression a bit, maybe decent heads, cam, Webers ......

Considering starting to collect the parts/pieces for the conversion. I have not found Vellios, are they still making tanks? or is anybody making steel tanks?

thanks

Vellios hasn't made tanks in years. Ben/MB911 picked up the ball and ran with it. www.914-6Werkshop.com

+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 25 2021, 09:37 PM
Post #130

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 25 2021, 05:24 PM) *

thanks

Vellios hasn't made tanks in years. Ben/MB911 picked up the ball and ran with it. www.914-6Werkshop.com

Vellios past away (RIP). All his left over parts were on Ebay awhile back.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 26 2021, 06:00 AM
Post #131

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 25 2021, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 25 2021, 05:24 PM) *

thanks

Vellios past away (RIP). All his left over parts were onre Ebay awhile back.

Ben bought the Vellios tanks, finished them and re-sold them IIRC.
No engine build for a 914 is cheap anymore and a /6 build is close to 4x the cost (ballpark) of a /4 build now.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 26 2021, 06:02 AM
Post #132

Advanced Member

Is a -6 4x the fun?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 26 2021, 06:56 AM
Post #133

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 26 2021, 04:02 AM) *

Is a -6 4x the fun?

Yes they are to me but that is a question you have the answer for yourself..

Here is a tank I was working on last night.. I make almost everything needed for a conversion. Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 26 2021, 09:52 AM
Post #134

Village Idiot

914-6 aftermarket tanks have come a long way. I would use Ben's tank.

Some of my pictures....oye, I probably still have that digital camera someplace.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 26 2021, 10:59 AM
Post #135

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 26 2021, 07:56 AM) *

Is a -6 4x the fun?

Here is a tank I was working on last night.. I make almost everything needed for a conversion. Attached Image

Very nice looking work. I am seeing a 2.7 fitting into our 914 rustout as a more and more viable option in place of building a 4 cyl. My trigger finger is almost ready to strike. How long will you be holding the "spring special" pricing for the RD metal and tank combo?

thanks
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 26 2021, 11:30 AM
Post #136

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 26 2021, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 26 2021, 07:56 AM) *

Is a -6 4x the fun?

Very nice looking work. I am seeing a 2.7 fitting into our 914 rustout as a more and more viable option in place of building a 4 cyl. My trigger finger is almost ready to strike. How long will you be holding the "spring special" pricing for the RD metal and tank combo?

thanks

I only have 6 sets left of sheet metal and not sure the cost on my next batch will be..
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 26 2021, 12:09 PM
Post #137

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

If anticipating the 6 road, buy the tin NOW! If you change your mind you'll get what you paid for them. A RARITY!
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 26 2021, 01:10 PM
Post #138

Village Idiot

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 26 2021, 10:09 AM) *

If anticipating the 6 road, buy the tin NOW! If you change your mind you'll get what you paid for them. A RARITY!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Prices only seem to go up and supply comes and goes over the years.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 26 2021, 06:04 PM
Post #139

Advanced Member

I am on the fence to go the -6 route. It is looking like somewhere in the $6-7k range for a -4 build. Not sure if I have $20.k disposable income to go with a -6. Carbs or CIS? My decision is partly based on $$, but also getting road time this year. A -6 conversion seems quite a bit of additional work but I don't want to build a -4 and be unhappy with the lack of a decent kick.

Which ever route I take this 914 build will be compared to our '87 turbo cab.

Still working through several rustout sections with the chassis. RD has come to the rescue, but some stuff needs to be fabricated from scratch
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Jan 26 2021, 08:28 PM
Post #140

Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 26 2021, 07:04 PM) *

I am on the fence to go the -6 route. It is looking like somewhere in the $6-7k range for a -4 build. Not sure if I have $20.k disposable income to go with a -6. Carbs or CIS? My decision is partly based on $$, but also getting road time this year. A -6 conversion seems quite a bit of additional work but I don't want to build a -4 and be unhappy with the lack of a decent kick.

Which ever route I take this 914 build will be compared to our '87 turbo cab.

Still working through several rustout sections with the chassis. RD has come to the rescue, but some stuff needs to be fabricated from scratch

This is why I can’t get the Subaru 6 conversion out of my head. Probably for the $6-7k, you could have it pretty well sorted with power on par with a 3.2 Carrera conversion in a revvy, smooth, reliable motor. I know, I know, it’s not the same, but....
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 11:58 PM