Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> College budget restoration, Trudging forward
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 29 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Hello all,
I'm finally getting around to documenting my restoration after the past several months of work. This may not get updated immediately as I'm trying to get as much done as possible before grad school kicks in again in January. However, I'm going to try and post pics when I can.
I purchased this car from a gentleman less than ten minutes from my house named Ray. He apparently is/was a member on the forum as well and was a very cool guy to meet. We talked several times about the car and he was very up-front about its condition (to the best of his own knowledge). He recommended it be used only for the drivetrain, which at this point seems like it was the correct suggestion. However, being 27 and stubborn, I saw it as an opportunity. Most of my experience in the past has been with American and Japanese cars from the the 1980s and newer, and most of that spent doing body work. This car I saw as a chance to learn something (mostly because I figured I couldn't make it any worse than it already was (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
So, after seeing the thing run and falling in love, I gave Ray 1,000 for it and convinced my girlfriend to help me tow it home. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of this, but wish I did! The look on her embarased face was something like, "Oh my God, now I've become trailer trash." We towed it five miles clunking the whole way because Ray failed to mention that the CV joints had been disconnected from the wheel. What a ride home.
I then set to work on it immediately, replacing a broken clutch fork and cable over the span of a weekend. Drove it around for two weeks to make sure I was still crazy enough to keep it, then began tearing it down.
I should mention several things. First of all, this car always had an intention of being raced, which initially was to be in Chumpcar. However, I realized the amount of work needed just to get the thing safe to drive warranted me keeping it for more than just track use. So, at the moment, its going to race Chumpcar next August, and I'm going to PRAY it doesn't get clobbered so that it can be driven afterward. Trust me, I already know I'm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) .
Second, I have made it a point and a promise (to my forever understanding girlfriend) that I'm going to keep the cost to a minimum. That means a minimum of pre-fabbed parts, which also forces me to learn more about metal working as well. This build is certainly not up the past quality work of many of the folks on this board, but like I said, I'm a cheapskate (student loans ain't what they used to be).
So, here it goes! I'll try to explain more as I go along.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
20 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(320 - 339)
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jul 16 2014, 06:23 PM
Post #321

Member No.: 12,907

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 5 2014, 05:19 AM) *

Hey guys. Sorry I wasn't around to respond sooner - was in Daytona crewing for a team for this weekend's SCCA Regional race.

Larmo - send me a PM and I'll send you Perry's e-mail address. I'm not sure that he wants it posted publicly. He is still producing the umbrella tops, but he is very busy at the moment, so you'll have to be patient.

Shane, that is indeed the system that I used and I like it a lot. Simple and effective. I chose the 4.0L liter, despite weighing a few more pounds for the added egress time. Although I like doing business with Pegasus, I actually ordered my system from these guys:

http://www.racingfiresystems.com/RacingFir...ed_Systems.html

A little cheaper and every bit counts!

Anything new going on with the Chump build? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
Can I help?
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 16 2014, 09:08 PM
Post #322

Advanced Member

Still chugging along Shane. Got your e-mail and I promise I'll respond tomorrow - very sorry I have not yet. I need to finish the fiberglass stuff this weekend if possible. Not sure how much is still left after that other than a good shakedown and getting the lights squared away. To date, the limitations have been both time and money related. I'm getting a little bit more of both now, but hopes are still on for September. We'll talk this week.
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jul 17 2014, 09:54 AM
Post #323

If you car isn't ready, mines pretty close. Just a thought.
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Aug 24 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #324

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Aug 24 2014, 06:43 PM
Post #325

Member No.: 16,395
Region Association: None

George or Shane , I have a really nice smooth satin black targa top...if you want you can have...this top was tested at Acme labs in Yehaw Junction ..they estimate a 20 mile an hour speed increase down the back straight !
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 25 2014, 05:08 AM
Post #326

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 16 2014, 11:08 PM) *

Still chugging along Shane. Got your e-mail and I promise I'll respond tomorrow - very sorry I have not yet. I need to finish the fiberglass stuff this weekend if possible. Not sure how much is still left after that other than a good shakedown and getting the lights squared away. To date, the limitations have been both time and money related. I'm getting a little bit more of both now, but hopes are still on for September. We'll talk this week.

Are you registered for Chump?
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 25 2014, 11:27 AM
Post #327

Advanced Member

Huge thanks to Shane and his stepdad Keith for their assistance with the car. Towed it down to their beautiful shop in Marco Island, and despite the total nightmare of getting down there, it was a productive day. Shane and his family are good peoples. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

We found some issues that I wouldn't have probably diagnosed on my own, but I'll definitely be able to fix in the coming weeks.

Shane's car is really cool too! Very trick and sounds AWESOME.

Yup, T.C., we're registered for the 20th.... now just need to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) for the next few weeks to get it finished. I'll post pics soon.
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Aug 26 2014, 05:18 PM
Post #328

No worries, glad to help. I would of went home after the tire issue in Port Charlotte. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Thanks for the props on my car, I meant to let you run it around the block. Just ran out of time.
If you need some help on a Sunday to get more stuff done, let me know. I can drive up your way. No big deal.
Shane

T.C., you signed up for Sebring too?
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 26 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #329

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Yes, I'm signed up for Chump

I'm going to Start another Thread so we don't clog up this Thread
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Sep 16 2014, 09:04 AM
Post #330

Advanced Member

Quite a hectic year, but I'm happy to report the car is now track ready, almost 3 years later. Many updates including a full FIA-rated fire system, custom seat made from a 914 seat shell, custom gauge bezel to hold our VDO gauges, true projector HID lights in the original pop-up housings, fiberglass bumpers, and radio system.

This weekend is the Chumpcar 14 Hours of Sebring and there are several 914World drivers who will be driving the car: FourBlades, JetsetSurfShop and tooms351. Wouldn't have been able to do it without them, or the rest of you here at 914World, including several of our vendors here on the forum. Thank you all!

Though it's a little goofy, I think our theme turned out okay. Our team name: Team Falken Awesome.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Sep 16 2014, 09:06 AM
Post #331

Advanced Member

Vendors

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Sep 16 2014, 09:07 AM
Post #332

Advanced Member

CFR/Tangerine Racing and lights

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Sep 16 2014, 09:09 AM
Post #333

Advanced Member

Dash and interior

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Sep 16 2014, 09:10 AM
Post #334

Advanced Member

Easy-pull door handle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Sep 16 2014, 05:27 PM
Post #335

The message on the dash is killer. We like to say "keep the shiny side up" See you in a few days! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Oh, Seabird will be there too.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Sep 16 2014, 05:37 PM
Post #336

Racer from Birth

I hope you guys will let me in a Picture or two even though I'm not driving for you!
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Sep 16 2014, 10:25 PM
Post #337

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 16 2014, 08:07 AM) *

CFR/Tangerine Racing and lights

What light are these?
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Sep 17 2014, 08:10 AM
Post #338

Advanced Member

Absolutely T.C. We'll all get plenty of pictures together I'm sure, including Seabird (Miguel).

Matt, the lights are retrofitted Morimoto Mini projectors inside Ebay housings. Then I had to fabricate some fiberglass covers. It was way more work than I had hoped. At some point I'll go back and take some more pictures if you guys are interested in how I did them.
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Sep 17 2014, 08:43 AM
Post #339

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

Nice! I was wondering if you did a retrofit. You must have got your gear from TRS.

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 17 2014, 07:10 AM) *

Absolutely T.C. We'll all get plenty of pictures together I'm sure, including Seabird (Miguel).

Matt, the lights are retrofitted Morimoto Mini projectors inside Ebay housings. Then I had to fabricate some fiberglass covers. It was way more work than I had hoped. At some point I'll go back and take some more pictures if you guys are interested in how I did them.

+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Sep 17 2014, 09:49 AM
Post #340

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 16 2014, 10:09 AM) *

Dash and interior

Love the look of the car.

I have a non-racing slightly OT topic for you.... tell me about the gauge holder around the dash. it looks aftermarket for that dash and not "ho-made". I have 4 gauges to add to my daily driver and just can't seem to find a good looking (easy) way. I don't have the center console to putz with, but figured I might have to get one.

Clark

Attached Image
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:36 AM