Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 76 2.0 on Barrett Jackson this year, Updated Photos, Looks pretty nice now., Care to guess what it'll sell for?
jgara962
post Jan 20 2012, 08:41 PM
Post #61

Yo, this is how I roll

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,879
Region Association: Northern California

Anyone see the 914 get a quick 30 second feature between commercials as the only foreign car to pace the Daytona 500? Pretty cool.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Jan 20 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #62

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jan 20 2012, 07:41 PM) *

Anyone see the 914 get a quick 30 second feature between commercials as the only foreign car to pace the Daytona 500? Pretty cool.

Maybe we think alike because we joined the board the same day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jan 20 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #63

Yo, this is how I roll

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 20 2012, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jan 20 2012, 07:41 PM) *

Maybe we think alike because we joined the board the same day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Jan 20 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 11,790
Region Association: None

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 20 2012, 06:25 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 20 2012, 07:14 AM) *

Great. How many ding dong brokers will be asking the moon for marginal 914s now saying - "you know one sold at BJ for $17M..."

uh, OK.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that good for us as 914 owners? I wish it would have sold for more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I can't for the life of me figure out why in the world you guys complain when our cars sell for top dollar, regardless of the reason.

As for BJ, no need to hate on them just because they have figured out a way to create a buzz and atmosphere that sells cars for top dollar. No one is forcing the buyers to pay those prices. Some might even call it a very successful business model.

No it's not really good, especially for those that are interested in becoming 914 owners. BJ is reality TV, a playground for rich car guys who don't mind being on TV seen spending $$.

Problem is now that aN ok, not great, 914 was seen on TV being sold for $17k every car dealer that gets their hands an a 914 is going to set the asking price @ $17k.

Even though BJ is just a TV show it has effected the real collcetor car market. People see a 69' Camaro hammer for $100k and people (like parts suppliers) think all 69 Camaros are worth $100k. Resto parts suppliers adjust their prices but still offer the same parts that just don't fit very well (that's the really diff between a $100k Camaro and a $25k; one has had 100's of hours of body work spent making the resto parts fit).

Yes, you shouldn't hate BJ, but ask any classic car dealer and see what they have to say about BJ. I've asked dealers in St. Louis, San Deigo, Des Moines, KC, Bismarck, and other places what they thought about BJ. All but one were cussing by the time they had completed one sentance....the one that didn't turned out to be a friend of Craig Jackson.

and yes no one is forcing the rich car guys to pay outrages prices...they are happy to pay them. it's the guy trying to buy a classic car and is priced out b/c the whole market has jumped up. The guy who could afford a $20k car now can't swing it b/c its now $28k.

So it's now it's OK for dealers to ask $17k for a 914? You can buy a 99' Corvette with 350hp that handles better than a 99' 911 for $17K.

Do you think anyone @ Automoble Atlanta noticed?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 20 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #65

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jan 20 2012, 06:28 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 20 2012, 06:25 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 20 2012, 07:14 AM) *

Great. How many ding dong brokers will be asking the moon for marginal 914s now saying - "you know one sold at BJ for $17M..."

uh, OK.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that good for us as 914 owners? I wish it would have sold for more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I can't for the life of me figure out why in the world you guys complain when our cars sell for top dollar, regardless of the reason.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Who complains about something they own going up in price??? It is something I've noticed regularly since joining this board and have found completely odd.

I have also never understood this. Hell, one reason why I chose that my next rest would be a 356 is because it is a profitable experience when the car actually does sell... Hell even guys with Beetles don't bitch when the cars escalate in value! 914s are finally worth an expenditure of funds to build a nice one and people complain. Typical.

Nothing like wasting hundreds of hours of your life to build a car that you have to sell for 1/2 what you have invested. People do it everyday.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Jan 20 2012, 09:40 PM
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jan 20 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #66

Yo, this is how I roll

[/quote]

No it's not really good, especially for those that are interested in becoming 914 owners. BJ is reality TV, a playground for rich car guys who don't mind being on TV seen spending $$.

Problem is now that aN ok, not great, 914 was seen on TV being sold for $17k every car dealer that gets their hands an a 914 is going to set the asking price @ $17k.

[/quote]

It was sold on a Thursday afternoon? Who could have possibly seen it?

Here's a car for everyone worried about 914's getting to expensive

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Jan 20 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #67

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thursday is the 3rd day of the auction...I start watching on Tuesday.
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jan 20 2012, 10:58 PM
Post #68

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818

[quote name='jgara962' date='Jan 20 2012, 07:41 PM' post='1608656']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Attached Image
[/quote]

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Jan 21 2012, 01:22 AM
Post #69

mr. Wonderful

Member No.: 2,978

[quote name='orange914' date='Jan 20 2012, 08:58 PM' post='1608683']
[quote name='jgara962' date='Jan 20 2012, 07:41 PM' post='1608656']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Attached Image
[/quote]

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
[/quote]

Nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Jan 21 2012, 06:25 AM
Post #70

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

QUOTE(Type 47 @ Jan 20 2012, 10:19 PM) *

So it's now it's OK for dealers to ask $17k for a 914?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Absolutely. It's a sign prices are recovering. In 2008 very nice examples of 914's were selling in the $20k range.

And that '99 Vette you mention will continue to depreciate. You've just illustrated the difference between buying a vintage or 'collector' car versus buying a used car. Personally, I'd rather be driving and enjoying my 914's while they appreciate in value than buying a used Chev than will continue to lose value for the foreseeable future.
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jan 21 2012, 08:30 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jan 20 2012, 09:41 PM) *

Yeah I saw that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

In my youth I had a 68 BB Charger that I bought from my uncle. A couple of years ago he said, "I wished I still had that car. Do you know what that would be worth today?

I said yeah, about "$20,000 less than it would cost to resore it"

He didn't get it and neither does J.Q. Public.

You can still find nice cars at nice prices, including 914's, muscle cars and vettes, if you shop the right condition in the right places.

Did anybody watch the 1st day of the auction? There were a lot of nice drivers going for short dollars (for BJ).

Locally there is a "classic" car dealer that always has reasonable prices for driver quality cars.

If you want an unrestored or over restored car you are going to have to pay.

I don't see how that has changed since the beginning of the collector car hobby 50-60 years ago.

PS A Pinto in that condition would go for more at BJ than I paid for my 914!
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jan 21 2012, 09:41 AM
Post #72

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

I think I'll run my /6 conversion thru BJ. It's gotta be worth $60K.

Think they'll get upset when I leak oil all over their undercarriage cam, blow oil on those red dresses the cheerleaders wear or on the 1970 Judge that's behind me on the "on deck cam"? They should be honored as I only use Liquid Titanium & Brad Penn.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 21 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #73

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Las year I sold a 74 914 to Dave Martindale and he did a beautiful restoration on that 914.
This is another one that I sold him this year.
One thing that you have to factor into your evaluation of these cars that you see in the catalog pics from BJ. They may have been taken before the car was finished or they may have been taken long before the restoration process was started.
BJ requires pics of the car that you as a seller are consigning long before the auction so that they can get the press material ready to go to print.
Last years pics showed they 914 still sitting without much of the trim and the interior and wheels were put on just for the photo op deadline.
Do not judge how the cars look in the pictures, ,because they probably won't show up at BJ looking the same way.
Craig at CAMP
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 21 2012, 01:57 PM
Post #74

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

BJ is not one of the primary auctions where Porsches bring real bucks... Most of those auctions are by invite only, or open to very small groups.
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Jan 21 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #75

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 21 2012, 11:57 AM) *

BJ is not one of the primary auctions where Porsches bring real bucks... Most of those auctions are by invite only, or open to very small groups.

BJ is the premier auction in the eys of public awareness b/c of TV coverage...but you are correct that they are not a primary auto auctions for P cars or muscle cars as well.

BJ is fantasy TV and for the most part just for rich guys that want to buy stuff on TV.

unfortunately is affects prices in the car hobby.

Actually, when BJ is going on there are 5-6 other auctions going on in the same area (Phoenix) during the week. They are not necessarily by invitation...but you have to have a fat wallet to walk into most of the other auctions...you have to have a wallet to get in the BJ bidder area...but you have to be able to drop 6 fig's at the others.
+Quote Post
abnrdo
post Jan 21 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 2,820

[quote name='jgara962' date='Jan 20 2012, 09:41 PM' post='1608656']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Attached Image
[/quote]

If you can find one, they rusted as fast as the Vega. You could warm your hands in the winter they rusted so fast.....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 07:32 PM