Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Best Linux Distrubution, Red Hat or SUSE
sechszylinder
post Oct 8 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 545
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bryanthompson @ Oct 7 2004, 01:51 PM)
The only way to do it, imho, is to just format your windows drive and never look back.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
yeesssss sir !!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Oct 8 2004, 09:34 AM
Post #22

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271

I just downloaded the Fedora Core 2.6.1

Just google Fedora and Linux and click the first link you find.

I was able to burn the entire install disc on to a DVD (4.0 GB) and loaded from there.

First impression is that I like it a lot.

I tried SUSE a week or so ago and I like the Fedora better.

Regards,

Karl
+Quote Post
TimT
post Oct 8 2004, 10:00 AM
Post #23

retired

Member No.: 313

I have Suse linux, still learning it

so Linux geeks, I need to set the refresh for my monitor at 60Hz, but the monitor options in hardware set up only has 76 Hz... I guess I need a new driver for the monitor where to get? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
ematulac
post Oct 8 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #24

914 addict

Member No.: 1,382

Another vote for SuSE. It's as painless as it gets.

Another alternative is Mandrake, although I haven't tried anything newer than 9.1. Both distros are pretty easy on the admins.

OS X also looks like a very nice alternative, but you'd need to replace your hardware as well if you wanted to go that route.

I use Gentoo for my own machine, but I wouldn't recommend it unless all your workstations have the same exact hardware specs.

TimT. - don't know the answer off the top of my head, but do a search on http://www.linuxquestions.org and you might be able to find your answer. SuSE also has its own forums at http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 8 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #25

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

OSX - been running it since Beta X came out, keeps getting better and better. Server version and desktop are rock stable. FreeBSD or Suse if you have to run on an Intel platform. Matter of fact I have a Compaq iPaq that runs Linux http://www.ipaqlinux.com/

But hey if all of you get off the Microsoft platform - I won't be able to charge what I charge to fix all them windoz problems, DOAH!

Microsoft pays the bills and keeps food on the table, Macs and OSX keep me sane here at home.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:28 PM