Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sasquatch Part III Audi 1.8t transplant..., PCV upgrades finally...
Mike Bellis
post Dec 22 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #121

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Dec 22 2012, 08:32 PM) *

That's so sweet! I hope to be able to try something like this soon.

Have you thought about climate controls? Where to mount heater core, a/c evaporator etc. Are you even going to have them?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I'm not using the climate controls. I have a heater built into the fresh air box. I do have most of the A/C parts for a project down the road. I have the 914 controls rigged to operate the water control valve and the fresh air fan blows through the heater core. It actually works very well!

Tomorrow I will tackle the intermittent wiper controls. I'm most excited to try the cruise control system. Since it has an electronic throttle body, the setup is super easy. Just plug in the wires to the steering column.

My original plan did not include the steering column and misc wiring but after I broke the harness down, the wiring is very simple. The only hickup (sort of) would be if I went back to pop up lights. The switch does not have the open/close circuit. So I would have to rig up a relay or two to make it work.

Since my switch can work dual fog lights, I either need a rear one or another set up front...

Thanks for the encouragement! Stay tuned...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 23 2012, 09:07 PM
Post #122

Resident Electrician

Does this look intimidating??? I started wiring the cluster, wipers, ODB II connector and misc. All but 5 or 6 (going to removed systems) of these need to get connected. On top of this, I have the boost controller and meth injection system yet to wire, about 15 more wires. Maybe a few other mics things too...

I'm not sure yet how the system will react to the missing ABS, Climate control, Security and Air Bag systems. My hope is since it has been without power for months, any volatile memory will reset. The Data link to the missing systems will not be connected and hopefully everything will work.

You can see in the pic all the white tags I put on the wires. I have all identified except a yellow/white that connects to "thirteenfold relay position". I have to reverse engineer this connection to see what it does. All I know now is that it comes from the cluster.

Anyone on the site own a VAG-COM device? I may need to connect to the ODB and scan systems once it's running.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 23 2012, 11:13 PM
Post #123

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 23 2012, 07:07 PM) *

Does this look intimidating???

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Uh not at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I think I'd rather drive a Pinto than figure that out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Dec 23 2012, 11:36 PM
Post #124

Salsaholic

Member No.: 2,431
Region Association: Northern California

Does this look intimidating??? I started wiring the cluster, wipers, ODB II connector and misc. All but 5 or 6 (going to removed systems) of these need to get connected. On top of this, I have the boost controller and meth injection system yet to wire, about 15 more wires. Maybe a few other mics things too...

I'm not sure yet how the system will react to the missing ABS, Climate control, Security and Air Bag systems. My hope is since it has been without power for months, any volatile memory will reset. The Data link to the missing systems will not be connected and hopefully everything will work.

You can see in the pic all the white tags I put on the wires. I have all identified except a yellow/white that connects to "thirteenfold relay position". I have to reverse engineer this connection to see what it does. All I know now is that it comes from the cluster.

Anyone on the site own a VAG-COM device? I may need to connect to the ODB and scan systems once it's running.

Attached Image

I have an obd scanner that connects to laptop and I run datalogs.
. I use it on my audi, so, It should work for you.

-- brett
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 23 2012, 11:41 PM
Post #125

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(bfrymire @ Dec 23 2012, 09:36 PM) *

-- brett

Cool. Maybe I'll hit you up in a few months after I get running. Thanks!
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Dec 24 2012, 01:16 AM
Post #126

Salsaholic

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 23 2012, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(bfrymire @ Dec 23 2012, 09:36 PM) *

-- brett

Cool. Maybe I'll hit you up in a few months after I get running. Thanks!

This is the one that I have:

http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/pc-based/obdlink-s.html

Very happy with it. I can do real-time readouts, datalogging, code resets, etc. I even have the API for doing custom software for non-compliant codes. It detects and connects to all ECUs that are on the CAN buss.

-- brett
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Dec 24 2012, 03:02 AM
Post #127

Member No.: 10,305

[

Looking good, brings back memories.
Memories of a pain in the neck, sore back and how do your knees feel?

I don't think the ECU will miss the ABS, Climate control, Security and Air Bag systems... On my WRX I had issues with fuel pump and VSS. I am thinking the ECU will go into limp mode at first. That may keep it from running great but it should run.

BTW, I used a Miata fuel sender on my car, maybe you can use the Audi sender (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 24 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #128

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Dec 24 2012, 01:02 AM) *

Looking good, brings back memories.
Memories of a pain in the neck, sore back and how do your knees feel?

I don't think the ECU will miss the ABS, Climate control, Security and Air Bag systems... On my WRX I had issues with fuel pump and VSS. I am thinking the ECU will go into limp mode at first. That may keep it from running great but it should run.

BTW, I used a Miata fuel sender on my car, maybe you can use the Audi sender (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I have the correct 65psi pump and the speed sensor is connected. I think these are OK. The ECU will not miss the devices, the dash cluster/computer might. I had 034Motorsport "turn off" anything that could put the ECU in limp mode. I am most concerned about idiot lights and alarms going off while driving. For example, if the oil level is low... a "STOP" appears on the dash and "dings", then describs the alarm.

With a VAG-COM (Audi/VW specific) device, you can tell the cluster when you have new devices. Ie: new ABS module, etc... So I may be able to disable the cluster from looking at these devices too. The VAG-COM is over $300 for the hex-decimal version that can make these mods. So I am going to wait and see what happens once I get it startable. I may need it to turn back on the cruise control. Many times when the ECU is re-flashed, the CC turns off. Since the throttle body it electric, it is a simple fix.

The Passat fuel sender is part of the internal fuel pump assembly. I found one at the junk yard and took the sender portion with me. That's how I found out the resistance. I ordered the adapter from the UK and they are programming it for me. Should be an easy connection and fully adjustable.

I am 80% sure this setup will work since I swapped the dash, steering column and ECU. Electrically it will think it is a Passat except the missing control modules. My worst case scenario is I have to remove the cluster from the project. The ECU will continue to run in stand alone. I do find myself checking and re-checking my wire labels. I did find a couple marked wrong. The Passat electrical schematic is very thorough and all the connector pins are numbered. Only a hand full of colors do not match (the schematic) but the do match the wire they connect to.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 24 2012, 10:50 AM
Post #129

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Dont use an OBD scanner use a VAG-COM scanner. Its like an OBD scanner that you can read and monitor every electrical signal... The ECU shouldnt miss anything except maybe the climate control... You might want to have that plugged in and just sitting somewhere, I mentioned to you earlier that you can monitor some settings via this (at least in the Audi you can..). But its an intuitive system so Its the only one that scares me that you say your going to not have in place.

Crazy work!
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Dec 24 2012, 12:28 PM
Post #130

Salsaholic

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 24 2012, 08:50 AM) *

Dont use an OBD scanner use a VAG-COM scanner. Its like an OBD scanner that you can read and monitor every electrical signal... The ECU shouldnt miss anything except maybe the climate control... You might want to have that plugged in and just sitting somewhere, I mentioned to you earlier that you can monitor some settings via this (at least in the Audi you can..). But its an intuitive system so Its the only one that scares me that you say your going to not have in place.

Crazy work!

The scanner that I have will do all of that. it's not one of those simple scanners from a FLAPs. You use a laptop with it, and can see all sensors and datalog. It's based on the STN1110 chip set, and supporst the ELM327 command set. You can monitor almost every sensor, and if you have the command code, you can access the sensor if it's not in the standard codes.

From the webpage:

The free feature-packed OBDwiz diagnostic software included with the scan tool allows you to:

•Turn off check engine light, and erase stored diagnostic information
•Read and erase stored, pending, and permanent trouble codes (both generic and manufacturer-specific)
•Access freeze frame information
•Display, graph, and log 90+ real-time parameters
•Create custom digital dashboards

So, what is missing from the scanner that I have? I can probably write something to make up for what is missing.

-- brett
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 24 2012, 01:12 PM
Post #131

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(bfrymire @ Dec 24 2012, 10:28 AM) *

So, what is missing from the scanner that I have? I can probably write something to make up for what is missing.

-- brett

I don't know exactly. Check out this site...

http://ross-tech.com/index.html
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 24 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #132

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 24 2012, 08:50 AM) *

Crazy work!

The scanner that I have will do all of that. it's not one of those simple scanners from a FLAPs. You use a laptop with it, and can see all sensors and datalog. It's based on the STN1110 chip set, and supporst the ELM327 command set. You can monitor almost every sensor, and if you have the command code, you can access the sensor if it's not in the standard codes.

From the webpage:

The free feature-packed OBDwiz diagnostic software included with the scan tool allows you to:

•Turn off check engine light, and erase stored diagnostic information
•Read and erase stored, pending, and permanent trouble codes (both generic and manufacturer-specific)
•Access freeze frame information
•Display, graph, and log 90+ real-time parameters
•Create custom digital dashboards

-- brett

Brett,

Not dissing your scanner Im sure its a REALLY good scanner. The VAG cars have build in commands that are accessible via this scanner and probably yours as well.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 24 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #133

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Mike, this car is going to be awesome when you finish! One circuit at a time.
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Dec 24 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #134

Salsaholic

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 24 2012, 11:12 AM) *

-- brett

I don't know exactly. Check out this site...

http://ross-tech.com/index.html

Thanks Mike,

I found and read up on the VAG scanner. Pretty much looks like the difference is just some specific commands for VW. It's up to you, if you want to try miine.

I do think that for what you are doing, you will not need the other commands. (Some were specific to the TDI, and some other ECUs on the system.)

-- brett
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 24 2012, 03:27 PM
Post #135

Resident Electrician

Thanks everyone for the help and encouragement. It really helps keep me motivated!

This is a weekend project and I still think I can make my deadline of WCR 2013... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

My extended family is coming over today for dinner, so not much will happen on the car.

Tasks:
Finish wiring
Finish steering
Install new pedals
Remove motor, finish welding
Install fuel pump
Sort out the axles
Mount shifter/route cables
Fabricate new parking brake handle
Bleed brakes
Install fluids
Modify dash for cluster
Re-install interior
Finish rear trunk floor
Install exhaust
Anything I forgot

Drive the shit out of it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 27 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #136

Resident Electrician

I bit the bullet and picked up a VAG COM today. I chose the HEX-USB+CAN as it has every feature available. I need to program new chipped keys anyway. Plus it can do all the ODB II stuff plus more...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/icarobd.com-10496-1356590587.1.jpg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L-v31FEqoM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 27 2012, 02:10 AM
Post #137

Spooling.... Please wait

Since your DBW you can also modify your ECU tune. But thats some custom software that I really dont know much about. I know its free though.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 27 2012, 02:15 AM
Post #138

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Oh, and there's a T in sasquaTch. :behind couch: Rokin yur pown spelling!

Epic build bro, cant wait to see it in person and bring you a beer.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 27 2012, 09:35 AM
Post #139

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 27 2012, 12:10 AM) *

Since your DBW you can also modify your ECU tune. But thats some custom software that I really dont know much about. I know its free though.

On top of that I can get a plug in throttle response modifier. basically an op-amp amplifier to modify the input signal. I may build the circuit for $5 instead of paying $300 for the device.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 27 2012, 09:37 AM
Post #140

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 27 2012, 12:15 AM) *

Oh, and there's a T in sasquaTch. :behind couch: Rokin yur pown spelling!

Epic build bro, cant wait to see it in person and bring you a beer.

Fixed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I went to public school...
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 10:21 PM