Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sasquatch Part III Audi 1.8t transplant..., PCV upgrades finally...
Mike Bellis
post Nov 17 2013, 07:10 PM
Post #341

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(2mAn @ Nov 17 2013, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 16 2013, 03:53 PM) *

Who wants to go for a ride?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

I will be in the Bay Area for Christmas

PM me when you're in town and we'll see if it works out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Nov 18 2013, 11:31 AM
Post #342

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

awesome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Which turbo project will last longer before blowing up, Mike B's or McMark D's?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Have fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

PS - Sir Francis Drake Blvd through West Marin was just re-paved. No lines painted yet...still some construction. I'm hoping to inspire a West Marin 914 weekend cruise loop as soon as it's done. This is all part of Excellence Mag's various "test loops" as I've seen local landmarks in many of their photos. It's been epic fun now that it is no longer pot-hole riddled crumbly road (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 18 2013, 11:45 AM
Post #343

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Nov 18 2013, 09:31 AM) *

awesome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Which turbo project will last longer before blowing up, Mike B's or McMark D's?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Have fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

PS - Sir Francis Drake Blvd through West Marin was just re-paved. No lines painted yet...still some construction. I'm hoping to inspire a West Marin 914 weekend cruise loop as soon as it's done. This is all part of Excellence Mag's various "test loops" as I've seen local landmarks in many of their photos. It's been epic fun now that it is no longer pot-hole riddled crumbly road (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I'm going to say... Mine will blow up first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap.gif)

This is loosely based on horsepower levels and driving styles... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
2mAn
post Jan 9 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #344

trying to see how long I can go without a 914

Member No.: 16,644
Region Association: Southern California

Did you ever figure out what happened? kinda kicking myself that I didnt want to drive it. Maybe next time I come up I will ask (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I know I will be up in the area for some Vintage Racing in Sonoma, hopefully some of you guys will be there as well!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 9 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #345

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(2mAn @ Jan 9 2014, 03:15 PM) *

Did you ever figure out what happened? kinda kicking myself that I didnt want to drive it. Maybe next time I come up I will ask (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I know I will be up in the area for some Vintage Racing in Sonoma, hopefully some of you guys will be there as well!

I blew a fuse that operates the wastegate solenoid, O2 sensor and MAF. Not sure why. When I replaced the fuse, the ECU is holding the WG solenoid open all the time. Not allowing any boost to build.

When I saw you, the fuse was blown so I had too much boost without the MAF or O2 working. I can't believe I didn't blow up the engine.

So the car has been sitting for 2 weeks with the battery disconnected. If the ECU will not work the solenoid, I may put in a manual boost control until I can either swap out the ECU or repair it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I will play with it this weekend and see what happens...
+Quote Post
edwin
post Jan 9 2014, 05:43 PM
Post #346

Member No.: 10,384
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Given your experience with aftermarket ecu's are you still happy with running the factory computer? Seems like a lot of drama
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 9 2014, 08:45 PM
Post #347

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(edwin @ Jan 9 2014, 03:43 PM) *

Given your experience with aftermarket ecu's are you still happy with running the factory computer? Seems like a lot of drama

When it runs good, it runs better than any aftermarket system I have tried. At low or no boost, it runs like a stock Audi. Perfect! When the boost comes on it runs like a raped ape! As much drama as it has been, the car only spent about 4-5 hours being tuned on the dyno. Compare this to an aftermarket system and the benefits show. Most of us don't own a dyno so with an aftermarket system you will be tuning for days, weeks, months and it will still run crappy in certain areas. Most aftermarket ECU's look at hundreds of variables per second. Factory ECU's look at thousands per second. Driveability are big issues with aftermarket ECU's. Poor Jim with his Microsquirt can't get rid of low rpm bucking. I can idle forward and feather into the gas and the car runs smooth as silk. So far the cost is about the same. I'm into the ECU and injection about $2k. An aftermarket system will cost you about the same after you buy all the peripherals.

So I had a phone call with my tuner on the way home today. After some phone call troubleshooting, it sounds more like I popped an intake tube off or torn a silicone coupler. The WG spring is 10psi. If the solenoid malfunctions I should see 10psi boost minimum as this is the pressure of exhaust that will push it open. I am seeing 1-2psi max which is more indicative of an intake leak. I have some piping that is really hard to get to nor can you see it. So I will have to remove some parts to get in there and look. When the fuse first blew, it was spiking boost over 30psi, so it could have esily popped a tube off.

I will know for sure this weekend... Stay tuned... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 10 2014, 01:08 AM
Post #348

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I agree it sounds like you popped a hose. When did this happen?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 10 2014, 09:12 AM
Post #349

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 9 2014, 11:08 PM) *

I agree it sounds like you popped a hose. When did this happen?

Fuse blew 2 weeks ago when I swapped my 5 speed back in. I only drove it a short while since but is had spiked to over 30psi during the drive since the WG was not functioning.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 10 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #350

Spooling.... Please wait

Well a nice 30psi spike would definitely cause some popped hoses...

Why did you swap the 5 speed back in? Issues with the 6spd?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 10 2014, 04:52 PM
Post #351

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 10 2014, 10:59 AM) *

Well a nice 30psi spike would definitely cause some popped hoses...

Why did you swap the 5 speed back in? Issues with the 6spd?

Bad bearing in the 6 speed making noise. I do like the shorter ratios in the 6!
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jan 10 2014, 11:43 PM
Post #352

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Mike, didn't I see a Haltech Platinum ecu in the trunk of your 914, when you were down in L.A. ?
Or was it just an HECU-1 coil igniter ?
Marty
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 10 2014, 11:43 PM
Post #353

Resident Electrician

Well a quick look at the tubing and it looks intact. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I'll have to look carefully for a ripped silicone connection.

If the tubing is OK, that leaves a stuck diverter valve or a bad turbo... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 11 2014, 08:21 AM
Post #354

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 10 2014, 09:43 PM) *

Mike, didn't I see a Haltech Platinum ecu in the trunk of your 914, when you were down in L.A. ?
Marty

That was a Haltech WB O2 controller. I do have an extra HECU-1 if anyone needs one... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 11 2014, 08:21 AM
Post #355

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 10 2014, 09:43 PM) *

Marty

That was a Haltech WB O2 controller. I do have an extra HECU-1 if anyone needs one... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 11 2014, 09:43 AM
Post #356

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 10 2014, 09:43 PM) *

Well a quick look at the tubing and it looks intact. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I'll have to look carefully for a ripped silicone connection.

If the tubing is OK, that leaves a stuck diverter valve or a bad turbo... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Smoke Test? Not that kind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 11 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #357

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 11 2014, 07:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 10 2014, 09:43 PM) *

Smoke Test? Not that kind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

I'm starting to think my WG may be bad. If you go back a couple pages you will see my WG had fallen off and was dragging on the ground. For about 10 miles on a twisty road! All I did was fix an adapter fitting and bolt it back on to see if it worked. It did and I drove it until now. I have a new WG sitting on the shelf waiting to be used.

I think it's the WG since I'm running a Forge DV in semi-blow mode. If the DV was bad, I would hear it whistle. All my intake tubing looks intact. All my silicone fittings look intact.

I'm going to pull the WG and see if the valve is stuck open. The valve may be bent from all the road rash...

The turbo still spins freely and when I turn off the engine, I can hear it spin down for some time before it stops. I think it is probably good since I never heard or felt a problem. I have to think if the turbo had a catastrophic failure, I would know when it happened. Since no FOD entered the intercooler and the exhaust still spins it, 90% chance it's still OK.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 11 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #358

Spooling.... Please wait

The turbo would make a noise, dentist drill or similar or sound like an exhaust leak.

Forged DV's really dont go bad. It makes perfect sense for it to be the wategate that dragged on the ground (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Those turbo's dont just up and go bad instantaneously unless something comes in the intake and its the blades.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 11 2014, 12:10 PM
Post #359

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 11 2014, 10:07 AM) *

The turbo would make a noise, dentist drill or similar or sound like an exhaust leak.

Forged DV's really dont go bad. It makes perfect sense for it to be the wategate that dragged on the ground (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Those turbo's dont just up and go bad instantaneously unless something comes in the intake and its the blades.

Exactly! FOD would have to get through my air cleaner and MAF grid first. Turbo makes no noise at all.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 11 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #360

Resident Electrician

There's you problem right there... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tooth.gif)

The Waste gate broke! The two halves separated and all the exhaust pressure was going out the WG. no spring pressure at all... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Looks like it took some abuse but it was enough to start the self disassembly process. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here is the one I had sitting around. 38mm water cooled JDM POS. I have had great luck with the WG vendor so hopefully it will last long enough. This one was bolted on with new gaskets and high temp thread locker.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 03:17 AM