Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sasquatch Part III Audi 1.8t transplant..., PCV upgrades finally...
Mike Bellis
post Feb 22 2015, 07:49 PM
Post #401

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

They do not fit. The 012 tranny either comes in 100mm or 130mm CV configuration. If you could get the bearing and spacer that comes on the 012 stub, you could "fit" them on the 466, 108mm stub and pop them in the 012 tranny. The stubs are the same (almost) just missing a circlip and the above parts.

I instead machined down the 130mm stubs in a lathe. I bough some 94mm-108mm adapters from Patrick Motorsports. Designed for 914's tp use 930 CV's. I welded and spun to make sure they are true.

I have a set of 100mm stubs to use 944 CVs just in case.

Here are some dirty picks.. You can see the mounting holes used to mount on the 914 stub, they serve no purpose here. Big fat chamfered, layered weld holds everything together. It took a long time to get them tacked up true but they work very well.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914GTSTI
post Feb 22 2015, 09:07 PM
Post #402

Member No.: 8,123

Mike,what about something like this ? I did this for another project.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i257.photobucket.com-8123-1424660822.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i257.photobucket.com-8123-1424660822.2.jpg)

Randy
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Feb 22 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #403

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Feb 22 2015, 07:07 PM) *

Mike,what about something like this ? I did this for another project.
Randy

If the welds are good I suppose it would work.
+Quote Post
914GTSTI
post Feb 22 2015, 09:22 PM
Post #404

Member No.: 8,123

Ok, thanks.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 28 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #405

Resident Electrician

I swapped out the 6 speed for my 5 in order to prep the 6 for some Dr. Evil love. The 5 went in without problems, or so I thought. I could not get the clutch to disengage after the install. I tried to bleed the system to no avail. I even purchased a new master and slave (I was wanting to do this anyway). The master I had at 5/8" bore was a little small. The new one is .875 bore to match the new slave. The stock slave was plastic my new Dorman is cast iron. I just like iron better.

The new master and slave would still not disengage the clutch so I new it was time to pull the tranny and see what's doing. I spent all day, 10 hours, trying to pull the tranny away from the motor. It would not move more than 1/4". WTF? In a move of desperation I cut a hole in the bellhousing with a 2" hole saw to access the clutch retainer bolts. I removed the 6 bolts by spinning the motor and the tranny fell out (almost) on to my jack and the unit easily was removed. I cut the hole on the top of the housing away from any case webbing. Hopefully it will hold up for a while. The Passat 012 trannys are cheap to replace so I wasn't too concerned and one day the 6 speed will go back in.

I could not slide the disc off the shaft at all. It would not move. I had to use a puller to dislodge it. Once loose it was clearly galled and boogered up. My SPEC stage 3 pressure plate took some collateral damage from the hole saw so I went to flaps and bought a LUK unit to run for the time being.

I'm not sure how I fucked up the disc going in but I did use the alignment tool and it seemed to slide in good. Oh well... Tomorrow the car goes back together and I hope to be driving it before the end of the day.

Here are some glory pics...

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 29 2015, 08:54 AM
Post #406

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Mike. That don't add up? You could slide the pilot shaft in thru the disc with ease yet they seized upon each other? I'm thinking alignment issue but how would it have slid in if it were that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 29 2015, 03:56 PM
Post #407

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Well that is nuts... I wouldnt hesitate to give Spec a call and ask them if they have ran into this issue. Maybe they'll send you a new unit, who knows..

This was the first time you tried running the 5 speed since you swapped it back?

I have a v6 FWD trani hooked up to my 2.8 v6 in my shed, I think it'll bolt on if for some reason you buggered up your trani bad and want to get it back on the road while your 6 speed is down. I just ask that you return it when you get your 6 speed installed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 29 2015, 04:58 PM
Post #408

Resident Electrician

More background...

The SPEC Stage 3+ clutch came in the donor car. It has worked flawlessly. When I pulled the 6 speed I inspected the copper composite disc. It was glazed and burnt a little. When I compared it to e LUK organic disc I had, the copper unit was noticeably worn. I installed the LUK disc without inspecting it or trying it on the main shaft. It was new and I assumed... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

The Spec pressure plate was damaged while cutting into the tranny. I bought a new LUK assembly; Disc, Plate, TO bearing, pilot bearing. I am going to order a new HP unit but this was to get it on the road. Hopefully it will last until after WCR.

This time I slid the disc on the main shaft and it slid perfect. I installed all the new parts and use the supplied lube on the splines. This time the tranny practically fell into the car. A couple wiggles by hand an the tranny seated flush with the motor. I reassembled the car and took it out for two drives today. The first run I jumped on the freeway and the clutch slipped bad. I melowed the throttle and came home to read the breaking instructions this time. Looks like I need 500 miles of stop & go traffic before I can get into the boost.

The second run was about 25 miles around Danville and Blackhawlk. The car is running great. It did go into limp mode once and came back with an O2 code. I restarted, cleared the code and kept driving. No other problems. When I got home 10 miles later, I checked the WB/NB switch I have to the ECU and the connections look suspect. I'm going to remove the switch and WB/NB converter bot and discard it. My ECU was dyno tuned to the NB signal and I don't need this extra circuit. I have a WB sensor still with my Haltecth controller and Innovate gauge. This signal was pushed to the adapter. It converts the WB 5V+ signal and scales it down the NB voltage. It theoretically gives you a WB signal at NB voltage. Since the tuner went with the standard NB signal, I don't need it. My ECU would need to be modified to WB to use the 5V signal.

I think the first new disc was messed up I never tried it before installation so I will never know for sure. Now I have a 2" inspection port on top of the tranny. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I plan to pick up a new flywheel too along with my new clutch. I'm very happy with SPEC and have use one ion the turbo rotary without issues. I may go with a new one again. There are so many to choose from with different weights. The one I have now is 11lb (said the PO). I haven't measured it but it looks smoked and blued. The DAPO told me he had to slip the clutch to prevent stalling. I have had no issues with stalling but my car is 1000+ lbs lighter than the donor. With this flywheel, I can let the car roll forward in 1st gear with out it being jumpy at low or no throttle. I thknk the weight is perfect for the chassis/engine combo.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 29 2015, 10:26 PM
Post #409

Spooling.... Please wait

Well the stock clutch isnt very strong but it should hold 200hp just fine. I would dial your boost back to 10psi but give it a good couple hundred miles of stop and go like you would any other new clutch.

I love my 16lb spec flywheel. Stock is like 23lb or more.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 29 2015, 10:51 PM
Post #410

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 29 2015, 09:26 PM) *

Well the stock clutch isnt very strong but it should hold 200hp just fine. I would dial your boost back to 10psi but give it a good couple hundred miles of stop and go like you would any other new clutch.

I love my 16lb spec flywheel. Stock is like 23lb or more.

I can't dial my boost. I would need to install a MBC. My ECU keeps it at 20psi. I got about 60 miles on it today just tooling around. I can feel the clutch gripping a little better but I'm well over the 200hp mark. I think it will last a month or two.

I pulled out the O2 adapter and got another 22 miles on the car without throwing any codes. My car is running great right now. I am going to trailer it to WCR just in case...
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 29 2015, 11:02 PM
Post #411

Spooling.... Please wait

Why not just grab a bleed type boost controller (like $40 bucks on ebay?) and run that... Your ecu will adjust just fine. 20psi should make you close to 325 on pump. Certainly enough to glaze that clutch really fast. Or just put a vaccume line to your wastegate actuator and run off the wastegate.. at least till your clutch is broken in.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 29 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #412

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 29 2015, 10:02 PM) *

Why not just grab a bleed type boost controller (like $40 bucks on ebay?) and run that... Your ecu will adjust just fine. 20psi should make you close to 325 on pump. Certainly enough to glaze that clutch really fast. Or just put a vaccume line to your wastegate actuator and run off the wastegate.. at least till your clutch is broken in.

Not a bad idea. My WG spring is 10psi. I can just plug the pressure line at the solenoid.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 24 2015, 07:14 PM
Post #413

Resident Electrician

I was recently at a 914 swap meet in San Jose. I bought a tow bar setup for $20. The bar looked like it needed some bracing and stiffening. 8' of 1/2" DOM later and it's ready to go to the powder coater.

Then I turned my attention to the bracket. Clearly home made and in need of work. It mounts to the suspension points like any other but My car is too low and it will never work. BTW, for those following the adventure, my car died when I got home from the swap meet. I found a bad fuel pump relay was the cause.

Measuring my tow vehicle, the hitch is 19" off the ground. With the tow bar flat, the ball cup is 6" off the ground. A difference of 13" places the bracket mounts into the lower section of my bumper. This should make the tow bar level while towing.

Attached Image

So I pulled the bumper and valence and was reminded of how ugly the front end is. The PO really cut a huge hole in the front for air flow. Too big really. I think it might be time to overhaul the cooling system. I always hated how much space is lost up front. Al at Parts Heaven is hooking me up with all the Boxster pieces I need to make a big change. I also need to down size my oil cooler to suit as well. You can see how big my setup is. The oil cooler is sitting on top of the gas tank in this pic. Black paint was too cut down on reflection through the grill.

Attached Image

13" ends up just above the access holes. (plug missing on right) I need to get the radiator out and build reinforcements. I need to get all the parts before I decide on a final design and fabrication. The hacked hole looks terrible. I may have to section a piece from the parts car in my side yard.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 24 2015, 07:54 PM
Post #414

Spooling.... Please wait

Pretty cool about the tow bar!

I've been deciding on radiator setup as well. Thinking about a Sciracco radiator or a vw golf MK2 radiator..

Looking for something dual core and that has a A/C condenser that could fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-For-VW-Golf-2-...604&vxp=mtr
This is on my short list..

This is on my short list for a AC condenser 06 mini cooper
http://www.carparts.com/details/Mini/Coope...64-d402804d0e79
Got an evap built in.

Here is a workup I made for the radiator front pocket where I was going to put all the stuff for my setup.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post May 24 2015, 08:10 PM
Post #415

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

If the 2 of you are considering radiators, take a look at the Celica, and the MR2 radiators as well. Some of the cores are 52mm, and appear to be close to a perfect fit. The MR2's are slightly larger, and you can find them with fan shrouds, and black fans. The Celica rads also can be found with shrouds and fans, but you settle for blue or red (cheesy IMHO) fans the that case. Fan and shroud can be found for less than the radiator alone that Andy posted a link to...
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 24 2015, 08:17 PM
Post #416

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ May 24 2015, 07:10 PM) *

If the 2 of you are considering radiators, take a look at the Celica, and the MR2 radiators as well. Some of the cores are 52mm, and appear to be close to a perfect fit. The MR2's are slightly larger, and you can find them with fan shrouds, and black fans. The Celica rads also can be found with shrouds and fans, but you settle for blue or red (cheesy IMHO) fans the that case. Fan and shroud can be found for less than the radiator alone that Andy posted a link to...

Wow. The MR2 is a great fit! I will have to consider it. And, I can almost buy 3 for the price of Andyrew's Corrado radiator.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 24 2015, 08:39 PM
Post #417

Spooling.... Please wait

The one I posted was just the longest one I could find (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The MR2 radiator sure looks like an interesting option Has a condensor that looks like it could fit as well....

Hmmm....

The lines look like they are made for the radiator to be tilted back a bit. This could work well to fit the radiator closer to the front.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post May 25 2015, 05:14 AM
Post #418

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

Most of the images appear to be posted upside down for most of the radiators for the Celica and MR2. My calculations indicated that both radiators would fit vertically, and do so forward of the back of the headlight boxes.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 25 2015, 10:03 AM
Post #419

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm using the Celica radiator. It fits well.

Celica Rad

Get the fans and shroud if you go that way.

Mike, no wonder that thing never even comes up to temp. Sheeeeesh that's a lot of cooling area!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 25 2015, 11:04 AM
Post #420

Spooling.... Please wait

Those cheap radiators scare me.. I mean they dont even know if they are a 3 row or 2 row! (God forbid if they are a 3 row...)

Im sure they would cool 1.8L just fine, Its just a fear of mine that they are total crap... The Mishimoto is a big company but they dont have a great reputation as a good radiator company.
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:15 AM