Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sasquatch Part III Audi 1.8t transplant..., PCV upgrades finally...
Mueller
post Jul 4 2015, 11:22 AM
Post #461

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 4 2015, 10:09 AM) *

Also wtf is up with your radiator hoses????

Setup looks killer!

Yep, that sure is nice....what size battery? Thought about going to smaller lighter unit or not really concerned about it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 4 2015, 11:33 AM
Post #462

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 4 2015, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 4 2015, 10:09 AM) *

Also wtf is up with your radiator hoses????

Setup looks killer!

Yep, that sure is nice....what size battery? Thought about going to smaller lighter unit or not really concerned about it?

No idea on the battery. It came with the car when I bought it in '09 and all the labels are gone. It's probably time to replace it but it holds a charge and starts the car. I do not like the red top or yellow top gel cells. I've had both and they both had shorter life spans than this one.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 4 2015, 11:43 AM
Post #463

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Is that the size of the toyota radiator inlets? If so ill go halvsies.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 4 2015, 11:56 AM
Post #464

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 4 2015, 10:43 AM) *

Is that the size of the toyota radiator inlets? If so ill go halvsies.

Toyota rad is 1-3/8" but that is an odd ball size and 1-1/4" will stretch over it.

Here's the stuff I'm thinking about...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gates-28445-Green-...5b7&vxp=mtr
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 4 2015, 12:14 PM
Post #465

Resident Electrician

Better price...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRHLF8/?tag=g...sl_6tq5ssaq6a_e
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 4 2015, 12:15 PM
Post #466

Spooling.... Please wait

I havent measured, is the audi outlets 1 1/4?

Btw I am down, let me know when you order it and ill send you paypal.
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jul 4 2015, 12:16 PM
Post #467

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

Bellis your car rules.maybe next year you'll take me for a drive.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 4 2015, 01:37 PM
Post #468

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 4 2015, 11:14 AM) *

Thats the stuff! Gates green stripe is excellent stuff. Never had a problem with those hoses in the last 10 years I have used it. Had plenty of other problems with my cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . Gates green stripe is not something you'll have to worry about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 12 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #469

Resident Electrician

My new green stripe hose showed up today (Sunday USPS). This was $120 shipped to my door from Amazon. I bought the "used" but the description said damaged box. What I received was 50 feet of new hose in a damaged/repaired box. The hose itself is perfect, without even a scratch. The box was barely damaged, but torn in the center of the coiled hose. I have no idea why the Post Office delivered today but I'll take it.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 12 2015, 05:12 PM
Post #470

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Are you planning on still running your auxiliary pump up front like you were showing me at WCR? It definetely helps in moving the coolant along!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 12 2015, 05:18 PM
Post #471

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 12 2015, 04:12 PM) *

Are you planning on still running your auxiliary pump up front like you were showing me at WCR? It definetely helps in moving the coolant along!

Yes, it will stay up front. I might put it on the outlet of the radiator. Right now it's pushing water into it. I need to study the fluid dynamics a little before deciding.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 12 2015, 05:28 PM
Post #472

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I think that's great insurance over a stock mechanical pump doing all the work. I'd think about putting it at the end of the most convoluted side of your tubing to draw it through the twists and turns- keep the flow moving.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 12 2015, 11:00 PM
Post #473

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 12 2015, 02:22 PM) *

My new green stripe hose showed up today (Sunday USPS). This was $120 shipped to my door from Amazon. I bought the "used" but the description said damaged box. What I received was 50 feet of new hose in a damaged/repaired box. The hose itself is perfect, without even a scratch. The box was barely damaged, but torn in the center of the coiled hose. I have no idea why the Post Office delivered today but I'll take it.

Attached Image

Let me know if you want me to PP you $$!

Nice steal!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Feb 27 2016, 07:39 PM
Post #474

Resident Electrician

Looks like my random limp mode issues were part of the battery switch problem. I replaced the old switch with a Moroso unit. The new unit is much larger and interfered with the hood hinge so i had to hog out the mounting hole and make an escutcheon plate. I used some leftover diamond plate I had laying around. I also replaced a broken battery connector that was bugging me. Seems to work great. I put about 10 miles on the car today tooling around the hood, staying in cell phone range just in case...

Car is pretty much ready for WCR. I have a couple things I want to tweak on but it runs great.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 28 2016, 09:18 AM
Post #475

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 12 2015, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 12 2015, 04:12 PM) *

Yes, it will stay up front. I might put it on the outlet of the radiator. Right now it's pushing water into it. I need to study the fluid dynamics a little before deciding.

You have it right just as it is. FWIW, most all pumps "push" water. Yes, they do make "suction" pumps but the efficiency is quite low on these type pumps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Glad to see you quite goofing off and got Frankie back on the road. So was it an intermittent or low voltage problem?
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 28 2016, 11:28 AM
Post #476

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 27 2016, 05:39 PM) *

Car is pretty much ready for WCR. I have a couple things I want to tweak on but it runs great.

Nice! Glad to see you've got it all squared away for WCR already. Might be time to do another engine conversion. You still have a little over 2 months (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Feb 28 2016, 11:30 AM
Post #477

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 28 2016, 07:18 AM) *

You have it right just as it is. FWIW, most all pumps "push" water. Yes, they do make "suction" pumps but the efficiency is quite low on these type pumps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Glad to see you quite goofing off and got Frankie back on the road. So was it an intermittent or low voltage problem?

The battery switch was becoming intermittent before it gave up the ghost. The computer was seeing a random missfire because of it. That would send it into limp mode. At the same time, the positive battery connector was cracked and loose.

With the DBW throttle, limp mode puts the car in idle with no throttle response. Totally sucks when you are 40 miles from home.
+Quote Post
Nocturnal_breed
post Jul 7 2017, 05:16 AM
Post #478

Member No.: 1,834

Mike,

You've talked me into it. I've been reading this build thread since the beginning. So I have a chassis and I've been looking for the right swap, now I have it. Just picked up an Audi 1.8t donor car. The problem is that mine is a 01 a4 Quattro. I can't use the transmission like you did initially. I saw that you bought a 05 -08 boxster s 6 speed and as much as I'd like to do that now I want to put a 5 speed in to get it up and running. The only question that I'm not sure about is are all the 5 speed boxster transmissions a direct bolt up or are there only certain years that will work. From what I see on here they should all bolt up. It is really like to verify that before I buy a transmission that I can't use. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Love the build!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 7 2017, 08:27 AM
Post #479

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(Nocturnal_breed @ Jul 7 2017, 04:16 AM) *

Mike,

You've talked me into it. I've been reading this build thread since the beginning. So I have a chassis and I've been looking for the right swap, now I have it. Just picked up an Audi 1.8t donor car. The problem is that mine is a 01 a4 Quattro. I can't use the transmission like you did initially. I saw that you bought a 05 -08 boxster s 6 speed and as much as I'd like to do that now I want to put a 5 speed in to get it up and running. The only question that I'm not sure about is are all the 5 speed boxster transmissions a direct bolt up or are there only certain years that will work. From what I see on here they should all bolt up. It is really like to verify that before I buy a transmission that I can't use. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Love the build!

All the boxster and Audi FWD from the A4 and the VW passat transmissions are bolt on. If you dont want to spend money on a boxster 6 speed grab a GVT transmission from a FWD manual 06-08 Audi A4. Its a 6 speed as well at a much lower cost. Wont handle the HP of a boxster 6 speed, but should be plenty for most builds. Im going to give it a try and I have quite a bit of power.

Theres one I found in your area for $450 on www.carpart.com
Transmission Assembly
Audi A4 2.0L,5 Sp,FWD 68,706 A N60462 $450 Tuscarawas Auto Parts, Inc. USA-OH(New-Philadelphia) Request_Quote 1-888-832-0066 Request_Insurance_Quote
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jul 7 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #480

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 28 2016, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 28 2016, 07:18 AM) *

The battery switch was becoming intermittent before it gave up the ghost. The computer was seeing a random missfire because of it. That would send it into limp mode. At the same time, the positive battery connector was cracked and loose.

With the DBW throttle, limp mode puts the car in idle with no throttle response. Totally sucks when you are 40 miles from home.

Hi Mike, did u able to fix ur limp mode? If not, have u tried checking if there is no loose wire on ur trottle wiring or maybe some fluid inside the plug wire? My C-240 has limp mode issue before until I found oils along trottle cable wiring plug. I was suggested to replace trottle but after cleaning the plug wires, issue is fixed.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:53 PM