Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

37 Pages V « < 28 29 30 31 32 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cairo's 6
gtgroupe4
post Oct 16 2015, 06:05 PM
Post #581

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,491
Region Association: North East States

New to the Forum (at least posting on 914W).

Still taking solicitations on the color choice, by chance?

I'd like to offer a compromise on the Gold Metallica, which BTW would look great with matching BBS E50's.

Maybe a nice 1970 Green Metallic (L97P). Since you noted Irish Green, adding a bit of metal flake wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 16 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #582

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Welcome and the metallic green is a terrific color. And would be one of the top color choices for sure. I love Adriatic Blue and had my Six come that color there would be no questions about color.
+Quote Post
gtgroupe4
post Oct 16 2015, 08:44 PM
Post #583

Member No.: 17,491
Region Association: North East States

When I find a way to end my originality fetish.

My next ride will be Lilac.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 18 2016, 09:51 AM
Post #584

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

I'm still dealing with the backlog, and some issues my former employee left so it's been an hour here and there on Michaels until these other issues are sorted. Engine tin is all repaired and modded and waiting on the powder coater, heater boxes were a PITA. The metal used for the shell was thin to begin with, and being rusted on the inside, it kept blowing through as I was welding. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 18 2016, 10:02 AM
Post #585

rust free you say ?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 18 2016, 10:08 AM
Post #586

rust free you say ?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 18 2016, 10:24 AM
Post #587

rust free you say ?

We got some chrome back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jan 18 2016, 10:37 AM
Post #588

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Impressive!
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 18 2016, 10:40 AM
Post #589

rust free you say ?

I'm missing a few pics, they may be on my shop camera. Nothing major, just the finished work on the engine tin and the underside of the trunk finished up. If I find them I'll add them.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 18 2016, 08:59 PM
Post #590

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice work on those H.E.'s! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 18 2016, 09:39 PM
Post #591

Michael

Terrific job on the heat exchangers - they look great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Thanks for posting some pictures it keeps me going.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 18 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #592

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Why save those rusty headers? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Isn't there a better option?
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 18 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #593

rust free you say ?

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 18 2016, 07:49 PM) *

Not really. It's this, or stock sized tubing ones for 3000.00 + until someone makes O.E. style with oversized tubing for larger engines. We're just saving these to use until that happens
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 18 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #594

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 18 2016, 11:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 18 2016, 07:49 PM) *

Not really. It's this, or stock sized tubing ones for 3000.00 + until someone makes O.E. style with oversized tubing for larger engines. We're just saving these to use until that happens

I saw them in person and I sure wouldn't mind owning them once Scotty got done with them. All the rust repair on these cars sort of looks like crap until it doesn't. Then it looks nice again.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 19 2016, 08:01 AM
Post #595

Michael

Hi Mike- If I could order a set of new heat exchangers with bigger tubes for the 3.2 I would. Until tat is an option I saw no reason to drop $3K+ on the exact same thing I already have, albeit brand new. Scotty will make these look great, no leaks and then they get ceramic coated -hopefully.

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 19 2016, 12:19 PM
Post #596

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

What an awesome build! Cairo, I'm in Petaluma and gotta meet you at some point.
Scotty - u da man, man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Biggles
post Jan 19 2016, 03:14 PM
Post #597

Member No.: 16,353
Region Association: England

Hi,

I just asked Per at Stoddards this only yesterday and he advised that 'We are considering the larger ones, but need to sell through the smaller ones first.' Make of that what you will. I live in the UK so have no option but to have heat exchangers ! Might buy a OEM set and convert with 1 5/8" pipes which seems the way to go for a 3.2 engine.

good luck with the build !

Chris.

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 19 2016, 02:01 PM) *

Hi Mike- If I could order a set of new heat exchangers with bigger tubes for the 3.2 I would. Until tat is an option I saw no reason to drop $3K+ on the exact same thing I already have, albeit brand new. Scotty will make these look great, no leaks and then they get ceramic coated -hopefully.

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 19 2016, 05:19 PM
Post #598

Michael

Yeah, I spoke with Stoddards too when they first announced the NOS heat exchangers and they told me the same thing. What I took from that was in a couple years they might make some bigger tube heat exchangers.

It is my hope that my car will have long since been in my garage with me going for weekly drives. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 19 2016, 05:24 PM
Post #599

Michael

Hi Tygaboy - Thanks so much. It is my sincere hope that Scotty documenting this build to this level will allow others to fully appreciate the issues these cars can present when you start to work on them.

Keep in mind, aside from a dragging brake caliper in the r/f, I drove this car when I bough it and it looked pretty decent.

It seems we get a few of these projects which stall and are abandoned when the real depth of the work required rears its ugly head. I just want people to go into these cars/projects with their eyes wide open so their expectations are realistic.

I love my Six and will keep it until I can no longer drive. Then, if my son is a responsible car person, he can have it. If he is not interested, I would make sure it went to a true Six lover so others can appreciate these beauties for decades to come.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jan 20 2016, 09:08 AM
Post #600

rust free you say ?

I can't begin to count how many times I have had people tell me

" you'll love doing this car, it doesn't have any rust"

I have YET to get into one of them and not find any issues. The 356-C coupe I did a couple years ago was the biggest surprise as it truly did not have ANY rust. Other than that, I have taken in cars that were running driving mid west cars with no signs of rust, garage kept east coast cars, 2 California cars only to start stripping them and find holes filled with bondo, fiberglass, or in the case of Michaels car, severe accident damage. One 911 we did a couple years ago had all of this,and the chassis was twisted, and this guy was the 3rd owner....his brother was the second. He was one of the ones that told me the car was a gem, just needed a little work on one rear 1/4 that had been hit previously. I have had several that had been wrecked early on in life and repaired at the standards of that day. ( Michales and Marks cars both were ) Now, multiply that one cars issues by 5-6 cars and you end up with one hell of a headache to deal with.

I make sure I post some of the worst stuff I run across just for the very reason Cairo mentioned. I know people get into this kind of restoration with big eyes and big hearts until the reality hits, because they rarely see the true ugliness that CAN lie beneath the paint. It's near impossible to tell a lot of the time exactly what condition a car is in until it has been stripped. I have been fooled by several customers cars, and have also made 2 bad purchases of my own based on buying on emotion, and not digging deep before handing over the $$$. There are at least 3 members here that have shown up with what they thought were solid cars, and right in front of them I tore out fiberglass that was covering holes, bondo'd and painted. Roofing tar over shitty longs with paint on top of it. The '1987 911 that had a piece of spring steel welded between the 2 A arms to keep the front end " in place " that when I unbolted it, it literally fell out of the car, leaving one of the mounts dangling by a chunk of RTV ( I have pics of that, and the piece of RTV covered floor pan hanging on the wall in the shop.) That guy had been told by another shop he just needed a front end alignment !

If I had taken pics of everyone of the "patches" I've run across, it would make a pretty intertaining book.

I have a 911 in right now that was owned by a Porsche tech, and then another Porsche fan. None of us were aware of the shit that was under the car. We knew the front pan had issues, but had no idea until he undercoating was stripped off that the whole front end was shot. Wrecked, pulled back out, rusted, patched, bondo'd, painted and undercoated.

I even had a 4 year old Toyota pickup come in several years ago from a dealer we did work for that had the frame almost rusted in two. It had gone through an auction house in Pa. The buyer put the car on his lift to change oil and a chunk of bondo came of the frame. Turned out I scraped the under coating off, popped the bondo off, pulled the duct tape off and found the frame so rusted it was flexing I told the dealer to send a rollback, I was NOT going to drive it back

I hope my posts don't discourage anyone from taking a big job, but what I do hope, is that they make people take a better look at their potential project. ALWAYS remember a 300.00 PPI by someone with the knowledge can save you 10's of thousands down the road

+Quote Post

37 Pages V « < 28 29 30 31 32 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 11:41 PM