Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 to a GT conversion, metal work
The Metal Surgeon
post Nov 19 2014, 11:40 PM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,902
Region Association: None

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Nov 20 2014, 01:58 PM
Post #182

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Beautiful
+Quote Post
Rleog
post Nov 20 2014, 08:53 PM
Post #183

Member No.: 1,239
Region Association: North East States

The bar moves higher.

Thanks, Jon
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Nov 20 2014, 09:00 PM
Post #184

Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Wow.....
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 20 2014, 09:02 PM
Post #185

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bad Ass job !

+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 20 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #186

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Beautiful.

Love the color.
+Quote Post
The Metal Surgeon
post Nov 20 2014, 09:43 PM
Post #187

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Nov 20 2014, 11:04 PM
Post #188

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Stellar work.

I won't ask. I know that I can't afford it...
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Nov 21 2014, 07:27 AM
Post #189

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

Fantastic! I really like the rocker treatment!
+Quote Post
Rleog
post Nov 21 2014, 07:47 AM
Post #190

Member No.: 1,239

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 21 2014, 01:04 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Stellar work.

I won't ask. I know that I can't afford it...

His shop website says $67/hr. That may be an outdated listing, but it's an incredible bargain for this caliber of work.
+Quote Post
cary
post Nov 21 2014, 10:50 AM
Post #191

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Stunning workmanship.
+Quote Post
Gudhjem
post Nov 21 2014, 12:31 PM
Post #192

Member No.: 7,629
Region Association: Northern California

/sigh

This thread made me cry, it's just so damn beautiful. What an inspiration it is - can't wait to make progress on my car this weekend.

$67/hour just makes no sense for talent like this. Wow.

The work on the rocker panels is especially impressive. I figure I'm an okay welder (learned from my journeyman Dad), but fabricating those pieces is probably beyond me. I may give it a try anyway. It would be aweesome to see more detail on how you accomplished that work, how you made the curves, what tools you used, etc.

Great stuff, thanks for posting.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Nov 21 2014, 03:34 PM
Post #193

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

Not sure how I ever missed this thread... simply incredible.

True artist... completely.

WOW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
The Metal Surgeon
post Nov 21 2014, 10:12 PM
Post #194

thanks guys for the kind words.Yes we are $67 per hour plus materials.

We are cheaper than most and some people say we are too cheap (hope that doesn't put people off).However i am grateful people /customers are in a position to have cars restored because as we know its not cheap,so im happy at a our lower rate.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Nov 22 2014, 07:17 AM
Post #195

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

What are you doing for a front valence? Can you make 2 ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Nov 23 2014, 03:20 AM
Post #196

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Nov 22 2014, 04:12 AM) *

We are cheaper than most and some people say we are too cheap (hope that doesn't put people off).However i am grateful people /customers are in a position to have cars restored because as we know its not cheap,so im happy at a our lower rate.

It's difficult to know where to pitch rates and the resulting trajectory. Yours is comparable to the guy that did my 911 who was equally skilled (a rare talent and beautiful thing to behold BTW). He was constantly busy with only restoration work, not too stressed and had 2 skilled guys helping (one of whom was principally a painter) and a part time trainee who was also in technical college doing basic stuff.

Due to the quality of the workmanship he built a fantastic reputation. 6 years down the line he's taken on more staff, has a bigger shop and has a bigger overheads / more mouths to kept fed. From what I hear and seen in the shop the rates are top dollar to keep stoking the boiler. Quality is still good, but not what it once was, there are more complaints & Terry is much much less hands on due to managing the business, staff etc

The way I see it is they are now trading partly on the past glories and sooner or later it's going to catch him out. I have already decided my -6 will not be going there, principally because I think the quality of workmanship is not worth the rate they are now charging.

I want it done right and as you say that takes 100's of hours. Personally I would rather take it somewhere where I know that when I get the call saying we have found X, do you want to do Y or Z? My 1st thought is what is the right thing to do and not that Y is 8 hours less than the other. As we all know its rare that you don't get lots of those calls and all those hours add up

If you are happy with the quantity of work coming through the door & it's the kind of work that keeps you interested every day, not totally stressed out with managing the business and the family well feed then stick with it. I think lot of highly skilled people start like you and without realise it end up in the position above, they are not really earning that much more personally & have much more hassle in their life

+Quote Post
altitude411
post Nov 23 2014, 09:57 AM
Post #197

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932

These things are all true^ but at some point in everyones career they get burned out. Small business is hard work and even doing what you truly love gets tiring at some point. I ran my business for twenty five years after five year apprenticeship from my uncle. There comes a time when doing all the work becomes less gratifying and at that point teaching is the motivating factor. Then, if the teacher has done his job and the student has paid attention and the talented is there, then the student's work is elevated to the level (hopefully even beyond) the level of the teacher. This is what keeps trades like metal work and the like advancing forward. Talented tradesmen need to teach the up and comers the secrets of the trade. Most, if not all great artist have had a great mentor who has taking the time to teach his craft. The trick is making sure the student(s) have the ability to do good work before the teacher gives them full reign of the studio/shop... This is what separates the good shops from the average.

Anyway, it's fantastic to see such a talented artist (thanks for posting your work) and please take the time at some point in your career to teach the kid who shows interest and talent for the trade.... Keep posting photo's please. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
The Metal Surgeon
post Nov 23 2014, 09:47 PM
Post #198

QUOTE(SixerJ @ Nov 23 2014, 02:20 AM) *

QUOTE(The Metal Surgeon @ Nov 22 2014, 04:12 AM) *

It's difficult to know where to pitch rates and the resulting trajectory. Yours is comparable to the guy that did my 911 who was equally skilled (a rare talent and beautiful thing to behold BTW). He was constantly busy with only restoration work, not too stressed and had 2 skilled guys helping (one of whom was principally a painter) and a part time trainee who was also in technical college doing basic stuff.

Due to the quality of the workmanship he built a fantastic reputation. 6 years down the line he's taken on more staff, has a bigger shop and has a bigger overheads / more mouths to kept fed. From what I hear and seen in the shop the rates are top dollar to keep stoking the boiler. Quality is still good, but not what it once was, there are more complaints & Terry is much much less hands on due to managing the business, staff etc

The way I see it is they are now trading partly on the past glories and sooner or later it's going to catch him out. I have already decided my -6 will not be going there, principally because I think the quality of workmanship is not worth the rate they are now charging.

I want it done right and as you say that takes 100's of hours. Personally I would rather take it somewhere where I know that when I get the call saying we have found X, do you want to do Y or Z? My 1st thought is what is the right thing to do and not that Y is 8 hours less than the other. As we all know its rare that you don't get lots of those calls and all those hours add up

If you are happy with the quantity of work coming through the door & it's the kind of work that keeps you interested every day, not totally stressed out with managing the business and the family well feed then stick with it. I think lot of highly skilled people start like you and without realise it end up in the position above, they are not really earning that much more personally & have much more hassle in their life

i totally agree with you,the hard part is hiring 'skilled' staff.I have recently gone through 4 metal workers that didn't meet the standard.I wont settle for mediocre so hopefully i wont fall into the trap as you state.
Its something i am aware of and in the pursuit to find quality metal workers we are in the process of sponsoring a guy from England.The working visa takes time and he'll be with us in 11 months time out of a total 17 month process.

+Quote Post
The Metal Surgeon
post Nov 26 2014, 09:24 PM
Post #199

setting up for the car show @ our vendor spot.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Nov 26 2014, 10:18 PM
Post #200

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932

I really wanted to make this show and stop by your booth to see this beautiful car & visit w/you but as fate would have it..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Enjoy the show, I hope there is a great turnout. The car looks fantastic under the lights! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 10:54 AM