Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rare 914-S for sale on Craiglist?, Only 1000 imported?
Tom_T
post Dec 14 2012, 10:08 AM
Post #61

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 14 2012, 07:38 AM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 13 2012, 09:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 13 2012, 09:36 PM) *

Ya, but Maury was a whack job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) The price fits his profile.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Decided the whole 'bedside manner' is just a bunch of hooey, Doc?

And I thought that guy was Murray, no? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Now there's a case of the pot calling the kettle black. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Murray was ok in my book.
I spoke to him at length by phone a couple times.
I thought he got a bad rap here, all because a couple of smartasses slandered him with unjustified and inaccurate personal attacks.
His colorful way of posting helped cement the negative opinions of the larger community.
I tend to believe his side of the stories over what the others said.
Just sayin'...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

He earned my respect in talking to Murray Andy.

And in my generation we were raised to give others respect and to be polite from the outset & maintained until someone does something to unearn it; and which respect should apply in person, on the phone, and online.

Now Mike/Doc - I've seen that pic of you humping some statue which was posted on here a while back - so who's the "whacko"!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 14 2012, 10:09 AM
Post #62

TMI....

QUOTE(reharvey @ Dec 14 2012, 07:39 AM) *

This ad says there was an S in 73 so whats the history behind all that.

go here & read....
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=107851&st=
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 14 2012, 11:01 AM
Post #63

TMI....

QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 13 2012, 08:21 PM) *

Didn't the "S' version come with Corinthian leather?

No Tod, that was the even rarer "914 Cordova" model, of which they only built 3-1/2! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm sure you remember the Ricardo Montalban TV ad for it - it played one time.
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Dec 14 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 15,125
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It's clear that both Porsche, and the American distributors were part of the 914S designation to some degree, and however briefly before it was killed. So for those of us with early 73 cars it seem legitimate to use the term...Perhaps even for ANY 73 2.0.

Does it mean anything really? No…Just historical minutia.

When I had the car appraised in the late 80's by some high-end auto appraiser when my company was shipping and insuring the car...in the detailed appraisal, he even listed the car as a 914S. Again, it doesn't mean anything, I know, but I just find it interesting that the designation was still alive with people in the know even 15 years later.

Got this plate in 1987 I think.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 14 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #65

TMI....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Porsche+Audi at a `72/`73 Ft Worth TX Auto Show -

Attached Image

and Steve G/smg914 had a similar plate to yours, but in NJ IIRC in the pic below.

Attached Image

Dang 914S rebels & trouble makers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Tom T -in case you missed it: early `73 914-2.0 "914 S" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
///////
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Dec 14 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #66

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 14 2012, 12:12 AM) *

I call bull (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) Porsche advertised a 914 S which they never sold as a 914 S but the 2.0 instead. Besides, look at that rear badging. The S is not proportioned, it's larger than the 914 badge and too far away, doesn't even look like the same font - almost, but not quite. Looks like something fashioned and amaturishly executed to get a few more bucks.

Yeah, it's obviously a fake "S" badge. I think it's unfortunate that the seller is trying to push the rarity of the so-called "S" designation. It seems like a nice car in its own right.

What makes the "S" moniker so polarizing is that most put no credence in it, but there are a few that disagree. To me (and this is only my opinion) the only special cars from the early '73 model year are the cars with vinyl on the A-pillar. At least that's something you can point out as different from the rest, not the phony baloney "S" badge the owner apparently is trying to pass off as real.

BTW, while it's not something you see everyday, adding an "S" badge has been done many times before. Here's one example, a '70 with a 2056 engine:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-12234-1328863815.jpg)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 14 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #67

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 14 2012, 05:36 PM) *
Here's one example, a '70 with a 2056 engine:

I know that street! That looks to be in front of Bill Eason's shop in Oakland ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Dec 14 2012, 08:02 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

That muther F@$% stole my plate, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Dec 14 2012, 08:11 PM
Post #69

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 14 2012, 05:45 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 14 2012, 05:36 PM) *
Here's one example, a '70 with a 2056 engine:

I know that street! That looks to be in front of Bill Eason's shop in Oakland ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

You are correct. About two years ago, Bill sold this car for a woman whose husband had passed away. I went to Bill's shop to test drive it. It was the first 914 I test drove and so I passed on it. Still regret it. I think Bill wanted $6000, which, considering the condition of the car, was a great deal.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Dec 14 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #70

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

WTF is a handle package?

Does that mean it has front and rear "oh SHIT!" handles?

"Handle package front and rear sway bar"
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Dec 15 2012, 08:39 AM
Post #71

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

Cool plate!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-12234-1328863815.jpg)
+Quote Post
72914S
post Dec 15 2012, 06:01 PM
Post #72

love this shot

Member No.: 900

Here is 1

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 15 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #73

TMI....

Jim M/RJMIII was making his own custom 914-S badges, & now that Carrie/A&Pgirl bought his equipment, I assume she'll do them too.

Those were more like the real "911-S" badges after which he patterned them, & they looked more correct than a separate "S" at the 2.0/1.7 badge position - but they may leave you with vacant badge-stud holes to fill.

Carrie/A&Pgirl has a topic in the Garage &/or Member Vendors &/or parts for those interested.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) .... maybe for (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)

Again - not an "official" Porsche/VW-Porsche badge - but rather just for fun, or "just for the halibut"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Merry & Happy All! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)

+Quote Post
914Eric
post Dec 15 2012, 06:14 PM
Post #74

QUOTE(72914S @ Dec 15 2012, 04:01 PM) *

Here is 1

I would NEVER put one of those on my car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 15 2012, 06:22 PM
Post #75

TMI....

Okay All -

I heard back from the seller in the CL ad, and it is/was Murray's 73 914-2.0, and I've clarified on the "rarity" of the "914 S" for him, and pointed him to this site & others to list it. However, I'm not sure if he's selling it for Murray, or if he bought it from Murray at some point & is now selling it himself. I will post a clarification if/when I hear back.

Aside from the guy's limited knowledge of the 914-2.0/"914 S" & options etc., and aside from some writing errors (e.g.: "handle package" instead of "handling package" for the "Performance Group" of options with F&R [ant-]sway bars) - this looks to be a good 40+ year old car, despite some OE equipment different than what the "914S" marketing included -as noted in this 12/72 magazine ad below, which I listed below that. The seller may have those original parts in his stash to sell with the car. For those who like yellow 914s & are looking for a 73 2L - assuming everything checks out as a real 2.0 & in a PPI.

Attached Image Attached Image

There is a listing of the options/groups included on the early 73 MY 914-2.0's marketed here in the USA/Canada only as the "914 S" FYI.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=107851&st=

There's a difference between the first 1000 914s of the 73 Model year (perhaps up to the first 2000 judging by mine & a few others out there), where Porsche had both some carry-over of some earlier 70-72 MYs' parts - such as the chromed window windows & int. door handle surrounds, mixed brake calipers (mine has early rears & late fronts), etc.; as well as a very short lived "experiment" with putting the black pebble-finish vinyl from the Sails/C-pillar/Roll-bar also on the A-pillars & top of windscreen frame.

However, the 914-2.0's were marketed as such up to at least mid-model year, so perhaps as many as 3-6,000 `73 914-2.0's could be considered "914 S's" ( USA got about 60% of total production), & some like to call all "loaded" options `73 914-2.0's as 914S. Since it was only a USA-only marketing designation, it's not hard & fast. The main key is the 73 914-2.0's were mostly fitted with just about every option available (Appearance Group + Performance Group options) for the base price, and from the `74-76 MYs they were again made extra cost (a few de-optioned late 73 914-2.0's do exist & some dealers called them "914 Sports" like Dave K's).

If it has a Porsche COA (Certificate of Authenticity) confirming it as a 1973 914-2.0 & listing the engine & possibly the transaxle case numbers (I think I recall that he did get one), then that would confirm it as a "real" one (since there are so many 1.7 to 2.0 conversions out there, even PCNA makes you send a photo of you engine case # before confirming it on their COAs).

This seemingly very nice 73 914 is really only "off" of "all original," by the items listed them below as the "vs. xxxx"...

The rear "914" + "S" badge - vs. - a separate "2.0" in the place of the "S"

The Momo steering wheel is a nice aftermarket item - vs. - the original OE leather-wrapped Porsche 4-spoke "butterfly" style wheel

The USA Taillight lenses would have red where the ones on there have amber, & the USA oval front turn signal lenses would've been all amber (maybe he has the originals)

44mm IDF Webers (New) - vs. - D-Jet Electronic Fuel Injection with all system components & higher pressure fuel pump (which would be way too much pressure for carbs)
> it also may have some other performance enhancements or larger Euro 8.0:1 CR Heads, 2056 cc up-build, cams, etc.???

chrome bumpers (back-dated front) - vs. - the original 73 chrome front bumper with the 2 big rubber bumper guards/tits
- & the incorrect 74 rear bumper with the rear mounting holes for the 74-only rear guards covered with plugs - vs. - the smooth 71-73 style bumper
> I'm guessing it had a resto & some point prior to Murray, and the PO used nice chromed but 2 wrong-for-73-MY replacement bumpers.

Mahle "Baby Gas Burner Wheels" (4-lug Mahles are "Baby" GBs) - vs. - Fuchs 4-lug 2 Liter (windmill style) Forged Alloy wheels
> unless his COA or dealer new sale invoice shows the Mahles

Console and full instrumentation - with later updated gauges - vs. - the original & slightly larger with different faces: Keinzle Clock, Oil Temp Gauge (w/ wide red band) & Voltmeter

Based on the NADA values for Murray's zip code at the link below, if the car is as nice as I think it is, then it's a bargain at the asking price!

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/197...arga-2-0/Values

"Big Assed 'S' " badge & some non-original items aside - it certainly looks to be a very nice & running 73 914-2.0 well above the Low & above Average Values there - pending more pix, look-see & drive, & a qualified PPI.

I know there are several newbies out there looking for a 73-74 914-2.0, and this may be a good one for them.

Happy Holidays! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 15 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #76

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(914Eric @ Dec 14 2012, 01:06 PM) *

It's clear that both Porsche, and the American distributors were part of the 914S designation to some degree, and however briefly before it was killed. So for those of us with early 73 cars it seem legitimate to use the term

Got this plate in 1987 I think.
Attached Image

A plate does not make a car, otherwise I could make a fortune

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 15 2012, 06:34 PM
Post #77

TMI....

QUOTE(914Eric @ Dec 15 2012, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(72914S @ Dec 15 2012, 04:01 PM) *

Here is 1

I would NEVER put one of those on my car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

I ordered & paid for a 914-S badge from Jim back in May 2012 (which I never got), but my plan was not to put it on my 73 2L - but rather to use it in some non-invasive way for display purposes.

.... you know, just for the halibut! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

However, so long as somebody is personalizing their own 914 - & not making some odd claims about it, I see nothing wrong with an owner doing what they want with their own car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Holiday Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
///////
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Dec 15 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #78

QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 15 2012, 04:29 PM) *

A plate does not make a car, otherwise I could make a fortune

Attached Image

Attached Image

Nice
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
914Eric
post Dec 15 2012, 07:51 PM
Post #79

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 15 2012, 04:34 PM) *

my plan was not to put it on my 73 2L - but rather to use it in some non-invasive way for display purposes.

However, so long as somebody is personalizing their own 914 - & not making some odd claims about it, I see nothing wrong with an owner doing what they want with their own car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

///////

I'd put one on my tool box or hang in the shop, just not on the car. I've even thought about removing the dealer Add-ons that aren't technically original like the aluminum kick-plates, and non-factory Porsche badge on the rear. But since that is the way the car was delivered...I decided they should stay.

After all, Yenko was a dealer that did add-on to their cars and that has worked out pretty well.

Others can customize their cars any way they want. And then mine will be even rarer. Haha!

Merry Christmas back at you Tom!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 15 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #80

TMI....

QUOTE(914Eric @ Dec 15 2012, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 15 2012, 04:34 PM) *

my plan was not to put it on my 73 2L - but rather to use it in some non-invasive way for display purposes.

///////

I'd put one on my tool box or hang in the shop, just not on the car. I've even thought about removing the dealer Add-ons that aren't technically original like the aluminum kick-plates, and non-factory Porsche badge on the rear. But since that is the way the car was delivered...I decided they should stay.

After all, Yenko was a dealer that did add-on to their cars and that has worked out pretty well.

Others can customize their cars any way they want. And then mine will be even rarer. Haha!

Merry Christmas back at you Tom!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)

Eric - I was thinking along the lines of mounting it on a display board about the 914-S story, & of my resto/ownership.

All dealers did those add-ons, since they made & still make far more money - 50-60% profit - on those, vs. maybe 10-15% or much less on a car.

Sounds like yours was set-up by Yenko, similar to the way my buddy got his 71 914/4 from the dealer new here in SoCal (can't recall the dealer), & apparently everything on there was special ordered by someone who backed out - including the polished Western Wheels & rosewood dash kit in the pix below, so he got all the "personalization goodies" essentially free!

Attached Image

That's still the original paint & almost everything on it is still the way it rolled out of the dealership in early 71! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:26 PM