Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rare 914-S for sale on Craiglist?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
JawjaPorsche
The ad says this is a rare 914-S for sale. The car does not have FI.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3470677982.html
type47
This is gonna stirthepot.gif up some sh!t blink.gif
bulitt
How can it be rare if they built 1000?
ellisor3
Let's see:

1.) Atlanta area Porsche
2.) So exceedingly rare, they imported 1000 of them
3.) So exceedingly rare, they never created a seperate model for them.

Who in Atlanta would know something about this?

Well atleast I know what the "S" is for stromberg.gif
nathansnathan
The "S" on the back is slightly crooked. smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Love the way the "S" was stuck on there. Just a little crooked.
SLITS
Read the ad .... it was part of a litter.
Cairo94507
I just hope that whomever looks at that car is smart enough to do some research first so they don't get taken by the idiot seller.
TurbOH Brad
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 13 2012, 08:24 AM) *

Who in Atlanta would know something about this?

Well atleast I know what the "S" is for stromberg.gif

LOL!
tod914
Looks like his "S" designation is about to be dropped by his Porsche too. Nice looking car otherwise.
carr914
QUOTE(type47 @ Dec 13 2012, 08:13 AM) *

This is gonna stirthepot.gif up some sh!t blink.gif

agree.gif
ConeDodger
All the S stuff aside, and the fact that we know who is probably trying to sell it, it looks like a pretty nice car. Not $14XXX. but nice none-the-less...
442nd914s
idea.gif Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the first 1k special edition CA cars have vinyl on the A pilars?
eric9144
QUOTE(442nd914s @ Dec 13 2012, 08:56 AM) *

idea.gif Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the first 1k special edition CA cars have vinyl on the A pilars?

Yes and born in a separate litter sheeplove.gif
MDG
I'll have to dig up that pic of my '73 with the 914 ASS emblem . . .
reharvey
Think I'll add an S to all of my cars! lol-2.gif
RFoulds
I prefer the Type R, like all the tuner boys have.
Hammy
It is a nice looking car, though for 14.5k I'd expect it much more original.
Cap'n Krusty
It appears to have the wrong front bumper .................................
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Dec 13 2012, 10:41 AM) *

I prefer the Type R, like all the tuner boys have.

If it weren't a NARP, you could put an "RS" on it and really have something special!
Jgilliam914
agree.gif with the previous 3 posts
442nd914s
"S"=Special
"RS" = Really Special?
Hammy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 13 2012, 10:52 AM) *

It appears to have the wrong front bumper .................................

agree.gif

Did they actually have a "S" badge or were they just marketed as that?
Cupomeat
Yeah, the S is tacked on and not sure where it came from.

Also, the Mahles, while probably the best looking of the 4 lug wheels, are NOT the gas burner variety (Which are only 5 lug).

So, without seeing it and know how original and rust free it is, I have no idea if it worth $14k. If it truly is a survivor it could be worth $10k or more (if they put the FI back on)

Kapt. Krusty, what is it about the front bumper that makes it not original?
bandjoey
Still a nice looking car. If its solid it might bring 14. Add 1 penny for the crooked s happy11.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(442nd914s @ Dec 13 2012, 10:59 AM) *

"S"=Special
"RS" = Really Special?

"Ridiculously Special"

The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Dec 13 2012, 11:21 AM) *

Also, the Mahles, while probably the best looking of the 4 lug wheels, are NOT the gas burner variety (Which are only 5 lug).

So, without seeing it and know how original and rust free it is, I have no idea if it worth $14k. If it truly is a survivor it could be worth $10k or more (if they put the FI back on)

Note the lack of "bumperettes" on the front. Some may crudely refer to them as "tits". You know I would never do that. Right. AFIK, 73s had 'em, pre-'73s didn't.

The Cap'n
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 13 2012, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Dec 13 2012, 11:21 AM) *

Note the lack of "bumperettes" on the front. Some may crudely refer to them as "tits". You know I would never do that. Right. AFIK, 73s had 'em, pre-'73s didn't.

The Cap'n

Right, thanks, good point. Of course an "original/Survivor" car would not have had the holes filled and the bumper re-chromed.

I call BS unless one of us looks at it.

Oh and thank you, ever so, for your consistent use of proper words and strict decorum in avoidence of such foul words... lol-2.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Your thanks are duly noted. "I Love Big Bumperettes"!

The Cap'n
914Eric
Hey...Mine is an "S" smile.gif

Seriously though...I've read somewhere that the first 1000 which have the vinyl on the windshield posts were the ones with the "S" designation that was a dealer promotion. Soon after the first 1000 shipped, Porsche killed that designation...and the next batch had painted winshield posts.

The car shown doesn't even have the black windshield posts so unless it's been painted...It's not even an early car.

I also remember the dealer referring to our car as an "S" when we bought it and talking it up as to why they were charging a premium.
"This isn't a regular 914, it's a 914S"

I was 16 at the time and very excited. Remember that day well.
JoeSharp
Why can't all my 914's be an "S". We all know of the 914RS. If I wanted to be really rear couldn't I be The RSR?
442nd914s
Well my 2.0Lt doesn't have an "S" on the back nor does it have vinyl covers on the front pilars (B pilars yes) and yet the original bill of sale states is an "S" AND the legal letter size brochure discribes mine to detail that its an "S"
MikeSpraggi
They didn't come with Webers .... they were Solex single barrels and officially were not imported to the US ........... I'm speaking of the "S" badge of course.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Dec 13 2012, 03:07 PM) *

They didn't come with Webers .... they were Solex single barrels and officially were not imported to the US ........... I'm speaking of the "S" badge of course.

The only 914s with those carbs were the base model European market '74 1.8s.

The Cap'n
smj
Well I'm just going to have to get an "RRR" cut for my rarrrre carrrr now...

I'll just have to pray that nobody takes it for a reference to Robin Williams as Mork, the way somebody took my "NONELVN" plate as some kind of Lord of the Rings reference... sad.gif
SUNAB914
Looks like an S to me, what's wrong with you folks? stirthepot.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Dec 13 2012, 06:19 PM) *

what's wrong with you folks? stirthepot.gif

How much time do you have? wacko.gif
reharvey
QUOTE(442nd914s @ Dec 13 2012, 03:40 PM) *

Well my 2.0Lt doesn't have an "S" on the back nor does it have vinyl covers on the front pilars (B pilars yes) and yet the original bill of sale states is an "S" AND the legal letter size brochure discribes mine to detail that its an "S"

I have a 73 sales brochure for the 914S.
Cracker
You guys are so cynical...my Atlanta Special Edition (Vette) is a special "S" model and is #316/1000 - the "S" marker was a dealer add-on!!! piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
"914S" was a USA marketing ploy 8/72 to about Jan/Feb/Mar 73 for the 914-2.0 model, and initially VW-Porsche wasn't even going to add a 1.7 or 2.0 badge to distguish between the two models! huh.gif

So it could still have been marketed as a "914S" & not been one of the first 1000-2000 2.0's sold with the A-pillar vinyl "experiment" (it was also on early 1.7s with appearance group BTW) - would depend on the VIN & build date.

It should have D-jet, Fuchs 4 liter wheels, front tits, etc. if all original.

More on the 914S here for those who haven't read up on them...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=107851&st=

That said... idea.gif ....this could be Maury/me733's 73 914-2.0 ("914S") - an older member on here (age wise), which a friend is helping to sell for him, cuz I know he's been in poor health. He took good care of it, as he did his 356s before.

So maybe someone should check & see if it is his 914 first - before the sniping - and see if there is any way that we on here can help him out? shades.gif

After all, that IS what has been done for others in similar circumstances here - you guys usually rally round to help out! smilie_pokal.gif

Just a thought! santa_smiley.gif

PS - I'll try to call Maury or the ad guy tomorrow or this weekend to see if it is his & if we can help out in any way (I know his was yellow with a 914 S badge).
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 13 2012, 09:21 PM) *

"914S" was a USA marketing ploy 8/72 to about Jan/Feb/Mar 73 for the 914-2.0 model, and initially VW-Porsche wasn't even going to add a 1.7 or 2.0 badge to distguish between the two models! huh.gif

So it could still have been marketed as a "914S" & not been one of the first 1000-2000 2.0's sold with the A-pillar vinyl "experiment" (it was also on early 1.7s with appearance group BTW) - would depend on the VIN & build date.

It should have D-jet, Fuchs 4 liter wheels, front tits, etc. if all original.

More on the 914S here for those who haven't read up on them...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=107851&st=

That said... idea.gif ....this could be Maury/me733's 73 914-2.0 ("914S") - an older member on here (age wise), which a friend is helping to sell for him, cuz I know he's been in poor health. He took good care of it, as he did his 356s before.

So maybe someone should check & see if it is his 914 first - before the sniping - and see if there is any way that we on here can help him out? shades.gif

After all, that IS what has been done for others in similar circumstances here - you guys usually rally round to help out! smilie_pokal.gif

Just a thought! santa_smiley.gif

Ya, but Maury was a whack job confused24.gif The price fits his profile.
MDG
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 13 2012, 09:36 PM) *

laugh.gif

Decided the whole 'bedside manner' is just a bunch of hooey, Doc?

And I thought that guy was Murray, no? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Chris H.
For some reason that license plate is ringing a bell....it's a CA plate. Anyone else remember whose it was?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 13 2012, 09:49 PM) *

laugh.gif

We were calling him Murray. confused24.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 13 2012, 10:22 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 13 2012, 09:49 PM) *

laugh.gif

We were calling him Murray. confused24.gif

You were calling him Maury not Murray. Stop messing with my head!! Look up there . . right there . . . you called him Maury.
Tom_T
Yeah Murray - brain fart on my part! blink.gif

Not a whack job IMHO - nice guy in fact every time I've talked or PMed with him, & a Nam Vet - so how about a little respect Doc!? dry.gif

It could also be someone who bought it from him, cuz when I talked on the phone with him last year in May 2011 when we were back in GA for my son's Basic/AIT graduation, he said that he'd not been able to drive it much.
sad.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 13 2012, 07:52 PM) *
so how about a little respect Doc!? dry.gif

Respect has to be earned with actions, not demanded with words ...
popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
Well, I am a Vet, and whack jobs served in Nam, too. The things are not mutually exclusive and I have had plenty of interaction with him on this site to have formed an opinion, and one supported by many others.

Back on topic, I do not see $14K+ in that car. Maybe in 10yrs.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 13 2012, 10:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 13 2012, 07:52 PM) *
so how about a little respect Doc!? dry.gif

Respect has to be earned with actions, not demanded with words ...
popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.