Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rare 914-S for sale on Craiglist?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 19 2012, 12:33 PM) *

"Standing!"

... and to continue with the bit:

"Burma!"

"What'd you say Burma for?"

"I panicked."

biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
"It is now nine o'clock, time for the penguin on top of your television set to explode."

BOOM!

"How'd he know that?"

"It was an inspired guess."
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 19 2012, 02:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 18 2012, 08:52 AM) *

FYI - at one time I'd "guess-timated" the "early-`73 "914S"/914-2.0 production imported to the USA & marketed during the "914S" promotional period 8/72 - 3/73 at maybe something like 4,000+/-.

However, that was only a SWAG estimate based on a PCA generated chart with total `73 914 production for the 73MY x +/-8/12 of year x +/-60% to USA x +/-40% as 2.0's = 4,000+/- "914-S's" - & therefore it's nothing official, but a best guess when Murray & some had asked a couple of years ago.

Tom, if you go with the number posted by bigporsche.com (17,991), you can eliminate one of your geusstimates. Using your formula, that would bring the total to 4822.
The fully optioned 2-liters have models designations 473644 and 473664. You would think there would be a way to get the full year production numbers of those two model numbers.
Click to view attachment

Good info Dave, so at an actual 65.04% - I was pretty close at guessing 60% of the914's coming to the USA (as commonly used in car mags. of the day for Porsche's overall ratio, as was the CA import/sales 40%).

The production numbers I used were about the same from the PCA publication in the pic below - but it breaks out the 2.0's, and I was just being lazy about not looking up my actual estimate number at post #172 in my 914-S topic over in the O&H Forum - so just said 4,000+/- & my actual SWAG estimate was 4800+/- at the post below, but it also gives timeframe & options info. to identify a "914 S" `73 914-2.0....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...7851&st=160

Unfortunately, AFAIK or anyone knows, there were no records by model number - except LE's & 914-6's - for 914s nor any "specials" in the 911 line-up either. The 914 being a "mutt" also had limited info on the Kardex's - often leaving off the transaxle case no. (as with my 914-2.0's COA).

Click to view attachment
> Note that PCA even qualifies their numbers above as the best available info or estimates, but not exact/conclusive.

It's also interesting in that topic what Al Wiedeman says, recalling from he worked for the SoCal Porsche+Audi dealers:

"al weidman
post Sep 13 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #161

Al Weidman
Group: Members
Member No.: 8,736
Region Association: Northern California

Let me add what I think I remember. I sold Porsche's at Kendon P/A and Circle P/A from the summer of 1969 to the fall of 1975. I sold some new 912's then basically all of the 914's. We installed Porsche crests on all 914 hoods, coco mats side stripes and radios, since we could get Clarions for about $40. Per customer's request, we did interior swaps, wheel swaps, exhaust installs and there were even 914 mud flaps. We also put side mouldings on many cars.
As far as the '73 2.0 goes, we believed it was going to be the 914s. We had the brochures and were told about all the improvements and it would have a broader appeal than the 914-6, which we had a hard time selling even at a discounted $5000 even, into 1972. Now comes the interesting part. We heard that the PCA was the lobbying group to drop the "s" as they were insulted that Porsche would even consider calling a 914 an "s". This would explain the time delay and also why the Brits were not advised to stop. In those days the 914-6 was the only 914 considered a real Porsche because the chassis were shipped to Porsche for completion. Even the 912 was suspecious to the 911 crowd and also not accepted by the 356er's either. Remember most Porsche buyers were enthusiasts and knew the cars and options well. Actually quite a lot of our 911's were special ordered. When the wealthy picked up on Porsche's is when they were only interested in "Which is the best or fastest one they make?" The 914 opened up a whole new crowd. I taught many girls how to drive a stick shift. If they would have made an automatic, they could have sold a million. I just don't think they had the capacity to do it. Also VW had planned to stop the car in '74, that's when Porsche stepped up and finished the run to '76 to have a transition car to the 924 and it's connection to Audi for production capacity and maintain an entry level Porsche. BTW I was awarded the "Salesman of the 1972 LA car show" by coming close to selling a car the one of the judges. I knew the cars and loved them, still do, although I have forgotten some of the options."

santa_smiley.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 19 2012, 09:53 AM) *

"It is now nine o'clock, time for the penguin on top of your television set to explode."

BOOM!

"How'd he know that?"

"It was an inspired guess."

... thus proving I'm not the only Python manic on here! I even bought the DVD's & turned my now almost 24 year old son into one as a teen, much to my wife's chagrin! biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
"They take them when they're small."

"What happens when they molt?"

"Lions don't molt."

"But penguins do. Therefore I've run rings around you logically."

"Oh, intercourse the penguin!"
jockellis
If it sells for that, it will validate P.T. Barnum's theory of predatory commerce.
Mike Bellis
IBLT piratenanner.gif

biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(jockellis @ Dec 22 2012, 08:41 PM) *

If it sells for that, it will validate P.T. Barnum's theory of predatory commerce.

Since none of us out of GA have actually seen it to check condition, we can't say if it's a good price or not.

IMHO & according to the experts at NADA, Excellence, Hagerty & other comps (some posted above), it is right in the ballpark - aside from the seller's "914 S" mantra & non-OE stuff: "S" badge, Momo wheel, wrong year F&R bumpers, D-jet & modern radio (the correct Fuchs 2L wheels do come with it & the Mahle Baby-Gasburners" on there).

Many would gladly pay $15k for a well sorted rust-free 73 2.0, with a freshly overhauled motor & transaxle - even with those non-stock items, & the recognized comps support that, as does Hagerty's pricing guide! shades.gif

Do you know more about this 914 Jock, or just putting in an opinion based on ...???? confused24.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 22 2012, 10:26 PM) *

IBLT piratenanner.gif

You're a bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich?? burger.gif

--DD
ChrisFoley
I thought he bought a lottery ticket. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Hmmm, Yenko dealership is in Canonsburg which is 15min from me. I wonder if it is still there. Should I go look?
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 24 2012, 12:34 PM) *

Hmmm, Yenko dealership is in Canonsburg which is 15min from me. I wonder if it is still there. Should I go look?

Here's an old classified ad for Yenko Porsche+Audi but looking at Google maps, I don't see a Yenko dealership in the area.

Click to view attachment

As it looks now ...

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 24 2012, 01:46 PM) *

Dave, do you know if that ad is from the PGH Press-Telegram?

It looks like their fonts to me. I ask cuz my Great-uncle worked there in the 50's-60's, & I think they were still open in 74.

PS - note the used 73 914 ad below that - $4495 1 year old, so I'm guessing it would've been a 1.7, since the 2.0's were $7k+ by the end of the 73 MY.
carr914
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 24 2012, 04:46 PM) *

Here's an old classified ad for Yenko Porsche+Audi but looking at Google maps, I don't see a Yenko dealership in the area.

As it looks now ...

Looks like a perfect home for Dr Evil's Emergency Room & Tranny Clinic
Tom_T
They may have moved a couple of doors down...

http://www.bizapedia.com/pa/YENKO-DON-PORSCHE-AUDI.html

Don Yenko Porsche Audi
573 W Pike St
Canonsburg, PA 15317
scotty b
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 24 2012, 02:19 PM) *

As it looks now ...

smile.gif I like that building smile.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 24 2012, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 24 2012, 02:19 PM) *

As it looks now ...

smile.gif I like that building smile.gif

I believe the Pantera in the ad above it belonged to my former employeer..He ended up selling it in the late 80's to the guy who owned Suburban Buick..Now a subaru dealership.. small world indeed driving.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 24 2012, 02:16 PM) *

It looks like their fonts to me. I ask cuz my Great-uncle worked there in the 50's-60's, & I think they were still open in 74.

PS - note the used 73 914 ad below that - $4495 1 year old, so I'm guessing it would've been a 1.7, since the 2.0's were $7k+ by the end of the 73 MY.

Yes, the Pittsburgh Press. It's the January 12, 1975 edition. Put 29 in the page search box and then zoom into the upper left corner.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=djft...tpage&hl=en

There are also a lot of Yenko ads in the Observer-Reporter.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=6w2ZCmoKEM0C
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 24 2012, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 24 2012, 02:16 PM) *

Yes, the Pittsburgh Press. It's the January 12, 1975 edition. Put 29 in the page search box and then zoom into the upper left corner.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=djft...tpage&hl=en

There are also a lot of Yenko ads in the Observer-Reporter.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=6w2ZCmoKEM0C

Thanx Dave! smile.gif

Have a Merry one! santa_smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.