Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rare 914-S for sale on Craiglist?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Tom_T
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 16 2012, 05:00 AM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Dec 16 2012, 04:41 AM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 15 2012, 11:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 15 2012, 08:10 PM) *

Sounds like yours was set-up by Yenko ...

I think Eric was just using Yenko as an example. Yenko was a Chevy guy.

Actually, Tom and Eric may have stumbled on to something. Yenko did own a Porsche Audi dealership during the Seventies. I think it would be interesting to find out what dealerships did make changes to these cars. Yenko may have done their thing to some 914s and considering their history and the current value of their Camaros, a Yenko 914S could be more rare than a 916.

interesting indeed. I looked at this car about 12 years ago. The owner claimed it was some kind of special dealership built car. I thought he was delusional or trying to blow smoke up my keester. dry.gif If Yenko did own a dealership, could this have been one of his cars ? Don was known for putting decals on his cars, and I have never seen this decal on another 914, it also had a odd interior cloth. Not a houndstooth, but a similar pattern confused24.gif

So - was the 914 + the big "S" replacing the 2.0 badge part of Yenko's special 914 package? confused24.gif

Scotty - do you remember seeing the rear "S" badge on the 914 in your pic? confused24.gif

PS - IIRC, Yenko only had the Chevy dealership, and bought the 914-2.0's from the local Porsche+Audi dealership - or from their distributor - and then added their upgrades package, & resold it at their usual mark-up for tweaked cars. I was born in Pittsburgh PA & still have family there, & used to go back to visit them almost every year. Many of the family being car buffs, we were well acquainted with Yenko, and it was my Dad's brother with the hot rods & `58 `Vette who moved out to Santa Ana in `57 who turned me on the the Yenko Corvair for sale from my prior post.
scotty b
I dont recall whether there was a s badge or not Tom. This was over 12 years ago. I was in my 20's, and just getting into these cars. At that time I had no idea of the special cars like the S, LE, Yenko etc. If only I had known then what I know now slap.gif

I also have no idea if there was a direct link to Don Yenko and the S designated 914's. I would assume he just a 2.0 car whether it was the mythical S or not
balljoint
Yenko also owned a Porshe Audi dealer in PA. This is very common for one group to own dealerships of different manufacturers. Maybe not mixing the big three domestics but imports were another story. I grew up next door to a family that owned a Chev Olds dealership. They eventually had a Jag dealership as well but sold it when Ford bought Jaguar.

Yenko was famous for their Camaros but they had other interests as well. This is a matter of posterity. In fact IIRC there was a court case against Yenko related to book keeping with the Porsche dealership. Who knows, the record battle may have been spawned out of the unapproved rebadging of 914S's.

I maintain that the sheer value of a Yenko Camaro is evidence of the potential value of a Yenko 914S. Especially since 914s have a history of being abused by their owners. Primarily via neglect, whatever the basis. Oh yes, in my opinion, even though I am mostly only seen as a Bug expert, I feel strongly that the rarity of these cars could push them into 916ish valuations.

Tom, you grew up in PA, you don't remember Yenko owning a Porsche Audi dealership? Perhaps they bought one after you moved away?

You know Yenko may have completed various 914S vehicles and shipped them across the country. Even via other dealerships. There is still a ton of research to be done here. Eric and Tom may have opened up something very big here. This is cool.
Tom_T
QUOTE(balljoint @ Dec 16 2012, 12:18 PM) *

Yenko also owned a Porshe Audi dealer in PA. This is very common for one group to own dealerships of different manufacturers. Maybe not mixing the big three domestics but imports were another story. I grew up next door to a family that owned a Chev Olds dealership. They eventually had a Jag dealership as well but sold it when Ford bought Jaguar.

Yenko was famous for their Camaros but they had other interests as well. This is a matter of posterity. In fact IIRC there was a court case against Yenko related to book keeping with the Porsche dealership. Who knows, the record battle may have been spawned out of the unapproved rebadging of 914S's.

I maintain that the sheer value of a Yenko Camaro is evidence of the potential value of a Yenko 914S. Especially since 914s have a history of being abused by their owners. Primarily via neglect, whatever the basis. Oh yes, in my opinion, even though I am mostly only seen as a Bug expert, I feel strongly that the rarity of these cars could push them into 916ish valuations.

Tom, you grew up in PA, you don't remember Yenko owning a Porsche Audi dealership? Perhaps they bought one after you moved away?

You know Yenko may have completed various 914S vehicles and shipped them across the country. Even via other dealerships. There is still a ton of research to be done here. Eric and Tom may have opened up something very big here. This is cool.

Yes Dave, it was a very long time ago. We moved from PGH to San Diego in `63 when I was 10 & Dad got a new job out there, and went back every summer until I moved on to college, and then it was Xmas break, and then every other year or so. Last time in PGH was passing through in July `11 while driving my son's car to him at Ft. Drum NY.

So I probably did miss that he had the P+A dealership. He didn't have it up to `63, but the Chevy one was well known. But then I'm an old fart, so maybe it's just my half-zymers kicking in! biggrin.gif

Most of those multi-dealership ownership situations were/are tightly controlled by contracts with the mfgrs. to limit to only "sister makes" - although now the mfgrs. have less control of those limitations so now you see many with Ford, Kia, VW, etc. under one group - mostly mega-big ones like Penske, etc.

That's probably why Yenko had to sell the P+A & Jag brands back then.
Tom_T
Okay, I just heard back from the seller on this 73 914-2.0 "914-S", and Murray passed away 2-1/2 months ago. sad.gif

It was Murray's, but it was apart for resto/refurb work by Murray when he took ill, and eventually the seller/current owner (who has known him since the 1960's) bought it from Murray a few months ago to finish it up & sell it. He knew the PO before Murray, & linked Murray with him to buy it a few years back. So the seller knows a lot about the car's more recent history, and the PO before Murray is apparently still around, aside from some typo's etc. in his CL ad.

The seller is an older & mostly 356 guy, and he had the engine, carbs & transaxle gone thru & it's running very well now. I've suggested that he put it in the classifieds on here, and add the rebuild/refurb info & modify some of the "914-S" info.

Given what he's said has been done & it's current mechanical condition - it's a strong runner in very good looking condition - so if that all checks out & there is no tin worm issues, then it's probably a good deal at $14,900. He said he also has the OE Fuchs for the car as well.

The ATL area CL ad is still active on here...
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3470677982.html

Maybe billHh needs another 914 in his stable form the right coast!? laugh.gif

popcorn[1].gif
balljoint
Just with a limited check I can only find records of Yenko's Porsche Audi dealer back to the Seventies. That puts it long past your date of departure.
Tom_T
QUOTE(balljoint @ Dec 16 2012, 01:00 PM) *

Just with a limited check I can only find records of Yenko's Porsche Audi dealer back to the Seventies. That puts it long past your date of departure.

I probably didn't pay attention then, on short trips to visit family.
sixnotfour
All Yenkos records got burned, He was a Chevy man, He issued my Dad a yenko serial number so he could race SCCA in a corviar.
I wish I had kept that only piece of my corvair past.

BTW everything yenko did had his name on it.
Eric_Shea
They exist...

Click to view attachment

They even made them in a weird baby $hit green! w00t.gif
MDG
Okay. I guess I eat my words then. Tom was right. I was wrong.

mellow.gif
sixnotfour

Company Name: YENKO, DON PORSCHE AUDI
scotty b
http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?xmldo...LWAR1-1950-1985

COMMONWEALTH v. DON YENKO PORSCHE-AUDI

17 Pa. D. & C. 3d 21 (1980)

Commonwealth
v.
Don Yenko Porsche-Audi

No. 81.

Common Pleas Court of Washington County, Pennsylvania.

June 30, 1980.

Gordon F. Harrington, for appellant.

John J. Kennedy, Jr., Deputy Attorney General, for Commonwealth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ 17 D. & C. 3d 22 ]

RODGERS, J., June 30, 1980.
This is an appeal by Don Yenko Porsche-Audi, of Canonsburg, Pa., from the order of suspension issued by the Director of the Bureau of Traffic Safety of the Department of Transportation of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, suspending appellant's certificate of appointment to inspect motor vehicles "for a period of six (6) months for violation of Section 4731 of the Vehicle Code for fraudulent record keeping (records poorly kept, stickers missing and unaccounted for)."

For reasons hereinafter stated, the appeal is sustained and the suspension set aside.

On or about October 1, 1979 Yenko was notified by the Director of the Bureau of Traffic Safety that a report of September 14, 1979, received from the Pennsylvania State Police, indicated Yenko was charged with "improper record keeping (records poorly kept, stickers missing and unaccounted for).. . ."

After administrative hearing, Yenko's certificate of appointment was suspended for "a period of six (6) months for violation of Section 4731 of the Vehicle Code, for fraudulent record keeping (records poorly kept, stickers missing and unaccounted for)."

At the hearing de novo before this court, the Commonwealth presented evidence that Yenko's copy (TS-431) for the first cycle of 1979 showed 220 inspections, but its work records showed 270 actually performed, and that for the last cycle of 1978, 251 inspections were shown on Yenko's copy of the official form, and the work records showed 241 inspections actually performed. These were errors caused by one mechanic incorrectly interpreting the numbers written in by the prior mechanic.

[ 17 D. & C. 3d 23 ]

The Commonwealth also showed that in the last cycle of 1978 one sticker, P48 . . . 912 was not shown on the TS-431 form. Yenko submitted work records showing this sticker had been affixed by the then service manager who was qualified to perform inspections for a vehicle of Dennis Lehman, but the service manager had failed to note the inspection on the official form.

In addition, the Commonwealth showed that Yenko's mechanics had erred in showing that five stickers had been affixed to ten different vehicles, thus causing the official form TS-431 to fail to account for five stickers actually and properly affixed to five other vehicles.

While other charges were included in the letter of October 1, 1979, the suspension was for fraudulent record keeping, which the bureau equated with records poorly kept, stickers missing and unaccounted for.

While the investigating state police officer, who was the inspection station supervisor and auditor, admitted that he found no fraud and no intent to falsify, nevertheless he stated it was the policy of the Commonwealth to equate fraudulent record keeping with improper record keeping, and that the Commonwealth had concluded the petitioner was guilty of fraudulent record keeping, thus justifying the six month suspension.

This court must decide only whether Yenko has committed the violation for which the sanction was imposed: Com. v. Cormas, 32 Pa.Commw. 1, 4, 377 A.2d 1048, 1050 (1977). The six month suspension has been imposed for fraudulent record keeping (Com. Exh. 2). To be sure, in the initial letter (Com. Exh. 1), the charge was "improper record keeping". Section 4731 of the Vehicle Code, 75

[ 17 D. & C. 3d 24 ]

Pa.C.S.A. §4731, says this: "A record shall be made of every inspection and every certificate issued and the record shall be forwarded to the department in the manner and at the time the department shall specify by regulation. An official inspection station and its records shall be open for inspection by any police officer or authorized department employee." The Department of Transportation has implemented the Vehicle Code by regulations found at 67 Pa. Code, Chapters 471-490. Section 490.1 of Chapter 490 reads, in part, as follows:
"§490.1* Cause for suspension.

"The complete operation of an official inspection station is the responsibility of the owner. Failure to comply with the appropriate provisions of the Vehicle Code or department regulations shall be considered sufficient cause for suspension of all inspection privileges. In addition thereto, violators are also subject to criminal prosecution. . . .
"(1) Duration of Suspension

. . .

3rd and
1st 2nd Subsequent
Type of Violation Offense Offense Offense
. . .
Fraudulent record keeping 6 months 1 year 3 years
. . .
Careless record keeping Warning 3 months 1 year

"(2) Second and subsequent violations as listed above are determined on the basis of previous offenses of the same nature within a three year period."

[ 17 D. & C. 3d 25 ]

It is apparent that the Department of Transportation, by its regulations duly enacted under section 4731 of the Vehicle Code, has distinguished a charge of fraudulent record keeping from careless record keeping. Duly authorized regulations have the force of law: Com. v. Locust Point Quarries, Inc., 27 Pa.Commw. 270, 275, 367 A.2d 392, 394 (1976). See, also, Crary Home v. DeFrees, 16 Pa.Commw. 181, 329 A.2d 874 (1974).
Words shall be construed according to rules of grammar and according to their common and approved usage: 1 Pa.C.S.A. §1903(a). Fraudulent record keeping necessarily involves an intent to deceive, an intent obviously absent where the charge is mere neglect or inattention.

Laws and regulations should be construed, when possible, to give effect to all of their provisions: Com. v. Locust Point Quarries, Inc., supra, at 394. Statutes and regulations in pari materia shall be construed together and the particular controls the general: 1 Pa.C.S.A. §§1932, 1933.

The attempt by the Department of Transportation to equate fraudulent record keeping with improper record keeping strikes from its regulations the charge of careless record keeping. The omission of the proviso to section 819(b) of The Vehicle Code of April 29, 1959, P.L. 58, as amended, 75 P.S. §819(b), from section 4724 of the present Vehicle Code, 75 Pa.C.S.A. §4724, does not have the effect of equating fraud with negligence. Cf. Walker Pontiac, Inc. v. Com., 37 Pa.Commw. 614, 413 A.2d 375 (1978).

The belated claim by the Commonwealth that the finding of fraudulent record keeping was based on a previous warning that the petitioner had "failed to utilize required tools when inspecting motor vehicles.

[ 17 D. & C. 3d 26 ]

All tools extremely dirty and cluttered over the entire garage," by letter of March 8, 1977 is not a prior offense of the same nature as required by section 490.1(2). Even if the alleged prior offense had been for careless record keeping, a second offense of careless record keeping does not support a charge of fraud.
Elementary due process requires the Commonwealth to specify initially whether the charge is careless record keeping or fraudulent record keeping, and whether the Commonwealth is claiming that the inspection station has committed a prior offense of the same nature within a three year period. To allow the Commonwealth to determine in its sole discretion whether the petitioner's action was fraudulent or careless under the rubric "improper record keeping" would be arbitrary and capricious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The court finds that the Commonwealth failed to prove that appellant was guilty of fraudulent record keeping, the alleged violation for which the sanction was imposed.

ORDER

And now, June 30, 1980, the appeal of Don Yenko Porsche-Audi is sustained and the suspension by the Bureau of Traffic of the Department of Transportation of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is set aside.
dlkawashima
Here's an excerpt from the book, Yenko: The Man, the Machines, the Legend ..

In the meantime, Don Yenko began to look into
other franchises for the Pike Street location. "My Dad was
fascinated with the Porsche," said daughter Terri. "That
car had been his main rival in sports car races. If my dad
didn't win a race, no doubt the title had gone to someone
racing a Porsche. Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
My dad acquired Porsche/Audi and later Fiat franchises
for the Pike Street location. It really was my dad's baby. I
don't think my grandfather was too enamored with foreign
cars. I think he probably considered them un-American.
It took some convincing but Dad did finally talk his father
into looking beyond Chevrolet."
turk22
I can't believe the legs of this thread, and the cool turn it has taken.

I never had any idea that Yenko did anything with Porsches at all, and 914s at that!

MDG
QUOTE(turk22 @ Dec 16 2012, 07:49 PM) *

I never had any idea that Yenko did anything with Porsches at all, and 914s at that!

I can't quite believe it either.
Woody
QUOTE(turk22 @ Dec 16 2012, 06:49 PM) *

agree.gif
sixnotfour
smile.gif
442nd914s
Look what I found in the 1973 publication of Clymer repair handbook

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Eric
QUOTE(442nd914s @ Dec 17 2012, 06:28 AM) *

Look what I found in the 1973 publication of Clymer repair handbook

That settles it then.

wink.gif
Tom_T
My 73 914-2.0 was built 8/31/72 by chassis no., and it's original rear trunk back wall panel has the 2 holes for the 914 machine punched & flat on the back/inside - whereas the 2 holes for the 2.0 badge has "push-through at the holes from being drilled after-the-fact & probably after assembly. It's harder to see from the outside in the pic below, but the inside is immediately obvious when you rub your hand over the surface. Sorry no pic of that inside - but the rightmost hole below definitely shows the tell-tale rounded in shape from drilling, & the glue residue was from the 1980 repaint when the studs were broken off. I've talked to a few other early 73 MY built in Aug/Sept 72 owners who had this drilled 2.0/1.7 mounting stud holes situation too.

Click to view attachment

That would seem to coincide with the written articles of that day which I've read (both then & recently) which stated that Porsche/VW-Porsche initially didn't plan to differentiate the 1.7 from the 2.0 with different badges. It's also possible that the badges were just late in production & receipt by the OEM supplier who cast the badges and so some 914s were shipped from the factory without them.

Ergo, there is a possibility that some early production 1.7's & 2.0's were shipped to the USA & elsewhere without any engine/model badge - but just the "914" badge, but I've never seen any proof of this. If so, then it's probable that Porsche would've released a service bulletin or circular instructing dealers & distributors on how to drill holes & add the 1.7/2.0 badges if not installed at the factory, as well as shipping the badges.

If any/all of the above is/are the case, then it's also possible that some renegade or "free thinking" Porsche+Audi dealer might have commissioned their own "914-S" badges like the above, which could mount using the 2 "914" badge stud holes only. I don't know if Eric's example is one of the "modern" repro "914-S" badges like those by Jim M/Carrie, or a TIG welded/glued cut-apart "911-S" + "914" badge, or one that was custom made back in the 1970's by/for a dealer.

IPB Image

They also could've cut off the "S" from the "911-S" badges & drilled just the single hole for the one stud on the S/right-hand portion of the 911-S badges, since they were relatively cheap at $2.50 or $5.00 back then. The single stud of a cut 911-S badge could also explain why Murray's looks wanky vs. the red one's badge in the pics below.

IPB Image

IPB Image

In any/all badge cases above - thereby saving them drilling the 1-2 additional holes, as well as better fitting with VoA/Porsche+Audi's USA marketing campaign for the "914 S" as shown in that 12/72 magazine ad which I posted above, as well as with the dealer sales brochures printed by VoA/Porsche+Audi USA & used in the 1st half of the 73 MY up to maybe March/April `73, depending on the dealer & how long it took them to use up their supply of the first printing.

1973 MY P+A Dealer 4 Pg. & 12 pg. Sales Brochures:

> Back & Front Covers (same as at 12 pg. version):
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

> Inner Spread pgs. 2 & 3 @ 4 pg version:

> Inner Spread on "914 S" on pgs. 10 & 11 of 12 pg. version:

> Note that the Center Console Gauges in the Sales Brochure Pix vary from Actual Production at the OT Gauge:
Click to view attachment
~vs.~
Click to view attachment

I don't recall seeing any back in 72-73 when we took our "field trips" from college at USC up to LA Porsche+Audi or down to Circle or Chick Iverson P+A down south, but there may have been a few out there.

But you just never know what those "cowboy" US Porsche+Audi dealers would do!

So for the ultra-CW purisits - if the factory actually left off 1.7 & 2.0 badges on the first few hundreds/thousands of 914's, does that mean for absolute correctness we'd need to go without!!?? confused24.gif shades.gif
stirthepot.gif biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 16 2012, 03:56 PM) *

Commonwealth
v.
Don Yenko Porsche-Audi

No. 81.

June 30, 1980.

ORDER

And now, June 30, 1980, the appeal of Don Yenko Porsche-Audi is sustained and the suspension by the Bureau of Traffic of the Department of Transportation of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is set aside.

Scotty, this means they vacated Yenko's suspension regarding State inspections, and doesn't really have anything to do with them being forced to sell the P+A dealership. It sounds like Yenko was the typical dealership though - more interested in selling cars & services, than in those pesky details, since they don't deny negligent record keeping, just the State's fraud accusation which brought about the more serious suspension penalty! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 16 2012, 07:09 AM) *

Scooter... The are at least 3 confirmed Yenko built 914s with that stripe package floating around the Pennsylvania countryside. When asked, Don stated:

"...our first Yenko car was a 65 corvair. When I saw the 914 at our Porsche Audi dealership, it just came natural. Air-cooled, engine in the middle and it had those looks that reminded me of our first "Yenko". Aside from the side strips, there was a slight interior treatment and we made sure each one of the Yenko 914s had every bit included in the handling package offered by the factory at the time. But hey, I'm a Chevy guy..."

Eric - if Murray's "914 S" was a Yenko job, could it have been Yenko who modified it with the Weber 44's?

.... do you know anything more about what the "Yenko Package" included for their version of a "914 S" &/or on those 3 confirmed ones?
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 16 2012, 03:24 PM) *

mellow.gif

Why Thank You Mike! smile.gif

.... but what about this? confused24.gif

IPB Image

.... and your prior BS? dry.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 17 2012, 12:36 PM) *

mellow.gif

IPB Image

Your welcome.

And no, I still stand by my theory that the entire "S" thing is the result of a heavy German accent and he was actually saying 'Ass.'

Not S.

Ass.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 17 2012, 09:31 AM) *

Eric - if Murray's "914 S" was a Yenko job, could it have been Yenko who modified it with the Weber 44's?
.... do you know anything more about what the "Yenko Package" included for their version of a "914 S" &/or on those 3 confirmed ones?

Tom, Murray's 914 was a California car. Murray's car, and the other as well, look like they have the "S" from the late '80s era of Porsche badging, like this one from the 944 S2:
Click to view attachment

Regarding Yenko, the Yenko family did not open a P+A dealership till calendar year 1974, more than 18 months after the first sales of the 2L fours. I think it would be a big stretch to try to bring any Yenko tie in to the "S" story.
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 16 2012, 03:47 PM) *

balljoint
Click to view attachment

Have we seen this one before?

balljoint
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 17 2012, 12:36 PM) *

mellow.gif

IPB Image

Tom,

Have you ever seen what Michael has done to my threads? biggrin.gif

I feel your pain, but I'm pretty sure it's all in fun.
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 17 2012, 09:48 AM) *

Your welcome.

And no, I still stand by my theory that the entire "S" thing is the result of a heavy German accent and he was actually saying 'Ass.'

Not S.

Ass.

Who's heavy German accent??? confused24.gif huh.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 17 2012, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 16 2012, 03:56 PM) *

Commonwealth
v.
Don Yenko Porsche-Audi

No. 81.

June 30, 1980.

ORDER

Scotty, this means they vacated Yenko's suspension regarding State inspections, and doesn't really have anything to do with them being forced to sell the P+A dealership. It sounds like Yenko was the typical dealership though - more interested in selling cars & services, than in those pesky details, since they don't deny negligent record keeping, just the State's fraud accusation which brought about the more serious suspension penalty! biggrin.gif

Tom, my posting that had absolutely nothing to do with the lawsuit within. It was merely to verify that Yenko did in fact still own a Porsche dealership in 1980. We now have proof he had a lot from at least '74-'80
balljoint
That Yenko dealership is in operation to this day. I wonder if they would even still have any information about packages that they offered on cars?

laugh.gif Especially since they seemed to not care too much for retaining their records.

I can't say that I have ever seen a picture of a 914 with Yenko striping with their name but since they were synonymous with Chevrolet it may be something they deliberately avoided.

I am sure I have seen the Yenko name come up before in relation to 914s though. That's what rang such a bell for me when it was brought up in this thread. One of those did you ever have the feeling of deja-vous before did you ever have the feeling of dejas-vous before things. blink.gif

I am curious about other Porsche Dealerships in the same geographic region at the time as well. A prestigious name like Don Yenko opening a Porsche dealer may have stepped on the toes of other Porsche Audi dealers. Or it is possible that they took over for a defunct dealership?!? Possibly with some older unmoved inventory that might have benefited from the boost of a special package.

I liked that Stinger Honda package, I am sure there is something out there related to their Porsche product. Perhaps there were even Yenko 911s.

Now that I think about it, they may have been more secretive about it, especially if Porsche was carefully trouncing impure North American marketing ideas.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 17 2012, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 17 2012, 09:31 AM) *

Tom, Murray's 914 was a California car. Murray's car, and the other as well, look like they have the "S" from the late '80s era of Porsche badging, like this one from the 944 S2:
Click to view attachment

Regarding Yenko, the Yenko family did not open a P+A dealership till calendar year 1974, more than 18 months after the first sales of the 2L fours. I think it would be a big stretch to try to bring any Yenko tie in to the "S" story.
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 16 2012, 03:47 PM) *

Dave, I see what you mean on those "S" badges on Murray's & the red one.

Yenko could've done his version after Porsche Germany had quashed the USA P+A's "914 S" marketing campaign, because....well, just because he could & was just cantankerous enough to do so! biggrin.gif

But the P+A "914 S" marketing thing, are separate from this new subject of what Yenko did & whether or not he called or badged his version as "914-S" at all.

From Eric's post quoting what Yenko had said, they're making sure the 914-2.0 had all the Porsche handling bits on them, so that could mean it's a late 73-74+ era 914, when Porsche+Audi/Porsche AG made the sway bars & Fuchs & everything back to extra cost options.

The main "advantage" of the early 73 MY 914-2.0's marketed as "914 S" here in the USA only (maybe Canada too?) - is not that it's a "914 S" per se, but rather that you got a 914-2.0 fully loaded with all the options available from the Appearance & Performance Groups of options (only special order/add-on stuff like radios/speakers/antenna, AC, LSD, etc. weren't on that list) - all for the initial Aug./Fall `72 base price of $5199 East Coast POE & $5299 West Coast.

Late in 1973 MY after several mid-MY price hikes due to the escalating DM vs. the $ prompted them to offer de-contented 914-2.0's with lesser or no optional equipment, in order to keep the base price down. This was the norm for the rest of the 914 run 74-76 MYs. You can see the range of option group fitment for `73 at Jeff Bowlsby's 914 website, under the "Models" & at the "Window Stickers" pages.

IIRC they'd risen almost 150% to about $7500 EC-POE by March `73! blink.gif

For those who don't know, that purdy Orange 914 in Dave K's avatar is a confirmed late 73 2.0 which had been de-optioned & offered with only the F&R sway bars & Fuchs 2L wheels of the Performance Group, & IIRC Dave said it was marketed by the dealer as a "914-2.0 Sport" model.

Chime in if I've got any of this wrong about your 914 Dave K.

So back then & nowadays you can basically save yourself some time & trouble if you're looking for a GA 2.0 engined 914 which has all of the AG & PG goodies, by looking at 73 MY - & specifically the earlier 1/2 - 3/4 of that MY, cuz they were all fully loaded back then.

Whereas the later 73 MY - 74 MY GA & the 75-76 MY GC engined 914-2.0's were hit & miss as to what options the car came with, which probably only matters to CWs & original car collectors - since anyone can modify the engine & options on any 914 ..... even the badges! biggrin.gif
turk22
My 73 2.0 was a June 73 build (from the VIN sticker 6/73).

It has everything that is listed on the previous pages 914S stuff that Tom posted.

Center Console w/gauges
5 Fuchs alloys
fog lights
Chrome bumpers
dual tone horns
it has the Front and Rear swaybars..... It also has the "914 2.0" badge in the back.

What I don't have is the original window sticker...man would I love to have that...
914Eric

What I was saying with my reference to the Yenko legend was that there are a long list of dealers that have made modifications and add-ons to cars over the decades. Many like the Yenko's have proven to be the most desirable cars in some cases. To be honest, I didn't even know Yenko had a Porsche dealership. Am I implying that my car is somehow Yenko special...No.

My dealer, Greene in Norwalk, added the aluminum kick plates, Porsche lettering on the rocker panels, and the most controversial of them all…An additional Porsche badge on the rear.

On inspection of the additional Porsche badge, you see that it is made identically to both the 914, and 2.0 badges. Same exact pins in the back, as well as the same exact mounting hardware and special washers. They are not some peel-n-stick junk that some salesman on a whim decided to slap on.

So if I choose to remove the badge, I would need to fill and sand the holes, and then re-spray perfectly Fine original paint on the back of the car. That seems stupid to me.

That is why I brought up Yenko. I’m pretty sure people wouldn’t remove Yenko engine parts or graphics that weren’t “Factory” and then re-paint the car. So my opinion is that what came from the Dealer is what's original. Others might think that I should remove this piece and repaint the car. I think repainting an original paint car is far worse than the added badge. And I think the badge looks cool. driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(turk22 @ Dec 17 2012, 11:24 AM) *

My 73 2.0 was a June 73 build (from the VIN sticker 6/73).

It has everything that is listed on the previous pages 914S stuff that Tom posted.

Center Console w/gauges
5 Fuchs alloys
fog lights
Chrome bumpers
dual tone horns
it has the Front and Rear swaybars..... It also has the "914 2.0" badge in the back.

What I don't have is the original window sticker...man would I love to have that...

Steve, though it's not "your" window sticker, I thik there is one from a 914-2.0 close to your build.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/WindowStickers.htm

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm
> the Model Number should appear on the window sticker &/or at the dealer sales invoice, and denoted equipment option groups, if included from the factory.

You could also contact Steve G/smg914 with the gorgeous 73 914-2.0 which was also a June 73 build, as he has all of his documentation (his is featured at the O&H Forum under the nailed thread: "The Few, The Rare...").

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=101921

santa_smiley.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(914Eric @ Dec 17 2012, 12:15 PM) *

What I was saying with my reference to the Yenko legend was that there are a long list of dealers that have made modifications and add-ons to cars over the decades. Many like the Yenko's have proven to be the most desirable cars in some cases. To be honest, I didn't even know Yenko had a Porsche dealership. Am I implying that my car is somehow Yenko special...No.

My dealer, Greene in Norwalk, added the aluminum kick plates, Porsche lettering on the rocker panels, and the most controversial of them all…An additional Porsche badge on the rear.

On inspection of the additional Porsche badge, you see that it is made identically to both the 914, and 2.0 badges. Same exact pins in the back, as well as the same exact mounting hardware and special washers. They are not some peel-n-stick junk that some salesman on a whim decided to slap on.

So if I choose to remove the badge, I would need to fill and sand the holes, and then re-spray perfectly Fine original paint on the back of the car. That seems stupid to me.

That is why I brought up Yenko. I’m pretty sure people wouldn’t remove Yenko engine parts or graphics that weren’t “Factory” and then re-paint the car. So my opinion is that what came from the Dealer is what's original. Others might think that I should remove this piece and repaint the car. I think repainting an original paint car is far worse than the added badge. And I think the badge looks cool. driving.gif

Eric - you definitely should not do that, as it could make yours no longer qualify for preservation class (survivor class in some car shows), as that & something else now or in the future could go past the 10-25% limit on repaints & changes - especially if there is some other bodywork ever needed in the future. It's best to preserve the original paint, etc. - so long as they are in good condition, since at 40+/- years old the survivors like yours are few & far between!

BTW - that Bahia Red 71 914/4 of my buddy's with the turned aluminum aftermarket threshold plates like yours that I posted above, Steve's Sahara Beige & I think Dave K's Orange 73's are also all survivors in original paint.
nathansnathan
You can see in the "914" and "2.0" on the right that the x height (typographer's term for height of a lower case x in any particular typeface) of the "914" lines up with the x height of the "2.0". The "914" has a wonky low x height. The "914S" badges shown above really butcher it imnsho.
IPB Image

As a graphic designer, I cringe looking at that. The attention to detail just isn't there, so yeah I would totally say that it shouldn't be there, any of the "s"'s previously shown or the "PORSCHE" on the left in the pic above; they are just wrong to my eyes.
Eric_Shea
I don't think a 914S and a Yenko are the same thing. It was my understaing the Yenko's were 74's which would tie into the opening of his dealership. Maybe wanted to make a splash?? confused24.gif

I vaguely remember a tub someone was putting together here and he said it was a Yenko?? LONG time ago though. No time to search it now. Must ship alloy calipers. biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
Nobody was saying that the "S" had anything to do with Yenko, or vise-versa. It was just used as an example of cars that had dealer-added parts being more desirable than the cars without.

--DD
Eric_Shea
See post 122
MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 17 2012, 01:24 PM) *

Your welcome.

Not S.

Ass.

mellow.gif

That was a joke, Tom.
MDG
QUOTE(balljoint @ Dec 17 2012, 01:18 PM) *

Tom,

Have you ever seen what Michael has done to my threads? biggrin.gif

I feel your pain, but I'm pretty sure it's all in fun.

dry.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 17 2012, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 17 2012, 01:24 PM) *

Your welcome.

Not S.

Ass.

mellow.gif

That was a joke, Tom.

Well then, he would've "Hess"! biggrin.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 17 2012, 06:32 PM) *

Well then, he would've "Hess"! biggrin.gif

idea.gif Yes, That could be it.

Oh - watch yourself with Dave. He has squinty little beady eyes.
scotty b
I think there is some confusion due in part to two things.

1: two different subjects in the same thread ( the S designation, and the Yenko possibility )

2: people not paying attention to when that transition was made

There was never any implication that a S was aYenko. Yenko was simply brought up in the S discussion in relation to the rarity of the Yenko cars. It has since snowballed from there given the car I had a pic of with the odd stripe, and the since confirmed, Yenko/Porsche dealership connections.

At this point A 914S is an 914S, and a Yenko 914 is a Yenko 914. Let's stop confusing the two, and get on with the seperate subjects beerchug.gif
balljoint
Michael and Thomas, if you two get me tossed back in the sandbox then I will not be happy about it. rolleyes.gif I'm gonna call the Yenko dealer from the Penguin phone tomorrow.

I will report back with my findings.
Tom_T
QUOTE(balljoint @ Dec 17 2012, 06:33 PM) *

Michael and Thomas, if you two get me tossed back in the sandbox then I will not be happy about it. rolleyes.gif I'm gonna call the Yenko dealer from the Penguin phone tomorrow.

I will report back with my findings.

I keep my Penguin on the Tellie, Dave! biggrin.gif

Let us know what you find out.

Whenever I get back to PGH again, I can try to swing by Yenko P+A, but IIRC we have some members living in/around PGH who could go by sooner.

Since this wasn't a FS listing for the car per se - but about the "914-S" question, IMHO it's perfectly fine to delve into other "914 rarities & oddities" on here, since the topic started Jawja seems to be okay with it.

Also, Steve/smg914 had started this listing of the rarest 914s over on 914club.com which has some interesting production number data.

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...254336&st=0

If we ever get a number on the "Yenko 914" it might be worthwhile to post that info there, as a non-factory "dealer special" - not too unlike the dealer 914-6/GT "dealer prep'd" cars using factory & some other aftermarket parts in some cases.

FYI - at one time I'd "guess-timated" the "early-`73 "914S"/914-2.0 production imported to the USA & marketed during the "914S" promotional period 8/72 - 3/73 at maybe something like 4,000+/-.

However, that was only a SWAG estimate based on a PCA generated chart with total `73 914 production for the 73MY x +/-8/12 of year x +/-60% to USA x +/-40% as 2.0's = 4,000+/- "914-S's" - & therefore it's nothing official, but a best guess when Murray & some had asked a couple of years ago.

santa_smiley.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 18 2012, 08:52 AM) *

FYI - at one time I'd "guess-timated" the "early-`73 "914S"/914-2.0 production imported to the USA & marketed during the "914S" promotional period 8/72 - 3/73 at maybe something like 4,000+/-.

However, that was only a SWAG estimate based on a PCA generated chart with total `73 914 production for the 73MY x +/-8/12 of year x +/-60% to USA x +/-40% as 2.0's = 4,000+/- "914-S's" - & therefore it's nothing official, but a best guess when Murray & some had asked a couple of years ago.

Tom, if you go with the number posted by bigporsche.com (17,991), you can eliminate one of your geusstimates. Using your formula, that would bring the total to 4822.
The fully optioned 2-liters have models designations 473644 and 473664. You would think there would be a way to get the full year production numbers of those two model numbers.
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 18 2012, 11:52 AM) *

I keep my Penguin on the Tellie.

What's it doing there?
gandalf_025
I think the appropriate quote would be

"Oh, intercourse the penguin!"

Still funny..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTqC2T6q4E
Tom_T
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Dec 19 2012, 07:41 AM) *

I think the appropriate quote would be

"Oh, intercourse the penguin!"

Still funny..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTqC2T6q4E

You've jumped ahead in the bit Gandalf -

Chris was baiting us for the next line answering his/the bit's query:

"Standing!"

Now that's really bad that it comes to mind for me in such detail still today, but I spent 9 hours up & 19 back through a blizzard on a ski trip from SoCal to Tahoe in the late `80's, and our driver had the full set of Python TV show audio tapes, which we all played along with for those 28 mostly boring hours on the road! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.