Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 3.3L Subie Conversion Thread, Got me some 914rubber stuff
mgp4591
post Jan 29 2015, 01:14 PM
Post #401

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 30 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #402

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 29 2015, 11:23 AM) *

Stephen,

Interesting...I'm seriously thinking about flipping mine and welding up the hole I cut for the intake. How hard was it? I hate that hole too!

EDIT: and did you flip JUST the top portion of the intake or both sections (it has 2 pieces)?

I flipped the entire thing, you will have to move the alternator! It is pretty easy if you ditch a bunch of stuff, you will have to move the air solenoid.

Looking at it today, I am thinking about doing something a little different. Keeping the bottom half flipped, and moving the return line, and inlet to feed from both sides of the engine. Ever since reading what SDS did for an intake on a 3.3, I have been thinking about making one myself. They did it out of steel, but for some reason, I am thinking about doing lost foam carbon fiber intake. I have seen someone comment on flammability, but then you know the internet, it is full of clowns, who say their cousin's, father's, sister's husband's corvette go up in flames. The forgot he doused it in gas, and diesel fuel, with a touch of kerosene just to give it a nice look. I'll do my own research, I have three ideas right now.

Single TB, main plenum. easiest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
ITBs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Or my current favorite, but of course the hardest of all, Stacks looking like MEFI off a 911, going into an 911 style airbox. The filter will be behind the Single TB, which would be mounted behind the air snorkel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) or (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Oh and I did have to cut a hole in my rear trunk today, so the first cut is done. Glad I am past that!!!! I had to make clearance for the clutch line. Might elongate it a little and pickup the fork, that would allow me to bring the engine up a little. But then we will see.

I will try and weight the drive train, I can squat 550 pounds right now. Not sure I want to dead lift a subie engine and trans and step on a scale. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) In reality I am not sure I have a scale that will tell me. To bad I don't have a set of corner scales. I could give you the total and what the cross weights look like. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Oh I know how I'll do it. But it will have to weight until spring, I'll load the engine in the truck, run down the grain elevator, and hop on the scale, the unload it, and get the weight difference. +-10 pounds okay for you?

Bob, there really ain't to much to see right now, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) , except a bare chassis, and a lot of pieces going in, and back out a few hundred times to get things mocked up, welded in, and then removed for paint work. Really kind of boring when you get right down to it. But your more than welcome to stop by. Just PM me hopefully Im in town, crazy work schedule right now also.

I really need to update my thread, just been doing stuff, I'll get to it. Maybe by the time I update it, I will have covered all my mistakes and it will look perfect. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 30 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #403

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Great, thanks for the info. Where can I see this SDS intake you speak of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ?

One idea I had to add a little height was to use phenolic spacers in the intake. IIRC if there was just a LITTLE more height it would help with the fitment when flipping the intake. I have to pull the engine to fix a small leak at the oil pump so I might try it then. I'll keep you posted.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 31 2015, 08:47 AM
Post #404

Intake Manifold build for EG3.3
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 31 2015, 07:42 PM
Post #405

Wow...I definitely don't have the skills for something like that. Cool though. The two hole-d throttle body is definitely a pain. Not an insurmountable problem but a pain nonetheless. Would be easier to pipe if it was one like the EZ series. Rocky Mountain Westy makes an intake for the Vanagon but it's $400 and doesn't do much more for the 914 setup than stock. Unless you flip the intake or use something like I did (3000GT intake) you have to use the stock setup and do a lot more cutting of the firewall.

So Phase 2 for me is fixing the screw-ups/band-aid fixes-just-to-see-if-it-would-actually-run of Phase 1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 31 2015, 08:04 PM
Post #406

Okay I did a little experiment today with the flipped manifold. It will work, sort of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

You will need to raise the intake up 3.75 inches, if you leave the alternator in its stockfish position. And yes it still clears the engine lid with out a rain tray. Now for the but!!

I took the PVC vent piece off the TB, made it that much easier to fit stuff up. That thing is huge!!!!

Now if you use the stock snorkel, you run into an issue. It needs to move back 1.5 inches rearward. It would just clear the firewall, but you might like to add a dent just to give you a little extra space. And you will have to clearance the latch brake for the engine lid. But no more cutting in the rear trunk, except for the slave cylinder banjo fitting.

Heres the pictures!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 31 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #407

Here it is with out the snorkel, might still be able to make it work!
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jan 31 2015, 09:30 PM
Post #408

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Wouldn't it be easier to relocate the alternator? Need that A/C compressor? I think SmallCar or someone even sells a new bracket to do that. You might want to check, if nothing else than to see how they do it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.ytimg.com-2618-1422761896.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-2618-1422762111.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Feb 1 2015, 01:03 AM
Post #409

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 31 2015, 08:30 PM) *

Wouldn't it be easier to relocate the alternator? Need that A/C compressor? I think SmallCar or someone even sells a new bracket to do that. You might want to check, if nothing else than to see how they do it.

Now there's an idea- twin turbo your EG33!! What trans would you use that wouldn't blow up?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 1 2015, 01:12 AM
Post #410

Yeah I heard somewhere that a Mazda alternator works well for relocation. Think one of the guys here mentioned it. It sort of looks like the stock alternator is used though. Good call DB, we need to look at Subie EG33 conversions and modified applications. Those twin turboe'd cars are probably unbelievable!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 1 2015, 09:33 AM
Post #411

I have one with the flipped stock alternator if you don't want/need A/C.

Ditch cruise control also and you don't need to raise the manifolds at all. If you want cruise, then you will need 3/4" blocks. Might not be a bad idea anyway. Get some heat transfer out of the all aluminum heat mass.

Attached Image

With out blocks cruise control piece hits alternator, use smaller alternator, or.....

Attached Image

Much better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Sorry for the blurriness of the picture, I have Sir Andyitist! And I don't have a picture of that setup in the car. I did it and it does work with out a single cut.

Last night I started to think about where to get the air and where to put the filter. GT Engine lid, and mount the filter box in front of the engine in the recess in the fire wall. Could make it a huge panel filter. Big question is will it draw enough air. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Oh nice twin turbo SVXs, very nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) No No No, get the ideas out of my head!!!!!!

BTW, I think most of them go with a Subaru 4.44 autos, though the SVX autos are know to be pretty sought also. hmm I know where theres one of those right now, in PA in another 914 conversion donor pile! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 1 2015, 09:43 AM
Post #412

If you want A/C and alternator, why not just put the alternator over where the Power Steering pump was? Will require a bracket, might require a smaller alternator. But that should work also. If I had Photoshop skills, I would move it over for you.

Wish I had photo shops skills, my CAD skills are limited to Network wiring diagrams. So thy are of limited help right now also. I'm old school, tape measure, pen knife, and cardboard. Make a template, and build. Like this battery box, I liberated the idea off another build. Nice and low, passenger side, between the axles. And plenty of room there.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 1 2015, 10:14 AM
Post #413

I should have waited for you to do your conversion Stephen! So are you telling me I can just flip-flop the alternator into the space where the AC unit was??? I already took the AC out for now. The bracket has a tensioner on it too, so I can remove the heim joint. Not planning to run cruise so that can be removed and capped. AWESOME!!! Thanks very much for the info. Very excited. Now I just need to find a piece to cover up my hole in the firewall. Lots of cars getting cut up, I'm sure someone will have one.

BTW you might THINK you'd like cruise control but the car turns into an animal vs the SVX and it becomes a lot less desireable. It's too much fun to set the cruise control.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 1 2015, 10:18 AM
Post #414

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Here is a pretty cool custom intake for the EZ30:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread...9743&page=7

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 1 2015, 10:25 AM
Post #415

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

BTW, I think most of them go with a Subaru 4.44 autos, though the SVX autos are know to be pretty sought also. hmm I know where theres one of those right now, in PA in another 914 conversion donor pile!

my car was upgraded to a legacy auto. I would love someone to be able to use it. If not, it will go with the car to the crusher.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 1 2015, 10:30 AM
Post #416

Have you thought about posting it for sale on an SVX forum, with the caveat that they have to go get it/remove it? Might get $100 and someone would be happy.

AWESOME intake Ross.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 1 2015, 10:43 AM
Post #417

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Ahhhh, activity! It's been the Boredom Bowl since Winter set in. I miss all the builds. I wouldn't worry about making cuts. Once that Suby, SBC, etc is installed the car is a bastard anyway. Just save the pieces that are cut out so they can be welded back in place. No worries! Now we just need to shake Doug's cage a little. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 1 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #418

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 1 2015, 11:14 AM) *

I should have waited for you to do your conversion Stephen! So are you telling me I can just flip-flop the alternator into the space where the AC unit was??? I already took the AC out for now. The bracket has a tensioner on it too, so I can remove the heim joint. Not planning to run cruise so that can be removed and capped. AWESOME!!! Thanks very much for the info. Very excited. Now I just need to find a piece to cover up my hole in the firewall. Lots of cars getting cut up, I'm sure someone will have one.

BTW you might THINK you'd like cruise control but the car turns into an animal vs the SVX and it becomes a lot less desireable. It's too much fun to set the cruise control.

Okay, well you'll be done before me. Now, you will still need the helm joint, as the tensioner you speak of is for the AC, and its a back pulley. You would have seen it, when you bolted it all up.

I want cruise control to keep me in check on the long drives I am planning on doing in the car. I'll kick it off when I get into the twists (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 1 2015, 07:47 PM
Post #419

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 1 2015, 11:30 AM) *

Have you thought about posting it for sale on an SVX forum, with the caveat that they have to go get it/remove it? Might get $100 and someone would be happy.

Good thought but It's at my mechanics. I can't just send people over to work on the car.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 2 2015, 10:28 AM
Post #420

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 1 2015, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 1 2015, 11:30 AM) *

Good thought but It's at my mechanics. I can't just send people over to work on the car.

Tell them they pay you $400 for trans they can have everything else on the car they want, and they must pickup and dispose of it, within X time. Requirement being they tow it off your mechanics lot, and you sign the title over to them. No liability on you after the title transfer, and you solved your dispose issue with 4 uncle Ben's in your pocket. Heck I would give my mechanic some (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) for his troubles also. Some really nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post

45 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 07:56 AM