Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V « < 33 34 35 36 37 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 3.3L Subie Conversion Thread, Got me some 914rubber stuff
DBCooper
post Jul 8 2016, 10:31 PM
Post #681

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Sounds like fun and would get you into pretty fast company. When did Porsche sixes get to 300 hp, do you know?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 9 2016, 12:42 AM
Post #682

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Sounds fan tastic!!!!!

Congrats on the accomplishment!
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 9 2016, 01:00 AM
Post #683

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 8 2016, 10:22 PM) *

Aw, c'mon Chris... Looking at posts on the SVX says that the Z32 plus 370 injectors with an chipped ECU will give you over 300 hp. Wouldn't you like that??
On the other hand if I were you, I'd probably be satisfied (for awhile!) with your current upgrades and just wanna drive the damn thing!
And was your previous setup functioning so poorly that you weren't getting all of the engine to the ground? I never saw that in your posts so now you have me wondering... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Yeah we'll see. It's plenty fast for me really. The MAF sensor plug was not grounded and I had a bad crank angle sensor so the timing was way off before. Suddenly had a lot of backfiring and loss of power after I hooked up the VSS. Maybe a coincidence but the VSS does provide input that can affect the performance. That's why the power was way down. Initially it was good so the sensor must have gone bad gradually.

Mark, here is some info on the upgrade to Nissan MAF/Injectors/rechip

Subiechips Site

On the Subaru-SVX site the guy who makes these offers group buys (same guy). It's $13 off for every person who orders one, up to a certain number. They can be the standard rechip that just remaps the ECU or the modified one. So if we had say, 5 people buy one the price for each would go down $65 per.

Group Buy Info

That sounds like the site - I didn't save it either but the group buy info has me thinking hard on it! Using the Outfront headers that they build will help alot also... The idea for cams I'm not too hip on considering the cost involved vs. the performance gains. A turbo or two would be nice also but that's a huge step cost wise - the power out of those engines is pretty crazy, even without really going into the engine for upgrades and keeping that high compression setup. Over 400hp without going into internals for a stock block EG is pretty tempting.
Okay... I'll concentrate on my project and stop dreaming.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 9 2016, 05:50 AM
Post #684

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jul 9 2016, 12:31 AM) *

Sounds like fun. That would get you into pretty fast company. When did Porsche sixes get to 300 hp, do you know?

Later version of the 3.6.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 9 2016, 05:56 AM
Post #685

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 9 2016, 12:22 AM) *

Aw, c'mon Chris... Looking at posts on the SVX says that the Z32 plus 370 injectors with an chipped ECU will give you over 300 hp. Wouldn't you like that??
On the other hand if I were you, I'd probably be satisfied (for awhile!) with your current upgrades and just wanna drive the damn thing!
And was your previous setup functioning so poorly that you weren't getting all of the engine to the ground? I never saw that in your posts so now you have me wondering... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Yeah we'll see. It's plenty fast for me really. The MAF sensor plug was not grounded and I had a bad crank angle sensor so the timing was way off before. Suddenly had a lot of backfiring and loss of power after I hooked up the VSS. Maybe a coincidence but the VSS does provide input that can affect the performance. That's why the power was way down. Initially it was good so the sensor must have gone bad gradually.

Mark, here is some info on the upgrade to Nissan MAF/Injectors/rechip

Subiechips Site

On the Subaru-SVX site the guy who makes these offers group buys (same guy). It's $13 off for every person who orders one, up to a certain number. They can be the standard rechip that just remaps the ECU or the modified one. So if we had say, 5 people buy one the price for each would go down $65 per.

Group Buy Info

I see the site and the info. Thanks!
Version 1 will have a stock eg33 to get car running.
Version 2 - a 300 hp NA engine would be a fun ride. The suby trans and running gear is all being built to handle that kind of power.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 9 2016, 04:23 PM
Post #686

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

400HP on an EG is a pretty easy make to hit. They are a very stout engine. Run E85 and I see no reason to touch the internals to hit the 400HP mark. You have to add some positive pressure to get there though.

This is a Bugeye running internally stock EG33 with a turbo. Puts out 447HP on 7 PSI of boost.

Seems like a great idea to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 9 2016, 04:46 PM
Post #687

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thanks Andrew!

I finally found that sensor tee. Here's what I used for the oil pressure sensor:

Pressure sensor adapter

This isn't quite the cheapest one but it gives the best explanation. Most Japanese cars have 1/8 BSPT sender threads, while the more common one speed hut comes with is 1/8 NPT. This one allows you to use both. The Subaru sender is pretty big so it sits on top.

I used this for water temp.

water temp 1.25 pipe

Don't think I bought it from Taiwan but who knows... Just added a small section of hose and put it it right by the outlet. You could also tap the pipe itself on the engine, I just wasn't quite confident enough to do that with aluminum.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 11 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #688

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

where did U get those headers,.??? Thanks
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 11 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #689

Bob Bigkat_83, but I do believe they are from outfront motorsports items.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 11 2016, 06:57 PM
Post #690

I hope to be all over the Z32 plus injectors,with re-ground cams, if the cams are worth the trouble, the subie chips guy said he would only do the intake cams....But, I assume that you need to go duel Z32's and duel MAF's ??
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 11 2016, 07:16 PM
Post #691

I am so confused.

Z32 you only need one, as it is a MAF. Will require an ECU reprogram or PROM

Cams yes intake, you have two of them on the EG33

Header, they are short tube non equal length from outfront. I did calculate the proper length of header, and am still trying to figure out how to cram ~36" from port to collector into the back of a 914.

BTW, one way around the cams is forced induction. The EG is not a bad breathing engine, it is just not great.

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 11 2016, 09:09 PM
Post #692

Side note: last time I visited Bob (BIGKAT_83) he had a nice pair of EG33 cams. If he still has them he'd probably sell them reasonably. Always wise to have a second set reground so you have the originals in case there is a problem at the machine shop.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 11 2016, 10:17 PM
Post #693

914forme,...Ha ha,..well I didn't know the Z32 was a MAF,..I thought it was a throttle body,..and since the 3.3 had 2 intake's that it would take 2,So MAF is a airflow sensor,..?? the subiechips site talks about installing 2 ea,..IDK,SO ,.good ,.I only need one.....
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 12 2016, 10:52 AM
Post #694

EG33 uses one MAF.

You need one Z32 MAF, these are from Nissan Products, can be found as the day is long on eBay. It is a 300zx MAF.

You will need one ECUTune Stage 2 upgrade chip. NLA as far as I can tell. Or use SubieChips.com stuff.

You will need larger injectors 370cc is what it is setup for, they can also do others. Nissan skyline injectors stock units.

Unless you are turning the engine, you do not need twin MAFs just complicates the build, that would then be twin turbos, air cleaners, mucho bigger injectors and then rough transitions that can come from mucho bigger injectors.

Other way around is an aftermarket ECU, then you can do all sorts of crazy things, like staged injectors, etc...

It would take all the above mods, and then performance cams, and headers to get close to 280HP, maybe E85. After that your looking at forcing more air into the engine and E85, and aftermarket ECU, and intercoolers..... list goes on and on, don't forget oiling system modifications.

Did that make it clearer than mud?

Now back to Chris' thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) sorry Chris
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 12 2016, 11:27 AM
Post #695

Nah, I like this kind of discussion. Go for it. It's VERY HARD to tune a car with 2 MAFs. Leave that for the youngsters. 300 HP in a 914 will scare you pretty good. If you want more than that you need an LS1 or a turbo.

Yes I got my headers from Bob who got them from Outfront. They are very compact.

BTW I painted them up real nice.

Before:

Attached Image

Attached Image

After:

Attached Image

Attached Image

This ceramic paint is really good:

Attached Image

Stinks and smokes a little while it's curing for a couple minutes, then it's on there for good. Was pretty sure the wires were melting until I figured out where it was coming from. Then it stopped and no smell at all since.

FYI I think ECUTune and Subiechips might be the same thing.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 12 2016, 11:47 AM
Post #696

one thing of note about the out front header, the collectors are un-finished, meaning no flange provided.

Turbo EG33 is still cheaper than an LS swap, unless you dry sump it with an aftermarket kit. I have a spreadsheet, lol, to much time to think on my hands, as fingers are still down and out for the count.

And I see it is listed as Miami Fl, so could be the same guy
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 12 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #697

No,..I would be happy with a EG33,..Stk but just built a little,..injectors, EZ32 and maybe cam's ,..are aftermarket ECU's for that engine crazy expensive,..??
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 12 2016, 08:23 PM
Post #698

Oh,..Chris,..I wanted to ask about the oil pan,is it stk,or cut down or a small car version,..?? Thanks...Frank
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 12 2016, 08:56 PM
Post #699

Stock. It's fine, no need for a cut down version. Although the smallcar one is very nice looking. The stock ECUs are expensive. About $150-$200 aftermarket. $400 OEM.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 13 2016, 01:10 AM
Post #700

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(flmont @ Jul 12 2016, 08:21 PM) *

No,..I would be happy with a EG33,..Stk but just built a little,..injectors, EZ32 and maybe cam's ,..are aftermarket ECU's for that engine crazy expensive,..??

That's cheap for a reworked ECU vs. an aftermarket like AEM or the others out there. Cams would be a pain in the butt - welding and regrinding just doesn't feel right to the metallurgist in me... The 4 cam setup and chamber design isn't too bad so throw a larger turbo on it to keep a cooler charge and have it come on later. Those headers keep your ground clearance up and would really work well to pipe up for a turbo. There's a lot of discussion on the SVX threads about proper tuning for a turbo, so investigate thoroughly.
I'm still jazzed about Chris' intake flip and how well everything fits! It sounds great and kicks him in the seat down the road - that's what it's all about!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

45 Pages V « < 33 34 35 36 37 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 10:30 AM