Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V « < 34 35 36 37 38 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 3.3L Subie Conversion Thread, Got me some 914rubber stuff
flmont
post Jul 13 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #701

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yea,..ahh No turbo stuff for me,..I cant do all the fab work that's needed,.But hell ya that would be fun,..I would have to learn how to drive a car with that much power,..Iam thinking z32,injectors,and what ever type of ECU needed to run all that,..and maybe cams,..as I say if its worth the trouble...I gotta get started first,..!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 13 2016, 07:42 PM
Post #702

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

When compared with a 4 banger, 6's are like Poontang. Any damned 6 you install will be a thrill whether it be a Porsche 2.0, a 3.6 Subaru or anything in between. Just remember that the worst piece you ever had was wonderful and it will be the same with a 6. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 15 2016, 06:40 PM
Post #703

and I remember my 1st,...So Iam with U on that,..!!!
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 16 2016, 12:22 AM
Post #704

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Another question Chris - with the intake flipped, do you get more induction sound in the cabin? That may not be a bad thing unless it's way too loud. Just a little extra whine and/or wooshing sound on acceleration may be better for getting your blood going!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 16 2016, 12:15 PM
Post #705

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Not really. Pretty much the same. It's very quiet at idle and then when you lean on it the exhaust is way louder than the intake. Neither is that loud compared to an air cooled engine. I can hear the fuel injectors clicking with my head in the engine bay. That's how quiet it is.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 17 2016, 02:18 AM
Post #706

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 16 2016, 12:15 PM) *

Not really. Pretty much the same. It's very quiet at idle and then when you lean on it the exhaust is way louder than the intake. Neither is that loud compared to an air cooled engine. I can hear the fuel injectors clicking with my head in the engine bay. That's how quiet it is.

Great! Now I just have to go over your thread to find all the parts I need to flip this sucka before I install mine... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 22 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #707

What is the best route for a aftermarket ECU harness set-up for a EG33,..??? or best vendor options,.??
+Quote Post
a914622
post Jul 22 2016, 10:52 PM
Post #708

Member No.: 12,048
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Congrats Chris!!! That video sounds great.

Can you mesure the top of the flipped manifold to the bottom of the deck lid. Just a rough idea. Thanks
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 22 2016, 11:22 PM
Post #709

Thanks! Sure I'll get that for you tomorrow. I owe Kent some pics too. Kent that coolant hose is not here yet! Monday at the latest.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 23 2016, 11:36 AM
Post #710

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(flmont @ Jul 23 2016, 12:19 AM) *

What is the best route for a aftermarket ECU harness set-up for a EG33,..??? or best vendor options,.??

So your asking for an opinion?

How much work do you want to do.

Nothing at all, SDS - it will be a custom harness, they will work with you, done lots of EG33 you just need to do a final tune

Outback is the same

You love doing it all - MegaSquirt

Start a new thread for your build. We need another EG33 build thread for entertainment.

The stock ecu is a very capable unit, look at Chris' build he is moving down the road with force. Need a little more the chips are a viable option.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 23 2016, 12:25 PM
Post #711

SDS is for me, whats the cost on that system.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 23 2016, 12:27 PM
Post #712

Oh i would do the chips,injection,and the Z32,
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 23 2016, 01:31 PM
Post #713

You can do that with the subiechips setup. Stock ECU, upgrade chip is about $300, then just buy 300zx injectors and MAF. I think you need the wiring connectors too. The guy on the subaru-svx forum will help you. Same guy who does the group buys is the subiechips guy.

The SDS is money but a great system. You can really tune the engine to exactly how you want it. Someday soon I'll go aftermarket. Tired of guessing if it's running right or not.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 23 2016, 05:25 PM
Post #714

Alright a few updates. I have the coolant drained again since my new 1.25 lines are coming Monday. Kent you must be pacing the floor. I'll make sure to get the package turned around quickly.

Here is a pic of where my lines come through the front trunk. I have them following the indentations in the floor underneath.

Attached Image

Someone was asking about fuel pump relocation in another thread...well...there is the fuel pump behind that black plate. Walbro pump fits in the stock location. BTW it is running much quieter now.

Here is the engine with the intake flipped.

Attached Image

The stock plastic intake piece is actually flipped as well because it would not fit the other way (battery). You can see it is slightly tipped up and higher on the right side because it is hitting the firewall on that side. The intake is very thick so I think I can shave a little off of it and get it to fit. I had to shorten it quite a bit. Luckily I have another one. If my Optima ever dies on me I will use the battery tray as a support for the stock air cleaner and put a small battery on the other side.

Here's an idea of how high the intake is in relation to the engine lid.

Attached Image

The intake itself clears easily, with about 3.5 to 4 inches of room. Here I used the MAF because its is the same height but easier to show measurement to the lid hinge.

Attached Image

Could put the rain tray back in I guess. The plastic snorkel piece is close to the lid but that is mainly because it is upside down so the IAC valve hose is on top. It would be behind the rain tray anyway.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 24 2016, 08:43 AM
Post #715

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Wow! That's a clean install, Chris. Where did you hide all of the wiring? Take your time on the hose. I'm waiting on a reverse lite switch that I destroyed yesterday. In the interim, I may connect it back to the old water lines to see if I destroyed the engine or repaired it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 24 2016, 01:01 PM
Post #716

Looking great Chris. The intake snorkel is ABS so you could put it and weld it to give you clearance.

Also why are you updating the coolant lines?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 24 2016, 07:40 PM
Post #717

Good to know thanks Steve. I'm just moving to 1.25" hoses from 3/4 and 7/8. Kent and I have been talking about it for a while and now that he just did some work to his engine it's a good time. Not having any cooling issues myself but I haven't done any long trips and also always wanted to do a square radiator laying flat like Ross's (rnellums). Then put a false bottom in and have a water tight smaller usable trunk area and keep the heat down up there.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 25 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #718

Make sure you test the intake abS idea, there should be a number of the plastic type on it somewhere. I would just take a piece of ABS and see if you can weld it over one of the tubes your not using. Worse case you can always redo it in fiberglass though.

Oh okay, interesting, I am planning on going strawmann and doing a nice rad ductwork on my project. With a board, figured waterproof bags under the floor, nice stuff above, we will see, it will be a small trunk for sure. Also thought about moving my fuel tank, lower and infront of the firewall. Building a fake floor above the swaybar where to old fuel tank was and putting it in there. Could open it up if I wanted to do some tubing and tie in, and make a larger from trunk.

All have their merits, all have their downsides. If I run E85 I will need to keep a semi large fuel tank to allow me a decent amount of distance between gas stations. Starting to wonder if the E85 thing should be done. Plan for it for now, if I boost my engine then I have no worries about what I have done. Guessing I need to draw up a few designs and play with the space. I still got time. Still welding in the rear trunk area. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Jul 25 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #719

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The engine installation looks great! I really like the flipped intake. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
a914622
post Jul 26 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #720

Member No.: 12,048
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Chris
Thanks that's perfect. I have had a brain storm on the flipped intake. Based on that pic I'm going forward with it. I will pm you pics when I'm done with the machining.

Jeff
+Quote Post

45 Pages V « < 34 35 36 37 38 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 10:19 AM