Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project Time! 71 garage build, Broke a Valve Spring...
dfelz
post Jan 27 2013, 06:47 PM
Post #81

beach bum

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,538
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Jan 27 2013, 08:40 AM) *

Before spending money on a new starter and/or solenoid, I'd suggest checking the wiring of the starting system, including the ignition switch and grounds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mike

Will definitely do that thanks

I want to take apart the starter motor too, just sounds fun and i love taking things apart. I'll clean the points, but i dont know what else i would do except have fun putting it back together.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 30 2013, 01:20 PM
Post #82

beach bum

Accomplished a few things last night on the car.

First thing i did was take off all the old cracking and crumbly insulation material on the backside of the relay board. Once it was all off i checked continuity of all the wires, all were good! Then i applied two coats of new liquid electrical tape, i hope it holds up well, i may add another coat just to make sure.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1359573620.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1359573620.2.jpg)

After that i took the heads off the engine to inspect the piston tops, cylinders and valves. Bent two push rod tubes in the process, there goes $20. The inside of the cylinders look really good, can still see the honing lines. The piston tops look ok, no dings or anything like that, but they are SOOO dirty, so much carbon build up. And same with the heads, the valves are just covered in carbon. I know why this engine didnt want to start easily, the engine was running extremely rich and probably wasnt tuned correctly.

I need everyones opinion, I would like to save and reuse them, so how and with what can i clean the heads and piston tops. I would like to not remove the cylinders because i couldnt source rings on either pelican or AA, and would need a ring compressor. so whats your take.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1359573620.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1359573620.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1359573621.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1293.photobucket.com-14538-1359573621.6.jpg)

Thanks
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Jan 30 2013, 02:46 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

the heads, i would take to local machine shop and have them hot tanked. to clean piston crowns, take a piece of heavy guage solder and flatten with a coulple hammer blows. use this soft scraper to scrape carbon off with a liberal amount of carb cleaner. finish it with a good scrub with a scotchbrite pad. the soldier is much softer tan the pistons and wont marr them.
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Jan 30 2013, 03:44 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 9,714

That thing was running RICH to get that much carbon deposited.. tank the heads, or soda blast them would be my recomendation..

Once its reassembled, id try to look into rejetting the carbs.. wideband AFR is your friend..
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 30 2013, 04:04 PM
Post #85

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Dave, I have a shitload of freshly plated push rod tubes here. Let me know how many you want (you can have a complete set of 8 if you want them) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 30 2013, 04:47 PM
Post #86

beach bum

I will have to look into purchasing an AFR! what does re-jetting entail, I have the rebuild kit for the carbs, will that do them justice?

Mark I will definitely take a few, Thanks! how much for a set of 8??

Also, i just calipered the cylinders and they are coming in at 96mm. Stock for a 1.7L is 90mm right?
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Jan 30 2013, 06:04 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 5,568
Region Association: None

96mm means you've got a "big bore" kit installed vs stock pistons.
Re-jetting is mostly a matter of pulling the emulsion tubes from the carb centers or idle jet holders from the sides, replacing the applicable jet and reassembling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 30 2013, 07:16 PM
Post #88

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492

hey david, if you wanna buy the soda your welcome to use my blasting cabinet. you could get all your blasting done in one day. carbs, pistons, cylinder heads. I can show you a couple of mods to do to those carbs also, before you put them back together....
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Jan 31 2013, 12:55 AM
Post #89

Care to share those mods? I'm getting ready to do an all out carb re-jetting this weekend...
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 31 2013, 01:55 AM
Post #90

QUOTE(dfelz @ Jan 30 2013, 02:47 PM) *
I will have to look into purchasing an AFR! what does re-jetting entail, I have the rebuild kit for the carbs, will that do them justice?

(1) Mark I will definitely take a few, Thanks! how much for a set of 8??

(2) Also, i just calipered the cy linders and they are coming in at 96mm. Stock for a 1.7L is 90mm right?
(1) Either come by the shop and pick 'em up, or $10. shipping (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(2) Check the stroke of the crank. If you have 96mm pistons and 66mm stroke, you have a 1911 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ... if 71mm stroke, you have a 2056 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Dasnowman
post Jan 31 2013, 02:12 AM
Post #91

You miss 100% of shots you don't take!

Member No.: 14,477
Region Association: Canada

I know it looks like it's running rich but on the one set of heads looks like oil might be getting by the rings as well?

Did you see the engine running or did you do a compression test on it before you pulled it?

Might want to have a look at the rings are seated and lined up properly while it's torn down at this point.
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 31 2013, 11:10 AM
Post #92

beach bum

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 30 2013, 11:55 PM) *

QUOTE(dfelz @ Jan 30 2013, 02:47 PM) *

(1) Mark I will definitely take a few, Thanks! how much for a set of 8??

(2) Also, i just calipered the cy linders and they are coming in at 96mm. Stock for a 1.7L is 90mm right?
(1) Either come by the shop and pick 'em up, or $10. shipping (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(2) Check the stroke of the crank. If you have 96mm pistons and 66mm stroke, you have a 1911 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ... if 71mm stroke, you have a 2056 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Will you be at the dawn patrol run this Saturday? I can get them then.

I will take measurements of the stroke to find out! Ill keep my fingers crossed for a 2056!
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 31 2013, 11:43 AM
Post #93

beach bum

QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Jan 31 2013, 12:12 AM) *

I know it looks like it's running rich but on the one set of heads looks like oil might be getting by the rings as well?

Did you see the engine running or did you do a compression test on it before you pulled it?

Might want to have a look at the rings are seated and lined up properly while it's torn down at this point.

That would actually make sense if one of the rings were broken, cause after I ran it the next day I noticed a puddle of oil on the ground. I'm gonna have to take the cylinders and pistons off to clean them anyways so I will inspect all the rings then.

Where is a good source for purchasing new rings?
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 31 2013, 04:44 PM
Post #94

QUOTE(dfelz @ Jan 31 2013, 09:10 AM) *
Probably not this w/e (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Maybe someone else from down this way can grab them from me on their way up there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Jan 31 2013, 04:54 PM
Post #95

Call AA performance. Theres a good chance your big bore kit was from them originally. They will sell you a set of hastings rings i bet. Theyre off the I-60, west of cpp a little ways, so it might be worth the drive to go pick them up.
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 31 2013, 04:55 PM
Post #96

beach bum

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 31 2013, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(dfelz @ Jan 31 2013, 09:10 AM) *
Probably not this w/e (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Maybe someone else from down this way can grab them from me on their way up there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If someone is right there in your area and is going that would be cool, but if not i can just grab them another time. I have a good amount of work to do prior to putting it all back together so we have time before i will need them.

Thanks
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Jan 31 2013, 05:06 PM
Post #97

beach bum

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 30 2013, 05:16 PM) *

hey david, if you wanna buy the soda your welcome to use my blasting cabinet. you could get all your blasting done in one day. carbs, pistons, cylinder heads. I can show you a couple of mods to do to those carbs also, before you put them back together....

Doug, definitely forgot to respond to you, my bad. Thanks for the offer but i dont really want to blast any piece that will see the inside of the engine. You can never git it ALL out, and the last thing i want is sand floating around and getting in my cam bearings (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) , that would be a bad situation.
I am gonna take the parts to the parts washer at school and see what i can do...
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 31 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #98

Soda (baking powder) won't hurt the internals, not like sand and glass bead would.

NEVER NEVER glass bead a case(or any other part that will see fuel or oil) unless you know absolutely for sure you have every opening sealed so tight, that a gnat's fart won't get in or out.
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Jan 31 2013, 10:49 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

Large hose clamps can be used for a ring compressor when reinstalling the pistons into the cylinders.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 31 2013, 11:14 PM
Post #100

... or one of these (oil filter removal tool)

Attached Image
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:23 PM