Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Martini 914 1974, restoration thread
raynekat
post Jan 14 2020, 11:27 PM
Post #361

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yea, definitely looking good there Mats.
You'll get all those oil leaks sorted, I'm sure of it.
Great looking car and concept for the car.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jan 16 2020, 07:55 AM
Post #362

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Thank you both. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jan 27 2020, 01:09 AM
Post #363

Attached Image

So I've been chasing oil leaks for a bit and itseems to be coming from this plug.

Attached Image

The offending member weeps a bit of oil after sitting for a few days, I'm suspecting that it leaks more when being heatcycled.

I'd prefer to not pull it and reseal it, has anyone had any luck with some sort of exterior sealant?
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Jan 27 2020, 04:51 AM
Post #364

Member No.: 20,960
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 27 2020, 03:09 AM) *

Attached Image

So I've been chasing oil leaks for a bit and itseems to be coming from this plug.

Attached Image

The offending member weeps a bit of oil after sitting for a few days, I'm suspecting that it leaks more when being heatcycled.

I'd prefer to not pull it and reseal it, has anyone had any luck with some sort of exterior sealant?

Seal all. You'll be suprised how well it works.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 27 2020, 05:52 AM
Post #365

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 27 2020, 02:09 AM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

That leaking plug appears to be steel. I think I see rust in the hex and lathe marks on the face. I can see the other two up at the oil filter area and by the one by the crank nose are aluminum.

Verify the leaking offender is steel with a magnet. These are NPT tapered pipe plugs. If steel, your are correct, it has probably loosened from heat cycling.

If steel you have 3 options:

1) Just tigten it. NPT pluts are an interference fit and tightening will stop the leak. Temporarily but probably for many years.

2) Pull the plug completely and use PTFE thread sealeant (liquid not tape) and reinstall.

3) Replace it with a properly installed aluminum plug.

If it's an aluminum NPT plug:

1) You'll have a very hard time getting it out without stripping the aluminum hex. Make sure you have a new tight fitting hex wrench before you even attempt this. Best bet is to gently heat the case (200F is plenty) and then cool the plug quickly by squirting water with a syringe right into the hex. Immediately try to loosen. This doens't work everytime. Sometimes the aluminum plugs have to be machined out but on the other hand if it is aluminum I'd be surprised that it is leaking in the 1st place.

2) If #1 fails, then you might go for the cover with JB Weld route but I absolutely hate this solution but in the past I've sucessfully used JBWeld to seal worse leaks in emergency situations.

3) If the hex strips, you're done. It will need to to be machined out. In your case #2 is likely the best solution unitl you need a rebuild or other case machine work.

Most importantly, don't mess with the blue aluminum plugs if they are not leaking. I prefer aluminum plugs. When they are installed properly, they don't leak and are basically a permanent fix when replacing galley plugs. DO NOT try to move or "re-seal" the blue aluminum plugs.

We just had a relevant thread discussion on aluminum vs. steel oil galley plugs.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=342995
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 27 2020, 08:04 AM
Post #366

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 27 2020, 06:52 AM) *

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 27 2020, 02:09 AM) *

Attached Image

That leaking plug appears to be steel. I think I see rust in the hex and lathe marks on the face. I can see the other two up at the oil filter area and by the one by the crank nose are aluminum.

Verify the leaking offender is steel with a magnet. These are NPT tapered pipe plugs. If steel, your are correct, it has probably loosened from heat cycling.

If steel you have 3 options:

1) Just tigten it. NPT pluts are an interference fit and tightening will stop the leak. Temporarily but probably for many years.

2) Pull the plug completely and use PTFE thread sealeant (liquid not tape) and reinstall.

3) Replace it with a properly installed aluminum plug.

If it's an aluminum NPT plug:

1) You'll have a very hard time getting it out without stripping the aluminum hex. Make sure you have a new tight fitting hex wrench before you even attempt this. Best bet is to gently heat the case (200F is plenty) and then cool the plug quickly by squirting water with a syringe right into the hex. Immediately try to loosen. This doens't work everytime. Sometimes the aluminum plugs have to be machined out but on the other hand if it is aluminum I'd be surprised that it is leaking in the 1st place.

2) If #1 fails, then you might go for the cover with JB Weld route but I absolutely hate this solution but in the past I've sucessfully used JBWeld to seal worse leaks in emergency situations.

3) If the hex strips, you're done. It will need to to be machined out. In your case #2 is likely the best solution unitl you need a rebuild or other case machine work.

Most importantly, don't mess with the blue aluminum plugs if they are not leaking. I prefer aluminum plugs. When they are installed properly, they don't leak and are basically a permanent fix when replacing galley plugs. DO NOT try to move or "re-seal" the blue aluminum plugs.

We just had a relevant thread discussion on aluminum vs. steel oil galley plugs.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=342995

Sorry wrong.

This plug is steel, but it's a factory plug there's no way it's NPT, it's a metric thread.
It's the machining hole for the oil pick-up. It won't leak running as it's suction from the oil pump, but it's likely leaking air into the pick-up circuit.

I've had it out before, worth a try at removing and reseal. If no joy clean and cover with JB, etc.
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jan 27 2020, 10:34 AM
Post #367

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

Wow, great car and great build! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Make sure to enjoy it to the max.

John
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 27 2020, 11:52 AM
Post #368

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) On that note though, the case will expand more than the steel when heated. The Aluminum based on alloy is over a 2:1 expansion rate of the steel plug counterpart. Depending on the amount of magnesium, we are approaching a 3:1.

Heat it nice with a heat gun 100 Celsius is fine, and go at it nice and slow. Aluminum threads can gall.

I would use a good pipe thread sealant PFTE like Superhawk mentions. Or if you have the means, find or cut a plug to match that galley threads.

If you bugger the threads, then you will need to chase them, or rethread the bung. Grease, and lots of cleaning are your friends here. I would even go as far as to back pack the passage to keep things from migrating back in to the engine. And count all the stuff I put in and out. Like a surgeon or AP mechanic would.

Or like everyone else has mentioned seal it with your favorite epoxy-ish sealant, that is the easy way out and understandable, unless you where doing a rebuild.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 27 2020, 06:29 PM
Post #369

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 27 2020, 09:04 AM) *

Sorry wrong.

This plug is steel, but it's a factory plug there's no way it's NPT, it's a metric thread.
It's the machining hole for the oil pick-up. It won't leak running as it's suction from the oil pump, but it's likely leaking air into the pick-up circuit.

I've had it out before, worth a try at removing and reseal. If no joy clean and cover with JB, etc.

You are correct. Not NPT. My fault for not looking closely and being to fast to comment early in the morning . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

It is straight cut thread and a very short thread at that. OEM design counts on this plug being threaded in deeply enough, and with enough torque to basically roll form a 1st thread from the steel plug into the aluminum case and on thread sealant after the fact.

The principle of a steel plug loosening over time and heat cycles is still relevant though. Honestly I had forgotten about that plug being straight cut and will have to look into addressing machining on my cases. Truly not a great design. In the case of the other lifter galley plug and the oil pressure relief valve they use a crush washer to ensure a good seal. Not sure why they didn't do the same here? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Maybe ultra tight clearances to the engine mount bracket?

Thank you for keeping me honest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jan 27 2020, 11:37 PM
Post #370

I will go for a thorough clean and some sort of exterior sealant first. The engine barely has 3500 miles on it since it was built.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Jan 28 2020, 03:37 AM
Post #371

Member No.: 17,338

Mine was staked. Not sure if it was staked at the factory.
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jan 28 2020, 06:58 AM
Post #372

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Devcon Titanium Putty for exterior repair...Peter Dawe recommended it to me for mag case cracks... expensive but top of the food chain...
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jan 28 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #373

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Attached Image

[/quote]

Sorry wrong.

[/quote]

Interesting, both my 2L GC & GA cases have a pressed in plugs for the suction port.
Both cases have been tapped and plugged for all the other gallery plugs.

Barefoot
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Mar 27 2020, 03:17 AM
Post #374

Attached Image

Pondering of wrapping the lower panels to get a more original and less fatbellied look...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Mar 27 2020, 04:29 AM
Post #375

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 27 2020, 03:17 AM) *

Attached Image

Pondering of wrapping the lower panels to get a more original and less fatbellied look...

Attached Image

Matts, I like both, but the rockercover black is looking good. No Martini of Porsche Script on there ?
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Mar 27 2020, 04:45 AM
Post #376

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Really love the refinement that your car represents. Very sano.

How about Martini dark blue
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Mar 27 2020, 04:47 AM
Post #377

Member No.: 17,338

The car's beautiful! What did you reseal the plug with?
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Mar 27 2020, 02:06 PM
Post #378

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The black down low looks great Mats.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 28 2020, 11:50 AM
Post #379

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Porsche script ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 28 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #380

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

The car looks spectacular in white trim on the bottom. Very clean look.
+Quote Post

22 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:27 PM