Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2013 Parade: Went over my Score Sheet, Some errors that I did not contest...
orthobiz
post May 8 2013, 10:36 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dang! Now I'm really confused!!!

Products are on their way to me now, will post some pics when I start. If I burn through the paint, I ain't goin' to the show!!!

Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post May 8 2013, 10:40 AM
Post #62

Regarding tod914's comment, the main difference between Paterek's suggestion and his: whether to use Blue Magic or Meguiar's scratch removal. I'll have both available!

Paul
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 8 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Paul, I guess it all comes down to the condition of your paint. Looks real nice in the pictures. Try them both and see what works better for you. The Mequires + PS21 will be less aggressive than what John suggested. Anxious to hear what your results are. Like I said, just passing along what worked for me.
James, I agree with you on the clay bars. I think used four of them to do my car. You can only kneed them so much before your running dirt particles over the surface. I was just amazed how smooth the paint becomes, after using them.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post May 8 2013, 04:19 PM
Post #64

My wheels are off to Paterek Brothers, Chatham NJ to get redone!

I will still have an original 39 year old Michelin ZX tire. If Paterek doesn't want it, anyone can have it if they pay shipping. It should never ever be driven, however!!! I will know in the next couple of days.

I have new Michelin XZX 165SR15 tires coming from Coker. The tires on it are over 9 years old and they don't match the spare so I am replacing them.

Paul
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post May 10 2013, 04:37 PM
Post #65

Tires have arrived! 5 Michelin XZX 165SR15.

I have the original 39 year old spare...for the concours weenies among us, I am thinking about safety so I was gonna mount all 5 tires and get rid of the original spare. Think I'll get points with judges even though the tires wouldn't all match? (Guess I'm obsessing a bit, eh?)

Paul

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-7438-1368225444.1.jpg)

Paul
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 11 2013, 06:31 PM
Post #66

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(orthobiz @ May 10 2013, 04:37 PM) *

Tires have arrived! 5 Michelin XZX 165SR15.

I have the original 39 year old spare...for the concours weenies among us, I am thinking about safety so I was gonna mount all 5 tires and get rid of the original spare. Think I'll get points with judges even though the tires wouldn't all match? (Guess I'm obsessing a bit, eh?)

Paul

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-7438-1368225444.1.jpg)

Paul

Paul,
Dump the original spare. Go with 5 period-correct tires that match. You bought five, so use five.
Pat
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post May 11 2013, 07:54 PM
Post #67

I'm with you, thanks Pat!

Paul
+Quote Post
rnellums
post May 13 2013, 10:02 AM
Post #68

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

For anyone ordering from detailer's domain, the code NEWBIE gets 15% off!
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post May 13 2013, 10:41 AM
Post #69

QUOTE(rnellums @ May 13 2013, 12:02 PM) *

For anyone ordering from detailer's domain, the code NEWBIE gets 15% off!

I love useful information! And if I write "NEWBIE" and go through the paint, maybe I can get 30 percent off on PRIMER!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 16 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #70

Paul,
We expect copious quantities of pics from the Parade.
Not going to be able tp make it - 90 year old mother-in-law needs to be moved. It's always something!
Good luck - you'll do well and, at the least, have an experience few others have had.
Pat
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 17 2013, 03:31 PM
Post #71

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110

Please Paul; no more pictures of Pat in shorty shorts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 17 2013, 06:18 PM
Post #72

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 17 2013, 03:31 PM) *

Please Paul; no more pictures of Pat in shorty shorts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

I had great legs in those days! Clay courts destroyed them. Look like road maps now. But, I'm still cute. Sorry for the hijack, just thought it necessary.
+Quote Post
turk22
post May 18 2013, 08:35 PM
Post #73

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725

I wanted to share this process I found for restoring oxidized single stage paint.

I don't think it applies to the prep you guys are doing, but I plan to try it for my very oxidized original paint. The detail provided in the attached process seems to be just what I need.
(This link is for autotraderclassic, but the process is originally from Auto Geek.)

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/car-arti...t+1-65310.xhtml

Turk
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post May 19 2013, 06:02 AM
Post #74

Thanks everybody. I'm having success with a dab of Blue Magic in the middle of a pool of P21S Paintwork Cleanser. I just know I won't have time for third and fourth applications of product!

I will eventually post lots of pics. My daytime job keeps getting in the way.

Paul
+Quote Post
rnellums
post May 20 2013, 07:23 AM
Post #75

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072

QUOTE(turk22 @ May 18 2013, 10:35 PM) *

I wanted to share this process I found for restoring oxidized single stage paint.

I don't think it applies to the prep you guys are doing, but I plan to try it for my very oxidized original paint. The detail provided in the attached process seems to be just what I need.
(This link is for autotraderclassic, but the process is originally from Auto Geek.)

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/car-arti...t+1-65310.xhtml

Turk

Great articles/articles!
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jun 7 2013, 03:59 PM
Post #76

Maybe a dumb question, but here goes:
I'm in the Preservation group but because my car has less than 1000 miles logged per year (25500 for a 39 year old car) I'm lumped into the group with the 356, 911 and 914.

So the rules talk about "chassis" which I know is the undersurface of the car. But what are the judges typically looking at, the wheel wells, the exhaust? I mean it's hard to get far under it, no?

Paul
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Jun 11 2013, 10:32 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 6,103

Ahhhhhhhh,

Reading this thread brings back all the memories, both good and bad regarding preparing a car for a Concours Event.

My first Zone One Concours I spent 3 months taking everything apart, cleaning and putting it back together again. I had dirty wheels and tires to drive to the event a day early) and then swapped them with a clean set. Of course once you get it that clean you don't want to drive it - at all! Subsequent shows I would spend up to 30 hours to detail little things.

I did very well and got tons of positive reinforcement from the judges and spectators. It really was worth the effort. I remember some judges would find dirt and wipe it on your score sheet. Some thought it was funny, others were humiliated, having slaved over their car for hours, only to have missed an obvious (to the judges) spot. I did have the satisfaction of having literally no dirt on anything, so my score sheet was clean. They had to find something right? A judge ran his finger along the fan belt and got some rubber residue! Everybody, including me got a good laugh out of it but, THAT CAR WAS CLEEEEEEAN, and they knew it.

The key is time. You must spend the time to prepare the car. And, if you drive it there, more time to clean up what you got dirty on the drive up. This is why I haven't competed in quite some time. I just don't want to devote 3 months of my life cleaning a car to the nth degree.

As far as what products to use, that's like asking someone what is the best oil to use. You will get a different answer from everyone. Experiment, and find what products you are comfortable with. And, just because it cost a lot, doesn't mean it's the best. The two products I use to prepare my paint didn't cost more than $30. If I had a nickel for every time someone asked, "Who painted your car?" and I would reply "Porsche". "The paint is original?" "Yes".

So if you spend the time you will do well. Talk to the judges and get your score sheet back at the end of the event to correct what got points off for the next time. It works. And, most important, have fun. That is what this is all about right??

Dave
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jun 11 2013, 07:50 PM
Post #78

Hey Dave, thanks for all the good advice. Good to hear from you. You helped me when I bought my current car about 6 years ago (actually I begged you to sell me your car but you gave me lots of encouragement, nonetheless!). I used to see your car at the Zone 1 events in the mid 80's, you truly have a beautiful car.

My buddy Mike and I are cleaning up the car every night now. No matter what, I will have fun at the concours. Paterek will have my wheels shipped back to me this Friday, I am psyched!

Paul
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jun 14 2013, 05:54 AM
Post #79

If I promise now to add pics this weekend, maybe I'll get around to doing it!

Paul
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 14 2013, 06:03 PM
Post #80

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 11 2013, 07:50 PM) *

Hey Dave, thanks for all the good advice. Good to hear from you. You helped me when I bought my current car about 6 years ago (actually I begged you to sell me your car but you gave me lots of encouragement, nonetheless!). I used to see your car at the Zone 1 events in the mid 80's, you truly have a beautiful car.

My buddy Mike and I are cleaning up the car every night now. No matter what, I will have fun at the concours. Paterek will have my wheels shipped back to me this Friday, I am psyched!

Paul

You WILL win! I am so excited for you & wish I could be there. Planned it, until my wife's mother broke here hip.
YOU CAN DO IT! Sorry for yelling.
Pat
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 07:26 PM