Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 16 17 18  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> #770 (912E) Project thread *Tangerine Cooling System installed!)
Al Meredith
post Apr 23 2020, 03:36 PM
Post #341

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,061

I haven't been to this page in a long time . I have # 265 (silver / red int. I built the 2056 engine and love the combination . I'm running 44MM Webers with the stock (big FI ) filter and it runs fine at 2.5 PSI . Al
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Nov 9 2020, 04:33 PM
Post #342

Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Prepping to install the Tangerine Horizontal Cooling system, just waiting on the parts for the remote oil cooler. Am installing a remote cooler with thermostatically controlled fan. Will also use a high flow marine bilge pump to flow air through the heat box for heat.

Mock up of the fan and housing.

Attached Image

Fitting the pulley bracket and alternator. Couldn't use the stock alternator due to the cooling port and housing.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 9 2020, 06:21 PM
Post #343

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

I think you need a new broom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Seriously, I'm a fan of Tangerine, and that's a good looking setup. Please let us know how it works!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 9 2020, 07:55 PM
Post #344

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

WOW. Pretty cool. Is the black bracket on the alt a stock piece or a Chris's version?
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Nov 9 2020, 08:21 PM
Post #345

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 9 2020, 05:55 PM) *

WOW. Pretty cool. Is the black bracket on the alt a stock piece or a Chris's version?

It uses the stock upper and lower brackets.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Nov 10 2020, 10:32 AM
Post #346

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 9 2020, 04:21 PM) *

I think you need a new broom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Seriously, I'm a fan of Tangerine, and that's a good looking setup. Please let us know how it works!

Hoping it will all work out well. I've wanted to do this for a while, and this will really clean up the engine compartment and make it more unique. Just want to get it done, I started it in April. Want to get it wrapped up so I can get the car into storage before the bad winter weather starts, the car is in my driveway on jack stands. Id DEFINATELY gonna be sweet when done.

I also have the Tangerine Exhaust, and Cable Throttle, as well as the SS pushrod tubes, but have not done those yet, on the future 'when I feel up to it" list, as I may have to drop the motor. Time will tell.

I just had hip replacement in March, and Knee replacement in August/October so pushing the car around and on/off a trailer is not an option. Cant start it due to everything being disassembled.

And what's wrong with my broom? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Nov 12 2020, 06:24 PM
Post #347

Woohoo! Got the final parts today from Chris, and tomorrow will do the final fitting of the engine surround with the oil take off, remount the muffler and see where the best place for the oil cooler to mount. Hoping it will fit on the rear drivers side somewhere. Really dont want to put it in the wheel well, am thinking up against the engine surround on the high side.

I used the full rear stock engine tin, and some of the drivers side for strength and stability as Im hanging the oil cooler from the tin, and helps with the transition from side to rear.

Hopefully will not be raining.............
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Nov 14 2020, 10:17 AM
Post #348

Engine Surround almost finished, just finalizing the fitment of the oil cooler and figuring out the best way to suspend the exhaust. With the removal of the stock shroud, there is nothing to attach the drivers side bracket to.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Nov 27 2020, 02:49 PM
Post #349

Finished! Just came back from an hour drive, cyl head temps were in the 275-300 range, oil temps in the 180-190 range, is about 60 degrees out today.

This is definitely not for the faint of heart, and not exactly plug and play. Probably 40-50 hours of further fabrication for the engine surround tins, making adjustments for the fan mount, pulley mount, drilling holes for spark plugs, placing the vanes, then getting it to all fit and line up nevermind painting and powder coating, and figuring out how to connect the left side tin with the factory rear. But I am happy for how it turned out, and glad it is done. The car was on jack stands in the driveway since April, and I hated the idea of it sitting in the snow and rain all winter. Hoping to get a longer drive in, but 'honey DO' things must be done......

In addition to the Tangerine cooling system, I also installed one of those high torque starters. MAN that thing is money. I also had to buy a 914 specific alternator as the 912E unit wouldn't fit.

I had a bit of drama, as I miss labeled the 1-2 plug wires when I took them off back in April (was on pain meds for hip replacement.... I know excuses, excuses) So once everything was put together, the thing wouldnt start. Of course being that I took them off back in April, and thought the #'s were right, I put #1 where it actually is supposed to go, so now my timing mark on the new pulley is marked for the wrong position. No big deal, will fix soon. The car had a full tuneup and valve adjust recently, and the oil is new, but having the carbs off gave me an opportunity to look at the accel pump adjusters. Were all but impossible to see mounted, and I discovered that the hesitation I have had at applying light throttle at higher revs was due to my adjusting the darn things the WRONG way. While off the car, I readjusted the nuts equally to give fastest and max action, and am happy to report that there is now NO hesitation.

Now I just need to find a place to mount the new water proof 270 cfm bilge pump for the heat box. I blocked off the rear port on the box, and will connect the new one to the other port. I will put some sort of free flowing filter over the end, and then adapters to get it down to the right size. MTF.

The car ran fantastic, and flawlessly, though the horn stopped working

Here is the finished product. The cooler hangs below the engine surround, and is about the same level as the bottom of the heater box and taco can sump. I used my dremel and cut off some of the stock engine surround to make a smoother transition from the side to rear tin, and it worked out very well, with a perfect spot for the coil and the oil pressure/idiot light sensor to mount.

Attached Image

I was able to tuck the wiring and thermostat for the oil cooler fan under the electrical cover and all the wiring and connectors needed some adjustment for the new positioning, but it all works well.

Attached ImageAttached Image

Re pourposed the Mishimoto catch can, vents down to just below the rear bumper.

Attached Image

Oil Cooler location with Thermostatically controlled fan, and the adapter for the PLX oil temp sensor. As stated earlier, on the hour drive (drove it like I stole it after warmed up) Temps were about idea.

Attached Image

And for some perspective, here is what it looked like before I started this mess...... Hoping to get a nice long drive in tomorrow to work out some kinks, but overall, it looks like all is working well. We will see how heat soak effects things. The old setup would run 325-350 head temp at the hottest, and oil would get to 225 which is as high as I want to go, prefer to stay in the 180-200 range. If necessary, I can easily add the old cooler back in for some extra cooling.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Nov 29 2020, 07:21 AM
Post #350

Wrapping up a few chads, I finally installed a trickle charger and jumper cable lead. My install and battery make jumping the car a difficult proposition (near impossible) so I installed both a trickle charger lead, and a quick disconnect for jumper cables. I've neve needed a jump, but you never know.....

Nice 3 hour drive yesterday, some highway, some around town, some big hills and twisties, and drove it like it was meant to be driven. Temps are very good. Vey happy with the setup.

In a funny twist, though this is by no means a bracket racer and drag strip king, I've always been happy with the poke of the engine and power. However, last year, I bought a Mustang Bullitt Edition, and am used to 480HP..... Hmmmm, time to start a fresh big bore turbo engine? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

OK, I'm out, will try to check in on occasion.
+Quote Post
Jett
post Nov 29 2020, 11:32 AM
Post #351

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Bulldog9 @ Nov 29 2020, 05:21 AM) *

Wrapping up a few chads, I finally installed a trickle charger and jumper cable lead. My install and battery make jumping the car a difficult proposition (near impossible) so I installed both a trickle charger lead, and a quick disconnect for jumper cables. I've neve needed a jump, but you never know.....

Nice 3 hour drive yesterday, some highway, some around town, some big hills and twisties, and drove it like it was meant to be driven. Temps are very good. Vey happy with the setup.

In a funny twist, though this is by no means a bracket racer and drag strip king, I've always been happy with the poke of the engine and power. However, last year, I bought a Mustang Bullitt Edition, and am used to 480HP..... Hmmmm, time to start a fresh big bore turbo engine? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

OK, I'm out, will try to check in on occasion.

Loved the thread and car, well done! Hope your hip and knee feel better!

Btw. If you ever want to go on a cruise, we often door the WA “loop’... cheers
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Nov 29 2020, 12:07 PM
Post #352

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Thank you for sharing your cooling upgrade! These are very good numbers.

Very nice car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Dec 3 2020, 07:46 AM
Post #353

A Couple people asked about how the oil cooler was mounted.

I used the stock cooler and bracket from Tangerine's kit and mounted up to the engine surround tin on the drivers side. It sits basically under the coil area and to the outer edge of the car.

This shows the side view. Hangs lower than I would like, but the bottom of the scoop is level with the heater box that surrounds the exhaust and the taco can sump extender thing. As the gas tank and front suspension axle is a full 3" lower to the ground as is the floor, I think it will be OK, but will watch closely, and will not be taking my 912E off road or Baja Rallies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) . As I recommended to Chris, for the 912E I'd suggest a 1-2" shorter cooler for better insurance/clearance.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Dec 3 2020, 09:48 AM
Post #354

Member No.: 23,209

I love lurking this thread, the brown is absolutely fabulous! I've probably commented that before. A Sepia 912 longhood is my long term plan, and this is total inspiration.

+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Dec 8 2020, 07:54 PM
Post #355

QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Dec 3 2020, 07:48 AM) *

I love lurking this thread, the brown is absolutely fabulous! I've probably commented that before. A Sepia 912 longhood is my long term plan, and this is total inspiration.

Thanks, it has definitely been a labor of love and learning experience. Wouldn't have been possible without this forum. I can't believe it has been 10 years, and almost 5 since completion.

I FINALLY found a low pressure fuel check valve with proper seals. Manufacturer claims it opens with 1lb or pressure. Hoping that this will help solve the fuel draining back into the tank. If the car sits more than a day, I have to run the pump for a few minutes to refill the fuel bowls. Will report on that and the heater blower when complete.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Dec 9 2020, 07:56 AM
Post #356

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

My first visit here. Can't believe I missed this.
The first photos of the engine compartment showing the original Sepia paint made me
think 'what a shame'......re-sale red....typical.
What a beautiful transformation !
The contrast of first photo and last is fantastic, the craftsmanship and choices made
are outstanding.
Now to go through and enjoy the the whole process. Can't wait !
Great job.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Jan 25 2024, 06:45 PM
Post #357

Hey 914rs.........

#770 is still going strong. Has been all over the US with me, and currently in Kentucky.

Attached Image

I'd been searching for a 914 for a while, but came across a different' removeable roof car. Don't hate me......... It was a steal of a deal, and another rescue. Cosmetically perfect, it just needed mechanicals refreshed after sitting in a climate controlled garage for 10 years.

I retire from the Army this summer, and this new 944 S2 will keep me busy driving while I drop the motor from the 912E. do a some inspections for wear, and resealing of the case. I'll also finally install the stainless pushrod tubes.

Attached Image

The 912E motor runs fine, especially now that I have the right plugs in the motor. When I reported what I thought was carbon buildup in 1 CYL a couple years ago ended up being that I replaced them with ones with the "P" which indicates a longer electrode, and it slightly touched on CYL 3. Once I put in the right plugs, the issue was gone. 5K miles later, the car is still fantastic, especially with the Tangerine Cooling system. Pricey, but like all of Chris's stuff well worth it.

The Motor runs great, and other than the corroded pushrod tubes and leaks has been excellent. I will take measurements of everything and inspect the bearings, cam, etc, and replace as necessary. Unlikely due to the Dellorto 36 carbs, but I may bump to larger pistons and cyls.

I havent had the time (or space) and most importantly didn't want to drop the motor and have it off the road for an extended period just to fix my crappy case sealing job, so was waiting till retirement, and another 'fun' car to drive.

Jury is out on the 944, but it is growing on me.

Anyhow, I hope all are well, and I will probably be back once I start the engine teardown and inspection.
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:46 AM