Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can't shift up to 2nd or 4th gears while driving, 1st,3rd work fine
cbuehling
post Aug 30 2013, 11:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,703
Region Association: Northern California

I just ran into an issue today that when driving (at rpm) I can't get into any forward gear on the shift pattern, at least 2nd and 4th.

I can easily get into 1st, clutch, then get into 3rd but it won't go into 2nd from 1st at all, just makes a grinding noise. I can easily shift down from 3rd into 2nd. It feels like I don't get into 4th at all any more either, same with 5th but I didn't really try that.

When car is off (no rpm) it seems like I can easily shift between all gears. Reverse is no problem.

Is it possible at all I just need to adjust my shifter, following instructions in http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188120 or would it then not even work to shift when the car if off?

Or does this sound like a synchro issue in the transmission and I need to think about taking it apart or bringing it to a shop?

Thanks a lot.
Clemens
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Aug 31 2013, 12:08 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

Can you get into 5th? Reverse? I'm guessing adjustment!!

Start there anyway, it's nearly free!

QUOTE(cbuehling @ Aug 30 2013, 10:42 PM) *

I just ran into an issue today that when driving (at rpm) I can't get into any forward gear on the shift pattern, at least 2nd and 4th.

I can easily get into 1st, clutch, then get into 3rd but it won't go into 2nd from 1st at all, just makes a grinding noise. I can easily shift down from 3rd into 2nd. It feels like I don't get into 4th at all any more either, same with 5th but I didn't really try that.

When car is off (no rpm) it seems like I can easily shift between all gears. Reverse is no problem.

Is it possible at all I just need to adjust my shifter, following instructions in http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188120 or would it then not even work to shift when the car if off?

Or does this sound like a synchro issue in the transmission and I need to think about taking it apart or bringing it to a shop?

Thanks a lot.
Clemens

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 31 2013, 07:39 AM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Synchro/gear set problems will affect just one gear at a time. Since your problem is with all the gears that are forward in the pattern, you've got a linkage problem. Could be bad bushings, could be that it slipped out of adjustment. But it's pretty certainly a linkage problem.

--DD
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 31 2013, 08:14 AM
Post #4

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Linkage first
Clutch adjustment and clutch tube check

Gear lube topped up

Rich
+Quote Post
cbuehling
post Aug 31 2013, 08:32 AM
Post #5

Great, thanks a lot for the replies. I'll give this a try today.
+Quote Post
cbuehling
post Sep 1 2013, 12:10 AM
Post #6

I checked out the shift lever, doesn't seem anything is broken or misaligned there however while trying to fix that I am pretty sure it's the rear bushing that is worn or broken.

I ordered a set of bushings and will try to get underneath one of the next weekends.

Thanks for the help.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:17 PM