Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't shift up to 2nd or 4th gears while driving
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cbuehling
I just ran into an issue today that when driving (at rpm) I can't get into any forward gear on the shift pattern, at least 2nd and 4th.

I can easily get into 1st, clutch, then get into 3rd but it won't go into 2nd from 1st at all, just makes a grinding noise. I can easily shift down from 3rd into 2nd. It feels like I don't get into 4th at all any more either, same with 5th but I didn't really try that.

When car is off (no rpm) it seems like I can easily shift between all gears. Reverse is no problem.

Is it possible at all I just need to adjust my shifter, following instructions in http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188120 or would it then not even work to shift when the car if off?

Or does this sound like a synchro issue in the transmission and I need to think about taking it apart or bringing it to a shop?

Thanks a lot.
Clemens
mrholland2

Can you get into 5th? Reverse? I'm guessing adjustment!!

Start there anyway, it's nearly free!

QUOTE(cbuehling @ Aug 30 2013, 10:42 PM) *

I just ran into an issue today that when driving (at rpm) I can't get into any forward gear on the shift pattern, at least 2nd and 4th.

I can easily get into 1st, clutch, then get into 3rd but it won't go into 2nd from 1st at all, just makes a grinding noise. I can easily shift down from 3rd into 2nd. It feels like I don't get into 4th at all any more either, same with 5th but I didn't really try that.

When car is off (no rpm) it seems like I can easily shift between all gears. Reverse is no problem.

Is it possible at all I just need to adjust my shifter, following instructions in http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188120 or would it then not even work to shift when the car if off?

Or does this sound like a synchro issue in the transmission and I need to think about taking it apart or bringing it to a shop?

Thanks a lot.
Clemens

Dave_Darling
Synchro/gear set problems will affect just one gear at a time. Since your problem is with all the gears that are forward in the pattern, you've got a linkage problem. Could be bad bushings, could be that it slipped out of adjustment. But it's pretty certainly a linkage problem.

--DD
r_towle
Linkage first
Clutch adjustment and clutch tube check

Gear lube topped up

Rich
cbuehling
Great, thanks a lot for the replies. I'll give this a try today.
cbuehling
I checked out the shift lever, doesn't seem anything is broken or misaligned there however while trying to fix that I am pretty sure it's the rear bushing that is worn or broken.

I ordered a set of bushings and will try to get underneath one of the next weekends.

Thanks for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.