Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Christmas Intro (914club style), Introduce yourself
URY914
post Dec 24 2004, 07:17 AM
Post #41

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Paul Woodbury, URY914. People always ask me how I spell my last name, so I find myself saying U-R-Y as much as I say my name.

I've been a sports car guy since I was a kid. I'm 45 now. I remember going to see "Grand Prix" with my family when I was about 6 years old. Than my dad took me to see "LeMans" and in 1972 when I was 13 we went to the 12 Hours of Sebring. I was hooked for life. I use to play with Matchbox cars, than Hot Wheels, than slot cars, than 1/24 kits now the real thing.

My best friend in high school had a '72 914. It was a POS but it was fun. In 1979 I traded my '70 Bug, $1000 in cash and borrowed $1500 for my first and only 914. I drove it all through college and all over the Southeast. After college I parked it and bought a get to work truck and the teener sat. Than I one day in 1990 I saw a 914 on a trailer and I followed it to a PCA autocross. I started converting my car to a autox/DE machine that day. I was autocross State Champ, did countless DE's and I ran in PCA Club racing for a few years also. Now I'm on a mission to get it down to under 1,450 pounds and have about 175 HP on tap.

My wife of 12 years is Amy, originally from Akron Ohio. We have a 9 year old, Emily who I'm taking go-cart racing today. And we have two Pugs, Max and Olive. I'm a senior project manager for a general contractor. I am currently building a hospital OR and ER addition.

What I really want for Christmas is a 914 that I can drive on the street again.

Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jfort
post Dec 24 2004, 09:06 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have to tell the group how I got into Porsches. Although I was always a fan of foreign cars, my first car was a 73 Corvette, which I bought in 72 while at the Naval Academy. The discount was just too good to ignore. Anyway, I was on an on ramp in Maryland behind a 914. I decided to blow him away. I couldn’t. Then I saw the “6.” By the way, that car was owned by Bert Calland, also a midshipman from Ohio. He was a Seal Admiral and is now the military attaché at the CIA. So, later, in 1976, I sold the corvette and bought a six. My wife was pissed. The car seat and wife did not fit too well so I migrated into 911’s. But I always yearned for another six. I was Porsche-less for a year or two after a divorce. Couldn’t stand it. I started researching 914s again. Came across Jim Chamber’s six on eBay and bought it. Love it.
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Dec 24 2004, 10:08 AM
Post #43

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

Growing up in the rural areas outside of Kansas City Missouri I did not have opportunity to see many sports car growing up. An odd MG-B or Midget was about as exotic as it ever got. Mostly Mustangs, Camaros, etc. (first car was a '66 'Stang and was a blast).

Saw my first Porsche 911 as a child in the Disney film Condorman (rent it).
Received a 928 Hot Wheels car one year from an aunt or uncle for Christmas
Saw my first 914 when a freind of my father retired and they threw a part for him. I was sent to the garage to fetch some beers and there it was... damn!

Bought my first 914 at age 18. 1974 Orange & Tan 1.8 and drove it all over Washingtons state for about two years. Sold it when I moved back to the Midwest to be with family.

Flash forward a few years and I am married to Kristy with a couple dogs and a couple cats. After a string of inexpensive italian & japanese sports cars and American '50s cruisers I had the 10 year itch. Bought my current 914 at age 28 with idea of running it at auto-x and just using it as a fun second car without too much worry about perfection. Just a driver.

I had the opportunity to step up to a new Boxster in '02 which totally changed my plans for the 914. I decided to go for the every nut-n-bolt resto.

I own a graphic deisgn studio and I am an artist and I am fortunate enoigh to get to work for a lot of comic book and toy companies. I'm no millionare but I have been blessed with the right projects at the right time to see the 914 through to fruition over the past three and a half years.

Thanks to this board, a supportive wife, and great vendors like Jake Raby, Pelican, Camp 914, and countless others my 914 experience is better than I ever could have dreamed as a child when I saw my first Porsche.
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Dec 24 2004, 10:53 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 2,432

Dan Jauch - (yauk)

im 25, 26 on jan 2

bought my first porsche about a yr. and a half ago, 89 944. Raced that autox, got pretty good, traded for a 924s and a 914. I finished out this season with the 924 - got best of class for I2 PCA this year- and gave it to my g/f so she can autox next season. The 914 is in pieces getting "restored" for show and go next year.

I work as an environmental services/safety director. Some day hope to open some kind of car related business.....

I have fishys...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Dec 24 2004, 11:29 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 1,335

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy Kwannza etc...

My name is Erik Madsen I race a 914-6 in E production and hope to qualify for the SCCA Runoffs.

I work for a motorcycle manufacturer as a regional service rep. My lovely wife Trish is a teacher and we live in Southeastern Massachusetts near Cape Cod. We have a son, Dylan and he is three, but acts like he is twelve already. He is very good natured and works well in the garage when I am working on the racecar.

I have a racing background as a suspension engineer servicing World Superbike in Europe. Also as a data aquisition and suspension technician in IMSA in the 80's. I have worked in racing development and tuning my entire life. Some small regressions have been made. I served in Desert Storm in 91-92 during my career as a Flight Engineer in the US NAVY, of which I am very proud to have served my country. My father also served our country in WWII as a Tenth Mountain Division Ski Trooper.

I also work with Chicken Hawk Racing, the tire warmer company to engineer and sell tire warmer products.

My 914 is approching completion, with a few minor modifications to be carried out. Hope to make the MArch 18-19 race at VIR. We'll see. The car features some very interesting components, Hewland transmission, Ohlins suspension, 935 front suspension peices with coil overs and rear supension pick up points moved up 3 inches. I build the engines myself and have been doing them for many years.

I hope all who read this have a happy new year as well,

See you at the races!

Erik Madsen (Thorshammer, the God of thunder)
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Dec 24 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

Sorry for posting twice but I had something else to say.
Thanks to all that have introduced themselves this season. It isn't for me personally, this annual intro. It's for all of you. To me, the annual Christmas intro lets all know something personal about each other with a common interest in a 914.
Even if you have introduced yourself in the past years when at Rennlist or elsewhere, there are many who have just discovered the wealth of friendship of the 914 life here at 914Club. and the many various 914 interests so they have no idea who you might be beyond someone who might type a lot of posts all during the year and sign the post with a code like moniker instead of their name.

Remember. 914 is really about each of you, not any one person nor any particular site or who owns a business you may or may not support. It's about you, your family, your own interests as well as your 914 addictions.

I hope that someone will keep this annual 914 intro perpetual no matter which 914 cyberspace arena is popular at a future time. As all are aware, the popular places can and do change almost over night.

I am a Christian so I can say Merry Christmas without any political correct excuse.
Your beliefs may be different so whatever you believe, may all your 914 roads be the twisties you enjoy.

MikeCooley
+Quote Post
Carl
post Dec 24 2004, 01:07 PM
Post #47

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163
Region Association: Northern California

It isn't for me personally, this annual intro.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for starting this thread. It seemed to be the right time to do it again when your post appeared yesterday.

Merry Christmas.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 24 2004, 01:35 PM
Post #48

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Jeff Hines ,
six not four ,comes from when I bought my first 914-6 in 1978 I was 18 , my mom thought I should have bought the black LE 914-4 2.0. Since I had turbo corvairs since I was 16 , and always wanting a Porsche, I told her I wanted the Six not the Four. (same price in those days)
22year tool maker, left to machine/build 911 engines , 3 year vintage race effort . maint/fab/support of corvette/ferrari/porsche. meanwhile building my home hobby machine/fab shop. Many years later and many P cars. I still like my 914's Best.
Over the years I have done alot of other things Hobby wise but have always kept my porsches.
I saw this page a few years ago didnt have the time to keep up with it or my own projects.
Since I have made time and enjoy it very much.
Thanks to all the People who keep the 914 alive and well.
Happy Holidays,The Hines Family
Jeff , Suzie & Chris 10 ,Garrett 16
+Quote Post
azbill
post Dec 24 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 2,403
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bill Shaffer (Azbill) here - I am married to Camille an elementary school principal for over 20 years. We live with two airedales and min. schnauzer, the schnauzer rules everyone. Recently retired as chief appraiser from the State of Arizona Land Department. Now I have a real estate consulting firm serving school districts and municipalities.

This is my third P-car, the first 356 in the early ‘70's (nice car financial problems forced sale), second ‘71 914 1.7 (a rust bucket) in the late 70's. Always loved P-cars from the my teens. Now with retirement I have the chance to have a very nice 914. Thanks to this board for all the information I just finished the painting, replacing all the rubber seals, and etc, etc, etc. The next step is to complete the minor mechanicals. Then just drive it and enjoy.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all an Marry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Bill
+Quote Post
14Maschine
post Dec 24 2004, 02:17 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 3,137

Hi everyone! I guess now would be a good time to introduce myself. My name is Randy daRoza. I have been addicted to porsche for only a year now! I was corrupted by friends of mine. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) I live in Pleasanton CA. Im 20 years old. I attend DVC in Concord. I want to transfer to Berkeley to major in mechanical engineering. I work in a machine shop. I am obsessed with devices of our own creation. As we speak I am in the process of owning my own 914. Im looking foreword to seeing some of you at AX events! This site is such a valuable resource. I have been surfing around here for months. Learned lot and lots of info. I even found my car here! This community is priceless!
Thank you all and Merry Christmas! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 24 2004, 02:42 PM
Post #51

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Happy Merry Jolly Festivus (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
(Shuffeling to front of Rm)
My name is Rich and I also have the sickness. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
42yrs old and belive Im still 21 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) Though one look in the mirror brings reality crashing home.
Not sure how I came to this Fourm, prolly poking around on the net while at work, but like many have mentioned before am glad to have hooked up with a enjoyable, down to earth, if diverse group with a common love/hate of a quirky little sports car. Married with two grade school age spawn, Zach & Natasha. My intro to the teener was pure happenstance..See here
but as my compitition MC riding has become fewer and far between, more focus is aplied to the teener ...and thats Ok (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
Happy Holidays
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 24 2004, 04:08 PM
Post #52

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Great that this tradition continues…this is a great way to get to know each other. Its immensely cool to meet and greet other like-minded 914-O-Philes from around the globe...Europe, Australia, Brazil, Canada, The Netherlands...even Japan...what a cool little car...

Jeff Bowlsby, 46, married to Berdie since 1980, with 2 teenage kids Christopher and Sarah. Berdie has homeschooled our kids through high school, is an accomplished musician (organist), and teaches piano and organ. Christopher is headed to college next year and loves computers and astronomy. Sarah is into horses and thinks she wants to be a veterinarian.

Almost ashamed to confess that I am a certified 914 wacko… (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)...but hey, we have but one life to live and I don’t want to miss any of it. I have been into 914s for most of my adult life, my first I was a 73 Zambezi acquired in 1978 and I currently own two 1974 2.0L cars...a driver and one I just pamper…. I make replacement engine bay wiring harnesses available for the 914/4 cars to help keep these great cars roadworthy. I consider it a great privilege that many 914 owners on this forum are still in 914 driving mode because of my wires…

The 1974 914 Limited Edition cars are my thing as some of you may know and I have a website dedicated to making their heritage known. I am not ready to admit being a …cough…CW…but I do like these cars stock. Perfect and STOCK I said, not one deviation from when they rolled out from Osnabruek. It’s the nostalgia I guess, although I sincerely admire the deep creativity these cars allow and are displayed regularly on these pages…I just know I could not afford the magic you guys accomplish… I collect 914 advertising too…from around the world. I have well over 100 now and am in the process of updating my webpage with recent acquisitions and newly found information.

I also am a lifelong trombonist, and enjoy most types of music. I was a professional musician for awhile, but discovered that if I was paid to play, it wasn’t much fun, so I just play for the love of it now mostly. Mostly big band jazz and symphonic band, lately I have been getting more involved in brass chamber music, but this is probably not the right crowd for this discussion…

Oh, I am a forensic architect during the day and spend some of my time tearing into buildings that have failed in one way or other. The better part of what I do is peer reviews of other architects new building designs, regarding building envelope issues mostly, to help them build it right the first time.

Merry Christmas and have a Happy 914 New Year. Best wishes for 2005 chasing 914 twisty roads wherever they may be found…Lets all try to meet face to face at the WCC2005…Yay Howard!...or one of the other 914 Classic events worldwide in 2005…There is nothing much cooler than seeing over dozens of 914s in one place…you have to experience it for your self to know the excitement...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Dec 24 2004, 04:32 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 1,533

Mark Garriott. 36. The login name is from 'Fisher King' in which Robin Williams likes to go to Central Park for 'cloudbusting'. No pets (if you don't count gophers) and no S.O., so I'm pretty much free to discover that aluminum pans and muriatic acid are NOT a good combination.

I got the 914 bug 3 years ago when my co-worker was looking for a 'new' car that was as fun for commuting as a motorcycle. He finally got a 914. He let me drive it, and I hate him for it. He took me to PCA autocross last year, using his car, and I hated him even more.

I bought my first 914 last November. Yellow (which is faster, duh!) '75. Came with a 1.8 and a personalized license plate 'TNCRBEL'. The PO really did refer to the car by name "Yeah, Tinkerbell has been a good car for me." Somehow the 1.8 fell out and a 2.0 fell in.

I guess I've always been a tinkerer, although I wouldn't consider myself myself a dedicated wrench-monkey. My former employer has built himself 4 hot rods so far, and has now gotten the 356 bug. I'll have some contribution in resotring a 356 SC, and hopefully my 914 will see some time at his shop as well.
+Quote Post
LS6/914
post Dec 24 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #54

Never leaves the shop member

Member No.: 1,215
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hello, My name is Larry and cars are a passion. Married to the most beautiful Kenzie with two teenage daughters. Spent 26 years as a driveability tech split between Cadillac, Audi Porsche, & Mazda(rotary). Now have a small shop dedicated to Noble, Audi, P-cars, Lotus & Ultima CAN-AM. Currently also working for Talgo trains (think high speed trains in Europe & Amtrak). I enjoy the teener in all forms. My wife enjoys them with serious horsepower, bless her heart!
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Dec 24 2004, 06:25 PM
Post #55

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Mike, thanks for starting this thread here!

For those of you who don't know, Mike started this tradition a long time ago on RennList (I think it was still PorscheList, or maybe even earlier)

Give Red a x-mas hug from us and keep ducking for that Louisvill Slugger of hers (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Dec 24 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #56

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

Hi all,

My moniker is Twystd1

My name is Clayton Clark

And to all of you a very merry Christmas.

Lets discuss my favorite subject.... ME..!!!!!

I am becoming a 914 addict like most of you. This board has been an absolute joy for me.

I am bout fiddy years old. I work and play in Newport Beach, Kalifornia.

SWOF (single white old fart)

I hang out at coffee houses and spend most of my free time building cars, swapping parts, and pretending I know something.

This 914 bug has got me running circles trying to figure out what I want to create as an end result. X crosser?, IT?, SCCA?, or just a sick quick street car that is bound to the road with glue and imagination.

Bottom line... I love this forum and like almost everyone I have met. Finest kind of folks if I do say so myself.

Thanks to all of you for the knowledge that you all impart to the club.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year...

Twystd1

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
seagrave97007
post Dec 25 2004, 02:54 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 658

To Gustl B...a 1976 Seagrave is...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Dec 25 2004, 09:05 AM
Post #58

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

QUOTE (seagrave97007 @ Dec 25 2004, 09:54 AM)

many thanks for the photo (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)

well, not my first thought ... that's actually no tiny sportscar (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 25 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #59

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

PK here, 914 & Porsche junkie for over 25 years, and proud of it! I've got several parts cars, and a couple actual running Porsches, including one of those "new 914-6's".

The most competent of addicts find a way to support the habit, and keep others hooked. I sell parts and work on 914's. It's my 2nd business.

My main business is Q-Snap, a product that my Mom and I invented in '87, it's not related to cars at all. If your wife does any kind of needlecraft, she probably knows what a Q-Snap is.

Living alone in rural TN, and not having other 914 addicts around, I conspired with the late Alex Buller and his wife Barbara LaFargue to organize the first Mid-West Renegade Festival in 1995. This is where I finally got to meet other 914'ers face to face for the first time. Several of these people I had known for sometime over the phone, but not in person: Alex & Barbara, Rich & Diane Johnson, Dennis & Linda Carter, Jim & Laurie Blakewell, Brad Mayeur & Paula, Glenn Stazak, Andy Mc Farland, and a few others whose names I can't remember at the moment. As much fun as we all had, I coudn't have guessed that these new friends would come to have so much effect on my life. Two years later at the 3rd MW Renegade Festival I met Diane Johnson's cousin, Sindy, who (not knowing what she was getting into) accepted my marriage proposal almost six months to the day after we met.

We now have two great kids a boy; Samuel 5, and a girl; Morgan 3. Today being Christmas we've just enjoyed the fruits of Santa's delivery.

We live on a fair sized piece of ground in west TN (still), and I've got my two businesses on the same property, which is a blessing most of the time.

As I've said before in posts on this page; you meet the best people through these cars! Earlier this year we were in Seattle, and I met some of the great 914'ers up there.

Thanks for reviving this tradition Mike!

Keep on 914'n, you never know where the road will take you!
+Quote Post
skline
post Dec 25 2004, 10:00 AM
Post #60

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (Gustl B @ Dec 25 2004, 07:05 AM)
QUOTE (seagrave97007 @ Dec 25 2004, 09:54 AM)

many thanks for the photo (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)

well, not my first thought ... that's actually no tiny sportscar (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Its not a sports car but they are great in traffic, you can get from one place to another in a hurry.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 03:02 AM