Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HELP!! broke chopsticks in combustion chamber, anyone for chinese?
DJsRepS
post Jan 1 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,060

try the solvent test on another stick Zylene is strong and melt it out. Or drop the exaust and pipe yard blower into the bottom of it with the plug out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jan 1 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #22

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Be patient...

DO NOT TEAR DOWN THE ENGINE OVER THIS!!!

What are the chances that the stick fragment was small and already fell out through the exhaust valve. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)

Try this: get a small piece of flexible tubing. Stick that in the hole. Use the Shop Vac to suck air through the little tube.

I like the fly paper idea myself. Just don't let it get stuck in there, too. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 1 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #23

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Dude that sux. Don't start it. You'll bend the valves or punch a hole through a piston before the plastic melts. It still needs to pass through the valve seat in a millasecond with out getting pinched, melted or not. If you can't fish it out pull the head. It's gonna sux but it's better than trashing the whole thing.
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Jan 2 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #24

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

Get a metal coat hanger and make a custom set of tweezers, long and thin, then bend the tips at 45 degrees or so in order to grab the broken stick. If all else fails, I can't see how just starting it up and letting it be expelled naturally will do any great harm. Certainly not enough to justify tearing down the motor. Good Luck.
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Jan 2 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081
Region Association: None

Vacumm sounds best. Considering exactly what you are hoping to suck out of the port. The suction is only as good as the actual size of the hose. In other words, mask off the inlet to the port to fit that 3/8 hose you are using keeping outside air from entering. It should pop right on out.
Just my .02
Cooltimes
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Jan 2 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #26

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

1. rotate the piston. to close both valves then your vac will be much more effective. 2. bring it up to tdc to get it as close as you can then try to grab it with the flex grabber.

Bernie (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Jan 3 2005, 06:04 AM
Post #27

Its Plastic! Drop another one in a glass of Zylene. Time how long to disolve. Close the vlaves eg loosen the adjusters, Fill the cycl with the solvent. Then adj the exaust valve open to drain then flush with marvel oil and blow out. Man I drove mine home with a dropped then jammed valve, the noise quit when the bent valve stem got jammed into the guide. Head seat piston cylinder all fine with steel hitting the piston. Its only cheap plastic!! Just fire it up and blow it out. .....Try a drinking straw next time it would bend but not break.......Here is one suggestion it may not get the plastic chop stick out but it may help you see it. You could hit the piston with this light. The light is at SEARS. The strange clips you can get at your local yardsale thats where I found mine for a buck.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Jan 3 2005, 06:13 AM
Post #28

Both the light and the clip would reach deep through the plug hole to the piston Both would fit at the same time. I can let you borrow these or at least the clips as you can get the light at Sears.....OT.. these two tools together look deadly or at least painful!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
skline
post Jan 3 2005, 09:15 AM
Post #29

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I liked the idea of the torch down in the hole and melt it into a small glob. A propane torch wouldnt get hot enough to do any damage to the head or cylinder. Although, if it was me, I would pull the head and do it right.
+Quote Post
larryp
post Jan 3 2005, 09:50 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 675

I would definitely use the torch; if you did a chopstick on the workbench you would see there isn't even a glob left, it is just a smudge of black ash. That is what would be left in the cylinder.
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Jan 3 2005, 02:18 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 839

And that "smudge of black ash" on the pavement was your 914!!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 3 2005, 02:27 PM
Post #32

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I'd pull the head before I tried to melt it with heat or solvent.....
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jan 3 2005, 02:59 PM
Post #33

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Now you see the reason we use a plastic soda straw ........................................................... The Cap'n
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Jan 3 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #34

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153

Here is what I would do. I wouldn't start the engine, it might work but if it doesn't you could have a real mess on your hands. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
Pull off the header.
Rotate the engine so that the exhaust valve is wide open.
Get a good shop vac with two hoses.
Put one hose from the discharge side of the vacuum blowing into the exhaust port.
Put the other suction side of the shop vac to the spark plug hole.
Have someone under the car swirl the hose around in different directions to create turbulance in the cylinder.
What goes in the spark plug hole should come out. It may take awhile but well worth the effort.

and most of all....................don't do it again! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
sanman
post Jan 3 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #35

Leaving California

Member No.: 2,219

QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 3 2005, 12:27 PM)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jan 3 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #36

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE (sanman @ Jan 3 2005, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 3 2005, 12:27 PM)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

I concur. Trying to melt a plastic chopstick to oblivion in your combustion chamber is suicide to that chamber. A butane torch can reach in excess of 1000 degrees. Do not start that engine. If it lodges in the vlave, the valve could be blocked open and have a violent meeting with the top of the piston causing a bent valve, loosened valve seat, loosened valve guide, or a hole in the top of the piston, or even all of the above. I'm not sure what advice to give on how to retrieve the chopstick except to keep trying. Sounds like the real problem will be getting the end to line up with the hole.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
Carl
post Jan 3 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #37

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163

QUOTE (tracks914 @ Jan 3 2005, 01:43 PM)
Here is what I would do. I wouldn't start the engine, it might work but if it doesn't you could have a real mess on your hands. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
Pull off the header.
Put one hose from the discharge side of the vacuum blowing into the exhaust port.
Have someone under the car swirl the hose around in different directions to create turbulance in the cylinder.
What goes in the spark plug hole should come out. It may take awhile but well worth the effort.

and most of all....................don't do it again! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

I think Doug has the best idea so far. It could be improved by squirting compressed air in the spark plug hole. Also, using a part of a nylon stocking in the end of the vacuum hose to catch the little vagrant before it disappears into the shop vac.

If that doesn't work, pull the head. Torching the piece will melt it and, when it cools, it will be harder than before. This is bad news if it gets trapped between the valve and the seat.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 3 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #38

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Carl @ Jan 3 2005, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (tracks914 @ Jan 3 2005, 01:43 PM)
Pull off the header.

I think Doug has the best idea so far. It could be improved by squirting compressed air in the spark plug hole. Also, using a part of a nylon stocking in the end of the vacuum hose to catch the little vagrant before it disappears into the shop vac.

If that doesn't work, pull the head. Torching the piece will melt it and, when it cools, it will be harder than before. This is bad news if it gets trapped between the valve and the seat.

if you go the exhaust route method, I'd adjust the rocker arm screw on that piston so that the valve opens up as far as possible...just remember to re-adjust the valve adjustment screw back to .006" so that you don't bend the valve if successful and you turn the motor over
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Jan 3 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #39

Mahna Mahna!

Member No.: 847

Soooo...... Is it out yet (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Mike D.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jan 3 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #40

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I think he needs to look in the yellow pages for "Guys that Build Ships In a Bottle" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Keep trying the sticky stuff.

Ken
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 05:43 AM