Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gauging interest, Quad gauge, an fuel gauge in updated Tach
914forme
post Jan 31 2014, 09:54 PM
Post #1

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Okay, for my project I have been working on a concept to build a custom set of gauges to keep every thing in the dash. And I am thinking about building some kits so you can build a set yourself.

First off is a Tach with a fuel gauge at the bottom, in reality it could be anything with a 90 degree sweep. So Turbo boast ala 930, but my is getting a fuel gauge. It is setup to use the Sun Tach update and the mounts have been moved to make it work. It will look something like this when its done. The tach needle will be the proper length once done, I need some pin drills.

Attached Image

It was setup to use a VDO fuel gauge, but the stock unit will also work though the face would need to be redone.

The quad gauges I setup for Oil pressure and temp, water temp, and volts.

Attached Image

I need to clean up some of the line widths on this one call it an alfa as I used it to prototype with. Even though CAD said it would work, and it did, I liked hold a down and dirty physical version in my hands. Nothing like a laser printer and a few pieces of cardboard.

$ lights are for generator, oil pressure, brake, and a check engine for us OBDI or II groups.

This is the prototype with the gauges I had, the oil temp needle is from a different line in the VDO gauges, so its hight and needle are different.

In case you need to know, I did the original metal work nd plating for the triple gauge sets from way back when that Pelican sold. I did all the back and front machine work, laser cut. And the silver CAD plating on the rears. I don't know if I will make these together but if the interest is there, I'll do a run to help my project along.

So would people be interested in these, once I get the final setup done
I have no idea on pricing just yet, I still need to get costs on face printing, and finalizing the design, and the costs for all the machine work and metal. Of course I will show the progress I make once I get into metal prototypes, instructions, printing faces and all that stuff.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Jan 31 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,189
Region Association: Southern California

Awesome, getting back into gauges again huh. Its very well needed because no body but John is during any gauge options, unless you go to Hollywood but their expensive.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Jan 31 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nice! It's weird the sunpro tachs are non linear
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 31 2014, 10:34 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 31 2014, 11:24 PM) *

Nice! It's weird the sunpro tachs are non linear

Yes I had to scan the faces, drop them in CAD, expand them out, set the vectors. This one is setup for my engine combo, which red lines at 7800 RPM so thats why the 8000 RPM mark is off grey with its read in the design. But they can be setup with any red line wanted. Some of the VDOs are also non-linear, which made the process harder also. These us standard VDO steppers and it amazes me how little their design has changed over the years. Including the gauge connectors they came out in the early 70s with the round connector, and it has keep on till this day.

BTW, thanks for doing the Sunpro How to, the stock tach does not allow for the fitting of another gauge in its face. No room in the can.

Craig Yes I am, If I where to do the tri faces again, I would press the faces out. Im still trying to decide if Im going to do that for this gauge also, making look more stock. I don't think I want to for my set. We will see where it goes and if the winter drives me nuts. As even in my shop this super cold weather makes it hard for me to go out and work.
+Quote Post
IanJ
post Jan 31 2014, 10:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,327
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Very interested.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Jan 31 2014, 10:55 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Glad it was useful and stoked that you're taking this to the next level. I recently had more tach adapter plates made up, if you need any let me know. I'm curious about the printing aspect. Is it silk screening process?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 31 2014, 11:01 PM
Post #7

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

If you could think about the fonts and see if the could be made to match, it might draw more interest.
There certainly is a market for a quad gauge, but it would need to look period correct.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 1 2014, 11:02 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 1 2014, 12:01 AM) *

If you could think about the fonts and see if the could be made to match, it might draw more interest.
There certainly is a market for a quad gauge, but it would need to look period correct.

Okay if you can tell me the font, I will use that font. Its not a big deal, takes seconds to change it. I am not a calligrapher, so I have no idea. I tried the "914" Font, it is for the emblems draws the letters and numbers out. Does not look correct on a gauge.

For the prototype I did it in multiple fonts, and also line weights. To see what looked best to my eye. It will be my gauge after all. I am also a minimalist. So the extra face ( cover) what ever to make it look period correct is extra weight, more time for tooling etc..... It drives up cost etc...

Example: the original set was built for a $150 1993 dollar price point. We lost money on that run. In todays dollars thats $245. Advantage is today these can be produced at a higher quality and keep at the same price. Look at John's kit. It is a copy of our kit, and I have no problem with that. The idea has no patent on it, he made it better the world continues to go around.

As far as printing, I'll be using sign maker technology. You can lay these up now on a piece of printed vinyl and do what ever you want. Same technology used for car / truck wraps. Since they are under glass, they will last for my lifetime. I figure 25+ years with ease. Thats longer than the gauges will stay in my car. Since 1996 this car has had 5 different combination of gauges and dash styles. It lived its first 22 years with just one.

VDO is using a printed gauge faces on some of their products. The last set of vision gauges I got where printed and then places onto a plexiglass face. Thats why the oil temp gauge is higher. Make up for the thickness of the plex. The older cockpit style gauges use a piece of Aluminum about 24 ga. Easily press and formed. These faces are laid up, in silkscreen or printed on fashion. My plan is to use AL, and then lay a piece of vinyl over the face, and backs. Even the insides you can lay white vinyl in there to get a consistent reflective surface. It is easier than painting everything.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 1 2014, 07:04 PM
Post #9

Custom Member

No idea, but there are people around who do know....some other build gauges, not certain I recall the names, one of them had a gauge shop that did a run, then stopped all together.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 1 2014, 07:07 PM
Post #10

Custom Member

Look here

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94790
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 17 2014, 04:08 PM
Post #11

Okay so I messed with the fonts today, this is as close as I could come to the real things. Since I am redoing all my gauges, exact match well doesn't matter. But these are the proper look to them that they should work with a stock dash setup.

First up Tach and Fuel Combo Gauge.
Attached Image

Even added the little arrow to remind me the fuel filler is on the right side. LOL just incase I forget that in my old age.

And the Quad Gauge, these are still flat faced, still trying to decide if I want to add a overlay like the originals or not. Its extra tooling, printing, and just more fuss.
Attached Image

Files have been sent to a couple of printers to get cost and start the prototype process. Now to figure out if I am going to build the face backing out of polycarbonate or Aluminum. Right no thin poly is when the battle, but Aluminum will probably be my choice in the end. I can get that stuff laser cut, never worked with poly except as one off items.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Feb 17 2014, 04:11 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Send the rendering to white gauges.net. They will print off a vinyl decal for you
+Quote Post
quadracerx
post Feb 17 2014, 04:57 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,366
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Any thought to "White Face" Gauges? I'm a newbie when it comes to this...? Would they use the stock senders? I'm doing a V8 car so I'm assuming I would need something else for senders...?

Thanks,

Steve
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 17 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #14

This set I am using VDO gauges the cockpit series for the steppers. So yes they use VDO gauges senders.

I'll check out white gauges.net thanks.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Feb 17 2014, 08:55 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

They did this custom decal for me.
SirAndy's 6 tach
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 18 2014, 06:16 AM
Post #16

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Sorry about the highjack but have either of you taken apart a autometer monster tach?
I like the monster except it has crappy lighting and I was wondering if the was room on the unused side for anything?

I saw these faces below on the web so you must be abal to re-face them, but I couldn't find a pic of the guts.
http://www.buickgn.com/tachoverlays.htm

Also I'd be interested in the quad kit, would you do one for a /6?
Say head temp instead of water temp....

My monster is like this one
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.richardlagendijk.nl-26-1392725812.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Feb 18 2014, 06:29 AM
Post #17

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

The multi gauge is very nice! Think all the pointer buttons should be the same size?
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Feb 18 2014, 07:30 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

one little thing I noticed is that the most important gauge (oil pressure) in my eyes goes the wrong way....should be pointing upwards at full pressure.... and of course being a pesky metric european I'd want Bar instead of PSI.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Feb 18 2014, 07:42 AM
Post #19

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 17 2014, 05:08 PM) *

Attached Image

To me, that font looks a little thin. The font isn't as thick as the ticks, which makes my eyes double-focus to read them. Just a nit-pick, but those look like they'd be a real cool project.

Like this? (NOT looking to hijack, just a suggestion.)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 18 2014, 09:52 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Feb 18 2014, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 17 2014, 05:08 PM) *

Attached Image

To me, that font looks a little thin. The font isn't as thick as the ticks, which makes my eyes double-focus to read them. Just a nit-pick, but those look like they'd be a real cool project.

Like this? (NOT looking to hijack, just a suggestion.)

Not hijacking that looks way better, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Im not a designer, I am an engineer.

Okay Doug, what program did you use to do that?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 06:31 PM