Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mmmm...subtle flares. How and who?, pic attached, confounded machines smarter than i am
mittelmotor
post Feb 7 2014, 11:17 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,464
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 7 2014, 04:52 AM) *

I love the stock look and the GT flares. But for me, unless I was building a car that I was going to track and be aggressive with, they draw a bit to much attention to the car. I really like the Tangerine Racing flares as they are so subtle that unless you know these cars you may not realize the car is flared. If my car was not being built stock-bodied, then these are the flares I would have put on the car hands down:

http://tangerineracing.com/exterior_panels.htm

Good luck with your project.

I think Tangerine's solution is pretty cool too. Anyone have a shot of those flares on a painted, finished car?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maxwelj
post Feb 7 2014, 11:17 AM
Post #22

rebuilt member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,532

I always liked Dr Evil's flares before the car's demise. I couldnt find a finished pic of it, but here is an old thread with a few different treatments .
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...37&hl=flare

Good luck!
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 7 2014, 11:31 AM
Post #23

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Feb 7 2014, 09:17 AM) *

I think Tangerine's solution is pretty cool too. Anyone have a shot of those flares on a painted, finished car?

I have the Tangerine flares and love how they look. I am not a fan of the boxy GT flare look, and didn't want to go extreme like Sheridan fiberglass on this car. I like the idea of having the main tub be all metal and I do have fiberglass on the bumpers, lids and a skin roof to reduce weight up high.

Cosmetically the Tangerine flares look stock from a straight-on side view or slight angle, but have a nice bulge and stance from other angles. So they have a "sleeper" aspect to them.

My only grief/regret is the clearance does not allow for as much wheel/tire as I wanted. I'd hoped to get 275's in back but can only fit 245's (Hoosiers though, which run wider than most other tires.) I have 8's and 9's on the car.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-21-1391794297.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-21-1391794298.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm7.staticflickr.com-21-1391794298.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Feb 7 2014, 11:48 AM
Post #24

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

Mine might be too subtle for you as they only allow 8" wheels out back but it is a huge improvement over what you can get under a stock fender. It's sort of a more mellow version of the Tangerine fenders(which I love!). Like theirs, mine retains the factory lines and from the side, it looks totally stock.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
RazorbackFan78
post Feb 7 2014, 11:59 AM
Post #25

3 different layers of paint helps protect if from rust

Member No.: 15,709
Region Association: South East States

LOL I didn't intend for this to turn into GT vs Non-GT thread but hey I'm pretty easy-going (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
So anyways back on task...
Thanks for everyone's feedback and helping me chase down a few pictures and links. It seems safe for me to say the car originaly pictured had SC flares on the rear and probably fronts also. (I just followed a link to rennspd and their sc flares look identical).
Hooray for the internet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge24.gif)
+Quote Post
RazorbackFan78
post Feb 7 2014, 12:13 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 7 2014, 11:48 AM) *

Mine might be too subtle for you as they only allow 8" wheels out back but it is a huge improvement over what you can get under a stock fender. It's sort of a more mellow version of the Tangerine fenders(which I love!). Like theirs, mine retains the factory lines and from the side, it looks totally stock.

Michael, they're definitely more subtle than the SC flares but not too subtle for me. In fact, they look really good!!! I won't be throwing 8's under my car and I really doubt I'll get into AX. I just want to DRIVE the bejesus out of my car and enjoy the smiles on people's faces as they see it drive by. Did you do the work yourself?
+Quote Post
mittelmotor
post Feb 7 2014, 12:35 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 14,464

Thanks for posting the pics, Mike & Chris. Both your cars look amazing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
RazorbackFan78
post Feb 7 2014, 12:37 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Feb 7 2014, 12:35 PM) *

Thanks for posting the pics, Mike & Chris. Both your cars look amazing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Agreed! I especially like Chris's custom tail lights (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Feb 7 2014, 01:51 PM
Post #29

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ Feb 7 2014, 11:13 AM) *

Michael, they're definitely more subtle than the SC flares but not too subtle for me. In fact, they look really good!!! I won't be throwing 8's under my car and I really doubt I'll get into AX. I just want to DRIVE the bejesus out of my car and enjoy the smiles on people's faces as they see it drive by. Did you do the work yourself?

Thanks! No, I did not do the work...this would be worlds beyond any of my skills! These had to be cut and pulled to fit 8's. You can stretch them without cutting if you want to run 7's.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Feb 7 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #30

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ Feb 7 2014, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 7 2014, 09:56 AM) *

Ok, you guys with gt flares ain't gonna like this:

I have always thought the gt flares are just butt ugly. Ruins the body lines, which were perfect to begin with. I know they have a function on a race car, but I don't think they had looks in mind when they were designed.

Just my opinion.

Curt, What do you think about the subtle flares on the first pic I posted at the top of the thread? Do you think they're too distracting from the original lines of the car? When I came across that picture my first thought was "those are probably the most natural looking flares I've seen so far".

PS. How's the weather over there? Any progress on my car or is everything on hold until I can drive over for cleanup duty? Im keeping my fingers crossed that next Saturday's forecast stays in the 50's with no snow for miles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Matt, I do like the sc flares. I've seen a car with non sc 911 flares too and really like them too. I have some pics somewhere. I'll look.

Its cold here too. Suspose to be 39 tomorrow. woohoo! first time above freezing in 10 days. I've been doing some engine cleaning. I'll finish up that tomorrow and then start replacing seals. I have plenty to do on the car so the dirty engine bay is not holding me up. I ain't afraid of that dirt and grease anyway.

btw, don't preview the post when its a pic, just post
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Feb 7 2014, 02:33 PM
Post #31

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 7 2014, 11:48 AM) *

These look very similar to Richard Fischers(sp) v-8 car. very nice.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 09:15 AM