Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any interest in forming local 914World Chapters?, One Lesson Learned from European 914 clubs
SirAndy
post Jul 6 2014, 01:05 PM
Post #41

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 6 2014, 09:12 AM) *
If it ain't broke...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Some would argue that it is broken. As far as i can tell all of the usual 914world events have had a noticeable drop in attendance over the last few years.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ipadstott
post Jul 6 2014, 02:08 PM
Post #42

Ian Stott

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,192
Region Association: Canada

Just got back from the annual New Brunswick tour, Acadia region, attendance was down due to hurricane Arthur, but the tour was a success. All participants commented on " where are the 914's? " I feel we are accepted by the PCA crowd, but would love to be part of a teener group, New England is closest for me but I would attend some events. I would also organize a 914 event, and agree with the no formal title thing, I will just coo- ordinate an event.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jul 6 2014, 02:40 PM
Post #43

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

when reading all these posts, I get the impression that some guys think joining some local chapters/groups/clubs (or however you would call it) would leed to any changes on 914world

why ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

the one thing needs no influence to the other thing

I join an oldtimer club in my area that has no online forum ... and it works for more than 15 years; we all have email and phones to get connected when needed

on the other hand I frequently visit 914world - without any "club activity" behind

the one thing is a local group, where everyone knows each other in person

the other thing is an online forum, where I only know a hand full of guys in person

in my opinion, both things enrich my life in any way
there is no "this or that" decision, it's fine together ...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 6 2014, 02:52 PM
Post #44

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 6 2014, 12:05 PM) *
Some would argue that it is broken. As far as i can tell all of the usual 914world events have had a noticeable drop in attendance over the last few years.
I don't think it's broke ... it's just 'it is what it is'. People drift away as other interests or life-changing events happen. For me, home remodel projects have stolen a lot of my quality car time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Several years ago I predicted that escalating fuel prices were going to affect the turnout at a lot of events. A few folks said BS, but as it panned out, it seems to have rung true.

In the So Cal area, The OC guys hit the Cars and Coffees, the San Diego bunch have their Dawn Patrol drives and several guys to the north of me do the GMR drives, but they're posted in the Garage for all to see and anyone can attend if they so desire.

We've had folks from San Diego and Central CA show up for tech days and my lift BBQ near LAX. A lot of the same long distance folks show up at the G&R swap meet too, as well as some from NV and AZ ... some even further away. You never know who's gonna show up. If we regionalize (sp), some folks will never know something might be going on in a neighboring 'region' and miss out on a good event (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 6 2014, 03:27 PM
Post #45

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

there have also been quite a few long time members that sold their cars in the last year or two. Some have lost jobs and haven't been able to find steady employment, some with health issues. FWIW, I'm not at all against the idea, I just am not certain the low turnout has a lot to do with knowledge of the group. I think it has more to do with life situations.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jul 6 2014, 04:33 PM
Post #46

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

I think there are several contributing factors:

The economy: the economy in many areas of the country has not fully recovered since the big hit in 2008. With wage stagnation, underemployment, high fuel costs, and inflation a lot of people just don't have the spare cash to put in their cars...let alone attend large gatherings. The Triumph Roadster Factory (a Triumph sports car parts vendor) hosts a regular summer party and has for years. They considered cancelling it this year due to the low number of registrations. This may be the last year they hold the party

Aging members: This is a common problem affecting all cars from the 1970's and earlier. People are interested in the cars of their youth. So, the number of people under the age of 35-40 is small. This trend will not change. While we have some young people on the forum, there aren't many

Value: We all like to see the value of our cars rise. In reality, this can sometimes be a death sentence. As values increase the collectors move in (usually more affluent older people). This reduces the number of good cars on the market and takes them out of circulation. The remaining cars are expensive to fix....which means they either languish or get restored to collector quality (once again minimizing their availability).

Then again, I could be wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jacksun
post Jul 6 2014, 04:59 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 16,224
Region Association: Upper MidWest

the last post has some good points......

as to the "older' buyers ....... they are older so the cars will be back in

circulation sooner or later.............. later, hopefully, for me; not that

my 14 is a collector car.

one could say that they are the best custodians of the cars.

+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jul 6 2014, 06:10 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Take a look at the Northeast Get Together Forum Of the last 8 events, I've listed 4 and Ray listed 3 with 4400 views and 14 replies. There's your problem.

Not enough event listing and not enough interested people in listed events. If you've purchased a car to drive or show, then why aren't you doing it?

+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Jul 6 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 13,549

I like the idea of local/regional 914 clubs. This is something I've toyed with over the last couple of years. I live in Oakland which is in Northern California of course. I've owned a couple of 914's for about 3 years now. In that time I've only gotten to know a couple of other 914 owners which is disappointing. I thought I'd know 10-15 folks by now but it just never happens. I have attended the monthly informal 911 gatherings at EASY in Emeryville several times and that is a very cohesive group of friendly Porsche enthusiasts. From what I have read on here it seems that NorCal has one of the highest concentrations of 914's in the country yet it is a rarity if I see another 914 on the road and even more rare to actually meet their owners.

I'd be happy to join Jeff or anyone else to help get a casual club/group organized in our area. Just give me the word. I'm all in!
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Jul 6 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #50

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

Sure .....
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 6 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #51

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jul 6 2014, 09:36 PM) *

Sure .....

So eloquent and pointed.
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Jul 6 2014, 08:19 PM
Post #52

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124

I am on this stinking Nexus pad.

If I type out a response half the time it deletes before I post, or it posts it 16 times.

Glad to see you made it home safely
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Jul 6 2014, 08:26 PM
Post #53

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

The local PCA region has just under 200 members. At any given event (autocross, day drive, etc) there are only 15-20 cars. At less than a 10% participation rate, you can see it takes a very large membership base for a decent turnout at an event.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Jul 6 2014, 09:05 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 13,549

Perhaps, but I'd consider 10-15 cars to be nice turnout for a 914 gathering compared to anything I've seen.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Jul 6 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #55

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jul 6 2014, 11:05 PM) *
Perhaps, but I'd consider 10-15 cars to be nice turnout for a 914 gathering compared to anything I've seen.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) It just takes a very large base of 914 owners within a certain distance to reach that number. So many of these cars are on jack stands or the owners don't trust them enough to drive a distance or scheduling conflicts come up, etc.

+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jul 6 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #56

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

This is why my wife and I host our annual 914 BBQ (shameless plug CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO) This will be our 7th year doing it. In years past I organized a monthly 914 breakfast in Orland Square and was part of the Fall Foliage Classics.

While I hope we would have 100+ cars and people attend (need a big place for that) it is ok if only 1 person shows, but usually we have 15 - 20 cars and about 40 people throughout the day.

For years Glenn Stazak and I have talked about how we could get a real Porsche only swap meet going in the Chicago area like the old Tweeks or Doc & Cy's.

While I think local chapters are great, I really think all that is needed is for someone, anyone in your area to say hey..... Who is up for XXX on the XX day and then follow-up and do it. Hence our yearly 914 BBQ. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If someone wants to step up and be the official Chicago area chapter leader I am willing to help support them, but until then you can count on our yearly 914 BBQ. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jul 7 2014, 12:56 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 17,376

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jul 6 2014, 07:26 PM) *

The local PCA region has just under 200 members. At any given event (autocross, day drive, etc) there are only 15-20 cars. At less than a 10% participation rate, you can see it takes a very large membership base for a decent turnout at an event.

We have about 3,000 members in our local PCA. Today I went to a Padres vs Giants baseball game the local PCA sponsored... only about 15 attended. So, you may be right. Still, I'd be interested in any local 914 clubs or events.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 7 2014, 09:04 AM
Post #58

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I agree with all of the above. I think the way it is fine. Just advertise more events in the Garage in hopes of getting people more together. My car has been apart the last two years, so I haven't participated in any local driving events. I attend the three major So Cal events which is the biannual G&R and the Phoenix Club car show and swap meet. As soon as my car is running, I will start announcing when I will be at Irvine Cars & Coffee in hopes of other 914's showing up and maybe get breakfast afterwards.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Jul 7 2014, 09:08 AM
Post #59

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 6 2014, 12:05 PM) *

I would agree. 10 cars at an event really sucks. I know past WCC and Red Rocks events have had 30 cars. Those days appear to be gone for the moment. I know there are 914's in AZ but there are only 3 or 4 of us that make events on a regular basis. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

We tried a Yahoo group for AZ for a while but it went nowhere. I am pretty sure any regional group would result in 3 guys meeting each month. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 7 2014, 09:56 AM
Post #60

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jul 7 2014, 08:08 AM) *
We tried a Yahoo group for AZ for a while but it went nowhere. I am pretty sure any regional group would result in 3 guys meeting each month. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) But I also agree with Bowlsby.

One thing I feel like has contributed to the decline in attendance is a general increase in the level of restoration. There are so many nice cars that some people feel intimidated about bringing their 'crappy' 914 to an event. There are also more FULL restorations going on than people driving and maintaining their cars. Personally I would love to see more people in cars that run and drive, but aren't pristine at these events. I keep brining my POS hoping to inspire people. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 10:13 PM