Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dreaming, Thinking about starting down the 6 path
mgp4591
post Oct 15 2014, 07:50 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(patssle @ Oct 15 2014, 07:46 PM) *

I just finished (well...nothing is ever finished) my 3.0L conversion for $8700 and 6 months of hard but very satisfying work. A rather low price that I cheated by stealing a motor out of a project 911.... but it's very much possible. I'm still getting use to it but boy do I love the power in 2nd and 3rd gear!

Is that the total price including the car?!
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
patssle
post Oct 15 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 15 2014, 05:50 PM) *

Is that the total price including the car?!

No. I bought the car long before I decided on a /6 conversion...so I don't really consider it (along with other non-6 related repairs/expenses) part of the cost.

BTW to OP - my cost breakdown is here for a guide: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=242910&hl=
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 15 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #23

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

TC and Mark are right on target. Buy someone's project car where they have already spent a ton of cash and just need to get out of it. There is even this '74 conversion for sale right now for $8K that runs and has a six already in it.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=243953
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Oct 15 2014, 09:17 PM
Post #24

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

I have to agree that it would probably be cheaper to buy a finished conversion, but to tell the truth, I am kind of enjoying the ride. My car is my outlet from the daily grind. I enjoy thinking about the direction that I want to take and the thrill of the hunt for parts that I need. I am an IT nerd that probably should have been a mechanic, so building my car is far more fun for me than buying somebody else's work. Plus, at the end of it all, I will know exactly what I have and not have to worry about whether or not the PO used the old main bearings because "they looked pretty good".

Just my $.02.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Oct 15 2014, 09:21 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 10,741

Working on my car was something to look forward to coming home every night and being out in the garage instead of sitting behind a computer or TV. Especially after sitting at a desk all day. I don't care if I could get a conversion done by somebody else cheaper...I wouldn't trade the past 6 months of hard work for anything! Except maybe a 918. And I can say I built it.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 15 2014, 09:40 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

My 3.2 six was a lot of fun. (235 hp, yellow) Three speeding tickets. Three trips to traffic school. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) My 2.2 four is a lot of fun. (147 hp, black) No speeding tickets. No trips to traffic school. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Oct 15 2014, 09:57 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 13,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

I started dreaming in college in '71! Finally I started DOING in 2009 and its just now off the jack stands. Maybe I should have started with a better candidate car in the first place, and maybe I should have picked up one of the several completed ones I've seen here on the forum that would have needed minimal work. But I have a very nice 2.0L -4 that I rebuilt for driving in the meantime.

Figure out just how much of the work is fun/therapy. You can start collecting parts and if a good project or completed car comes along, it won't be hard to sell the parts.

My six is just a 2.0 L. I'm not looking for power, I just want to hear and feel that smooth six behind me. I'm sure I 'll put many more miles on my -4 because I get 32-36 mpg, but the local cars and coffee will see my orange -6 this winter.

So my dreaming time started in '71, doing started in '09...I'd hate it if you got my -6 still a project from my estate sale...

So you better start tomorrow...no, TONIGHT!

Good luck.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 15 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 15 2014, 09:40 PM) *

My 3.2 six was a lot of fun. (235 hp, yellow) Three speeding tickets. Three trips to traffic school. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) My 2.2 four is a lot of fun. (147 hp, black) No speeding tickets. No trips to traffic school. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

No tickets... no traffic school... Where's the fun in that?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 15 2014, 10:37 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 15 2014, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 15 2014, 09:40 PM) *

No tickets... no traffic school... Where's the fun in that?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Not getting caught. Duh!?
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 16 2014, 08:07 AM
Post #30

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I'm doing the exact same things... Fulfilling the dream and working on it at night / weekends.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 16 2014, 08:34 AM
Post #31

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 15 2014, 08:40 PM) *

Wait a minute. You were just talking about a six last month, weren't you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 16 2014, 08:37 AM
Post #32

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I know where there's an ugly bondo rayco with a well sorted 2.7 in it for $10K. If this deal was around when I started down this road I would have swapped parts with my car, sold the rayco (as a /4) cheap and would have done this job for a song.

Find someone else's project.
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Oct 16 2014, 10:04 AM
Post #33

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My 2056, EFI gets me down the road plenty fast enough... How fast do you want to go. I know my car goes over a 100 mph, I have a gps hud showing only the speed of the car. The other day I had it well over a 100 on the freeway... That's plenty fast enough for me.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 16 2014, 11:18 AM
Post #34

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 16 2014, 07:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 15 2014, 08:40 PM) *

Wait a minute. You were just talking about a six last month, weren't you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Yep! It's going to happen real soon, one of these days. Some time in the not-to-distant future, maybe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 16 2014, 10:01 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Oct 16 2014, 08:04 AM) *

My 2056, EFI gets me down the road plenty fast enough... How fast do you want to go. I know my car goes over a 100 mph, I have a gps hud showing only the speed of the car. The other day I had it well over a 100 on the freeway... That's plenty fast enough for me.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Not so much about top end. Love the flat toque curve of a 6 with sufficient power at most RPMs and a strong pull from on gear to the next.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Oct 16 2014, 10:16 PM
Post #36

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

For me, it isn't about top speed at all. It is about usable power and how much fun that can be. I wouldn't want to try to go 150 in a car that wasn't designed and proven to accomplish that speed, but I do love being able to thrash a great handling car on twisty roads with plenty of power to make it go. My current 1.8 stocker isn't that car.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 16 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #37

914 Guru

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Oct 16 2014, 10:04 AM) *

I'm witness to that- Jamie had no problem swapping places with me on the freeway out to Grand Junction. I could pull away at will of course with only 750 lbs and 95 hp but we cruised happily in and out of traffic all day and the orange beast was always there! I'm partial to the sound of a 6 tho, so that's where I'm going as well. A Porsche 6- too spendy for me so I'm going Subie... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Oct 16 2014, 10:38 PM
Post #38

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

I feel like a 3.2 would be the only 6 I would dig..On a few levels. The 3.2 has a reputation for being the most reliable of the earlier 911 motors , and the stock configuration has lots of power for a 914. My car is an 8cyl and its fun as it gets. Its different than the 2.0 it replaced, no doubt. I need to drive a 3.2 914 to solidify my thoughts on converting back to an air cooled six.
I agree on buying someones project! Its a money saver if you choose correctly.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Oct 16 2014, 10:48 PM
Post #39

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Oct 16 2014, 09:38 PM) *

I feel like a 3.2 would be the only 6 I would dig..On a few levels. The 3.2 has a reputation for being the most reliable of the earlier 911 motors , and the stock configuration has lots of power for a 914. My car is an 8cyl and its fun as it gets. Its different than the 2.0 it replaced, no doubt. I need to drive a 3.2 914 to solidify my thoughts on converting back to an air cooled six.

Admittedly biased, I couldn't agree more. I love the 3.2. If you are committed to converting your current car, Andy is right, plan on $10-15k.

It can always be done for less if every piece falls together perfectly but I wouldn't consider it realistic. And if it does, you should plan on extra $$ fixing some of those "good deals", IMHO.

Bottom line, once it is converted and dialed in, you will never regret it!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Oct 17 2014, 07:17 AM
Post #40

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Oct 16 2014, 09:48 PM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Oct 16 2014, 09:38 PM) *

Admittedly biased, I couldn't agree more. I love the 3.2. If you are committed to converting your current car, Andy is right, plan on $10-15k.

It can always be done for less if every piece falls together perfectly but I wouldn't consider it realistic. And if it does, you should plan on extra $$ fixing some of those "good deals", IMHO.

Bottom line, once it is converted and dialed in, you will never regret it!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

3.0L 911 SC Motor (1978-83) with updated chain tensioners and carbs could be a healthy beast. /6 sound, 180+ ponies and won't shred your 901 trans.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:06 AM