Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
moparrob
post Nov 11 2017, 06:01 PM
Post #341

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

Thanks porschetub and also to Larmo63 and Cairo94507 for comments on "business" snout. Spending most of my time at the other end for months and recently moving to the interior I haven't really had much of a chance to see it with the front butted right up to the garage door. I love the look.

As for the wiring mine has been a bit more than molested I'm afraid. porscehtub you are lucky! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Here is one I am fixing today. Picture does not do it justice though as you cannot see to the right of that primo splice there were only 2 strands left hidden under crappy old electrical tape. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Going to be fun to fix up by the hood release handle! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

That splice job was definitely not my work. Need to have a chat with Roland... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 11 2017, 06:39 PM
Post #342

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(moparrob @ Nov 11 2017, 04:01 PM) *

Thanks porschetub and also to Larmo63 and Cairo94507 for comments on "business" snout. Spending most of my time at the other end for months and recently moving to the interior I haven't really had much of a chance to see it with the front butted right up to the garage door. I love the look.

As for the wiring mine has been a bit more than molested I'm afraid. porscehtub you are lucky! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Here is one I am fixing today. Picture does not do it justice though as you cannot see to the right of that primo splice there were only 2 strands left hidden under crappy old electrical tape. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Going to be fun to fix up by the hood release handle! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

That splice job was definitely not my work. Need to have a chat with Roland... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

No it was not your work, too old, I should have specified PPO = Previous Previous Owner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) That electrical tape screamed the 90's! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Good luck on that Roland thing he is MIA for a while. Should you raise him remind him he said he would get me some pictures from back in the day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 12 2017, 03:20 PM
Post #343

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 11 2017, 03:35 PM) *

Oh dear,I'am into solder and heatshrink not much more permanent....if you can get in there ? otherwise use duraseal heatshink connectors,they are a total sealed connection and there is no oxidization of the wire.
Good luck...when are you going to fire the beast ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) .

I only do solder and heat shrink too, and did get it done, but your tip on duraseal may come in handy one day, so duly noted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

When am I going to fire the beast? good question! Thanks for asking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I get similar questions like “when you gunna fire it up?” or “when do think you’ll be done?” (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) My usual answer is “when it’s done” (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) And I’m not saying that to be a wise ass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
Hell really I don’t know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) It literally all depends on what I run into next! There have been far too many unplanned time consuming events that pop up to commit to anything. The list is getting shorter and there are no more parts in the dining room. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

There is a pretty good list of things on the interior yet to do besides the vinyl, carpet, and trim I’ve been working on. The hand throttle is now complete and that turned into more of a project than expected but I learned a lot. Got that new 914 Rubber dash I mentioned at the 4th (IMG:style_emoticons/default/birthday.gif) to install which is really cool but I know it could be a bitch.

There is the center pull hand brake aesthetics where I need to fashion something to make it look “right” in there with a console or something and I’ve been looking at that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) And then there’s whole a bunch of other interior odds and ends in there to finish and sort out. Seat belts for instance, piecing that together now.

I would like to completely strip off whatever undercoating/ dirt/ crud from the bottom of the car, but not the paint, and really just clean it up. Defianty was doing it with his special tool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) on his and so it inspired me. I mean the car is up in the air now. Right? Might as well do it right.

And I am not going to even mention the wiring issues I have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/help.gif)

Couple months? Maybe……………
+Quote Post
defianty
post Nov 12 2017, 03:38 PM
Post #344

Member No.: 6,621

You mocking my tool Jim? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Good luck with the scraping. It's an awful job and one I'm so glad I've now completed. I must get around to updating my thread but it's just been boring rust welding repairs of late. All was going well until my finger had an argument with the angle grinder! No prizes for guessing who won. Fortunately it could have been worse and I'll be back out working on the car in just a few days with all ten digits intact.

Keep up the good work Jim.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 12 2017, 03:43 PM
Post #345

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 11 2017, 06:35 PM) *

Oh dear,I'am into solder and heatshrink not much more permanent....if you can get in there ? otherwise use duraseal heatshink connectors,they are a total sealed connection and there is no oxidization of the wire.
Good luck...when are you going to fire the beast ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) .

Do like the rocket boys do.Do use adhesive heat shrink after that,'

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 12 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #346

Posted a thread looking for wider audience on the specific topic of oil tank breathers on 6 cylinder cars and found some very inventive ideas, so I thought I would tie it in here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=319486

Have a look if you have not seen it as you will not be disappointed! No two a like. I haven't decided which way to go just yet but another "thing" I would like to have behind me. I appreciate the input and I will post my contraption. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Nov 12 2017, 10:25 PM
Post #347

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I'm going to use one of these on the firewall and just run the breather hose right down into it.

Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 12 2017, 10:38 PM
Post #348

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 12 2017, 08:25 PM) *

I'm going to use one of these on the firewall and just run the breather hose right down into it.

Attached ImageAttached Image

Cool but I kinda liked the other one you posted on the thread, this is a real improvement tho (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 14 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #349

In addition to my partial list of things yet to be done in my last big post, my Targa top needs the headliner changed and maybe, an exterior repaint. Made a little progress on the headliner replacement the other day. Perlon from 914 Rubber. Another plug (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Here is a prime example of chain of events leading to extra time and therefore not really knowing when the car will be done. That forward cover piece between the latches has 4 screws under those little plastic caps. Three screws came out perfectly but the 4th well, not so much. I won't say how long it took. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Then I discovered a lot of glue where it wasn’t supposed to be, so I have got to get that off of course! Then I realized the latches looked pretty shabby and probably should be stripped and repainted, so now I’m disassembling latches and on we go!
Could this have all waited? I suppose, but it’s hard for me to do things half assed I guess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image

Attached Image

I started on the dash replacement! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 14 2017, 11:03 AM
Post #350

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looks great!
It’s all those little details that seperate a great build from a nice one.

Just this morning I pulled out these seats to clean them off. Then things got away from me.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 16 2017, 10:12 PM
Post #351

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 14 2017, 09:03 AM) *

Looks great!
It’s all those little details that seperate a great build from a nice one.

Just this morning I pulled out these seats to clean them off. Then things got away from me.

Thanks!

It Happens! Things are always getting away from me. I know I'm not alone and sure like when folks like you weigh in. Good luck on them seats!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 16 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #352

Finished the Dash Pad Install (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

I would have to say it was not as bad as I expected but perhaps more involved than I thought it would be. There is a You Tube video out there where Brad Mayeur from 914 Ltd. installs a 914 Rubber dash. Watch it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) One of the key things out of the video is you really don’t have to remove your gages by unplugging all the wires.

There IS another couple of good tips in there and that stubby wrench he uses. Get one. I happened to have a stubby set so that was a good thing. But you do not have to use the stubby as much as he does, I found you can access 6 of the 9 nuts with this set up or a combination of it, all ¼ inch drive with 13mm socket. This really is your best friend!
Attached Image

Before, obviously a big crack but there were several smaller ones I had not noticed as much until removed.
Attached Image

Go ahead and remove the visors it just makes removing the interior windshield side trim easier. The hardest nut I found to remove was the left one over the gage panel, just real tight space.
Attached Image

Disassembly. You HAVE TO remove the radio. Further complicating my remeoval was the PPO had installed a amp under the radio.
You DO NOT have to remove the glove box. I didn’t realize that until after I had removed the glove box door. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 16 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #353

My disassembly looks worse because I still have my fuse panel dropped and don’t ask I don’t want to talk about. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Attached Image

Picture has blue tape roughly marking the location of the 9 nuts. Radio out Yes, glove box out No.
Attached Image

Done. Love it! Glad that one is now behind me! On to the next. Started on my frunk board thanks to Defianty inspiration.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
defianty
post Nov 17 2017, 02:35 AM
Post #354

Member No.: 6,621

Perfect!
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Nov 17 2017, 11:08 AM
Post #355

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Nov 17 2017, 11:12 AM
Post #356

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Great job Jim....getting close!!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 17 2017, 11:41 AM
Post #357

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Dash looks very nice. Good work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 19 2017, 12:42 PM
Post #358

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 17 2017, 09:41 AM) *

Dash looks very nice. Good work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Well thank you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Thanks for weighing in!
Your post caused me to spend most of last night reading both your part one AND part 2 in their entirety! Yes, I have read parts of them before, but only parts, and I decided I wanted to take the time on your thread and start from the beginning and get the entire picture. Wow you my friend have been through a lot! And I was sorry to see some of your set backs, hell I'm sorry to see all your set backs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) and it makes mine seem rather simple in comparison. When it came time in part 2 for the entire front end to come back off I thought I had dozed off and somehow clicked back on part 1. Holy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

Sure looks like it is now in the right hands and making good progress with NOS parts. I see that you have had tremendous support through the whole ordeal and that is fantastic. I will now follow closely your thread and wish you all the best in getting it completed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 19 2017, 12:46 PM
Post #359

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 17 2017, 09:12 AM) *

Great job Jim....getting close!!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Thanks Oscar! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Yes it is. Like I said a couple posts back, you know you are making progress when there are no more parts in the dining room! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 19 2017, 12:59 PM
Post #360

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Nov 17 2017, 09:08 AM) *

Appreciate the support! Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 05:44 AM