Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post Nov 19 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #361

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(defianty @ Nov 17 2017, 12:35 AM) *

Perfect!

Happy with the results! (new dash pad) Kind of a pain but worth it!

I follow your thread and you are doing great fab work keep it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Anybody that hasn't seen it is missing out.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 19 2017, 09:08 PM
Post #362

Frunk!

Well Defianty showed off his new frunk board (below) so that got me going on mine. Thanks! Something I had thought about several times but just hadn't got to yet.
So now is a good time! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Here is Defianty’s inspiration board in his Frunk. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Attached Image

This is mine without:
Attached Image

I was actually able to somewhat re-use the one that came with the car which I learned on disassembly was actually a home built thing anyway. I started by using that board (well actually it was a 1/8” piece of flimsy melamine) as a template by removing the carpeting and modifying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (sorry I forgot a before pic). Then when I had it to where it would fit with my oil cooler shroud (completed eons ago). I cut up piece of ¼” cabinet grade panel for the final product. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
Attached Image

Began with a cutout for the spare tire bolt like Defianty has and then put it right back in as I realized the spare hold down bolt when turned sideways supplies additional support for the board inside the rim. Quarter inch is fairly sturdy so the jury is still out on whether to anchor it down as it seems to fit pretty well and I only see a car cover ever going there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
3M 90 spray glue and staples and I am a happy camper!. On to the next thing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Nov 19 2017, 10:36 PM
Post #363

Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

Nicely done my friend.
+Quote Post
defianty
post Nov 20 2017, 01:22 PM
Post #364

Member No.: 6,621

Excellent Jim, looks nice and tidy now. I can't wait to get mine covered in Perlon to finish it off.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 21 2017, 05:47 PM
Post #365

Posted a separate thread looking to find out where people were mounting their fire extinguishers inside their interiors and learned a lot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Check out that thread here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=320030

Turns out I needed an education on fire extinguishers. There was a lot of really good information that is coming out of that thread and has changed my thinking completely. Some showed and recommended good places and even impressive on board systems but it was, IMHO, Coondog who provided an experienced perspective worth considering. I will add, not cheap extinguishers, but with what we have into these cars, well worth it.
This is the only BBQ I ever want to see (IMG:style_emoticons/default/351.gif)

As a public service you should know, and it was mentioned on that thread, that plastic top/nozzle type extinguishers have been recalled and I had heard last week all the way back to 1973. You can get a free replacement. Crazy but true.
My Amazon order placed!

Here is Coondog's choices and location. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smiley_notworthy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) Thanks! and I hope to post a similar picture in the 4 to 5 weeks it takes for them to arrive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Nov 22 2017, 10:31 AM
Post #366

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) wow............that trunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 24 2017, 10:00 PM
Post #367

Seat Belts Finally! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Doesn't seem as though seat belts would be a very big deal but it kind of turned into one! When I bought this project, which I have mentioned a few times, it had been off the road over 20 years. It came with some very old and outdated shoulder harnesses. At first I thought I too would do shoulder harnesses, and someday that may still happen, but for now I just want to go with stock seat belts.

Seems simple enough. Right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Actually I thought this issue was way behind me when I bought what I thought were 914 belts 2 years ago from a buddy of mine. I came to find out recently, when trying to install them, they were actually VW, so they were way too long and attachment points were facing wrong. Larmo63 helped me out with info by texting pictures of correct belts and answering questions. Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

In the mean time I posted a WTB (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) here for the chrome guides that go behind the recoilers. Got those from puebloswatcop thanks you very much for the great deal! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Then I realized the chrome guides could not be installed unless the belt was completely disassembled DUH. Now I am thinking I have to buy "914" seat belts and post another WTB (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) and got some leads.

Now here is the funny part if you are still reading. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It dawned on me just last night that I could cut off the end that attaches down on the long and shorten the belt that way and while apart install the correct chrome guides. Both problems solved! I somehow had it stuck in my brain they could only be shortened from the recoil end and that did not look promising. Today I took them to my local upholsterer and we shortened the belts 2 and a half feet and installed the guides.
Ta Daaa! VW seat belts converted to 914 for a very modest price. And the recoilers work great! The interior is coming together.
On to the next thing…………..
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Nov 24 2017, 11:55 PM
Post #368

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

You can pry the chrome guide apart at the end where it is joined and slip the belt through the small opening. Then, it all bolts behind the reel and doesn't show.

That's what I've done before to make a 911 belt work in a 914.

Moot point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 25 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #369

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 24 2017, 09:55 PM) *

You can pry the chrome guide apart at the end where it is joined and slip the belt through the small opening. Then, it all bolts behind the reel and doesn't show.

That's what I've done before to make a 911 belt work in a 914.

Moot point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)

I believe you but mine looked to be tacked together pretty well up further and even at the joined end of the guide. Have to admit I did not try to pry it apart. Oh well they HAD to be shortened anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks again!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 25 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #370

Ah Yes The Console

The next thing I’m tackling is the console to house my center pull hand brake. Going to start with this console the PO furnished with the car and see if I can make it work.
It actually is a Porsche PN that starts with 964 so at the least it is a Porsche part! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image

This project has been rattling around in my head (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) for quite a while and it is now time. I’m a wood worker so here goes…… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) More to come.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 26 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #371

Console Complete!
Went way better than I hoped it would. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
Lots of clamping to achieve the thickness needed to match the outsides after gluing structural pieces inside.
Attached Image

The bondo stage, one of several applications.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 26 2017, 08:13 PM
Post #372

That new piece of vinyl is somehow going to replace the original vinyl shown in the fore ground, pretty cool that grain matches on the new.

Attached Image

Gluing was the most stressful part but it went off without a hitch, just slow.

Attached Image

Totally happy with the end product and now a place for the interior light!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 26 2017, 08:21 PM
Post #373

The guy I got the vinyl from said this was thick vinyl and would be difficult to work with but a hot sunny day here sure helped. Would have liked to have made the front rounder but that would be my only improvement. As it is it still took several days to complete.
On to the next thing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 26 2017, 09:12 PM
Post #374

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Nice work Jim almost factory eh,just ribbing you about when "are you going fire it up" you know your stuff and getting close,honestly I was the same ,older but wiser .
Used to crack up engine conversions to early and not think it out,stuff usually broke (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
Go well mate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Nov 26 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #375

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

Wow ........... WAY nice.

Looks "factory" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Nov 26 2017, 09:32 PM
Post #376

Member No.: 11,663

Awesome work! I see you even left a space for a cup holder. Re-purposing that interior light was a nice touch also.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Nov 26 2017, 09:37 PM
Post #377

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Cool mod. Reminds me of my old 993 (same part).... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post Nov 27 2017, 03:44 AM
Post #378

Member No.: 6,621

Very tidy - nice work Jim.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 28 2017, 12:46 AM
Post #379

QUOTE(moparrob @ Nov 26 2017, 07:32 PM) *

Awesome work! I see you even left a space for a cup holder. Re-purposing that interior light was a nice touch also.

Porschetub, Whitetwinturbo, Edward Blume, and Defianty Thanks guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks Rob and yes the cup holder was in work already but I was so happy with the way the vinyl came out I couldn’t wait to finish it to post pictures so here it is the cup holder! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Every 914 should have one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 28 2017, 09:56 AM
Post #380

One last thing on the console and that is there was a casualty with the project.
One of my Dewalt's bit the dust. I first tried some maple and should have used my drill press, the hand drill didn't like it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I may have, shall we say, "dropped" this drill before. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Christmas is around the corner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:31 PM