Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 24 25 26 27 28 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post Feb 8 2018, 11:12 AM
Post #501

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

Finished the Rear Valance install late last night! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Gas going in now
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 8 2018, 11:16 AM
Post #502

QUOTE(moparrob @ Feb 7 2018, 11:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Feb 7 2018, 11:17 PM) *

QUOTE(moparrob @ Jan 17 2018, 09:48 PM) *

Wow, you are getting close! Give me a call when you are ready for the maiden voyage and I will bring down a batch of the commemorative ale I had brewed up for the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Come down this Saturday and bring the ale. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Rats, I won't be able to make it down Saturday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Better post a picture of the ale then so I know you didn't make it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Feb 8 2018, 11:18 AM
Post #503

Member No.: 21,596

Bringing it to San Clemente C&C tomorrow? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 8 2018, 11:20 AM
Post #504

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jkb944t @ Feb 8 2018, 04:54 AM) *

See, I knew you could do it without removing the tank! I'm sure you have some skinned knuckles but still better than tank removal.

I like the elbow idea since it is very easy to kink the hose without an elbow.

Jeff B

^ +1

and he is using proper clamps that won't cut into the fuel hose!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 8 2018, 11:26 AM
Post #505

QUOTE(jkb944t @ Feb 8 2018, 04:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Feb 7 2018, 10:05 PM) *

The fuel line nipple arrived today from Bruce Stone and it looks great!

Now to install it is another story. I did not have a stock fuel line set up coming out of the tank. There was no screen and I wanted one. There was just been an AN adapter and an AN elbow going to a hose but now the stock nipple tube coming out of the tank is more angled down making my hose too short. Either remove the gas tank again to add longer hose or get creative. I chose the latter which involved making and adding a different elbow on the end of the stock nipple from Bruce. Lots of fun up in that hole. But thinking now, it turned out better than removing the tank anyway, and the clamps are very accessible. Finally fuel line done back to the engine.

See, I knew you could do it without removing the tank! I'm sure you have some skinned knuckles but still better than tank removal.

I like the elbow idea since it is very easy to kink the hose without an elbow.

Jeff B

Thanks Jeff it looks a bit "clampy" but so far no leaks and I like the way it turned out.
Wanted to keep it up on jack stands so I could actually see all the fittings with gas in the tank. The other line coming down is a length of AN tube for a drain that comes to the edge of the hole for easy access should I ever need to drain the tank it will be a nice clean shot.
Attached Image

Coming off jack stands today! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 8 2018, 11:29 AM
Post #506

QUOTE(914Toy @ Feb 8 2018, 09:18 AM) *

Bringing it to San Clemente C&C tomorrow? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

UH that would be a stretch. I am sure there will be some bugs to work out before I venture too far. Thanks for the thought though.

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 8 2018, 11:36 AM
Post #507

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 7 2018, 11:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Feb 7 2018, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE(moparrob @ Jan 17 2018, 09:48 PM) *

Wow, you are getting close! Give me a call when you are ready for the maiden voyage and I will bring down a batch of the commemorative ale I had brewed up for the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Come down this Saturday and bring the ale. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I can't miss this....

Saw your PM I will keep you posted. Thanks!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 9 2018, 10:41 PM
Post #508

I posted a separate thread this morning regarding my fuel tank coating, Red Kote, as I was concerned and looking for a wider audience.

I am posting the link http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=324029
so folks who are interested can look at the positive responses I got on using this coating and to provide an update.
Damon also suggested, for my peace of mind, filling the tank with gas, letting it sit over night, and then drain it back out and re-fill again with new fresh gas. So that is what is happening now. Supposedly this will help eliminate the majority of pinkishness in the fuel. Based on the input I received I will use the overnight removed fuel in my driver car.

This is suppose to be the best product on the market.
Attached Image

I had this done at my "go to" radiator shop locally about 2 years ago and when I had it boiled out and some welding done. Now keep in mind I am just now getting to the point of firing this car up for the first time so NO GAS was in the tank until now. After putting some fuel in, as a precautionary check, I decided to drain some fuel from the tank to see whatever I could from the drained fuel and it had a reddish tinge.

Called Damon Inc the manufacturer, this morning and spoke to the technical people and was told this is normal just the die coming off and will cause no harm they get this call all the time. BUT if were RED then that would be a problem. The red dye added to the coating to allow you to visually see that you have it fully coated vs. having it clear and not being able to tell the coverage.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 11 2018, 11:42 PM
Post #509

Been a super frustrating weekend of fighting fuel line leaks and fuel contamination. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Not entirely sure the leaks are totally behind me.
Glad I had the car back up on jack stands (never thought I would say that) for draining and filling the tank, it sure helped. Did a flush of the fuel line back to just before carbs and found debris in the fuel coming out, twice! Keep in mind I have a good size Holly fuel filter after the tank located in the front trunk and just before the Holly 125 fuel pump, also in the frunk.

Attached Image

The good news is the pinkish hue to the gas is now completely gone but where all the little shit in the fuel line is coming from beats me. I've decided, as extra protection, I am going to install 2 additional "pre-filters" after my splitter and just before the carbs. Probably look stupid, I don't care, should be temporary. Too much invested in these carbs and engine to take any chances. I remember Forrest dealing with carb contamination issues.

Maybe off the jack stands tomorrow, but is is suppose to rain, maybe not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post Feb 12 2018, 01:02 AM
Post #510

Member No.: 6,621

Hang in there Jim. So close to the finish line.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 12 2018, 09:57 AM
Post #511

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

From what I remember of the blur of my first "fire-up" day, I put about 2 gallons of gas in the tank and started it.

You might be over analyzing it. Leaks are bad for sure and need to be addressed, but get it started and drive it.

I check all of my car's systems constantly, and it seems to be consistently solid.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 12 2018, 10:20 AM
Post #512

QUOTE(defianty @ Feb 11 2018, 11:02 PM) *

Hang in there Jim. So close to the finish line.

Hanging but that dang finish line is so elusive.
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Feb 12 2018, 10:40 AM
Post #513

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Jim-

ALMOST!!!

Weather permitting get some test miles during the week and let's plan a Cars & Coffee debut in OC. Crystal Cove preferred...I have an appointment near there this coming Sat morning.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Oscar

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 12 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #514

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 12 2018, 07:57 AM) *

From what I remember of the blur of my first "fire-up" day, I put about 2 gallons of gas in the tank and started it.

You might be over analyzing it. Leaks are bad for sure and need to be addressed, but get it started and drive it.

I check all of my car's systems constantly, and it seems to be consistently solid.

Thanks I would love to get it started and drive it. Believe me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Happy to hear that things went well on your first startup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Recall this car has been off the road for over 20 years and had a previous owner do some of the work on conversion. Not blaming him for anything just providing some history.

That said there has been a small weeping that I thought was the fitting on the inlet side of the fuel pump. Drained the fuel tank changed the fitting, still weeping yesterday morning. Appears to be from this split line.
Attached Image

So I tried to tighten the 3 allen head screws underneath for that cap yesterday and they were tight. Still weeping this morning. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Called Holly technical this morning and explained the fuel pump has been mounted in position for 5 to 6 years and just saw fuel for the first time mid Jan of this year. He did not offer much other than to say it had dried out. Hmmmm seems to me pumps when new without fuel could sit on the shelf for years and be ok? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) He agreed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Without proof of purchase all he could do was recommend a rebuild kit. Can't just get the gasket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached Image

Tried to find one locally but after 9 calls, ordered from Summit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 12 2018, 03:27 PM
Post #515

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Damn gasoline, that stuff screws everything up.
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Feb 12 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #516

Member No.: 11,663

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 12 2018, 02:27 PM) *

Yes, especially when it ignites inside the automobile at the least opportune time.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 12 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #517

QUOTE(moparrob @ Feb 12 2018, 05:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 12 2018, 02:27 PM) *

Yes, especially when it ignites inside the automobile at the least opportune time.

It was actually quite surprising how much you could smell the fumes in the trunk from such a slow seepage, there was no dripping. You could see the bottom of the pump moist at times and wipe it away and it would take hours to look like that again so that tells me that a good part of it was evaporating. The groove around that split line I discovered, would stay wet, and wiping it dry it would fill up again relatively quickly. Down low in the trunk made diagnosing difficult. The hood has been mostly open allowing air circulation in the trunk but when it was closed for a while days or hours you could really smell fumes when opened again.

It is a shame there is no real estate to install a manual tank shut off at the fuel line tank outlet before the Holly filter and pump. Believe me I have looked and a major re-plumb would be needed.

I had my 67 bug burn in 1995. Probably why I may be a bit more cautious than most. Gas sure screwed this one up at an inopportune time! Still have that car, restored it again.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 13 2018, 03:11 PM
Post #518

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 12 2018, 08:40 AM) *

Jim-

ALMOST!!!

Weather permitting get some test miles during the week and let's plan a Cars & Coffee debut in OC. Crystal Cove preferred...I have an appointment near there this coming Sat morning.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Oscar

Sounds fantastic Oscar but I kinda doubt it. I do like the optimistic time frame on getting it running and sorted out for a 70 mile run up there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Few other things going on around here besides the car too.
Finish line, I think I see it! Keep you posted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Waiting parts as usual. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Feb 13 2018, 04:25 PM
Post #519

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Jim-

Sure, I'm like Tom Bodett of Motel 6, "we'll leave the light on for you"

Family and safety first...then 914's

Oscar
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Feb 13 2018, 04:32 PM
Post #520

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

I did my fuel line set up like yours from underneath and yes it can be done,good move on the filters,I plan on fitting a second one in the near future,an all metal one nearer to the engine is my plan.
I was very fortunate to have a tank that was pristine inside,hell even the suction pipe filter was clean.
I have a regular pre-check of fuel line hoses and clamps before I start up ,only takes a few minutes better safe than sorry eh.
Jim I hope all your little nagging issues are sorted soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) .
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 24 25 26 27 28 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:44 PM