Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 47 48 49 50 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post Apr 13 2021, 04:38 PM
Post #961

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

One of my passions in life was to find a nice 911 M491 or as some call it a “wide body” or “Turbo-Look”.

For those not familiar, M491 is the option number and was only available from 1984 through 1989, first because there was no turbo available in 1984 or 1985 in the US and then as the Trubo came back into production they retained the option as I said through 1989. Ever decreasing numbers were produced each year. The advantage of course is you get the turbo wide body and all the suspension and handling, but with the normally aspirated 3.2 which is much less costly to maintain. Some say the best of both worlds, some scoff at the idea. To each his own.

I have looked off and on over the years and seen at a lot of cars in that time. I can’t remember when I actually started the hunt but I would say early 90’s. I “settled” when I came across an outstanding 911 example pristine low mileage 1988 911 cab (not wide body) which I had for about seven years. Was not a fan of cab’s as it turned out and the hunt has always continued since. In 2016 I began my BAT habit and found one local to me in San Diego, but it seemed so out of reach and I just drooled thinking my wife might not be quite as enthused as me. Well surprise, surprise, I found she was, …….after the auction ended.

Now with the auction over I intensified my quest and actually looked at a number of cars that year locally several and then taking me to LA, Houston and of all places Montgomery Alabama. The Alabama M491 was not officially “on the market”, I’d heard about it through a friend and it was very nice, but as it turned out, he really did not want to part with it, and so I got to know the guy and we became friends over time. He was a car lover and multi car collector and owner and had had many various makes of cars over the years buying several and selling several while I knew him, but always hanging onto the M491. When I first met him, he had an Audi R8 and a beautifully restored ’67 Jag that eventually I watched him sell at RM Sotheby’s in Scottsdale, and the M491.

Fast forward a few years to last year and my friend decided to leave Montgomery for Florida and now did not have the room for his M491. I got the call, did I want it?

Duh! So my wife of 50 years and I hooked up our trailer and were off to Alabama!
Turns out there were a few things needing attention and this consumed several months doing so, but it sorted out nicely, unfortunately continuing to put the 914 on the back burner until recently.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Apr 13 2021, 04:46 PM
Post #962

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

You win. That's an all time favorite of mine, too. Beautiful and big congrats! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Apr 13 2021, 04:55 PM
Post #963

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 13 2021, 03:46 PM) *

You win. That's an all time favorite of mine, too. Beautiful and big congrats! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Even more amazing in person! Also one of my all time fav's and Jim's is a remarkable example, was well worth the wait (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 13 2021, 08:26 PM
Post #964

Thanks @tygaboy and @eric9144 much appreciated. It is really something when you realize a dream.

Car has black interior, sport seats, limited slip, Dansk muffler, and 71k miles.

Engine bay was super clean from the previous owner and I'm grateful for that!

Attached Image

The underneath was a little above average so I had it ice blasted and then I detailed it more and painted the heat exchangers. What a difference!
There is more I did to the car but I want to get back to 914 stuff.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 14 2021, 10:16 AM
Post #965

Not sure how much viewing threads get posted in Originality and History? I have never posted there until yesterday and only in replying to an old thread about paint code labels and where to find them.

Posting the link here to see if it helps. Post 38 in the thread. Thanks for any leads.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=227846

Looking for this one

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 23 2021, 01:49 PM
Post #966

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 14 2021, 09:16 AM) *

Not sure how much viewing threads get posted in Originality and History? I have never posted there until yesterday and only in replying to an old thread about paint code labels and where to find them.

Posting the link here to see if it helps. Post 38 in the thread. Thanks for any leads.

Looking for this one

Attached Image

Took the advice of @bbrock from the thread posted above and contacted the same people he did. It was on Ebay and they are in the UK, just use the link Brent provided, worked great, very responsive.

Sticker ordered yesterday, shipped today.
Thanks Brent!

I'll update when it arrives to show how they did.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 23 2021, 02:55 PM
Post #967

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 23 2021, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 14 2021, 09:16 AM) *

Looking for this one

Attached Image

Took the advice of @bbrock from the thread posted above and contacted the same people he did. It was on Ebay and they are in the UK, just use the link Brent provided, worked great, very responsive.

Sticker ordered yesterday, shipped today.
Thanks Brent!

I'll update when it arrives to show how they did.

Cool! Did you have them double space the letters on the code? It's the one thing I would do different, but if you sent them that photo, they'll probably get it right.

Your car is looking fantastic and those cherry cabinets are... well... CHERRY! I hope your son knows how much those would have cost. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 23 2021, 07:29 PM
Post #968

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 23 2021, 01:55 PM) *
Cool! Did you have them double space the letters on the code? It's the one thing I would do different, but if you sent them that photo, they'll probably get it right.

Your car is looking fantastic and those cherry cabinets are... well... CHERRY! I hope your son knows how much those would have cost. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Yes through several emails and the picture we hopefully sorted out the spacing. We will see! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Actually my son was the cabinet maker and worked in the trade years ago, he knows very well. He just doesn't have the tools anymore.
And, who do you think taught me? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 28 2021, 10:09 PM
Post #969

As I mentioned back a few posts in #958, I had long wanted to have an early jack. I just like the look and position better than a "74 jack and placement.

Got A quart of paint match and one of those rattle cans with hardener in it you have to activate that you can get at an automotive paint store. Had never used one of those cans they fill for you before, but it was a one timer and I wanted to give it a try rather than set up a paint gun for a small job. Another small project materialized to not let the remaining rattle can paint go to waste that I will cover soon.

Once painted I installed the bracket with JB Weld and I am very happy with the results.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Apr 28 2021, 11:09 PM
Post #970

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Jim and his friends ALL have M491 cars. I saw them at the Rancho Santa Fe cars and coffee a few weeks ago. Great cars, great turn out.

Jim's is the best (cleanest) of the bunch!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 29 2021, 02:30 PM
Post #971

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 28 2021, 10:09 PM) *

Jim and his friends ALL have M491 cars. I saw them at the Rancho Santa Fe cars and coffee a few weeks ago. Great cars, great turn out.

Jim's is the best (cleanest) of the bunch!

Thanks Lawrence! @larmo63

Your recent white 911 find is awesome, as is the story of how you found and bought it.
Great to see you and hope to see you again soon. Kicking myself for not taking a pic your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 30 2021, 10:25 PM
Post #972

Well this was fun...............

When I got this car in 2013 it had the steel flares, all the body work, and Imron paint, ALL DONE!
This was huge for me, the car was in the middle of a 6 conversion. The paint job was in great condition for having been done about 1998. Still looks fabulous today.

I had lots to do to finish the conversion (5 years) so not having to worry about the above mentioned was fantastic and left me to focus 6 conversion, engine rebuild, and a bit more.

I was not too concerned at the time about the underside and only did some touch up here and there. Being as the car turned out well, something has bugged me for some time now, and that is the areas below I painted, which is basically the underside of the engine compartment. Of course having the paint I got to do the jack bracket project certainly helped!

Have no idea how long it took me to tape this off but it was a while. pictures are huge so will take a couple posts.

The left side

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 30 2021, 10:26 PM
Post #973

The left side done!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 30 2021, 10:29 PM
Post #974

Right side...

Both sides had their challenges. And why didn't I paint this when the engine was out?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 30 2021, 10:36 PM
Post #975

And the right side done. not sure what took longer taping off or removing? I think it is a toss up and the reason for the delayed posting.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 1 2021, 06:59 AM
Post #976

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

That may have been a pain in the rear to prepare and tape off but it looks so much nicer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 1 2021, 02:03 PM
Post #977

Thanks Michael ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Post up some pics of your car out in the wild on your thread. I do recall seeing one a little while back but more is always good.

I went to Rancho Santa Fe today and as you can see from the other thread posted I got to meet up with Larmo63, Steve, and I don't know Brandons handle if he has one here on world.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 1 2021, 06:49 PM
Post #978

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

@Lucky9146 - THat's a good idea; I will post some of my next road trip when I head up north. I am doing some minor intake mods right now and waiting for parts to come back from the powder coater. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 2 2021, 11:12 AM
Post #979

Results on the paint color decal I ordered and mentioned a few posts back.

Communication with supplier in UK-----Excellent/OK
Making and shipping-----Excellent
Packaging ----------------Excellent
Quality--------------------Excellent
Making the decal exactly like the picture I sent---------Close

In spite of spelling out desired wider spacing was needed between the L 80 E and providing this exact picture shown here.

Attached Image

This is what I received................ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) @bbrock same as your experience.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 2 2021, 12:09 PM
Post #980

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I think yours looks better than mine (more spacing), but still not quite there, is it? Looks to me like they need to about double the spacing they used for yours and they would have it.

I'll say though that the sticker is so tucked away that you'll soon forget about the spacing. I doubt even the most anal judge would catch that it was a repro. Still, I share the desire to have things replicated perfectly. If it was made a certain way once, it can be done that way again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 47 48 49 50 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:46 PM