Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which conversion is harder to accomplish/in a 914, A. porsche 2.7 or 3.0 engine or B. the suby 3.3/Turbo
patssle
post Oct 31 2015, 10:08 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

QUOTE(phillstek @ Oct 30 2015, 06:10 PM) *

Apologies for the hijack but...I took a look at your conversion blog and was wondering about your comment re: stainless braided oil line “I won’t use these again"

Why’s that?

Thanks

They are not user-friendly. Tough to get the hose ends screwed into the hose and also can scrape your fingers when cutting if not careful. They also don't bend barely at all. Also expensive.

There are some Push-Loc hoses/fittings I would probably try if I did another conversion.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
patssle
post Oct 31 2015, 10:11 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

QUOTE(flmont @ Oct 30 2015, 04:24 PM) *

Hey,..Thanks Patssle,..That is great info,..would love to hear rhat engine,..??? LOL Frank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIIH5ZSfbTE
+Quote Post
flmont
post Oct 31 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

Damn,that is a sweet sound.....
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Nov 1 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #24

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Oct 30 2015, 08:14 AM) *

I'm getting started on Porsche 2.7L conversion. I'll detail the process (although this has already been done) as much to keep me on track as to help others. What I do know is involved are the following:

914/6 oil tank and fittings
Early (65-69) 6 bolt flywheel
914/6 motor mount
Front oil cooler and associated lines and fittings
914/6 exhaust headers (or very expensive heat exchangers)

You will also need to make a decision on the fuel system. I am going to initially use the stock 1974 CIS injection system that came with the engine I bought. I may later switch to Megasquirt injection since I currently have that on my 2056 4.

I believe I can keep the cost below $3,000 plus the cost of the engine so a total of about $8,000. I know that a Subi could be done for much less but I like the purity of keeping a Porsche engine.

FWIW, I think you will have to be willing to wait....and wait to find the right deal on every part you need if you plan to keep it under $3k. The oil tank and neck are $1k alone. Oil lines, thermostat, fittings, cooler shroud etc will add up WAY faster than you think.

I don't know if your list was intended to be all inclusive but there are a gang of parts needed that aren't listed here. Do a search and you should be able to find it...there are a couple of threads that put together a very detailed list of every part that you need to actually get conversion on the road. It is a lot more than an engine mount, headers and oil fittings.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 1 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #25

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 30 2015, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 30 2015, 11:29 AM) *

A turbo on a 3.3 Subie is a whole 'nother level of complexity. The 3.3 came NA from the factory.

Not as bad as you think really.

It is just a stretched 2.2Ls so all them piston, rods, etc work. Custom headers and down pipes and your done.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Highly oversimplified

Subaru made a twin turbo flat six?
What car did that come in, what years?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Nov 1 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 1 2015, 06:51 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 30 2015, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 30 2015, 11:29 AM) *

A turbo on a 3.3 Subie is a whole 'nother level of complexity. The 3.3 came NA from the factory.

Not as bad as you think really.

It is just a stretched 2.2Ls so all them piston, rods, etc work. Custom headers and down pipes and your done.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Highly oversimplified

Subaru made a twin turbo flat six?
What car did that come in, what years?

I'm not aware of any stock Subaru 6 cylinder turbo engines. I think what they're getting at is that there WAS a 2.2L 4 cylinder turbo, and the 3.3 is just a 2.2 with 2 more cylinders so there are low compression pistons and stuff available stock. You do find some interesting builds when you search for EG33 turbo. A LOT of them have been turbo'd!

+Quote Post
Dtjaden
post Nov 1 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 15,915
Region Association: Northern California

My target cost of $3,000 is of course based on used and bargain parts as well as some fabricated parts. It does not include transforming the car into a full 914-6, just what is necessary to install a 6 cylinder Porsche engine. It also, of course does not include the cost of the engine.

Some example parts costs:
Flywheel - $100 used, OEM new under $200
914-6 motor mount - Under $300 new
Oil cooler - used Mazda RX7 and oil lines, under $300
Headers - new under $700, muffler used - under $150
CIS fuel pump - OEM $100
Engine oil lines - self made $200
Engine tins - under $300 or $50 if self fabricated
Shift linkage - self modified $0

I'm still looking for a decent used oil tank & fittings (PM me if you have one)

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Nov 1 2015, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Oct 30 2015, 08:14 AM) *

I'm getting started on Porsche 2.7L conversion. I'll detail the process (although this has already been done) as much to keep me on track as to help others. What I do know is involved are the following:

914/6 oil tank and fittings
Early (65-69) 6 bolt flywheel
914/6 motor mount
Front oil cooler and associated lines and fittings
914/6 exhaust headers (or very expensive heat exchangers)

You will also need to make a decision on the fuel system. I am going to initially use the stock 1974 CIS injection system that came with the engine I bought. I may later switch to Megasquirt injection since I currently have that on my 2056 4.

I believe I can keep the cost below $3,000 plus the cost of the engine so a total of about $8,000. I know that a Subi could be done for much less but I like the purity of keeping a Porsche engine.

FWIW, I think you will have to be willing to wait....and wait to find the right deal on every part you need if you plan to keep it under $3k. The oil tank and neck are $1k alone. Oil lines, thermostat, fittings, cooler shroud etc will add up WAY faster than you think.

I don't know if your list was intended to be all inclusive but there are a gang of parts needed that aren't listed here. Do a search and you should be able to find it...there are a couple of threads that put together a very detailed list of every part that you need to actually get conversion on the road. It is a lot more than an engine mount, headers and oil fittings.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 10:14 PM