Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magnus Walker 914
Mueller
post Dec 8 2015, 06:23 PM
Post #41

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cory M @ Dec 8 2015, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 8 2015, 03:22 PM) *

Wonder if this Magnus wheel (welded in the barrel) is approved for track use by the POC/PCA/ nasa, scca tech rules ?

I don't see why not. I raced POC/PCA with similarly welded 2 piece Forgelines. This is the same manufacturing method for most of the 17" Fuchs lots of people use on the track.

Popular method for 2 piece wheels, most all major legit wheel manufactures have a welded design to offer something a little less expensive than a true bolt together wheel.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 9 2015, 12:04 AM
Post #42

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

I only met the guy once, this past June at the concours here in Cincy. His wife was there. She did not look healthy, but there was no question that they loved one another. They were both very kind, although she clearly seemed tired of all of the glad-handing. It was pretty hot that day.

Do a little research and see what they did together. It is an "American Dream" story. The kind that I will share with my young daughters - that they were fortunate enough to be born in a country where anything is possible, so long as you have a work-ethic and a vision.

In Magnus' case, he wasn't even born here, but he came here to realize his dream and potential, and he did. That is even more remarkable! And for that, and one laps in judgment, he is being blasted here.

It is very seldom that I am disappointed by what I get from this forum, but this thread is one glaring exception.
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Dec 9 2015, 01:00 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) done...Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jacob
post Dec 9 2015, 07:02 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 8,705
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 9 2015, 01:04 AM) *

I only met the guy once, this past June at the concours here in Cincy. His wife was there. She did not look healthy, but there was no question that they loved one another. They were both very kind, although she clearly seemed tired of all of the glad-handing. It was pretty hot that day.

Do a little research and see what they did together. It is an "American Dream" story. The kind that I will share with my young daughters - that they were fortunate enough to be born in a country where anything is possible, so long as you have a work-ethic and a vision.

In Magnus' case, he wasn't even born here, but he came here to realize his dream and potential, and he did. That is even more remarkable! And for that, and one laps in judgment, he is being blasted here.

It is very seldom that I am disappointed by what I get from this forum, but this thread is one glaring exception.

Well said. Thank you for your post. I have not met the man, it is nice to hear from someone who has.
+Quote Post
LowBridge
post Dec 9 2015, 07:17 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 19,045
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) .... we are a country where desire and hard work can give you almost unlimited opportunity. like him or not he is an example of what someone can achieve here.
+Quote Post
1stworks
post Dec 9 2015, 09:29 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 15,718

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 8 2015, 11:04 PM) *

Well said!!!!

Hope we didn't scare dude away.....I can't wait to see his 914's

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1315.photobucket.com-15718-1449674963.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 9 2015, 10:05 AM
Post #47

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Wondering if he'll have a magnuswalker914.blogspot page to go along with his current magnuswalker911.blogspot?

+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Dec 9 2015, 11:10 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 14,487

I don't mind him that much, he can get a esoteric now and then, but I like what he does with the 911's and I feel anyone who makes their own money can do whatever they please with it.

He has just become the face of the new generation of car enthusiasts that have finally recognized Porsche and lead to the upswing. Even though he has been collecting for years, no one would have guessed it 5 to 10 years ago. He is the complete opposite of probably 80% of the typical Porsche owner in the past (demographic wise) and likely 80% of the people on this forum.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Dec 9 2015, 12:15 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

I just wish I was smart enough like Magnus to buy property in Venice Calif. While our real estate is crazy expensive, Venice is the new in place for smaller tech company's. It's called Silicon Valley West. I am sure his savvy knowledge or good luck to buy in Venice when no one else would touch commerical property there helped his Porsche hobby grow. Then again it takes money to make money so good for him.
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Dec 9 2015, 12:27 PM
Post #50

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

I remember Venice when it was a swamp. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Whoda thought
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Dec 9 2015, 12:30 PM
Post #51

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 8 2015, 11:04 PM) *

Insert "slow clap" here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
RARE 6
post Dec 9 2015, 12:39 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 18,337
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 8 2015, 10:04 PM) *

Agree wholeheartedly. More than a few commenters on this thread seem to enjoy the "holier than thou" attitude they decry in others who don't appreciate 914s as much as we do.
More power to Walker...he's expanded the vision of what modified Porsches can become and added much to the car culture in general. I see a lot of cars on this forum that could easily elicit a WTF comment, but also embrace "to each his own" and usually am impressed by the effort and passion, if not the result.
The -6 we bought new, absent some easily reversed suspension mods done back in our PCA DE days, will retain its 99% original form. It shares garage space with a restomod FJ55 Land Cruiser with an SBC conversion. Soon I'll start on a Model A 60s-style retro rod.
Enthusiasm comes in all shapes and colors. We should embrace that, not try to put fences around it or bend and shape it into our own narrow view.

+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 9 2015, 12:49 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

And for that, and one laps in judgment, he is being blasted here.

That's the problem. It's not one lapse in judgment. There are several videos surfacing of him racing with other cars well over 100 mph on public roads. He is also a PCA Driving Instructor and should know better. This is simply the first time it ended in an accident, and one that ALMOST killed his passenger.

Aside from that, yes, he's a good businessman. But just because one is talented at marketing or promoting oneself does not make a skilled car designer, fabricator or all-around wrench. This is a public forum and we're allowed to critique anyone we like, within the bounds of tastefulness. That's also why I enjoy this place. You may like Magnus and think he's god's gift to cars. I personally think a lot of people are jumping on his bandwagon because you perceive it to make your car more valuable, and to be brutally honest, there are guys here like Chris F., Scotty B, Eric Shea, etc that have already displayed more skill and imagination and have been doing it a lot longer. I'd prefer to support them than Porsche's marketing go-to.
+Quote Post
1stworks
post Dec 9 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 15,718

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 9 2015, 11:49 AM) *

And for that, and one laps in judgment, he is being blasted here.

That's the problem. It's not one lapse in judgment. There are several videos surfacing of him racing well over 100 mph on public roads. He is also a PCA Driving Instructor and should know better. This is simply the first time it ended in an accident, and one that ALMOST killed his passenger.

Aside from that, yes, he's a good businessman. But just because one is talented at marketing or promoting oneself does not make a skilled car designer, fabricator or all-around wrench. This is a public forum and we're allowed to critique anyone we like, within the bounds of tastefulness. That's also why I enjoy this place. You may like Magnus and think he's god's gift to cars. I personally think a lot of people are jumping on his bandwagon because you perceive it to make your car more valuable, and to be brutally honest, there are guys here like Chris F., Scotty B, Eric Shea, etc that have already displayed more skill and imagination and have been doing it a lot longer. I'd prefer to support them than Porsche's marketing go-to.

Lol I disagree, dude has way more imagination and creativity......Just saying,everyone has
An opinion and I've seen some those cars

+Quote Post
jor
post Dec 9 2015, 02:16 PM
Post #55

Just happy to be here.

Member No.: 17,693

I personally think a lot of people are jumping on his bandwagon because you perceive it to make your car more valuable, and to be brutally honest, there are guys here like Chris F., Scotty B, Eric Shea, etc that have already displayed more skill and imagination and have been doing it a lot longer. I'd prefer to support them than Porsche's marketing go-to.

There's room in the hobby and our community for all, I think. Who knows, Magnus might be contracting with Chris, Scotty, or Eric because of their good work?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 9 2015, 02:48 PM
Post #56

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jor @ Dec 9 2015, 03:16 PM) *

I personally think a lot of people are jumping on his bandwagon because you perceive it to make your car more valuable, and to be brutally honest, there are guys here like Chris F., Scotty B, Eric Shea, etc that have already displayed more skill and imagination and have been doing it a lot longer. I'd prefer to support them than Porsche's marketing go-to.

There's room in the hobby and our community for all, I think. Who knows, Magnus might be contracting with Chris, Scotty, or Eric because of their good work?

Eric's brakes have already prettied up Maggie's cars.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Dec 9 2015, 02:59 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 9 2015, 12:49 PM) *

and one that ALMOST killed his passenger.

That's a bit dramatic. She walked away and did a news segment on her experience the same day. If anything, he almost killed himself since he hit the trailer on the driver's side of his 277.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 9 2015, 03:21 PM
Post #58

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(1stworks @ Dec 9 2015, 02:41 PM) *

Lol I disagree, dude has way more imagination and creativity......Just saying,everyone has
An opinion and I've seen some those cars

Ouch.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
PlantMan
post Dec 9 2015, 03:42 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 17,352

I would cut the guy a little slack.

This conversation sounds a lot like the conversations you read over on the woodworking forums and people blasting Norm Abrams from New Yankee Workshop/This Old House about being a quality woodworker/carpenter because he sometimes use drywall screws in his projects....Everyone is allowed a minor lapse in judgment. Good for Magnus in making something of his life and hopefully adding a little joy to someone's day when they see him on You Tube, etc.

The world is a crappy place right now especially if you are raising kids and are concerned about their wellbeing.

Thanks for guys like Magnus, Norm Abrams, and the 914World for giving us regular folk a place to go and step away from daily life for a while.
+Quote Post
jfort
post Dec 9 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

He's a Porsche guy. That's enough for me.
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 07:21 PM