Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V « < 43 44 45  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Route 66 Classic 2016 *Official Thread*, April 28 - May 1. That sure was a lot of Fun. Woo Hoo.
Kansas 914
post May 4 2016, 07:39 AM
Post #881

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(worn @ May 3 2016, 08:28 PM) *

Bought a pipe nipple and coupler to attach the double sender and best of all Teflon table so the joints would seal. Instead of watching the oil pressure fade to 20 it just stayed put, and the motor ran cool at 75 mph. Fast as I want to go at this point. And roads are straight enough so I can just tie down the wheel and put a brick on the gas. Getting the weight of the brick right is the big challenge. If I make it home tomorrow it will be sweet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

Warren,

Glad to hear your travels are progressing nicely now. I ma sure your wife is too - cheers!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post May 4 2016, 07:40 AM
Post #882

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 3 2016, 09:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 3 2016, 07:13 PM) *

Yep - "I can see Ridgway from my house". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

PS: Hurry up and finish your Raspberry car and bring it to Red Rocks. The guys at Route 66 kept calling my car pink! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
It's because you're such a good sport Mike!

It is easy to be a good sport around good people! It was good to see you again - cheers!
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post May 4 2016, 07:41 AM
Post #883

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 3 2016, 11:21 PM) *

Uh... have you ever met Mike? If he stands up and says he can see something, I believe him! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post May 5 2016, 11:20 AM
Post #884

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 4 2016, 05:39 AM) *

QUOTE(worn @ May 3 2016, 08:28 PM) *

Bought a pipe nipple and coupler to attach the double sender and best of all Teflon table so the joints would seal. Instead of watching the oil pressure fade to 20 it just stayed put, and the motor ran cool at 75 mph. Fast as I want to go at this point. And roads are straight enough so I can just tie down the wheel and put a brick on the gas. Getting the weight of the brick right is the big challenge. If I make it home tomorrow it will be sweet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

Warren,

Glad to hear your travels are progressing nicely now. I ma sure your wife is too - cheers!

I think it is a wrap. I made it home last night. I had a great time. Roughly 4000 miles added to the odometer. I would imagine I am the last one home. 10 days in the 914 seat.

The last leg was more oil bleeding. Sorry environment. The last 100 miles I was just adding oil to get home. Sprayed all over the rear of the car and gave me the smoked tail light look. May have to dip the car to clean it.

Am thinking of pulling the motor. It has about 10k miles but they have been pretty hard miles. If anyone can tell me where a leak is that sprays from the upper right part of the motor would be I would appreciate it. First suspect is still the oil sender, but could a main seal failure do this? Gets a lot worse when it is hot and I have a cast iron
selling oil pump without the o-ring.

Thanks folks.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 6 2016, 01:40 AM
Post #885

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Glad to hear you finally made it home, Warren (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Possible 'prone to leakage' components in that area of the motor you can check on:

1. Oil pressure sender - sometimes they leak around the crimped portion (replace sender) ... or from the threads (use teflon tape).

2. Oil cooler seals (replace seals) I smear them with a little wheel bearing grease to help them stave off oil seepage ... I do the same with valve cover gaskets) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

3. Oil filter console (replace gasket).

4. Oil pump cover plate (replace gasket).
+Quote Post
worn
post May 6 2016, 09:59 AM
Post #886

can't remember

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 5 2016, 11:40 PM) *

Glad to hear you finally made it home, Warren (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Possible 'prone to leakage' components in that area of the motor you can check on:

1. Oil pressure sender - sometimes they leak around the crimped portion (replace sender) ... or from the threads (use teflon tape).

2. Oil cooler seals (replace seals) I smear them with a little wheel bearing grease to help them stave off oil seepage ... I do the same with valve cover gaskets) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Thanks. I am not sure I want to even play with it for a week or so, but autocross season is coming up... wish the 911 wasn't engineless on the lift.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 6 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #887

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Hah! I know that feeling. Looked at mine yesterday and thought (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) it. It will be a week before I can bring myself to wash it. Temporary 914 overload. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post May 6 2016, 10:44 PM
Post #888

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

I did a valve adjustment tonight. Put all of the now dry carpets back in

Really clean/dry underneath and haven't found anything bad yet in the inspection
+Quote Post
palmer_md
post May 17 2016, 02:38 AM
Post #889

Member No.: 12,389
Region Association: Northern California

I've not been working on the 914 recently and not been reading much here either. My family took a vacation to the Grand Canyon for the last week of April, and as we were leaving on Friday driving the RV back out to HWY 40 what did I see? A long line of 914's heading in the other direction. I got very excited about it, but the wife was not impressed. It was great to see all the awesome cars (even if only for a few seconds). You guys picked a better day to head to the canyon on Friday rather than Thursday. Thursday was whiteout conditions and you could not see anything. Tuesday and Wednesday were very nice although a bit cool, but not cold.

Ok, not I've got to get back out to the garage and finish my car so that I can join everyone on one of these adventures.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 17 2016, 07:40 AM
Post #890

Yep, just another case of divine intervention. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 17 2016, 03:27 PM
Post #891

A quick update on the Rt 66 decals. Just received this PM from Jamie (oldschool) with whom the order was placed.:

""Hey buddy I'm so pissed about my guy not getting the stickers on time,We lost our reg. vendor (will not print low quantity) so we used a new guy believe it or not I still haven't
received the order.
Here is what I want to do, when we get them I will ship to each person free. and you don't have to pay for the stickers.
BTW we get enough stickers request that we just ordered and sticker printer/Cutter
so we will never have to wait again.I'll keep you posted.""

If you ATTENDED Rt66 you might want to forward your address to Jamie if you want one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 15 2016, 09:19 AM
Post #892

can't remember

QUOTE(worn @ May 6 2016, 07:59 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 5 2016, 11:40 PM) *

Thanks. I am not sure I want to even play with it for a week or so, but autocross season is coming up... wish the 911 wasn't engineless on the lift.

At long last I found the oil leak. Nothing major, just a 13 mm hole in the engine leaking oil. I bought a new set of 2.0 heads to build a 2056 with from the 1.7 that came out of my 3.2 car. Well, the heads were vented, but the 2.0 heads in the '76 are not. So, I plugged both vents with aluminum plugs turned to fit tight. Hmmm - the vent tube simply either blew or fell out, plug and all. On the left side I found both plug and tube had loosened such that the tube pulled out with no force. I have gone back to the lathe and made up new plugs that I plan to JB weld into the heads.

My reasoning is A) they stopped venting the heads, B) the push rod tubes provide passage into the case, C) the case is vented to the air cleaner. So what could possibly go wrong, other than what happened to me and resulted in about two gallons of oil spread out over America's highways and nature? I mean, where does the pressure come from? Oil filling up the pushrod tubes and blow by through the valve guides?

Resurrecting an old thread, but to me this will truly finish the trip since I hope to drive the car more easily without bleeding oil. Odd - oil is so clean!
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 15 2016, 10:31 AM
Post #893

Advanced Member

QUOTE(worn @ Jul 15 2016, 09:19 AM) *

Resurrecting an old thread, but to me this will truly finish the trip since I hope to drive the car more easily without bleeding oil. Odd - oil is so clean!

It is always nice to solve a problem on these cars!
+Quote Post

45 Pages V « < 43 44 45
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:35 AM