Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Restoration Design?
Foxman
post Mar 23 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,778

Hi all, first post here. I picked up two 914s over the weekend. A '74 2.0L and '72 1.8L. I will be restoring the '74 to drivable condition over the next month and the main problem at this point is the floor pans.

Now on to my questions about Restoration Design. Has anyone ever ordered directly from this company? I read good things about their floor pans and other replacement parts, so I ordered a front pan, back pan and the seat supports. The problem is I did that on Monday and have not heard anything from them, nor received any kind of confirmation for my order. I was wondering if maybe they are slow to fill orders? ShouldI go to Pelican parts and pay a little more there? Thanks for any advice.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Type 4
post Mar 23 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,866

Buying from pelican wont get your parts any faster.
Pelican stocks very little inventory.
They order parts in as needed to fill orders.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Mar 23 2005, 07:06 PM
Post #3

retired

Member No.: 313

Ive bought a few cars worth of panels from Restoration Design, and never had a problem with them.

You may hear differently from others..

Bill Frey is a very helpful guy, usually returns calls the next day, or later the same day!

Its a small shop, two man op I believe

have faith
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Mar 23 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #4

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE (TimT @ Mar 23 2005, 08:06 PM)
Ive bought a few cars worth of panels from Restoration Design, and never had a problem with them.

You may hear differently from others..

Bill Frey is a very helpful guy, usually returns calls the next day, or later the same day!

Its a small shop, two man op I believe

have faith

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
rhcb914
post Mar 23 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,626

I ordered jack posts and supports from them about 2 months ago. Never heard anything. I called and left repeated voice mail messages....Nothing. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
Ended up ordering the parts from Tweeks and had it with in 5 days.

Restoration Design may have great stuff but I have yet to see anything from them. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)

Needless to say I am not impressed. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
Foxman
post Mar 23 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (rhcb914 @ Mar 23 2005, 05:15 PM)
I ordered jack posts and supports from them about 2 months ago. Never heard anything. I called and left repeated voice mail messages....Nothing. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
Ended up ordering the parts from Tweeks and had it with in 5 days.

Restoration Design may have great stuff but I have yet to see anything from them. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)

Needless to say I am not impressed. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

I too have left two or three voicemails with no response. Maybe something is happening with them?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 23 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #7

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

They seem to recently be having some fulfilment problems. Bill had some health problems a couple of months ago. I've heard he's recovered, but the business still might be rushing to catch up.
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Mar 23 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #8

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

From what I understand you need to actually speak to someone directly to get your restoration design order out the door.

+Quote Post
william harris
post Mar 23 2005, 08:57 PM
Post #9

914 Restorer

Member No.: 1,539

Well this one caught my eye. As you may know, my car is in the body shop getting ready for paint now. Tried calling Restoration Design for about one week. Left several messages - no return phone calls. So thought I would fax in an order for the outer rocker covers I need. Fax received, no return call, credit card not charged, nothing. Called several times since then - still no return call, e-mail, etc. What the hell is going on. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mikey
post Mar 23 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 214
Region Association: None

I ordered floors and the battery tray and support from Restoration Design a couple of years ago. There was a delay with the battery tray and support but knew from the beginning that they would be delayed. Bill was always helpful and left phone messages several times with the status of my order. I'd say it was a more than satisfactory transaction and I would definitely do business with him again.

Just my 2 pfennigs.

+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 23 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #11

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 Posted on Mar 23 2005 @ 06:55 PM)
From what I understand you need to actually speak to someone directly to get your restoration design order out the door.

That has been my experience. I left a vm for Bill once and he returned it a couple of weeks later. In the meantime, I had already had a friend in Michigan drive over there, purchase the part, and ship it out to me (more or less, LOL). I have bought several pieces directly from RD, but I always just call 5-10 times during a business day until I get Bill to answer the phone. From there, rock solid service. Once you make a personal phone connection, you're in.
+Quote Post
Foxman
post Mar 23 2005, 09:24 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 23 2005, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 Posted on Mar 23 2005 @ 06:55 PM)

That has been my experience. I left a vm for Bill once and he returned it a couple of weeks later. In the meantime, I had already had a friend in Michigan drive over there, purchase the part, and ship it out to me (more or less, LOL). I have bought several pieces directly from RD, but I always just call 5-10 times during a business day until I get Bill to answer the phone. From there, rock solid service. Once you make a personal phone connection, you're in.

Making this connection seems to be the difficult part. It shouldn't take five or ten calls a day to get ahold of someone at a business. I will give them another day or two and then I will move on to tweeks to order from.
+Quote Post
drew365
post Mar 23 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #13

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

The 914 support community is a little fragile. It's not a volume business, so you have to put up with the quirks of dealing with mom and pop operations at times. My experience with RD is the same as others, several calls before getting Bill to answer. At that point the transaction becomes very straight forward. He may be going through difficulties, I hope he keeps it together, his parts are excellent.
+Quote Post
Foxman
post Mar 23 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (drew365 @ Mar 23 2005, 07:40 PM)
The 914 support community is a little fragile. It's not a volume business, so you have to put up with the quirks of dealing with mom and pop operations at times. My experience with RD is the same as others, several calls before getting Bill to answer. At that point the transaction becomes very straight forward. He may be going through difficulties, I hope he keeps it together, his parts are excellent.

You are right. I am coming out of a 350HP VW Jetta and I am used to parts from larger companies. I guess I need to adjust to the smaller community that exists around these fantastic cars. After all, smaller communities usually help and support each other more than larger ones. I will continue to try and contact the folks at Restoration design.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Mar 23 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #15

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I tried for several days, several times, several ways to contact/purchase from RD. Nothing. I even faxed them....never so much as a return call.

I finally bought floor pans from Perry, and had them the next day. Better product too...

+Quote Post
Foxman
post Mar 23 2005, 09:53 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 23 2005, 07:51 PM)
I tried for several days, several times, several ways to contact/purchase from RD. Nothing. I even faxed them....never so much as a return call.

I finally bought floor pans from Perry, and had them the next day. Better product too...

I am sorry. Who is Perry just for reference? I am looking to get this car going pretty quick to use a daily for now.
+Quote Post
Foxman
post Mar 23 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #17

Another question about these floorpans. Does the front pan come with the studs to mount the pedal assembly? Does the rear come with the seat hinges? If not how do I transplant these onto the new pans if mine are obliterated by rust? Thanks again.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 23 2005, 09:57 PM
Post #18

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (drew365 Posted: Mar 23 2005 @ 08:40 PM)

Very well said. I will always give my money to the smaller business if they can support my needs. I like to buy parts from folks that do it for the love of the marque. I really like to support club members that produce products for 914s. They aren't making a killing but if I can help them make a buck supporting 914's, then I'm all over it.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Mar 23 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #19

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE (Foxman @ Mar 23 2005, 10:55 PM)
Another question about these floorpans. Does the front pan come with the studs to mount the pedal assembly? Does the rear come with the seat hinges? If not how do I transplant these onto the new pans if mine are obliterated by rust? Thanks again.

I'll PM you the info...

Mine were left-right and came witht he pedal mounts AND the seat brackets.

Here's my Floor-Pan thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=24244

I take you step-by-step through the process...
+Quote Post
solex
post Mar 24 2005, 07:53 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,439
Region Association: North East States

I will be needing some parts in the near future and wonder if someone (willing) who lives by Restoration Design (RD) would approach Bill and propose handling fulfillment for RD for a percentage would be helpful. I have been reading comments and it appears that if you show up at RD the fulfillment process is very quick...

Thoughts?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:52 PM