Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> big progress recently,, filled the hole in the engine space with the right motor?
porschetub
post Aug 26 2016, 01:10 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Aug 27 2016, 03:15 AM) *

Very nice!

I'd opine that your throttle action will be a little wonky, as the geometry of your bellcrank at the transmission is different from a 914-6. It will probably work like you have it, but it won't be smooth as you are giving up some mechanical advantage off idle.

I've been around the block on this and found there's a reason the 6 bellcranks are different (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks Perry,know what you are saying,it works really well at this stage but I don't have a running engine,not worried if I have to change it later on.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 26 2016, 10:15 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

More work yesterday and spend a fair amount bouncing emails with Perry over the build of my engine loom...exciting stuff for me,another saga nearly over.
PITA really got one of my K&N's on but the other won't fit because of the engine being too far back,wish I could sort that but getting the carrier mount out isn't an option so it will be done on my friends hoist.
Very enjoyable to be working on the car but feel a bit guilty as I still have a fair list of finishing work to do on the house....no talking shit LOVE working on the car the other stuff can wait till early summer which is on its way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Gredit to Martin Baker again below;

Attached Image
Pic of one aircleaner thanks to a member on here for a great price for the pair and sorts out my is issue with the original air cleaner,have heard of these filters letting in a little too much grit so will get some foam outer wraps or similar as my road out is very dusty most of the year.
Mate has a turbo shop and he makes really nice foam ones so will head in that direction or import a set of Outerwears if they make them?.
Attached Image

More updates soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Until my loom arrives I will be finishing a few jobs on the oil tank lines and other area's.

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 26 2016, 10:57 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 27 2016, 12:36 AM) *

You are making very nice progress. Keep us posted and have fun.
Michael

Thanks Michael ,always praise coming from a real six owner...really,I kinda like the free scope I have on this car because I can hotrod it to what ever point I like without too much worry,its a mongrel after all but I have a strong sense of keeping some patina and not over doing it on new parts only wear items such as trim rubbers etc.
No intention to go to wide body (not my thing) but will get the rear arches pulled/sectioned for 8x16" after I get it going ,have a nice shiney set in a box stored away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) .
Have owned a bunch of cool cars in my time but the 914 to me is right up there and more.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 1 2016, 12:18 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

More done in the last few days,winter is on the way out the weather has been great,the winter was a non event really there was only about a month when it was colder.
Got my last oil line done for the tank return,will get that swaged next week,happy to have them hanging nicely with out over stressing the oil cooler or case scavenge pipe.
Got my fiberglass pods opened up for the speakers kinda tight getting 6.5's in there.
Attached Image

Went for the JBL 2-ways cause have used them in many cars before to good result.
Got my new door vent thingies from 914rubber and final got round to fitting them.....have now idea why I needed them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .
Attached Image

Perry has my engine loom done and it looks great,with a few features to get extra gauges working.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 1 2016, 01:31 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

loom pic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Attached Image

More tomorrow,brakes next and get my pedal height correct (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Sep 1 2016, 03:27 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Nice Dean, your 6 conversion almost done!
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 1 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 1 2016, 09:27 PM) *

Nice Dean, your 6 conversion almost done!

Thanks Noel,I need this car done and dusted before next year,and hope to have it running in a month or so......but said that last year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) .
I have a Hella highstop brake light mounted in the rear of the roof I had this working but needed a plug to remove the roof,deleted the coat hook and fitted one for want of a better solution for the meantime,it is however easy to use.
This highstop is required by the compliance Nazi's in my country,I also need separate engineering compliance for my motor swap, 944S2 brakes and m/cylinder and 16" wheels you guys in the USA have it easy really....trust me on that.
Attached Image
My doors have been striped and rebuilt and I noticed the adjustment in side the RH side door can anyone suggest if there is a set point measurement for this ??,the top of my quarter window could certainly come in a little closer to the roof side seal as compared to the LH side.
Anyone comment on this?
Attached Image

More to follow on a roll (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Garland
post Sep 1 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #48

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

On the door, none that i know of. Adjust away.
I did a hi mount lamp, heres the link 3rd lamp

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 1 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 2 2016, 01:57 PM) *

On the door, none that i know of. Adjust away.
I did a hi mount lamp, heres the link 3rd lamp

Cheers mine an older style Hella highstop,like what you did...great,a handy addition from a safety point of view.
Attached Image

Was referring to the quarter window being adjustable and thinking the frame would tilt inwards and outwards @ that lower point,otherwise it would be fixed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Will try it and see what happens ...no harm done afterall.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 16 2016, 01:08 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Got my engine loom yesterday and a big thank you to Perry,everything done right with my little extra's included.
Popped out my oil tank out last night and positioned the suction hose after several attempts even after marking location ....really got pissed off and all my torches seem to go flat one after the other....older and hopefully wiser I packed it in and finished it this morning,added some closed cell foam seals around the opening to seal them from road crap.
Oh forgot to mention the tank was perfectly clean inside and that has to be a real bonus.
Got the last of my fuel system done and fitted regulator and pressure gauge,out of the way but still serviceable.
Attached Image
ALL oil lines sorted now after dealing with a clown that damaged one of my fitting...don't even want to relate the story (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
Attached Image
Drilled and tapped the suction pipe jointer for a 1/8'' BSP drain plug,handy for oil changes.
More to follow .
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 16 2016, 01:32 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

As mentioned oil tank drain,would be be slow to drain but will do.
Attached Image
Found a local source of a high zinc oil for the motor,kinda an old school oil and recommended for this engine,Penrite is an Australian company and have used their oil to got result with some old BMW's I used to own.
Well all going well I may have it running soon .

+Quote Post
mlindner
post Sep 16 2016, 05:27 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 13,770

Porschetub, regarding window frame, turn the adjustment screw moving the frame to the outside (door skin) from picture you have plenty of thread.
The bottom frame going out will make the top of your frame go in and will fit against the rubber seal better. Best, Mark
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Sep 16 2016, 05:37 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 13,770

PS....they will always be out of adjustment when a door is stripped. The screws have to be screw in all the way to remove from door. Then when put back in they need to be move outward again. Just did this on my 914-6 GT build, lots of fun....Mark
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 16 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mlindner @ Sep 16 2016, 11:27 PM) *

Porschetub, regarding window frame, turn the adjustment screw moving the frame to the outside (door skin) from picture you have plenty of thread.
The bottom frame going out will make the top of your frame go in and will fit against the rubber seal better. Best, Mark

Thanks Mark,I didn't mention that but I made the adjustment and it worked great,window is now snug against the roof seal,cheers.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 20 2016, 12:59 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Done a bit lately ,fabricated a battery holder,stripped the top of the engine down to fit loom to the altenator and made up a battery to starter lead.

Lots of pissing around getting it right but my plan is to try to get it running then pull the engine and sort the front engine mount to get the engine forward in the car...I have a solution for that.

CDI unit tucked around the front side of the battery holder,gone for a compact battery which has enough punch.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 21 2016, 01:37 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Pushing along today cleaned up body earth connections at the battery and above gearbox ,hooked up starter connections and sorted earth (ground ) connections for CDI.
Hooked up starter/solenoid and reverse light wiring.
Carbs off for final settings and will leave air cleaners off for balancing air flow when I start it, if it runs ???,I tend to get worried about an unknown motor that I bought around 15+yrs ago but it was running then and all indications seem ok.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 22 2016, 02:22 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Mostly ahead on the job and its going well ,Perry has been top notch answering my silly questions....
Got oil pressure and oil temp wiring in today they are basically stand alone add on's but ran the wiring for the oil pressure thru the heater blower fan circuit as per Perrys excellent instructions,bridged terminals 9 and 11 from the 14pin relay board plug,looped and soldered and I have continuatity to the wire in the tunnel...good result.
Attached Image
Tapped a fitting into one of my aircleaners for fuel tank vent as I have deleted the expansion tank,trying to drop and unwanted weight from the car.
Attached Image
All care taken but my own silly fault ,had some cracks and was a little stretched at the top and then bang it broke .....next reply run out of pic space
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 22 2016, 02:53 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

End result is fixable,or just add it to the list of things to do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .
Attached Image.
Spend a lot of time cleaning up all ground points and did all connections by running dies down all the threads and was surprised how crappy they were.
Been a lot of work but prefer to do it once and and right.

+Quote Post
Dion
post Sep 22 2016, 08:03 AM
Post #59

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Cars coming along nicely. Well done. Taking heed to some of your methods.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 22 2016, 02:04 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dion @ Sep 23 2016, 02:03 AM) *

Cars coming along nicely. Well done. Taking heed to some of your methods.

Thanks I'am rough and slow and often redo stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) .
My shortlist;
Set up accelerator pumps on carbs and refit,
test fuel pump and check pressure setting for regulator,
finish resurfacing twisted valve covers,
reconnect oil tank return line,
recheck all oil line connections,
complete wiring for distributor,
wire up from tunnel to oil pressure gauge,
refit relay board,
lots of other small stuff...
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 07:34 PM