Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> sos.....Help, shift linkage problem
joeav8tor
post Mar 26 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,493

hi guys,
I am almost ready to drop the engine but I have a major problem.....when I moved the boot from the forward shifter rod nuckle...I found that the 4mm
allen screw was stripped, it even looked like the a piece of the allen key is broken off in there...any suggestions would be appreciated.....secondly...one tech article calls for removing the cone screw from the rear coupling (side shift xmsn)why is it necessary...ity seems that if and when I am able to get the forward cone screw out, that the shifter rod can be dropped with the motor...any thoughts...thanks for your help.
Joe
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Mar 26 2005, 11:38 AM
Post #2

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

Hi guy--A few people just went thru this not long ago--do a search and many threads will come up---in every case, the person had to become inventive--good luck!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 26 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

the rear set screw is easier to get to when the whole thing is up in the air, good time to check the rear shift rod cup bushing . sort of a pain when the engine is setting on the furniture dolly.

k
+Quote Post
ejm
post Mar 26 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #4

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224
Region Association: None

Last thread on this problem is HERE

Joe .. nice car you have there...you don't see that many on the island...yours gotta be the only one on the north fork...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
joeav8tor
post Mar 26 2005, 07:17 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,493

hi guys...thanks for the posts..lucky enough, I drilled the head of the cone head screw...the stuck allen key piece came out after lightly tapping it with a hammer, and then I was able to use a hex bit socket, there was enough meat to remove the screw....lucky! I ordered a new screw.
thanks again (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/flag.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif)
Joe
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 26 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #6

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Hmmm, I imagine the shift rod "could" be removed with the engine, but, you stand a good chance of screwing it up if you should happen to drop the engine on it during removal. The rear part of the rod is only attached by a small tack weld. Its kinda fragile.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 12:12 PM