Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sos.....Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
hi guys,
I am almost ready to drop the engine but I have a major problem.....when I moved the boot from the forward shifter rod nuckle...I found that the 4mm
allen screw was stripped, it even looked like the a piece of the allen key is broken off in there...any suggestions would be appreciated.....secondly...one tech article calls for removing the cone screw from the rear coupling (side shift xmsn)why is it necessary...ity seems that if and when I am able to get the forward cone screw out, that the shifter rod can be dropped with the motor...any thoughts...thanks for your help.
Joe
jwalters
Hi guy--A few people just went thru this not long ago--do a search and many threads will come up---in every case, the person had to become inventive--good luck!
rhodyguy
the rear set screw is easier to get to when the whole thing is up in the air, good time to check the rear shift rod cup bushing . sort of a pain when the engine is setting on the furniture dolly.

k
ejm
Last thread on this problem is HERE

Joe .. nice car you have there...you don't see that many on the island...yours gotta be the only one on the north fork...
joeav8tor
hi guys...thanks for the posts..lucky enough, I drilled the head of the cone head screw...the stuck allen key piece came out after lightly tapping it with a hammer, and then I was able to use a hex bit socket, there was enough meat to remove the screw....lucky! I ordered a new screw.
thanks again flag.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
Joe
TheCabinetmaker
Hmmm, I imagine the shift rod "could" be removed with the engine, but, you stand a good chance of screwing it up if you should happen to drop the engine on it during removal. The rear part of the rod is only attached by a small tack weld. Its kinda fragile.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.