Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Auto Atlanta, Wrong stuff
DBCooper
post Jul 14 2016, 10:21 AM
Post #61

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 14 2016, 07:58 AM) *

Frank, not quite sure what you mean by "ultra expensive carriers".

He's talking about overseas shipments, which are a little different. When U.S. commercial goods arrive into some countries they need a formal clearance through customs, and that customs broker's fee is added to the shipping cost. I haven't been overseas for a while and every country is different, but DHL, for example, charged $45 for a large envelope, plus another automatic $65 for customs clearance, paid by the recipient.

That's obviously painful for someone buying some small parts, especially if an inconsiderate seller sends them in three separate shipments. An envelope with the same parts sent USPS would cost maybe $12-15 to send and have the customs information on the form the sender filled out so the receiver could pick it up without involving a broker for maybe a $15 tariff if the customs charge wasn't waived altogether. I used DHL as an example because it's Deutsche Post so was favored by my German colleagues, UPS and FEDEX aren't as bad but are similar.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Jul 14 2016, 10:31 AM
Post #62

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

"Frank, not quite sure what you mean by "ultra expensive carriers" "

Ok...does below pic make sense ? that is what I mean....
It is an example, not a real order, I just clicked in the shop 2 products to show you the "ultra expensive carrier" remark I made.
So, to avoid misunderstanding : this is not about the shop involved, not the products, not the prices...I like that part......

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 14 2016, 11:04 AM
Post #63

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I just shipped to Sweden. FedEx wanted $175. USPS cost $45. It really depends. I think if your overseas, you have to touch base with the vendor and make sure they work with you. I'm sure Mark at 914rubber would.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jul 14 2016, 11:19 AM
Post #64

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jul 14 2016, 11:31 AM) *

"Frank, not quite sure what you mean by "ultra expensive carriers" "

Ok...does below pic make sense ? that is what I mean....
It is an example, not a real order, I just clicked in the shop 2 products to show you the "ultra expensive carrier" remark I made.
So, to avoid misunderstanding : this is not about the shop involved, not the products, not the prices...I like that part......

Attached Image

Shipping rates have gone way up over the past year (domestic & international). I sell used parts and ship all over the world.

Example: Shipping a small flat rate USPS box to Germany with a $40 part in it costs $33.95. That is not marked up, actual price from USPS I just printed the label 5 minutes ago.

Same package here in the states is $6.35 - That same package in 2015 was $5.60

Shipped a steering wheel priority mail insured to Australia and it cost $84.50

That seems crazy to me, but that is the charge.

I'm a one man band, so I make no markup on shipping, but if I had to pay employees (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jul 14 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #65

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 14 2016, 12:04 PM) *

I just shipped to Sweden. FedEx wanted $175. USPS cost $45. It really depends. I think if your overseas, you have to touch base with the vendor and make sure they work with you. I'm sure Mark at 914rubber would.

I would bet FedEx is used because of their ability to track the package every step of the way to the customer. I agree I use USPS priority mail for 90% of what I ship, but for big items or big $$ items I use fedex because I can track the package better.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 14 2016, 11:43 AM
Post #66

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jul 14 2016, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 14 2016, 12:04 PM) *

I would bet FedEx is used because of their ability to track the package every step of the way to the customer. I agree I use USPS priority mail for 90% of what I ship, but for big items or big $$ items I use fedex because I can track the package better.

I agree. Depends on the value of the part and what the customer wants.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 14 2016, 11:49 AM
Post #67

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

priority flat rate USPS (that's the acronym for the post office frank) whether national or international is more cost effective IF parts fit IN the box.

pricing example: i don't know if 'zone' based pricing would apply but here's an example. USPS flat rate international for a small box, which your items would fit in, is $23.70 for "commercial based" shipping and $24.95 for 'post office' in store. those #s might change a bit but they should be well in the ballpark. i think that's more than reasonable considering the distance. USPS got with the program and includes tracking #s at no additional cost.

upside for sellers is the boxes are FREE, estimating the shipping is fast and there's no surprises after the buyer sees his billing statement.
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Jul 14 2016, 12:06 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jul 14 2016, 05:31 PM) *

Attached Image

Thanks Frank,

This illustrates my frustration too. We have little choice on the international shipping method for parts as it's an online default "Hobsons Choice"

In Franks example let say they sent me just the $12 part first with the $83 shipping. When it arrives in UK we have to pay 20% import duty on the whole price so that would be another $20 or so, then we have a handling and clearance fee that's another $12, so my $12 part cost me $130!
Then they sent me the $9 part a month later at another $127. The two items worth $21 cost $257......see how it works?

Now in my case I had 3 small value items from AA, that were about $40 in total, but sending them in 3 separate shipments meant I ended up paying almost $400 as I was hit each time by 3 x shipping and import charges.

On placing my initial order I accepted I'd have to pay $83 shipping to get my $40 parts with $30 import. That was what I accepted was going to happen.
NOT 3 shipments out of my control with them simply repeatedly charging my credit card each time without my authority.

This is a completely separate issue to the AA parts being poorly made and broken. One was a 2.0 badge for the rear with fixing pins molded in the wrong place to fit the holes in the car!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 14 2016, 12:16 PM
Post #69

that's why many owners avoid ** like a plague carrying rat. your experience is more the norm than the exception. back in the early 90's one order from ** contained fuel injectors for a 930. i called, told someone about the error and offered to send them back for the shipping. a faceless voice was very pleased and agreed. i sent them back and never heard a peep or received compensation. pre-internet days when a paper catalog was king. it would be nice if invoices showed the ACTUAL shipping charges and ANY handling charges separately rather than lumping them together.
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Jul 14 2016, 12:19 PM
Post #70

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

I regularly sell posters to Europe. My cost shipping by USPS is $24.50. Less than 16oz. in a 20"x3" cardboard tube.

The value of the contents can be anything....shipping is still $24.50. Remember stuf going overseas has to go through Customs.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Jul 14 2016, 01:11 PM
Post #71

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Well....
"Remember stuf going overseas has to go through Customs "
In case you do FedEx or like that it will go through customs since they do a tracked delivery through customs. If you get something through USPS and mark it as GIFT on the outside, you have like 80% chance you just get it without customs involved (in Holland that is). Plus anything send under 20 dollar will be tax-free anyway but then the value has to be mentioned on the outside.... (rules and regulations all over the place)

Some vendors do free-shipping in US. I use that and have it send to a friend in USA east coast. They will resend with USPS or something similar to me.
I did ask two vendors (mentioned in these posts) about other possibilities like USPS to send me stuff, but still waiting for a reply mail back......for weeks already....

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 14 2016, 01:18 PM
Post #72

Use the friend method and be done with it. I was under the impression using USPS streamlined the customs timeline incurred when using other carriers. I might be mistaken on that one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 14 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #73

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 14 2016, 12:51 AM) *
Just out of interest, are AA anything to do with a company called Mr Fiat in Atlanta?

I believe it is, or was, the very same people. Also some kind of "??? Brothers" company (I forget the name though) that also sold car parts. And did not have a good reputation.

--DD
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 14 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #74

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 14 2016, 10:58 AM) *

Frank, not quite sure what you mean by "ultra expensive carriers". For the most part there are 3 players in the game in the states. FedEx, UPS and USPS. There are account and retail rates for FedEx and I imagine UPS ( I will not ship anything UPS). The dif is an extra profit on shipping in the sellers pocket if they're billing 'retail'? If there is a 'handling' charge that's just some extra gravy. AA is KNOWN! to employ the handling fee. Short or items back ordered? Extra spoonfuls of gravy everytime. Hobbyist part hustlers don't have the same options and we don't determine shipping rates. Which by the way, have seemed to have spiked again.

UPS & FedEx just went up again! Big Fee on oversized items
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 14 2016, 06:05 PM
Post #75

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

They can't blame it on gas prices! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 14 2016, 06:06 PM
Post #76

I used the online calculator (knew it was wrong) then called fedex and got a slightly better rate. Buyer was ok with the second one. Long story short the actual price at the distribution center was lower yet.

To save a sale you spend time cutting down/making box so it's 1" under the oversize limit and maintain the clearense on all 6 sides. But you don't get to tack on a handling charge. Hustling parts is not the path to easy money.
+Quote Post
catsltd
post Jul 14 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 18,814

All parts places have there screw ups.

Thanks Pelican for sending me 4 exhaust manifold stud bolts for god knows what kind of car.

So I am driving around for 3 hours trying to find the special bolts that go onto the studs,and another 2 hours trying to remove the old ones that are seized so bad,they pulled the studs out rather than come loose.

Auto Atlanta sent me Gummy bears with my last order,so they are in my good books once again.

Seems very few parts places bother to update there list of in stock product,Until After I place my order.
Thats the real problem.

Sorry I did not read any of this thread,just wanted to vent about my transmission job being on hold while I try to find the right Bloody nuts.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 14 2016, 10:17 PM
Post #78

914-6 GT in waiting

I'm spoiled by our wholesale parts vendors. Same day or overnight delivery - no charge. Returns - no problem, return shipping - no charge. Weekly calls to check up and make sure I'm happy. They know how to treat a customer.
+Quote Post
Old Yella
post Jul 15 2016, 02:30 AM
Post #79

Old Yella

Member No.: 16,086
Region Association: Southwest Region

I just got an order from AA. All the way Georgia USA to Australia, no hassles, two weeks, was told when the order went through, when the order was sent, got some gummy bears, got a note that said if anything was not to my satisfaction call them. What's the problem, shit happens--I don't know the man but I do appreciate the repro rear lenses at a quarter of the price of Hella NOS. You guys are lucky, just send the stuff back it only takes a couple of days. We pay as much for the postage as it is for some of the parts.

Still waiting for the Rebel Racing items ordered on the same day. WTF.

I've also had to wait weeks for parts from two of our favourite suppliers, who also got the orders mixed up and in one case charged for parts I didn't get. But whoa--don't dish out on them.

+Quote Post
Old Yella
post Jul 15 2016, 02:49 AM
Post #80

Old Yella

Member No.: 16,086
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bugger posted twice
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 10:34 AM