Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> refinishing the inside of the gas tank, what the renue it guy said.
buck toenges
post Jul 26 2016, 02:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

on a recent post a guy was getting the inside of the gas tank "Renue". I call up my nearest Renue guy and showed him my tank. He said he would have to cut up the tank in order to get to all the places in the tank. He said to get to all the baffles and under the pan he would have to cut holes in the tank. I read where a guy mention a product called caswell plating kit for gas tanks. I made a electrode and used vinegar and a battery to collect the rust. Can I use a slosh and swirl product like caswell to do a good job or does the venue guy have it right?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Jul 26 2016, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 107

Buck....
yes there is a baffle mid line in the tank to stop slosh weight trasfer from left to right in the tank....also a round baffle around the fuel line pick up / return holes

how bad is your tank?
try cleaning your tank first....

I have had good luck over the years using muratic acid to wash out the inside of many fuel tanks.....
it will eat the rust off and leave the inside very clean.
You just have to be very careful using it....very corrosive and will burn your skin....so safety precautions need to be in place...
take all the fittings off the tank and plug up the fuel line holes....pour in and slosh around....rinse out with lots of water....

I have tried sealers and they just don't seem to work very well...

really best to find another tank if yours is so bad with pin holes and lots of rust....

+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jul 26 2016, 04:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had Gas Tank Renu do my tank.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c2.staticflickr.com-19709-1469570713.1.jpg)

Easily worth it. Nice to have something I'll never have to worry about. If they did cut holes in the tank, they welded them flush so that I can't tell. Outside looks like a brand new tank, inside too. Lifetime warranty too.

I started down the route of cleaning mine out myself, but it was a major pain, and then you get to try and dispose of chemicals.
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jul 26 2016, 05:02 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

Use phosphoric acid, sold at Home depot as concrete etch, usually by the concrete stains. . It's a green liquid and is around $12 a gallon. . It also converts rust as well as cleans. . leaves your tank shiny like new. . It's the active ingredient in Rust-X and other rust treatments.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 26 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I just cleaned two rusty motorcycle tanks worth about $800/each. I filled them to the top with apple cider vinager. Put the cap on and let them sit for 2 weeks. Then I rinsed them out with water and baking soda to neutralize the vinager. The inside of the tank looks like new metal. I rinsed it with marval mystery oil to keep it from rusting.

The vinager takes a bit longer than other chemicals but I can keep the tanks sitting in my garage and then pour the used vinager in the woods without any hazmat issues or complaints from the wife.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 26 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 26 2016, 10:26 PM) *

I just cleaned two rusty motorcycle tanks worth about $800/each. I filled them to the top with apple cider vinager. Put the cap on and let them sit for 2 weeks. Then I rinsed them out with water and baking soda to neutralize the vinager. The inside of the tank looks like new metal. I rinsed it with marval mystery oil to keep it from rusting.

The vinager takes a bit longer than other chemicals but I can keep the tanks sitting in my garage and then pour the used vinager in the woods without any hazmat issues or complaints from the wife.

I am starting to believe that apple cider vinegar is one of the magical lost secrets of our time. I am on a quest to reduce salt in my diet and apple cider vinegar keeps coming up as the substitute, and it does a good job for many of the functions of salt.

Amazing it removes rust too.

Rich
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 26 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Apple cider vinegar is an almost instant cure for leg cramps. Sorry for the highjack. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 26 2016, 09:30 PM
Post #8

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Gallstones and cholesterol if you want to drink it straight.....

It's magic.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jul 26 2016, 10:35 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Gallstones, gas tanks, leg spasms, sugar substitute, rusty hardware, chicken salad,
where will it end ?
Seriously though, at less than a buck a gallon you can fill a trash can half way and practically renew all your brackets, hardware,wheels etc.etc.
Removes rust but not paint.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Jul 27 2016, 03:38 AM
Post #10

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Apple Cider Vinegar is the way to go. I've done several tanks.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 27 2016, 05:40 AM
Post #11

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Where do you guys purchase 16 gallons of Apple Cider Vinegar from? Our small town IGA sells the stuff in 32oz bottles for like $5 a pop!

That would be 64 bottles at $320 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Not mention the fuel driving to 3 to 5 towns to corner all the Apple Cider Vinegar market.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 27 2016, 07:00 AM
Post #12

914-6 GT in waiting

I get 1 gallon jugs at the market for $2..
So each moto tank cost me about $10.
A 914 tank would cost me $50 if I needed to fill to the top but it would mean no cutting of the tank. Lots of tanks are just rusty at the bottom.

Bigger super market maybe?
Not the only way, just works for me.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jul 27 2016, 07:12 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,743

Just fill it halfway, let it sit for a while and then flip it over. Or do it in thirds... I used the electrolysis method to remove most of the rust, been debating how to finish it off... Might try this vinegar thing...
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 27 2016, 08:53 AM
Post #14

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Jul 26 2016, 12:21 PM) *

on a recent post a guy was getting the inside of the gas tank "Renue". I call up my nearest Renue guy and showed him my tank. He said he would have to cut up the tank in order to get to all the places in the tank. He said to get to all the baffles and under the pan he would have to cut holes in the tank. I read where a guy mention a product called caswell plating kit for gas tanks. I made a electrode and used vinegar and a battery to collect the rust. Can I use a slosh and swirl product like caswell to do a good job or does the venue guy have it right?

I used phosphoric acid and in another tank I used an organic based stuff that went for about $25 per gallon. Diluted with water you can fill the tank. I made seals at all the ends and then left the tank in the sun. Looked like a dead seal on the lawn.

Then I put the tank on a rotisserie filled with chain bolts big nuts and WD-40 and turned it with a slow gear motor. Or a drill. Makes a hell of a noise. I count the pieces as I put them in and take them out.

The results have been spectacular, but I cannot find the photos. I distust any organic liner on the steel because it could start peeling off. Not that I know of such an instance, but I have never seen a truly permanent paint. This is surrounded by gasoline.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jul 27 2016, 11:06 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 11,639

GasTank Renu did mine following the procedure you outlined. Once they make the cutout(s) they supposedly also media blast the inside before chemical treatment the claim being that it gives a better surface for the sealant to adhere to. They weld the cutouts back in place and also coat the outside of the tank with a material that feels like hardened undercoating. I had them leave the exterior top of the tank unfinished and just hit that with black paint.

I did not want to deal with all the nasty chemicals and wanted to minimize chance of the interior coating peeling. They seemed to do a vary thorough job. I only had it done last year so can not speak to long term durability.

I also agree that if you are just cleaning up the tank, probably best to leave it uncoated. However, if metal is thin or there are pinholes you may have no choice. Avoid ethanol fuel if you can, that is the root cause of many failed tanks.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jul 27 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #16

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 27 2016, 03:40 AM) *

Where do you guys purchase 16 gallons of Apple Cider Vinegar from? Our small town IGA sells the stuff in 32oz bottles for like $5 a pop!

That would be 64 bottles at $320 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Not mention the fuel driving to 3 to 5 towns to corner all the Apple Cider Vinegar market.

I was wondering the same thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

So I stopped at a Walmart. They sell their brand apple cider vinegar for about $4.00/gallon and their brand white vinegar for about $2.50/gallon. Is white vinegar an acceptable substitute for apple cider vinegar? The vinegar container labels don't say anything about fuel tank rust removal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Let's see:
17gal x $2.50/gal = $42.50
17gal x $4.00/gal = $68.00

Not too bad I guess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Jul 27 2016, 03:12 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 107

used tank

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=286706
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Jul 27 2016, 03:53 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,388

So I don't need to coat the inside of the tank after it is cleaned? I sort of like the coating with the marvel mystery oil. Does the mystery oil affect the gas?
Buck
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 27 2016, 05:37 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Jul 27 2016, 05:53 PM) *

So I don't need to coat the inside of the tank after it is cleaned? I sort of like the coating with the marvel mystery oil. Does the mystery oil affect the gas?
Buck

It's fine to put a little bit in the gas with our cars.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Jul 27 2016, 06:08 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 26 2016, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 26 2016, 10:26 PM) *

I am starting to believe that apple cider vinegar is one of the magical lost secrets of our time. I am on a quest to reduce salt in my diet and apple cider vinegar keeps coming up as the substitute, and it does a good job for many of the functions of salt.

Amazing it removes rust too.

Rich

ACV is called the "Mother" for various reasons. Besides industrial uses and salad dressing it is clearly magical. Its been used for thousands of years. Its good for the blood, balances insulin levels, balances electrolytes (sodium) , works on indigestion, add Vit C and it will cure scurvy, gets rid of pet urine smell, women use it for yeast infections but will never admit they have the bread thing, use in place of shampoo and hair will never get dry, works great on sunburn (I know), sore throat, foot fungus, post exertional workout as it breaks up lactic acid.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:06 PM