Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hot Summer; Hot, Overheating V-8 Radiator Setup., Hot Summer; Hot, Overheating V-8 Radiator Setup.
Chris914n6
post Aug 24 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #81

Jackstands are my life.

Group: Members
Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have a couple of those from ebay. Ask them what part they got the measurement from because it's been inconsistent. Sometimes its the clamp area, sometimes its the lip.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 24 2016, 09:59 PM
Post #82

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Aug 24 2016, 03:50 PM) *

Almost ready to take things apart one more time. So how crucial is it to use wye connectors versus Tee connectors? I spotted these on amazon (see picture):

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Temp-Joint-Pip...+Sensor+Adapter

And it would be much easier (and cheaper) for me to install the correct sized NPT barbed nipple to this adapter versus getting a custom wye connector.

I found it much easier for me to get stainless pipe the diameter I needed, weld up the connections I needed. I welded up quite a bit more than I thought I would and actually want to do more. It was simple with stainless wire and a mig.
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Aug 28 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #83

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Slowly progressing.

Quick question; which part of expansion tank must be above the block (t-stat?)... the bottom (low pressure) hose or the upper (high pressure) hose? Does it matter much Death Star or Passat expansion tank?

Attached Image
Attached Image

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 24 2016, 09:59 PM) *

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Aug 24 2016, 03:50 PM) *

Almost ready to take things apart one more time. So how crucial is it to use wye connectors versus Tee connectors? I spotted these on amazon (see picture):

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Temp-Joint-Pip...+Sensor+Adapter

And it would be much easier (and cheaper) for me to install the correct sized NPT barbed nipple to this adapter versus getting a custom wye connector.

I found it much easier for me to get stainless pipe the diameter I needed, weld up the connections I needed. I welded up quite a bit more than I thought I would and actually want to do more. It was simple with stainless wire and a mig.

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 28 2016, 04:41 PM
Post #84

Spooling.... Please wait

That upper hose. Either of those mounted in that position will work. I prefer the non rounded version, but they do fail occasionally. Thats what I run.
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Aug 28 2016, 05:33 PM
Post #85

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

Not less than N.
The method to calculate the size of cooling system expansion tanks,and the 'why' of the radiator having a smaller return hose.
The total volume of the system is larger than a pickup or van,so,not less than the size of tanks installed in them.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/volumetr...sion-d_315.html

A small 4 cylinder's expansion tank is smaller for that reason,not equal,not the same size as a pickup's V8 tank.
Placing the tank below the head is ok,in a pinch,as the level is controlled by the pressure cap,tho level is desirable.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
/
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Sep 18 2016, 05:58 PM
Post #86

Here is a picture of the completed setup. Still trying to get the air out of the system. Loosened the petcock on the top side of the rad and nothing... no air and no fluid. Pictures do not show the addition of a overflow tank placed in the trunk.

So; if I do not have a vacuum pump... what is the best way to purge the system of all air?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 18 2016, 10:46 PM
Post #87

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Sep 18 2016, 04:58 PM) *

Here is a picture of the completed setup. Still trying to get the air out of the system. Loosened the petcock on the top side of the rad and nothing... no air and no fluid. Pictures do not show the addition of a overflow tank placed in the trunk.

So; if I do not have a vacuum pump... what is the best way to purge the system of all air?

Attached Image

Engine should be running. Hot air/water makes its way to the top thin line and feeds its way to the reservoir. Then your large line is your feed back into the cold side of the coolant line.

Basically running the engine will purge the system, aka self purging.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 19 2016, 12:16 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes just fill the system up and run it through a couple of heat cycles. Make sure it's all sealed up so that the system is pressurized. Put the blue cap on and make sure all the hoses are attached just like it would be if the car was 100% ready to drive. Although it may seem logical to leave a line open, it keeps the system from forcing the air out. Rev it a few times the first time to make sure your thermostat opens and feel the line going to the radiator to make sure they are hot. Watch the temp needle (at least the first time) for spikes in case you have a big air pocket. Get the engine up to temp and then shut it off. Then..(the hard part)....leave it alone and let it cool off completely. When you check the coolant the level should be down a quart or so. Maybe more. A couple more like that and you should be good. In fact once you know that you don't have any serious bubbles you can drive it around a block or two. Then very quickly you won't have to add any. BTW I never got anything out of my radiator bleeder either. Probably would now but the system is bled.
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Sep 28 2016, 11:26 AM
Post #89

An update (pictures to follow);

I have the system all together and I thought it was going well. I took it for a drive at around dusk where the ambient temperature was 67 degrees and the car only got up to around 190 degrees. This is a marked improvement considering that in the past; even on a 40 degree day, the engine temp would go past 200. Well; last night, I let it idle in the garage to see what would happen and it overheated. I mean the temp got up to around 230 and the coolant was boiling over in the overflow tank. Also the fan never came on (it is supposed to come on at 180). I did check and the fan does work. I shut it down immediately and let it cool off. As it cooled, it sucked up the coolant out of the overflow tank and back into the expansion tank and engine.

Prior to this; I tried to bleed the system. I lifted the rear end which lowered the rad and I did end up getting fluid to come out of the rad bleed petcock (upper corner of rad). I also mended the holes I drilled in the rad shroud.
After the boiling coolant episode, I noticed that no coolant was coming out of the rad bleeder.

I do have a setup where lines are coming off the main rad hoses and going to a heater core for cabin heat, and the day I took it out; I had good heat in the car too.

How much air can be in this system? The temp sensor for the fan is located by the t-stat. Is the reason that the fan did not come on because of an air pocket located by the temp sensor? I guess I really need to understand how the vacuum/manometer etc… system works and how to set one up for my system.

Any other suggestions?

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 19 2016, 12:16 PM) *

Yes just fill the system up and run it through a couple of heat cycles. Make sure it's all sealed up so that the system is pressurized. Put the blue cap on and make sure all the hoses are attached just like it would be if the car was 100% ready to drive. Although it may seem logical to leave a line open, it keeps the system from forcing the air out. Rev it a few times the first time to make sure your thermostat opens and feel the line going to the radiator to make sure they are hot. Watch the temp needle (at least the first time) for spikes in case you have a big air pocket. Get the engine up to temp and then shut it off. Then..(the hard part)....leave it alone and let it cool off completely. When you check the coolant the level should be down a quart or so. Maybe more. A couple more like that and you should be good. In fact once you know that you don't have any serious bubbles you can drive it around a block or two. Then very quickly you won't have to add any. BTW I never got anything out of my radiator bleeder either. Probably would now but the system is bled.
+Quote Post
v82go
post Sep 29 2016, 07:32 AM
Post #90

Resident Contrarian

Member No.: 3,250

Do you have a manual over-ride switch for your fan ?

On my system I have a manual switch for the fans, I usually turn on the fans when the temp reaches 180 degrees

I would install a on/off switch to control your fan, refill the system, start and bleed the system again.

You must have a running fan when stationary.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 29 2016, 07:52 AM
Post #91

Spooling.... Please wait

Put one of these powering a 12ga wire and a relay to control your fans. Put the probe in the radiator fins.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K75QRZA/r...&ref=plSrch

You need to have the system purge a couple times in order for the expansion tank to functuon correctly.
+Quote Post
socal1200r
post Sep 29 2016, 08:05 AM
Post #92

Member No.: 20,432
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I had similar overheating issues with a 2000 Sonoma with an LT4 and T56 swap. It sounds like you've tried numerous times to "purge" the system of any air, and it may not be that now that you've done it a few times. I would install a manual switch to turn the fans on remotely, independent of the t-stat. I would also replace the t-stat with a new one, to eliminate that as the source. Lastly, I would take it somewhere to get it professionally pressure flushed. How's the water pump? Is it up to the task of pulling in and pushing out coolant all that distance from the engine to the front of the car and back?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 29 2016, 08:17 AM
Post #93

Spooling.... Please wait

Quick question. How fast is it getting up to temp? Do you have a thermostat? Do you have holes in your thermostat? How new is your water pump?
+Quote Post
cali914
post Sep 29 2016, 08:28 AM
Post #94

cali914

Member No.: 5,934

Man with all the money and time your spending get a renegade Ron Davis radiator and call it. You are trying to reinvent the wheel. I did that ten years ago three different water pumps three different radiators hole in the hood, hole in the bottom of trunk compartment, cut open the fenders and kept having the same problem. I purchased the Ron Davis Radiator hooked up a Meizere 55gm water pump and never got above 195 on a hot day. 160 to 180 all day most days. Also if you do that you eliminate the main cooling factor from. The equation. So if your still overheating after that fix you have a better chance of isolating the problem. I'm using the same radiator with my 3.5 v6 Honda engine and its less horsepower but stays at 170- 180 all day with a 180 degree thermostatAttached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
v82go
post Sep 29 2016, 09:13 AM
Post #95

Resident Contrarian

Member No.: 3,250

One more note/

I would remove the thermostat and use my manual fan switch for warm ups.

I tried a 160 degree thermostat (with holes) on mine it would not open as it was suppose to. May have been defective, but with it removed I don't worry about it.

My engine with fans off will come to temp fairly quick except in the dead of winter .
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Sep 29 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #96

I do have a manual switch. It is located on the center console, to the right of the temp gauge. It also has a 160 degree t-stat installed with many small holes drilled around the flat surface. I am trying to avoid going to an electric water pump, but it is heading that way, it seems. I think I will remove the t-stat and replace it with a re-stricter washer and see what happens.

Attached Image

Oh what the heck... here is a picture of the interior; complete with Fiat X-19 arm rests!

Attached Image

[q1uote name='v82go' date='Sep 29 2016, 09:13 AM' post='2404724']
One more note/

I would remove the thermostat and use my manual fan switch for warm ups.

I tried a 160 degree thermostat (with holes) on mine it would not open as it was suppose to. May have been defective, but with it removed I don't worry about it.

My engine with fans off will come to temp fairly quick except in the dead of winter .
[/quote]
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 29 2016, 08:28 PM
Post #97

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

When is the last time you replace your water pump? V8 conversions us a big block Mopar pump and they do go bad. Most of them are stamped steel impellers and I've seen these blades break off and or corrode.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Sep 29 2016, 08:33 PM
Post #98

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

hum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 29 2016, 07:28 PM) *

When is the last time you replace your water pump? V8 conversions us a big block Mopar pump and they do go bad. Most of them are stamped steel impellers and I've seen these blades break off and or corrode.

+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Sep 29 2016, 09:03 PM
Post #99

God, if I have to take apart the water pump one more time! I can tell you I bought a rebuilt unit from a chap on this forum a few years ago and I am quite certain it has steel impellers. There has to be a way to know the pump is working correctly without taking it all apart!

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 29 2016, 08:28 PM) *

+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Sep 29 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #100

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 29 2016, 07:28 PM) *

Are the high quality electric pumps good enough to remove those big block Mopar pumps?
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:50 AM