Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB ravenna green car, wifey wants one - and now HAS one!
iankarr
post Aug 28 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #1

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Far be it from me to deny my wife a 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

She loves Ravenna Green. I'm open to everything from a fully sorted car at a "no questions" price to one that needs work...as long as the longs are solid and the car doesn't need serious welding.

Would also consider a trade of my 73 2056 which has been totally restored. Thanks...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Beach914
post Aug 28 2016, 09:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,519
Region Association: Southern California

No affiliation but there's one on Craigslist orange county for $17k.

On my notebook and it's a pain to paste the link sorry.
+Quote Post
PancakePorsche
post Aug 29 2016, 12:12 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,373
Region Association: None

Awesome color and very, very rare. Alot of the rare few got changed when the bright colors fell out of fashion so check those paint I.D. plates for L65K.

Gotta be real patient to find one. Hope you do !
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Aug 29 2016, 12:44 PM
Post #4

Thanks guys...

I had a fellow 914world member do a PPI on the CL car Beach mentioned in OC. It's shows nice in pics, but has some issues in person. Seems overpriced for the current condition and the owner doesn't want to budge from 17K. Here's what I learned. I'd love to hear if you agree.

– The owner (who btw says he's never heard of 914world) was unwilling to let us take the rocker covers off and inspect the longs. The hell hole and underside appear ok, but not being able to look at the longs with a 17K price tag is scary.

– The passenger door has been repainted and is way (way) off from the rest of the car. My painter tells me it's difficult to match Ravenna Green since it's so neon. The rest of car is wearing a second coat, but there's a lot of crazing and chips. Need to factor in a blast and repaint.

– Seems there's a smell of raw gas in the car. I asked if the plastic fuel lines had been replaced and he didn't give a clear answer, so I guess not. My inspector didn't want to test drive the car with the gas smell, so I don't know how it drives or stops.

– Although the interior looks good, the dash has been recovered and there's rips in the driver seat.

– Lots of little things like a chipped windshield, bent trim, age-cracked tires, dryer hose and non-standard stuff in the engine compartment, FI issues (hunting during idle).

Given those things, what do you think the car is worth? Not that it matters since the owner is standing firm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif).
+Quote Post
87m491
post Aug 29 2016, 01:37 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

Hard to think the rockers haven't already been off at some point in the cars life. Most are then reattached with screws so I would think easy to take off. If riveted I might say no too. The underside shown looks nice, though the ski racks would have me looking closely....
I think I see some discolored plastic fuel lines in one engine bay shot (hard to tell could be treated metal), so I'd guess an old line leaking somewhere between the tank and front bulk head or possibly the in cockpit plastic lines.
Can't make out if it has the front and rear sways to go with the chrome and center console.
Ad sure is light on details, I'd sure like to see some records at that price as well....

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Aug 29 2016, 10:44 AM) *

Thanks guys...

I had a fellow 914world member do a PPI on the CL car Beach mentioned in OC. It's shows nice in pics, but has some issues in person. Seems overpriced for the current condition and the owner doesn't want to budge from 17K. Here's what I learned. I'd love to hear if you agree.

– The owner (who btw says he's never heard of 914world) was unwilling to let us take the rocker covers off and inspect the longs. The hell hole and underside appear ok, but not being able to look at the longs with a 17K price tag is scary.

– The passenger door has been repainted and is way off from the rest of the car. My painter tells me it's difficult to match Ravenna Green since it's so neon. The rest of car is wearing a second coat, but there's a lot of crazing and chips. Need to factor in a blast and repaint.

– Seems there's a smell of raw gas in the car. I asked if the plastic fuel lines had been replaced and he didn't give a clear answer, so I guess not. My inspector didn't want to test drive the car with the gas smell, so I don't know how it drives or stops.

– Although the interior looks good, the dash has been recovered and there's rips in the driver seat.

– Lots of little things like a chipped windshield, bent trim, age-cracked tires, dryer hose and non-standard stuff in the engine compartment, FI issues (hunting during idle).

Given those things, what do you think the car is worth? Not that it matters since the owner is standing firm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif).
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Aug 29 2016, 01:51 PM
Post #6

I'm told the rockers were just screwed in. The response from the owner was...

"the car is 43 years old and the rockers are the same age and in the same condition as the car." Strange answer, especially since the owner says he's owned a few 914s and should understand the importance of that spot.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 29 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Not $17k. Maybe 1/2 that. Maybe...
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Aug 29 2016, 02:04 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 29 2016, 04:00 PM) *

Interesting...your estimate is a little lower than mine was. Curious how you came to that...

Just noticed that the CL ad conveniently doesn't show the (very) mismatched door.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 29 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #9

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I would be at $10K tops. Now if the owner were to cooperate and allow a thorough PPI with rockers off, up in the air, etc., the price would rise accordingly. However I would still not be at $17K. But maybe $12-13K. Inspection, documentation and cooperation is what works for me. I might have missed it, was there a COA to confirm numbers?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 29 2016, 04:32 PM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Aug 29 2016, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 29 2016, 04:00 PM) *

Interesting...your estimate is a little lower than mine was. Curious how you came to that...

Just noticed that the CL ad conveniently doesn't show the (very) mismatched door.

Because I start low if I can't run the engine or see the rockers. Seems to me your buying a running parts car with the limited information you have.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Aug 29 2016, 04:36 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 29 2016, 06:18 PM) *

I would be at $10K tops. Now if the owner were to cooperate and allow a thorough PPI with rockers off, up in the air, etc., the price would rise accordingly. However I would still not be at $17K. But maybe $12-13K. Inspection, documentation and cooperation is what works for me. I might have missed it, was there a COA to confirm numbers?

That's almost exactly where my numbers came out, too. There's no COA. Omitting a pic of the mismatched door on CL (and showing one with the door open so you can't see the tremendous difference in shade) is an indication that this is a "buyer beware" kind of seller. Bummer.
+Quote Post
carl s
post Aug 31 2016, 08:55 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 20,250
Region Association: England

This might not be the right colour Green but have you seen this one: http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5733475300.html
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 31 2016, 08:59 AM
Post #13

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

The 7mm screws at the end of each valance were missing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) so it was only a matter of removing the 3-10mm bolts on each to expose the lower portion of the rockers. I pointed out that it would only take 5 min. My guess is that someone had those off and that they DON'T want them revealed, again!
+Quote Post
74ravenna
post Sep 1 2016, 03:32 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,032
Region Association: North East States

No affiliation.

Have you seen this yet?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5734165202.html
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Sep 1 2016, 12:59 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(74ravenna @ Sep 1 2016, 05:32 AM) *

No affiliation.

Have you seen this yet?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5734165202.html

Thanks for the link. Yep, I looked at that one a few weeks back and spoke with the owner. He tells me that the color isn't original to the car...and it's not even a porsche color. Said he had it repainted and just chose a color he liked. Why he would go that far and not use L65K is beyond me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

the hunt continues.....!
+Quote Post
Karmann11
post Sep 1 2016, 02:32 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 20,017
Region Association: England

Re OC Rav green car. I have asked several times for the engine number, but kept emailing me back with how much he had spent on the engine rebuild...... You want to know what you are going to find when you are travelling a long way to buy a car.

Have to say 914 world is a great forum, many thanks to all involved.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Sep 1 2016, 03:18 PM
Post #17

Yeah, that pretty much seems to be his M.O. It's too bad cause all that behavior does is drive serious buyers away. I suppose there's always the chance that a noob will just fork over 17K. But even if that happens, it won't end there when he takes it to a mechanic and discovers all the issues. It'll be a mess.

Kent drove out to see the car for me and did as thorough a PPI as possible (given that the car wasn't safe to drive b/c of a (likely) fuel line leak.)

I asked the owner if he'd be open to an offer (I usually find that works better than just hitting them with what they'll view as a lowball) and he never even responded back. Total lack of courtesy considering Kent and I went through the trouble of a PPI. Buyer beware!
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 8 2016, 01:51 AM
Post #18

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I have a customer that is selling his car, pretty much bone sock 2.0 with the injection on it still and really clean looking. I haven't see the hell hole, but if it is Ravenna I may have found you a car. I'll PM you if it is (and put you directly in touch).
Mark
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 8 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #19

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Sorry Saturn Yellow I'll get you the info if you are interested. looks very clean
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Sep 8 2016, 09:22 PM
Post #20

Thanks so much for keeping an eye out for me, Mark! Parts-maker AND match-maker? You're awesome...
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:52 AM