Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New original design, posters and t-shirts
Optimusglen
post Nov 4 2016, 08:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

EDIT: I made this original post awhile ago. While I can still do posters there was not enough interest to go for a big screen printing order so shirts are off the table.

What do you all think?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c2.staticflickr.com-19709-1478185557.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c2.staticflickr.com-19709-1478185557.2.jpg)

Will be making a few small edits before print, like adding a subtle license plate, but any other glaring issues you see?

It's an original design, created to mimic a comic book style.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
don-6
post Nov 4 2016, 08:28 AM
Post #2

Stock vs Modified?

Member No.: 17,219
Region Association: Southwest Region

Great design!
+Quote Post
ben*james
post Nov 4 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #3

LIFER

Member No.: 10,062
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I really like the poster. Not sure I'd have the exhaust ports so close together though. I'm in for one though regardless!
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 4 2016, 09:41 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

Looks awesome
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 4 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #5

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

2 down, he's about to be boxed in by the trailers. Maybe swap lanes implying passing?

Yellow corners are euro taillights if going for accuracy.

Colored needles makes me think colored lenses in the others?

4 down, black rear window blends with the lid and looks off when all other windows are their own shade.

plate, seventy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Nov 4 2016, 02:41 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707

I think it looks really nice. I do think it is a little busy for a Tee Shirt. I see 3 shirt designs not one. But that is my opinion
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Nov 4 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Looks great, but I'm curious too-- what's with the trucks?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Nov 4 2016, 05:22 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I like the design but not on the front of the shirt... maybe a small logo or a single smaller frame on the upper front left of the shirt - think some of the Harley shirts you've seen. Other changes at your discretion but I'd be in for at least one with my ideas. Nice work!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 4 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #9

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I am in for 2 regardless. Maybe add a 914-6 emblem and trunk button on the rear? I would also cut the interior view and reduce to 3 views. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mr.Nobody
post Nov 4 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,557
Region Association: Southern California

I dig it on the front of the shirt, I'll definitely take one.
+Quote Post
SO.O.C914er
post Nov 4 2016, 09:50 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 20,199

The shirt is on fire. I agree small logo in the front big in the back. Drop the 914-6 just make it a 914 that covers the group overall. I'm in for two navy blue or black. Paul
+Quote Post
My 914
post Nov 5 2016, 06:08 AM
Post #12

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

I think its an awesome poster. I also agree with some of the other posts that the design is too busy for the front of a shirt, but do feel that any one of the cars alone would look great on a shirt as a logo.
+Quote Post
carcus
post Nov 5 2016, 09:36 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 19,760
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Keep me updated. Interested. Still looking for a 914 hat also.
+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Nov 6 2016, 07:43 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 14,487

I would defiantly be interested in a shirt...
+Quote Post
kid914
post Nov 6 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #15

ALWAYS lead...NEVER follow!!!!

Member No.: 12,811
Region Association: Canada

in for a shirt. would be nice in a cotton blend. ;-) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Nov 7 2016, 08:31 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 19,709

I have to continually remind myself some important things about being a designer and artist. My day job is a mechanical and industrial designer, and it seems these things are constants.

First, I have to listed to constructive criticism.

Second, when you're a designer and you design something and ask for opinions, suddenly every person you ask is also a designer and artist. Tongue in cheek of course.

Third, to keep this as something I love to do I need to follow my own artistic eye, even if that means loosing potential sales. Trying to please everyone is a sure way to please no-one.

I say this because I've made some changes based on some of your thoughts. And because I ignored other ideas many of you had. If that bugs you, I'm sorry, please move along.

Changes:
-gauge needles are no longer orange. I decided to keep this all black and white.
-the car was having an identity crisis with US spec front signals, euro spec rear lenses, and no badges. I've updated the rear signals and added a badge and rear trunk button.
-also added a license plate, I didn't go with some cheeky quip, left it pretty normal, it's actually the old plate number of my current car
-officially, the car will be a 914-6 with flares added, because I didn't want the additional GT stuff (i.e. trunk tie downs, GT engine lid, etc)
-window colors have been corrected
-and I added a little detail here and there.

For the shirts I am going to pursue non-screen printed versions, I'll get a couple test shirts made to gauge quality and price. But the goal is to get away from the minimum order needed for screen printed shirts. This also means that I can do multiple styles. As of now I'd do one of my original placement, and another that has the whole comic on the back, and just a small car on the upper front off to the side.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c2.staticflickr.com-19709-1478529069.1.jpg)

Many of you might notice that the PORSCHE text is absent, I've been going back and fourth on this aspect. On one hand, I love that layout of text on the engine lid. On the other, I'm trying to avoid anything that could be considered copyright infringement. Recently some of my artwork was reported as such on my print shop website, merely because the titles of the pieces included the words Audi on one and BMW on the other. It's a little maddening.

Anyway, that's the update. I'll be getting some test prints today for the poster, and shirt information will follow down the line.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 7 2016, 09:18 AM
Post #17

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

The question I have is what was the original Japanese spec for the lights on the car, did it have the solid red or did it have the Euro tails/front turns??

Also I would love to see the turn signal in the boxed picture, In the Anime they always use their signals (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I would be 100% interested in this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Maybe you should explain what the background/art style is about? I dont think it would detract from the potential buyers as its a fantastic story between man and machine.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 8 2016, 08:17 AM
Post #18

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I want 2 XL shirts - these would be very cool in sweat shirt too. I like the idea of a small image on chest and the large image on the rear. Nice work and thanks for doing this and opening yourself up to comments. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Nov 9 2016, 12:41 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

First of all, I have to say that I respect that you're staying true to your own aesthetic. You're the artist.

Second, you've got a lot of talent. This is obvious from this graphic and also the images in your other thread. Nicely done.

Finally (not that it matters, see my first comment) here's what I prefer about the first version: I like the orange needle on the tachometer, and I liked the trailer in the second frame intruding into the first frame.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 9 2016, 01:20 AM
Post #20

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Nov 8 2016, 11:41 PM) *

First of all, I have to say that I respect that you're staying true to your own aesthetic. You're the artist.

Second, you've got a lot of talent. This is obvious from this graphic and also the images in your other thread. Nicely done.

Finally (not that it matters, see my first comment) here's what I prefer about the first version: I like the orange needle on the tachometer, and I liked the trailer in the second frame intruding into the first frame.

The trailer overlap stood out, which made it the center of attention, but it's not the main character.

I liked the orange needles too, it gave that scene it's "character". I think orange exhaust would add to the overall appeal of action with the main character.

I think the six bumper "indent" has sharper looking corners. Could just be my eyes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I did graphic design for a decade, mostly signs, a few logos. I tend to notice the little things (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Hope you don't mind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 08:15 AM