Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Exhaust paint
Cal
post Feb 4 2017, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

I recently purchased an original exhaust for my '74 2.0L that's in excellent condition. I was thinking of using the VHT SP104 high heat flat grey paint to finish it off....any advise on other paints that I should consider?

I'm also going to repaint the heater control flaps, boxes and pipes in satin black.....do those need high heat paint as well?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Next
post Feb 4 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 4 2017, 02:47 PM) *

I recently purchased an original exhaust for my '74 2.0L that's in excellent condition. I was thinking of using the VHT SP104 high heat flat grey paint to finish it off....any advise on other paints that I should consider?

I'm also going to repaint the heater control flaps, boxes and pipes in satin black.....do those need high heat paint as well?

Very nice. I wouldn't paint it if I were you.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 4 2017, 02:22 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Congratz on the find Jeff! Is it the Leistritz or Bischoff?

Try emailing to Bev & Tom Gould at TC's Garage & ask them to check if they've been able to find the "Porsche Exhaust Gray" which Wurth used to sell, since they're Wurth dealers, Tom is an ex-914er, & they're both some of our most experienced Concours judges in Zone 8.

email Tom at tom@tcsgarage.com or call 760-891-8151

Their website is having some tech problems right now at: tcsgarage.com ....

.... but their Facebook page is working at:
https://www.facebook.com/TCsGarage/?ref=page_internal

If they can't find the Wurth, then ask them what they used on BeeVee's 911 exhaust. You can say that I referred you for their expertise.

Stoddard's used to sell it too.

Otherwise, you may need to do a color match, cuz that Hi-Temp paint isn't really close to the gray Porsche has used on their 149-90's +/- exhaust systems.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 4 2017, 02:57 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Jeff, see the PM I just sent you on this.

Stoddards/NLA, Sierra Madre Collection (see banner ad on here), & other Porsche parts suppliers who carry Wurth may also be sources.

http://www.stoddard.com/

http://www.nlaparts.com/store/
> (Stoddard's 356 e-Store that used to carry Wurth' Porsche Exhaust Gray paint)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 4 2017, 03:32 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I ordered exhaust paint from Stoddard in November 2016. Still waiting. I guess I will try calling Monday.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 9 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #6

TMI....

Jeff,

FYI - per my PM, here's a close-up pic of where the Bischoff name is on my older but low mile OEM 2.0 Banana muffler from 1980-ish - between the rivets on the inside facing forward when installed, & between the L & R exhaust inlets. I'd assume that the Bishoff, Leistritz or other mfgr name on your new/NOS one is in a similar location, or they may just use a simple logo by the 2010-11 date on yours.

Attached Image

BTW - the 04 7 on there is not the date for mine, since I put it on the car in 1980-ish & still have a lifetime warranty from Midas on it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Feb 10 2017, 08:00 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,103

I've used the VHT SP-104 for years. It doesn't last very long, especially after driving in the rain a couple of times. It will eventually show some rust.

They only thing that will last is to have it ceramic coated. Expensive but will last a very long time.

Dave
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 10 2017, 10:14 AM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I've had the best luck with black BBQ/wood stove paint, but it doesn't stand to any road debris for much more than a couple years. Also some cheap ceramics (china T1 stuff for one example) also don't stand up to the real world for very long.
You gets what you pays for.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 11 2017, 07:15 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Talked to Stoddard yesterday, they no longer have exhaust paint in the spray can. It is now only by the quart for $60. Not going to work for the average person.
+Quote Post
Cal
post Feb 11 2017, 08:44 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 11 2017, 08:15 AM) *

Talked to Stoddard yesterday, they no longer have exhaust paint in the spray can. It is now only by the quart for $60. Not going to work for the average person.

Sierra Madra carries the Stoddard grey exhaust paint in a spray can. Has anyone used this before?

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/High-...rey-p28203.html

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Feb 11 2017, 08:50 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

I used 3m Weld Through on my stock 911 muffler. I tried it because it is what I had and was tired of spending $ and making parts runs. It has held up extremely well with track use over 18 months. Three years total time. No used in wet conditions though. I would buy a can to do this again. I wire wheeled and cleaned before I sprayed.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 11 2017, 12:06 PM
Post #12

TMI....

QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 11 2017, 06:44 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 11 2017, 08:15 AM) *

Sierra Madra carries the Stoddard grey exhaust paint in a spray can. Has anyone used this before?

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/High-...rey-p28203.html

Jeff,

Double check back with Stoddard to verify that this at SMC is the same paint as their quarts, & that they're both the same color as the former Wurth Exhaust Grey Paint.

If it is, then it will be a good match to the 1950's - 70's Porsche exhaust grey color, but may show up a bit lighter than the paint currently on your muffler. I'm not sure it it was a tad darker grey originally, or if it's darkened with age & oxidation.

I've judged several 356s & 911/912s with their exhausts done in the Wurth/Stoddard Porsche Exhaust Grey, & they look really good.

I'd suggest that you can paint both your muffler, & your SS HEs that you had an earlier topic about (if you're still planning to do so), at the same time with this exhaust paint, so that everything is in the same grey & same age for oxidation/color fade/change over time. So try to buy all of your paint at the same time from the same case(s)/batch, so that they're all in the same color mix batch - rather getting some now & more later. Also get a can or two extra at the same time/batch in case you need to do any future touch-ups.

Thanx for doig the research on the current supplier on this.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 11 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #13

TMI....

QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 11 2017, 06:50 AM) *

I used 3m Weld Through on my stock 911 muffler. I tried it because it is what I had and was tired of spending $ and making parts runs. It has held up extremely well with track use over 18 months. Three years total time. No used in wet conditions though. I would buy a can to do this again. I wire wheeled and cleaned before I sprayed.

Wurth also makes a high-zinc (98% IIRC) weld-through primer which dries to a similar grey to the Porsche Exhaust Grey color - which I've used to prime areas on my 914 after wire-wheeling off surface rust as a rust preventative holding measure as I slowly work on my 914.

But I don't know if theirs, 3M's nor Eastwood's zind-rich weld-through primers are high temp for use on exhaust systems.

If so, then I would still use them as the primer coat to prevent more rust, then top coat with something like the Stoddard Porsche Exhaust Grey Hi-temp paint as the top coat, since the primer is more porous, while the paint will seal out the moisture better.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Cal
post Apr 3 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #14

Update.....I ended up using the VHT SP100 primer and the VHT SP104 flat grey finish paint. It turned out very close to the factory grey color and very easy to work with. I just need to cure it per the manufacture specs.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 3 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #15

TMI....

That looks real nice Jeff!
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Jett
post Apr 3 2017, 08:28 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Great job, looks clean.

...also motivating me to do the same (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 4 2017, 03:21 PM
Post #17

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

I don't know if you considered it but I ceramic coated mine silver for the 6 conversion and it came out like this. I love it. Not original looking but pretty cool. There may be a ceramic grey. Cost was $150 here just north of San Diego. Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 4 2017, 03:52 PM
Post #18

TMI....

For those looking for a PC or Ceramic option close to OEM gray -

There are both a Ceramic & a Hi-Temp PC Gray which is very close to the original Porsche "Exhaust Gray" paint shade, but you have to really go thru the color chips books to find the right one, & then compare it with the actual paint on an NOS exhaust part or the OEM paint in the sunlight for a proper match.

While it looks like a beautiful PC job on your -6 Banana - that's way too much "butt-bling" on a 914 for me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
.... ergo I'm considering painting or Ceramic or HT PC coating gray on my SSI SS HEs, to match the Leistritz Sport Banana 2L muffler for my 73 2L.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 4 2017, 04:55 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

You might try West Coast Powder at 925 682-4828. I spoke with Kelly.

They have a light gray and a white that interested me, but while the light gray is close it has some sheen to it. If you want true factory looks that will last, I was told one way to get there is to ceramic coat it, then etch the coating, then apply another coat (primer) in a ceramic setup, and then finally hit it with light gray VHT.

I have tried the VHT route and it peeled quickly. It's a non-starter for me.

Jet Hot Coatings offers a nice light gray as well. It has a very small amount of sheen to it, as well, but I may go that way.

Let us know how it goes if you beat me to it, will you?

pete
+Quote Post
mb911
post May 5 2017, 05:25 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Look up cerakote. Its a ceramic paint and is high temp. Either oven bake or air cure. I use air cure for my 911 fan and fan housings restorations.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:37 PM